Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-09-2007, 07:11 PM #1
Ojay72

has been a member for 10 years
Brand New Outkast PUMP weirdness...HELP!

Would appreciate some advice on this...thanks in advance!

Picked up a brand new Outkast Sniper II yesterday and took it out back. I notice that the gun makes a "farting" or "quacking" sound when it fires. I also noticed that if I DONT HOLD the cocking handle when I shoot, it shoots nice and quiet like it should. How do I fix this?

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3252918
Ojay72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2007, 08:38 PM #2
bmali98

i think this is just a characteristic of a pump gun. My cocker was quiet before i pumpified it. You dont hear the fart on an autococker because the gun is already re-cocking itself before the ball has left the barrel. The sound you are hearing is the valve vibrating open and shut after you have fired. The reason you dont hear it when you dont hold the handle is because the bolt is allowed to kick back and absorb some sound like a muffler and also it partially blocks the valves outlet port so the air and sound doesnt go down the barrel.
bmali98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:11 PM #3
cww516
clever text goes here

cww516 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
if you want to reduce that sound, you can turn up your reg and back off on the main spring. you probably have to tweak both to keep your velocity where you want it, though.
cww516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:20 PM #4
mht_thomp

mht_thomp is a Supporting Member
That's interesting about not holding the pump handle. In my Phantom manual, it says to always be sure to hold the pump handle when shooting in order to avoid velocity drop-off. You could ask a Phantom owner why exactly that is(I don't know myself); I know that that's not your problem, but it might be related to the same concept you described.
mht_thomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:41 AM #5
Ojay72

Thanks for all your input!!! As long as I know the gun is shooting consistently despite the farting sound then I'll be happy. I will call WGP tomorrow to confirm all of this and post what I learn here.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:00 AM #6
iluvthisgame

I will post here so you can leave fb for our transction. thanks
150+ and Counting-Perfect FB!!
PINOYBALLASOCIETY
Pinoy Balla Gear For Sale, Hit me up with a pm. Any purchase, get a PB T-Shirt for $5 more
iluvthisgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:14 PM #7
BanzaiBandits

The reason for the weird sound when your shooting your pump gun is because all the pressures in the gun is centered on the ball - on the flip side - the reason for the Autococker sounding different or more quite is because there are pneumatics - this causing some of the pressures in the marker to goto other areas of the marker - Some of the pressure on the ball is drawn back alot faster on an Autococker versus a pump gum - this given a different sound when you're shooting an Autococker versus a pump gun.

Last edited by BanzaiBandits : 09-10-2007 at 05:19 PM.
BanzaiBandits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:26 PM #8
Ojay72

Ok I just got word back from Eric (Tech Service) at WGP who consulted with Jeff Orr himself on my farting question. The quacking sound is the result of ALL the air pressure being exerted on the ball in a pump gun. When you let go of the pump handle and shoot, the bolt moves back a bit (recoils) and produces that quieter shot sound as in autocockers. In that situation, some air pressure exits up the feed tube and out the back block since the bolt is no longer fully forward/closed at that instant and reduces or eliminates the quacking. In an autococker, the pneumatics start pulling the bolt back/recocking so fast that this phenomenon is replicated. So basically you want your Sniper to QUACK so that you know you are getting max efficiency. Taking a shot over the chrono with your hand holding the pump handle forward and producing the quack chronos higher and more consitently than letting go of the pump handle for a quieter shot.

All your posts pretty much back up Jeff Orr's explanation.

Thanks again!

Happy quacking!

Last edited by Ojay72 : 09-10-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:25 PM #9
Craig Niland

Same exact thing happened with my 01 RF after I put a CCM kit on it. Oddly enough, the FPS was not affect at all[ rather or not the handle was being held, nor was accuracy, but it was quieter....
Old 09-10-2007, 07:25 PM #10
dyepb20

dyepb20 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cww516 View Post
if you want to reduce that sound, you can turn up your reg and back off on the main spring. you probably have to tweak both to keep your velocity where you want it, though.
nvm I figured it out

Last edited by dyepb20 : 09-10-2007 at 08:05 PM.
dyepb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:02 PM #11
Hnoppenberger
OC Cartel

haha. chrono your gun with you hand on the pump. then chrono with it off the pump

30fps difference. congrates, youve just learned how to cheat with a pump.
Hnoppenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:22 PM #12
Dr.StraightPride

Shooting at a higher FPS isn't really cheating. It's unsafe, yes but provides you with no advantage. The ball will most definitely NOT be as accurate. If you haven't noticed, when shooting a very hot gun (350 fps, for instance) it is incredibly inaccurate because the wind affects the ball's path much more drastically than a ball fired at a lower FPS.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:54 PM #13
itsmrbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojay72 View Post
Ok I just got word back from Eric (Tech Service) at WGP who consulted with Jeff Orr himself on my farting question. The quacking sound is the result of ALL the air pressure being exerted on the ball in a pump gun. When you let go of the pump handle and shoot, the bolt moves back a bit (recoils) and produces that quieter shot sound as in autocockers. In that situation, some air pressure exits up the feed tube and out the back block since the bolt is no longer fully forward/closed at that instant and reduces or eliminates the quacking. In an autococker, the pneumatics start pulling the bolt back/recocking so fast that this phenomenon is replicated. So basically you want your Sniper to QUACK so that you know you are getting max efficiency. Taking a shot over the chrono with your hand holding the pump handle forward and producing the quack chronos higher and more consitently than letting go of the pump handle for a quieter shot.

All your posts pretty much back up Jeff Orr's explanation.

Thanks again!

Happy quacking!
Thanks, that was just the info I needed.