Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007, 07:00 PM #85
Potz4Prez
I am a thinking thing oo~
 
Potz4Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ohio, not Taipei - ****
Potz4Prez is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
What? No close? No trigger pull!?!?!
__________________
flickr-Has, but does not condone the sharing of, noodz.

"Originally Posted by AndyAllen019: Potz is the GDT.."

"Originally Posted by gentimmy: potz ur my hero"

"Originally Posted by AndyAllen019: By far the funniest post I have seen in quite some time[...] Well played, good sir, well played."
Potz4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2007, 08:10 PM #86
chris_arnet
V-Neck
 
chris_arnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_arnet View Post
sry to kill your roll bro, but photography does take a bit of talent and know how. they are each difficult in there own ways, however.....

some people are born drawing. people cant be born photographers. no doubt, some are better than others, but even the best photographers in the world didnt just pick up a camera and knew how to get everything just right. theres exposure, lighting, iso and alot of other stuff that has to be gotten right to make a picture. true, you can learn, but you can also learn how to paint if one tries hard enough. honestly, i think that painting/drawing and photography are damn near equals.
i honestly want to know what was so funny about what i said
__________________
it's ironic.
chris_arnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:47 PM #87
Snakeplayer.
Tom Cruise.
 
Snakeplayer.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: University of Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_arnet View Post
i honestly want to know what was so funny about what i said
Don't worry about it sweetheart.
Snakeplayer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:25 PM #88
chris_arnet
V-Neck
 
chris_arnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeplayer. View Post
Don't worry about it sweetheart.
seriously, i wanna know
__________________
it's ironic.
chris_arnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:39 PM #89
ST: Photo Hard Truth (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
When you describe Obama as the white woman's cantidate, it expresses humor because the obvious pick for a white woman is Hilary Clinton. Look meet me after the health care for all rally, and then I'll really explain. Until then keep your head up and don't let words bring you down.
ST: Photo Hard Truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:48 PM #90
Benjammin822
burp
 
Benjammin822's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: atl
Quote:
Originally Posted by mllanos1111 View Post
It was in response to two of your remarks below.

Photography is not art guys. Real art takes true talent and a real dedicated effort to be made. All of you trying to defend photography as an art are simply retarded and have never tried to paint or artistically doodle. If photography was really art, then Van Gogh would have used a Leica instead of a brush. I mean you wouldn't take away Picasso's guitar right?

Geeze, all you guys with your neat little cameras think you're all so high and mighty. You all suck.


and this one:

Originally Posted by Snakeplayer. View Post
I sure wish I shot film so I could be as ridiculously elitist as you. Obviously if I went into a darkroom and spent an hour with an enlarger I would have an incredible print that absolutely must be considered art, right? However, if I "press the button" then "dump it into Photoshop" and spend an hour in my digital work flow, it's not nearly as artistic or creative as that hour spent in the darkroom?


Don't respond to this. I don't really care to hear your answer anyways.
I'm sorry, but you're an idiot.
__________________
Benjammin822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:54 PM #91
ST: Photo Hard Truth (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjammin822 View Post
I'm sorry, but you're an idiot.
Obama is an idiot?! Because he's black right? **** you you piece of **** racist.
ST: Photo Hard Truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:00 PM #92
Romance
Hustle
 
Romance's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oregon
Romance is a Supporting Member


awkward that i find the photograph more interesting than the painting in it? Not at all.

Now if this was a painting of a photographer trying to take "the perfect" picture of a building, that might be interesting.
__________________
"Originally posted by jord138: lousy heroes' only rival is porn."

f e e d b a c k
Romance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:32 PM #93
Deimus85
Playground Legend
 
Deimus85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 609
Deimus85 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Deimus85 plays in the PSP
Deimus85 is an NCPA National Champion
Deimus85 is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overgrownm00se View Post


Many abstract paintings such as this sell for millions of dollars. It is a painting of 3 differently colored rectangles. How can photography be considered a lower form of art than this?
The fact that you placed this form of art on a lower scale than others just proves that you know very little about what Art is.
__________________
The Playground Paintball Park The PGPL
DLXValkenCaptain O-RingRaza

Playground Legends/Fast Five/Drexel University NCPA Alumni/Bulldogs Athens Millennium/Washington Winstons
Feedback
Deimus85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:49 PM #94
therealmr
\\\\\ i go on walks /////
 
therealmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Behind your eyes
therealmr is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
therealmr is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimus85 View Post
The fact that you placed this form of art on a lower scale than others just proves that you know very little about what Art is.
Why.

