PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-19-2007, 08:12 PM #1
Paint and Air

Writing board software

I have an idea for a new type of board for lower end guns, especially tippmanns. Iev found some manufactures who could produce the boards but does anyone have any idea how i would go about writing the software for it?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2007, 10:24 PM #2
pacasowithagun
SMASH! Now clean it up!!

pacasowithagun owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
pacasowithagun is an NCPA National Champion
im pretty sure u need a program and the you have to be able to flash the board with the new program. as for the actual programming, i kno how to do basic stuff (like open a valve) and program switches and eyes and such so just pm me if u have any questions about that.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:00 AM #3
TheIdeaGuy

You flash a chip, not a board? I thought you built the logic board around the chip (Whatever you are trying to do with it) and make the circuit a function controlled by the process... Maybe I am thinking backwards?...
Old 08-20-2007, 10:07 AM #4
pacasowithagun
SMASH! Now clean it up!!

pacasowithagun owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
pacasowithagun is an NCPA National Champion
im pretty sure ur right cause if i remember correctly you have inputs on one side fo the chip and outputs on the other and the chip acts as a switch to a certain extent. at least that is how i remember learning it.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:21 AM #5
Zeoalex
POLAR BEAR...ENGAGE!!!

Zeoalex plays in the APPA D4 division
Zeoalex has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zeoalex has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zeoalex has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
and if i'm correct you have to program it all in C++

Zodiac Paintball Coming Soon
حي على الفلاح

Timmy Clan! President!
Old 08-20-2007, 10:57 AM #6
Spitlebug
I'm rule 34...

Spitlebug is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Spitlebug donated to help Peyton Trent
Spitlebug has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Spitlebug has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Spitlebug is attending Decay of Nations VI
http://www.warpig.com/paintball/tech...s/basic_stamp/

Check that link. It depends on how you want to program your board. You can program your board in C and then convert that to ASM which is what most low level IC's use. Some use basic like the BS1-IC that I've been using for testing purposes. As TheIdeaGuy has stated, you design the board around your chip and the type(s) of solenoids to want to drive.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:24 AM #7
hp_lovecraft
Resident old timer

has been a member for 10 years
The warpig homebrew board article is a bit dated, but still completely useful in covering a on how to build a based board. It was done in the 90s, long before cheat modes and other speciality modes became commonplace.

BASIC is the most common hobbyist language. You could program a Basic Stamp without any real programming knowledge.

There is a sacrifice in speed, and funtionality, but for a typical paintball gun its MORE then required. At the other end, ASM is super fast, but can be very difficult when the programs become large, and hard to manage. "C" is the comprimise between usability, and funtionality, and is the industry standard for commercial boards.

nick
Old 08-20-2007, 01:03 PM #8
Dead_Body

If you've never written code for stuff and then cross compiled it for the specific controllers or even done any electronics in the first place then this is going to be a long uphill battle to learn the tools and then learn the programming and to learn to design the surrounding circuitry to interface the chip inputs and outputs to the various switches and to drive the solenoids or other gizmos.

It doesn't sound like you're looking for that level of commitment and self education. So if you want it done within a reasonable time you'll need to find someone that is already familiar with one of the lines of micro controllers and the interface designs to make it work with the various switches and solenoids.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:59 PM #9
TheIdeaGuy

But why? Why don't you just get a chip that does everything you want for cheap and then make a board for it? Its soooo much easier. Unless of course you want to have features that aren't currently available.
I'm sorta in that boat.