PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-19-2007, 11:24 PM #1
Carnagge

Which degree has more potential Fiance or Accounting

I'm considering getting into Finance or going into the Accounting field.

I currently have a Liberal arts 2 year degree, work for a company that will pay for me to go back to school and is big enough company where I could transfer into areas where I could put either of these degree's to use.

I'm just confused on what really is the difference between finance degree, and accounting degree? I know they both heavily deal with numbers, and laws, taxes, and money management.

Any tips/helps better overview of the average jobs associated with these degree's?

68/4500 tank
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...2#post64366912
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2007, 06:48 AM #2
t_mo (Banned)
Baller Status

has been a member for 10 years
Well I recieved an Accounting/Finance degree. It was not a double major just dual studies sort of.

It really depends what you want to do after you get out of school. Do you see yourself working as an accountant? Or do you want to work finance?

The basic difference is accounting deals with the past (I'm generalizing). Accountants track and record the movement of cash inside of a company for reporting reasons.

Finance attempts to predict the future cash flows a company will receive, using models and statistical analysis. Finance also deals with the stock market because that is how many companies increase their cash.

They are very similar and I think knowledge of both is very important along with economics. Personally I went with the dual studies because I wanted flexibility and did not want to become a CPA.

I would take accounting intro courses, and finance intro courses and see which one you like better.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:39 PM #3
Carnagge

yah, It just seems there alot more accountant positions available right now over finance. I have a interest in both of them. But going to school and corprate america is completely different.

I wanted to know what the corprate feel was on typical job description for entry level was.

68/4500 tank
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...2#post64366912
Old 08-23-2007, 08:52 PM #4
t_mo (Banned)
Baller Status

has been a member for 10 years
There are so many jobs under the descriptions of "Accounting" and "Finance" it is really tough to nail down one single job.

I would search monster with those key words and see if anything sounds interesting to you.