I don't consider that artistic. I do believe that whoever created it did so in an artistic manner, and had a strong idea/emotion behind it... but that doesn't mean I have to acknowledge it as art.

Like I said before, trying to compare art forms is really comparing drastically different things... too different to really place one above another.

It comes down to how you were raise (to believe what art is/what your definition of art is), which is filled in by outside influences (desire to fit in/societal pressures). So the fact that YOU whole-heartedly believe that is art is 100% OK in my book. My definition of art does not see that piece as artistic. Does that mean I know little about what art is? No. It simply means that you and I disagree about our definitions of what it is. Is that so bad? No. Disagreements on what art is & is not is what fosters artistic developments... and I'm all for that
__________________
xyz

I want to be remembered for the
people I helped make memorable;
personal success is overrated if it
doesn't help everyone's progress.
therealmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:00 PM #95
Deimus85
Playground Legend
 
Deimus85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 609
Deimus85 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Deimus85 plays in the PSP
Deimus85 is an NCPA National Champion
Deimus85 is Immortal
That piece of art could have had the same amount of mental effort put behind it as a Michelangelo or Bernini or Leonardo DaVinci.

Just because somebody painted 3 colored boxes on a piece of cardboard, or used Cow feces in a painting of the Virgin Mary, or put a toilet bowl in a gallery with his signature on it, doesn't mean it is any less of an art form than some of the great masters of the renaissance, or the masters of impressionism, or the masters of the surreal, or any of the great names in art. Having an appreciation for all art is good, because it shows that you understand what art is all about. Now, not liking work, for instance, I do not like Diane Arbus's work at all. But I do appreciate it and the message she is conveying.

Art can be anything, its all in the eye of the beholder.

A blade of grass growing in an endless sea of grass can be art.

A mother breastfeeding her newborn can be art.

The killing of thousands of innocent refugees in Cambodia can be art.

The feeling you get when you jump off a cliff into water can be art.

Just as a painting of 3 simple boxes of colors can be art, a finger painting done by a gorilla in the zoo can be art.

People who are artistically minded are able to see those things as art and appreciate it. That is what I mean.
__________________
The Playground Paintball Park The PGPL
DLXValkenCaptain O-RingRaza

Playground Legends/Fast Five/Drexel University NCPA Alumni/Bulldogs Athens Millennium/Washington Winstons
Feedback
Deimus85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:52 PM #96
Potz4Prez
I am a thinking thing oo~
 
Potz4Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ohio, not Taipei - ****
Potz4Prez is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimus85 View Post
The killing of thousands of innocent refugees in Cambodia can be art.
Quite an open minded view of art.
__________________
flickr-Has, but does not condone the sharing of, noodz.

"Originally Posted by AndyAllen019: Potz is the GDT.."

"Originally Posted by gentimmy: potz ur my hero"

"Originally Posted by AndyAllen019: By far the funniest post I have seen in quite some time[...] Well played, good sir, well played."
Potz4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:04 PM #97
elTwitcho
***** ***** *****
 
elTwitcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Toronto Canada
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimus85 View Post
People who are artistically minded are able to see those things as art and appreciate it. That is what I mean.
Which is why anyone who put serious effort into responding to the hack who started this thread is a moron.
__________________
ST:Photo - Trust me, you made a wrong turn

A Haiku about Life - By Secret Asian Man
twitch slaps me around
he likes to make me his *****
Because of small cock
elTwitcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:38 PM #98
Overgrownm00se
Euphorically Oblivious
 
Overgrownm00se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Deep SE Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimus85 View Post
That piece of art could have had the same amount of mental effort put behind it as a Michelangelo or Bernini or Leonardo DaVinci.

Just because somebody painted 3 colored boxes on a piece of cardboard, or used Cow feces in a painting of the Virgin Mary, or put a toilet bowl in a gallery with his signature on it, doesn't mean it is any less of an art form than some of the great masters of the renaissance, or the masters of impressionism, or the masters of the surreal, or any of the great names in art. Having an appreciation for all art is good, because it shows that you understand what art is all about. Now, not liking work, for instance, I do not like Diane Arbus's work at all. But I do appreciate it and the message she is conveying.

Art can be anything, its all in the eye of the beholder.

A blade of grass growing in an endless sea of grass can be art.

A mother breastfeeding her newborn can be art.

The killing of thousands of innocent refugees in Cambodia can be art.

The feeling you get when you jump off a cliff into water can be art.

Just as a painting of 3 simple boxes of colors can be art, a finger painting done by a gorilla in the zoo can be art.

People who are artistically minded are able to see those things as art and appreciate it. That is what I mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimus85 View Post
The fact that you placed this form of art on a lower scale than others just proves that you know very little about what Art is.
The following is all my opinion. I don't want to make any enemies. I respect you for your opinion, but I also disagree with it.

Just putting mental effort into something doesn't make it art. That would mean that: Doing math problems is art. Playing video games is an art. Hell, writing this post would even be art.

Just putting emotion into something doesn't make it art either. If I get enraged about, say, a fight I have with my girlfriend and I end up punching a hole in a wall. If I cut out that section of wall and take it to a gallery does that also make it art?

The line has to be drawn somewhere or anything could be considered art. My personal line is obviously placed somewhere before completely abstract art.

And on a final note. Why won't this thread die? It's like a bad movie where they make an even worse sequel. And keep doing so for 5 or 6 re-iterations.
__________________
"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of moral crisis, remain in neutrality."
- Dante
Overgrownm00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:03 PM #99
therealmr
\\\\\ i go on walks /////
 
therealmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Behind your eyes
therealmr is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
therealmr is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimus85 View Post
People who are artistically minded are able to see those things as art and appreciate it. That is what I mean.
Great. You pretty much agree with me. You believe it is art, because your definition of art allows that to exist as art. Hence, you appreciate it as art. My definition of art does not allow that to exist as art. Hence, I do not appreciate it as art. This does not mean either of us are not artistically minded, but rather that we still just disagree on some of the ways to define art itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmr View Post
I don't consider that artistic. I do believe that whoever created it did so in an artistic manner, and had a strong idea/emotion behind it... but that doesn't mean I have to acknowledge it as art.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimus85 View Post
That piece of art could have had the same amount of mental effort put behind it as a Michelangelo or Bernini or Leonardo DaVinci.
And just to make sure you understood me correctly - I never said that there was less thought involved. I acknowledged that there could have been any amount of thought/emotion... I simply said that I did not believe it was art.
__________________
xyz

I want to be remembered for the
people I helped make memorable;
personal success is overrated if it
doesn't help everyone's progress.

Last edited by therealmr : 09-06-2007 at 05:07 PM. Reason: added double-quote
therealmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:37 PM #100
snuggles_smith
Juke Box Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bloomington, Indiana
You guys arn't seeing the real problem here. It depends on what skill level your talking about. Yeah, amatuer point and shoot photography might be easier then amatuer painting or sculpting, but when you get to the professionial level one isn't any easier then the other. Creativity is just as important if not more so then technical skill. Micheangelo(sp?) didn't create the Sistine Chapel scene with painting skill alone.

It doesn't help that society's art standards have dropped the last couple decades. These days all you need are some connections and you can display "professional" art, even if it just looks like a 3 year old on an acid trip spilled some paint on a canvas. If you can bull**** a "creative meaning" you can sell anything now. Like that painting with the 3 colored rectangles. Is it art? Sure. Did it require any technical skill? No. Does it belong in a respectable art gallery? No.
__________________
Xtreme Pump Players League
snuggles_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:55 PM #101
tonybhall
Mag Daddy
 
tonybhall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bama: Roll Tide!
tonybhall is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
tonybhall supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggles_smith View Post
Like that painting with the 3 colored rectangles. Is it art? Sure. Did it require any technical skill? No. Does it belong in a respectable art gallery? No.
listen... stop beating around the bush. Just call it what it is. It's ****! I can't believe anyone would call that art. If that's art, my back yard is an art gallery.
__________________
Bryan

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
tonybhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:14 PM #102
ssgaR
(yಠ,ಠ)y
 
ssgaR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nanaimo
ssgaR is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Its art, you just forgot to put on your arrogant hat and your pretentious glasses.
__________________
flickr

"Originally posted by paintchk2: You sir are an ***."
ssgaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:18 AM #103
Deimus85
Playground Legend
 
Deimus85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 609
Deimus85 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Deimus85 plays in the PSP
Deimus85 is an NCPA National Champion
Deimus85 is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggles_smith View Post
It doesn't help that society's art standards have dropped the last couple decades. These days all you need are some connections and you can display "professional" art, even if it just looks like a 3 year old on an acid trip spilled some paint on a canvas. If you can bull**** a "creative meaning" you can sell anything now. Like that painting with the 3 colored rectangles. Is it art? Sure. Did it require any technical skill? No. Does it belong in a respectable art gallery? No.
You forget that most of these "3 year olds on acid trips" that you are talking about spent years studying and copying fine art. They spent years taking figure drawing lessons, learning about how oil paint works properly, how to render depth in a 2 dimensional surface, etc. They did not just wake up one morning and decide to paint some boxes on a piece of paper and throw it in a gallery. There was no loss in standards. There was no degeneration of society. People still paint beautiful landscapes and amazing portraits. People still paint in a classical style.

Is the Met not a respectable art gallery? How about the Philadelphia Museum of art? Or what about the Guggenhiem? If they are so respectable, why do they display art similar in style to this box painting we are talking about? Why do they display Andy Warhol, who duplicated Campbell's soup cans with his printing press and paintbrush? Why do they display Pollack, who sprayed paint on a canvas? Because its art. And that's that. If it's so easy, why don't you do it and hang it in a gallery?

Oh, and you know, at one time, Picasso, Duchamp, Dali, even Matisse and Renoir had their cynics, people who thought that their abstractions of reality were not art. Now, you would be lucky to find one of their originals for under a few hundred thousand dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybhall View Post
listen... stop beating around the bush. Just call it what it is. It's ****! I can't believe anyone would call that art. If that's art, my back yard is an art gallery.
If that isn't art, then neither is you pointing your camera at some **** and pressing the shutter release button, and then uploading it into Photoshop to throw around some layers and do some cropping, then uploading it into photobucket and showing off to all of your e-critiquers. As raggs said, take off your arrogant hat and pretentious glasses.

kthnx.
__________________
The Playground Paintball Park The PGPL
DLXValkenCaptain O-RingRaza

Playground Legends/Fast Five/Drexel University NCPA Alumni/Bulldogs Athens Millennium/Washington Winstons
Feedback

Last edited by Deimus85 : 09-07-2007 at 09:21 AM.
Deimus85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:24 PM #104
therealmr
\\\\\ i go on walks /////
 
therealmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Behind your eyes
therealmr is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
therealmr is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Or, you could respond to what I said, too, because I'd really like to hope you at least agree with me... seeing as everything you've posted STILL agrees with me
__________________
xyz

I want to be remembered for the
people I helped make memorable;
personal success is overrated if it
doesn't help everyone's progress.
therealmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:22 PM #105
Potz4Prez
I am a thinking thing oo~
 
Potz4Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ohio, not Taipei - ****
Potz4Prez is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Why is this thread still open?
__________________
flickr-Has, but does not condone the sharing of, noodz.

"Originally Posted by AndyAllen019: Potz is the GDT.."

"Originally Posted by gentimmy: potz ur my hero"

"Originally Posted by AndyAllen019: By far the funniest post I have seen in quite some time[...] Well played, good sir, well played."
Potz4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump