Hey guys, posted this on AOG. I think some of you post/read strictly on PBN and might find this cool/informative. Enjoy...
I read a thread about someone who started to mess with this idea (http://angelowners.com/showthread.ph...Free+Flow+ERA)
. Not sure if it was ever accomplished or not. I know this mod I did is probably only going to interest the small population of the board since LCD's aren't as popular anymore but hey... at least I get it up on the forum so it's documented if anyone ever wants some ideas to beef up their LCD. Before I start a couple things. This is more of "How To" thread so I hope this is in the right section. I didn't want it to get lost in the tech section since it has solely to do with an LED/LCD/IR3 mod. Also, I know there are a lot of opinions based on the FF ERA mod and I'll just say this. I have other mods in my LCD such as a new valve with a very light UL valve spring. Having an adjustable LPR makes it easy for me to fine tune my gun and get the kick as low as possible. The FF ERA mod has been great and has gone through a handful of tourneys and practices w/out a hitch. With that said... lets get started...
Having an adjustable LPR is nice but can sometimes get annoying not knowing what the actual pressure is. I wanted an on board gauge that would stay on the gun and allow me to check the pressure any time I needed to. So, here is my solution.
DON'T FORGET TO CHECK OUT THE "HOW-TO" OF THE ERA MOD. CLICK HERE TO LINK TO THE "HOW-TO"
1.) I started with a simple KAPP volumizer...
2.) The next part was to tap the opening so I could insert a plug. Taking a quick trip to the hardware store I found that a 1/4 NPT plug would work best. So, I bought the plug and tapped the hole.
3.) The next step was to drill/tap a hole on the other side for the gauge. Gauges have a standard 1/8 NPT thread. You have to make sure you don't tap it too far since NPT threads are tapered to make a seal.
4.) The next step was a bit trickier. I needed to some how redirect the air that comes from the Micro Rock into the volly. I used a "T" fitting that has a 10/32 thread on it. This way I could run a hose from the Micro Rock to the Volly then out from the Volly to the LPR port on my gun. Trick with this step was that I had to make a flat surface on the side of the Volly. Thought about using a Dremel but a Dremel would round out the surface making it harder for the fitting to seal. I chose to use a square hand file and this is what I came up with.
After this step I used a 10/32 tap to tap the hole.
5.) So, at this point I had all the holes I needed, tapped and ready to go.
6.) The next step was to screw in the plug and the gauge. The white stuff is teflon tape. I didn't clean it up because this end is going into the battery tube.
(I'm currently using the WDP gauge that came with one of my tool kits, It's not the most accurate but until my Bob Long 0-160 comes in the mail... it'll do).
7.) The next step was mounting the modified Volly on the gun. After this step it was all plumbing. Screwing on the "T" Fitting and running the hoses to the proper places. The hose that comes off the Micro Rock goes onto one side of the "T" Fitting...
...while a hose comes off of the other side and goes into the LPR fitting on the gun.
At this point I was done. I gassed up my gun and had no leaks. Pressure was being read from the gauge so all was a success. A couple notes... make sure to tighten fittings enough to create seals, some fittings require a little more elbow grease (Plug and gauge) while other just need to be snug ("T" Fitting). Also make sure to use teflon tape on the gauge and plug. Make sure to clean out the Volly after you've finished drilling, tapping, and filing. There's a bunch of particles that are left behind that can't be good for the gun.
Here's how the gun looks with everything intact.
Installed the Bob Long 0-160 gauge. Pretty tight fit but works just fine w/out touching the barrel...
I know this won't be useful to a lot of people but if there's anyone who wants to put an onboard gauge on their LED/LCD/IR3, hopefully these ideas will help. If you're running the stock LPR, this mod will work as well. Just screw the volly on the LPR side (where my FF ERA is) and skip the "T" fitting and plug steps.
If you're doing this with the ERA mod, make sure you find a Volly that will fit with the LPR fitting in place (the fitting that feeds the noid from your Micro Rock). I initially tried this with a Dye volumizer and couldn't get it to screw in all the way.
Hope you enjoyed this write-up and man did I have some spare time to do it!