PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-29-2007, 01:28 PM #1
Poopshute
Chex5: "Um... shoot!"

Free Flow ERA MOD Gauge Addition (HOW TO) [repost from AOG]

Hey guys, posted this on AOG. I think some of you post/read strictly on PBN and might find this cool/informative. Enjoy...

I read a thread about someone who started to mess with this idea (http://angelowners.com/showthread.ph...Free+Flow+ERA). Not sure if it was ever accomplished or not. I know this mod I did is probably only going to interest the small population of the board since LCD's aren't as popular anymore but hey... at least I get it up on the forum so it's documented if anyone ever wants some ideas to beef up their LCD. Before I start a couple things. This is more of "How To" thread so I hope this is in the right section. I didn't want it to get lost in the tech section since it has solely to do with an LED/LCD/IR3 mod. Also, I know there are a lot of opinions based on the FF ERA mod and I'll just say this. I have other mods in my LCD such as a new valve with a very light UL valve spring. Having an adjustable LPR makes it easy for me to fine tune my gun and get the kick as low as possible. The FF ERA mod has been great and has gone through a handful of tourneys and practices w/out a hitch. With that said... lets get started...

Having an adjustable LPR is nice but can sometimes get annoying not knowing what the actual pressure is. I wanted an on board gauge that would stay on the gun and allow me to check the pressure any time I needed to. So, here is my solution.

DON'T FORGET TO CHECK OUT THE "HOW-TO" OF THE ERA MOD. CLICK HERE TO LINK TO THE "HOW-TO"

1.) I started with a simple KAPP volumizer...

2.) The next part was to tap the opening so I could insert a plug. Taking a quick trip to the hardware store I found that a 1/4 NPT plug would work best. So, I bought the plug and tapped the hole.

3.) The next step was to drill/tap a hole on the other side for the gauge. Gauges have a standard 1/8 NPT thread. You have to make sure you don't tap it too far since NPT threads are tapered to make a seal.

4.) The next step was a bit trickier. I needed to some how redirect the air that comes from the Micro Rock into the volly. I used a "T" fitting that has a 10/32 thread on it. This way I could run a hose from the Micro Rock to the Volly then out from the Volly to the LPR port on my gun. Trick with this step was that I had to make a flat surface on the side of the Volly. Thought about using a Dremel but a Dremel would round out the surface making it harder for the fitting to seal. I chose to use a square hand file and this is what I came up with.

After this step I used a 10/32 tap to tap the hole.

5.) So, at this point I had all the holes I needed, tapped and ready to go.

6.) The next step was to screw in the plug and the gauge. The white stuff is teflon tape. I didn't clean it up because this end is going into the battery tube.

(I'm currently using the WDP gauge that came with one of my tool kits, It's not the most accurate but until my Bob Long 0-160 comes in the mail... it'll do).

7.) The next step was mounting the modified Volly on the gun. After this step it was all plumbing. Screwing on the "T" Fitting and running the hoses to the proper places. The hose that comes off the Micro Rock goes onto one side of the "T" Fitting...

...while a hose comes off of the other side and goes into the LPR fitting on the gun.

At this point I was done. I gassed up my gun and had no leaks. Pressure was being read from the gauge so all was a success. A couple notes... make sure to tighten fittings enough to create seals, some fittings require a little more elbow grease (Plug and gauge) while other just need to be snug ("T" Fitting). Also make sure to use teflon tape on the gauge and plug. Make sure to clean out the Volly after you've finished drilling, tapping, and filing. There's a bunch of particles that are left behind that can't be good for the gun.

Here's how the gun looks with everything intact.

Installed the Bob Long 0-160 gauge. Pretty tight fit but works just fine w/out touching the barrel...

I know this won't be useful to a lot of people but if there's anyone who wants to put an onboard gauge on their LED/LCD/IR3, hopefully these ideas will help. If you're running the stock LPR, this mod will work as well. Just screw the volly on the LPR side (where my FF ERA is) and skip the "T" fitting and plug steps.

If you're doing this with the ERA mod, make sure you find a Volly that will fit with the LPR fitting in place (the fitting that feeds the noid from your Micro Rock). I initially tried this with a Dye volumizer and couldn't get it to screw in all the way.

Hope you enjoyed this write-up and man did I have some spare time to do it!

Lates!
Mile High Saints #1 Stunna! Wha, wha, wha, wha, WHA!
BLITZ PAINTBALL
My DM7, it makes me happy!!!

GO BUFFS

Last edited by Poopshute : 09-10-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Poopshute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2007, 02:06 PM #2
Carapace
+KA-B00M+

Carapace is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
I saw this on AOG... Figured someone would repost it eventually...

VERY good job, i may end up doing this in the near future...

I think This should be in the Ultimate Sticky an archived for obvious reasons...
Carapace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:08 PM #3
hybridkilla07

Doesnt help me but i'm sure it will help others.. quite the craftsman you are
RED RAPPER F/S 650!
hybridkilla07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:05 PM #4
Poopshute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carapace View Post
I saw this on AOG... Figured someone would repost it eventually...

VERY good job, i may end up doing this in the near future...

I think This should be in the Ultimate Sticky an archived for obvious reasons...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridkilla07 View Post
Doesnt help me but i'm sure it will help others.. quite the craftsman you are
Thanks, guys. I'm JawCrusher on AOG. If anyone has any questions or needs help, please let me know. Always willing to share knowledge with others.
BLITZ PAINTBALL

GO BUFFS

Last edited by Poopshute : 08-29-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:06 PM #5
Vegard
LOST

Vegard is a Supporting Member
Vegard is a founding member
Vegard is Boss
Holy snap, haven't seen this mod done in a while..
I'll get the link ulti'd when I get back on my laptop, cellphone surfing isn't ideal for modding
-growing older is mandatory – growing up is optional-
Vegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:20 PM #6
Poopshute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
Holy snap, haven't seen this mod done in a while..
I'll get the link ulti'd when I get back on my laptop, cellphone surfing isn't ideal for modding
Damn, never thought it would get this many props! And now talk of getting linked on the Ultimate Sticky!?! I'm flattered guys!
BLITZ PAINTBALL

GO BUFFS

Last edited by Poopshute : 08-29-2007 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:47 AM #7
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Couldn't you just have used boostmonkey's gauge? Of course, then I guess you wouldn't be able to have it on there all the time. You gotta stick with the WDP gauge though, the others are too big. Looks good though. That whole gun is just a blast from the past
dr.strangelove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:10 AM #8
Poopshute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Couldn't you just have used boostmonkey's gauge? Of course, then I guess you wouldn't be able to have it on there all the time. You gotta stick with the WDP gauge though, the others are too big.
Yeah, having the gauge on there at all times was the idea that led me to do this. I really wanted a gauge that was permanent and I could check at the chrono station without hooking/unhooking stuff. I do like the angel gauge because of it's size and easy to read pressure (even though it's in BAR). Only problem is that it's made completely of plastic. If you look closely at the pictures above you'll see that the display has already cracked. I had to super glue the display portion back on the gauge. One good shot to that gauge and I have a feeling it would be in pieces. Seeing as how it's mounted right there on front, I don't think it would've taken much time for it to get shot. The Bob Long reads in psi and is the smallest gauge (both in psi range and size) that I could find. I just feel more secure having the Bob Long gauge on there since it's definitely made a lot tougher than the Angel gauge I have. Keep in mind that that Angel gauge came off my toolkit that usually has a cap over it. Definitely not made to be exposed during game play.

Quote:
That whole gun is just a blast from the past
Yes, it is an old school Angel. I get heckled quite a bit by my peers at the field calling it "an old man's gun", etc... Shoot, I'm only 27 and bought the gun about 2 years ago. I've just had such great luck with this gun as far as performance and reliability that I see no reason to trade it in! It's got an A4 Fly board in it and shoots just as fast as anything else out there. I'm way happy with it.

Quote:
Looks good though.
Thanks, man. I was wondering when you were going to post your .02 about this mod. ;-)
BLITZ PAINTBALL

GO BUFFS
Old 08-30-2007, 01:19 AM #9
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

I know what you mean about the gauge. My Rock IR3 came with a really similar one (the housing was metal, but the gauge was the same), and I ended up cracking it putting in on.

Definitely nothing wrong with a blast from the past either. I wasn't heckling. It's actually quite nostalgic.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:26 AM #10
Poopshute

Quote:
I know what you mean about the gauge. My Rock IR3 came with a really similar one (the housing was metal, but the gauge was the same), and I ended up cracking it putting in on.

Definitely nothing wrong with a blast from the past either. I wasn't heckling. It's actually quite nostalgic.
Ha, no worries, Doc. I didn't mean to accuse you. Just a lot of 15 year olds at the field who were half their age when this gun came out. It's actually quite entertaining hearing their comments. It's all in good fun and even better when I shoot them with it. It really is too bad WDP didn't come out with a better on-board LPR gauge because I would've definitely been all over it.

You know, there's nothing like speedball to make someone in their mid 20's feel "old" due to the company that surrounds them. I might have to go back to the woods when I turn 30 to feel young again. *sigh*.
BLITZ PAINTBALL

GO BUFFS
Old 07-09-2010, 08:54 PM #11
the_great_turd
Leagelize it

the_great_turd is a Supporting Member
hey what psi do the hpr and lpr run at? also great looking lcd i have the same gun but its blind and not as uped. hey also did you send your gun into warped airsmithing.
the_great_turd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:57 AM #12
Poopshute

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_great_turd View Post
hey what psi do the hpr and lpr run at? also great looking lcd i have the same gun but its blind and not as uped. hey also did you send your gun into warped airsmithing.
Man, I haven't messed with this Angel in SOOO long. I've gone on to DM's now. Can't remember what I had it set to. Never sent it into warped. It came to me used already drilled and milled for the eyes. I believe it was warped who did it.
BLITZ PAINTBALL

GO BUFFS
Old 07-10-2010, 02:03 AM #13
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

TRAITOR!

LPR on an LCD should be set to 87 psi, unless you've got some kind of modifications that allow you to reduce it (reduced weight hammer and lightened valve spring, for instance).
Old 07-10-2010, 02:31 AM #14
Poopshute

Quote:
TRAITOR!

LPR on an LCD should be set to 87 psi, unless you've got some kind of modifications that allow you to reduce it (reduced weight hammer and lightened valve spring, for instance).
I know, I know... the LCD just wasn't shooting brittle paint in cold weather. Wanted to go a different route. Lovin' spool valve guns now, though! Anyways, I'll air up the 'ol beast sometime and see what my settings were left at.
BLITZ PAINTBALL

GO BUFFS
Old 07-10-2010, 04:54 AM #15
Recluse tha Ripper
killin since 1994

Very nice. It would have been nice to have all is this stock back then
Recluse tha Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote