PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-27-2007, 02:58 PM #1
soapkiller
I are speak gewd english!

BT-4 or 98 Custom

I was thinking about buying the 98 custom, but then I discovered the BT-4 and thought about buying that.

I am really not sure which one to buy and need help. I also posted this on the Tippman section but decided I should get both sides of the story.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2007, 05:12 PM #2
Camo Charlie

soapkiller... I am very happy with my BT-4 and I have no complaints. I used to own both. I recently sold my 98 Custom to a friend starting to get more serious about paintball -- he was eye balling my BT-4 and wanted me to sell it to him, but is happy the choice that I gave him.

Both are solid, durable, reliable markers, but the BT-4 is it is a lot easier to field strip and reassemble -- less parts and pins to lose.

There are some nice upgrades that the BT-4 shares with the 98 and A-5 including those that are marker specific (ie. Rip Clip.) Internally, the BT-4 is similar to the 98 but it is threaded to accept A-5 barrels.

With it's separate grip/trigger assembly, the BT-4 will accept a Response Trigger or e-grip, where as the 98 can only be upgraded to the RT (as far as I know.)

Check out the BT Warrior Online forum (http://bt.warrior-online.com/forum/index.php)

Last edited by Camo Charlie : 06-27-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:37 PM #3
soapkiller

ok thank you
Old 06-27-2007, 06:05 PM #4
Camo Charlie

I stand corrected. I found a 98 with an e-grip. Still, it looks like more of a pain in the arse to change batteries than the BT. Remove the grip or disassemble your marker? Hmmm?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:29 PM #5
SOGSnakebite (Banned)

Used my 98c for over 5 years and its been a great marker, but my BT4 is leagues ahead in maintenance ease.

I think of the BT4 as the natural evolution of the 98c, same rugged reliability in a more user friendly and milsim package
Old 06-27-2007, 10:47 PM #6
Jakeanator12
i am the boogyman!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo Charlie View Post
I stand corrected. I found a 98 with an e-grip. Still, it looks like more of a pain in the arse to change batteries than the BT. Remove the grip or disassemble your marker? Hmmm?
its takes like at most like 30 secconds 2 change the battery...
12 Oz Co2
16" Smart Parts Linear barrel
Tippmann Speedballers Club #18
Old 06-28-2007, 12:21 AM #7
soapkiller

urgh im in real indecision because the BT-4 seems like a good idea but the 98c would be much cheaper
Old 06-28-2007, 01:50 AM #8
twoguyssports

Both markers are the same on the inside. Both use the same power tube, same valve, same front and rear bolt and etc. The real difference is price. THe MAP pricing for the BT($120) is $20 less then the Tippmann98($140).

Also like someone else said the e-trigger is way easier to install on the BT then the Tippmann. remove 2 bolts on the grip and it is off and just put the new e-trigger on. The Tippmann you have to seperate the two halves and remove the knock-outs, dick with the trigger, place each piece where it should go, piss with the stupid magnet, and then when you get it back together the real fun starts. It is called the WAS board and Tippmann's directions. Do not get me wrong the WAS board is a great board with all of its customization, but that is also its downfall. I guess the person at Tippmann who wrote the directions for the board was high that day or had a mean sense of humor. They make zero sense and it is missing steps. We direct our customers to the Wicked air Sportz site. Not like the old Tippmann e-triggers with the dials. Both use all the same parts inside the e-trigger; selenoid, capacitor, trigger switch, board, but the BT e-trigger has a better design. It doesn't have the long push rod, because the selenoid is at the top. Also the BT has DIP switches, so there is no "hold triger, push button, wait 6 secs., lift trigger, wait for green light, and etc" The BT etrigger is simplified, period.

Also the BT you have a real military standard 1913 picatinny rail top and bottom. Good for adding all that stuff that is useless in paintball, ie a scope, sight, or any other aiming device. (that's another topic)

The only difference is the cyclone feed. Currently it is not available for the BT. Other then that, that is the only real difference between the 2.

Personally I would choose the BT-4 Combat over the 98 custom. Take the $20 dollars you save and put it toward an e-trigger, which BT's is $10 cheaper then Tippys. and you will have a nice mechanical marker.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:58 PM #9
Camo Charlie

You can pick up a BT-4 Combat from Action Village for $105.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:57 PM #10
pbpro9118

ben tipman sold teh tipman to a corporation therefore teh tipmans arnt made with quality like they use to be ... go with a bt there way better!
Old 06-28-2007, 07:21 PM #11
soapkiller

well u see the only problem is that I can get the 98 w/ R.T for $139 and teh only way to get a BT w/ full auto is to get teh e-grip which will cost me $194, I want to get teh BT but it would wind up costing me more. Unless I just got the TechT fang trigger

*EDIT* Never mind, cuz the BT-4 shoots basically the same as the 98c, right? and the Triumph eXT shoots just like the 98c, right? and the upgrades I wanted to put on the 98c or teh BT-4 r already on the eXT, so really the only set back I have using my eXT is that I cant put a sight on it. Maybe if I save up I might buy an A5 next summer or so.

Last edited by soapkiller : 06-28-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:01 PM #12
SOGSnakebite (Banned)

U can actualy instal an RT on the BT also
Old 06-28-2007, 11:02 PM #13
twoguyssports

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbpro9118 View Post
ben tipman sold teh tipman to a corporation therefore teh tipmans arnt made with quality like they use to be ... go with a bt there way better!
Let me correct you pbpro9118 Ben Tippmann did not own Tippmann. That was owned by Dennis Tippmann Sr. Dennis sold the company to Summit Partners. And Summit partners let the Patent expire on the Tippmann gun design. Ben Tippmann (Nephew to Dennis) then made his gun and was supported by National. PMI at the same time came out with their clone Tippmann the PCS US5. Basically all of those markers are internally the same. Except only one is made in the US and that is the original Tippmann.
Now the question is, since NAtional and PMI were bought out and formed KEE Action, which marker is going to be dropped? BT or PCS?
Old 06-30-2007, 08:34 AM #14
Mike Grenade

Mike Grenade is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoguyssports View Post
Now the question is, since NAtional and PMI were bought out and formed KEE Action, which marker is going to be dropped? BT or PCS?
Would that really be necessary? K2 has dabbled in identical low-ends for years.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:16 PM #15
twoguyssports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Grenade View Post
Would that really be necessary? K2 has dabbled in identical low-ends for years.
Well look what happened when National came out with BT and PMI came out with the US-5. They both dropped Tippmann and then the lawsuits went flying. I could see them selling side by side for a while, but I bet w/in a year or so you will see the US-5 go Bye-bye. Just look to see who keeps coming out with more and more items. And that is BT. PCS hasn't updated their website (let alone their product line) in a long time.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:45 AM #16
SQUAD LEADER 09 (Banned)

I got both love both bt is great mil sim, my 98 is a great speedball gun ( i got it modded for speedball). I say bt just because I am mil sim but I also say 98 so whatever you want. But my bt is my primary so I say go bt.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:37 AM #17
Tomcat001

Just think of the BT-4 as the 98C and A5 combined, without all the problems. I know some will say "Hey, the A5 has the Cyclone feed system." Well plenty of those owners sat out a game or two because the Cyclone is finicky and if not set up right will turn your hopper into paint soup and when it does that you can't take it apart in the field and clean it. You have to take it back and take the everything off it to clean it. When, and its a rarity that a ball will break in the BT-4 (at least with mine 2), you can slide the hopper back, insert squeegee and pull it through and bang your back in business. If you do the research, you will find out that the BT-4 out shines both of those markers.

More and more proshops are selling the BT-4 more than the Tippmann line. The X7 helped Tippmann Sports (Summit Group) but not that much.

The reason why you are finding the 98C cheaper (they are normally higher priced than the Combat) is that they are out of production. The 98C ACT is current production run and they are more than the BT-4.

Last edited by Tomcat001 : 07-04-2007 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:49 PM #18
Chad K

the big difference between the a-5 and the BT is the cyclone feed( or if u were to get a cyclone feed syastem for ur 98c). THe cyclone feed is only 15bps feed rate compared to the BT-4 at 13bps feed rate. The BT-4's never chop also.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:19 PM #19
soapkiller

^^^^^ since you say that the bt-4 is the 98 and the a-5 combined does that mean it can take some of the shrouds for the a-5? and also the cyclone is really usless to me, I dont care for it since I can just get an electro hopper for cheaper.

and the reason I was finding cheaper 98's was becuase it was a refurbished 98 w/ RT

also can I install an e-grip on the bt-4?
Old 07-06-2007, 08:40 AM #20
SOGSnakebite (Banned)

Egripped Bt4 also running a Specops A5 F.O.G grip and many other upgrades, u can use 98c body kits with some modding....98c stocks and internals and A5 barrels and shrouds

A5 F.O.G grip
Old 07-11-2007, 07:42 PM #21
Waxball88
Ego♥

No vs. threads