generalee72 is a Moderator
generalee72 is a Supporting Member
generalee72 donated to help Peyton Trent
generalee72 supports our troops
generalee72 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
generalee72 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' d View Post
I think another smart thing to do if you want to start a paintball field is to get a partner so you split the price.
This has been discussed at great lengths in the past, and is generally regarded as a bad idea.

The short list of why is who gets what money, and who makes which decisions.

Granted I'm sure a couple of people could pull off the relationship, but not nearly as many as one might believe.

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. –Lou Holtz (via-John Maxwell)

Advice for the thread: "how to open a paintball store"
NastyShock3r: hey guy's i live in miami i need help to open a paintball store can anyone help or can tell me what i need to do?
midstatepaintball: That's easy! Just push on the front door of the store if it says "push", or pull on the door if it says "pull".
generalee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2009, 11:04 PM #170
Outta Control
Yes I am

+1

Having a partner may sound good and all but the reality is there are a lot of issues to deal with especially having another person to share the pain.
Outta Control is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:05 AM #171
Vincent10z

Vincent10z supports Sherwood Forest
thx
Old 01-19-2009, 04:04 AM #172
scadreau

scadreau plays in the USPL
scadreau plays in the PSP
scadreau supports Cereal Killerz 2
scadreau plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetIndy View Post
1. Waivers Will Not Protect You From Being Sued
There is no such thing as a perfect waiver. For one thing, people can sue for any reason. When they do, you'll need to hire an attorney. There are plenty of lawyers out there who will take a case even though the plaintiff signed a waiver.

In some states, an individual can't sign away their rights, including the right to sue. Just because you have it in a waiver, doesn't make it legally binding.
This is true. People can sue for any reason. BUT...very few lawsuits ever see a courtroom because they are dismissed before that happens. Remember, lawsuits for injury require some for of negligence on you or your staff to make a case.

The waiver should be written so that it informs the customer that they are about to partake a dangerous activity and they understand the risks if they do not follow the safety rules of the field. There is no waiver that can take the right to sue away, it just has to ensure the customer is aware of all of the risks associated with the activity. Then, if the person is on the field and takes their mask off and loses an eye you have the document that told them that if they disobey the safety rules they may lose an eye. That will be all you need to defend your case on the chance that it even makes a docket.
scadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:32 AM #173
Outta Control
Yes I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by scadreau View Post
...That will be all you need to defend your case on the chance that it even makes a docket.
That is not all you need nor it is a slam dunk defense.
Outta Control is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:32 PM #174
knkilla22

yeah i dont think a reball field will be worth it either.
knkilla22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:05 PM #175
09rpotter

What about a Woodsball field? No bunkers needed really, all natural stuff like fallen trees can be used. You also woulded really need to clear land either.
09rpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:09 PM #176
09rpotter

I have some unused property and thought bout just makin a woodsball field out of it.
09rpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:16 PM #177
cryptic26djp

having unused and cleared land will not necessarily bring the people to you. unfortunately, its not "build it and they will come" in this sport. there are tons of open areas that guys go and play for free. i did it for years and never paid a dime of field fees and didnt have to play to a specific time either. just a tough business and like others said, unless you have $50k-$100k to toss in a fire - i would seriously consider trying it (alone or in partnership).
cryptic26djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:22 PM #178
e_friccero
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

e_friccero is a Paintball photographer
e_friccero is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
e_friccero is Legendary
e_friccero is Boss
e_friccero is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rpotter View Post
What about a Woodsball field? No bunkers needed really, all natural stuff like fallen trees can be used. You also woulded really need to clear land either.
a woodsball field is usually cheaper to run than a speedball field but does require more refs
e_friccero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:29 AM #179
PaintballRepUSA
Safety Guru to the Famous

Yep that sums it up....

I started off being a partner with a kid who father in law owned a army surplus store, we bought a crap load of splatmasters in the day, a 55 gallon drum of 12g and a a couple boxes of nelson paint and tubes and went into business with a BLM permit. No insurance, just barely did people start worrying baout eye protection, what the hell was a chrono and wow are those real tiger stripes.... We ran this for 6 years every other weekend and did very well off it, upgrading from splats to pgp's etc.

The and a day job I was "day staff" for an indoor field in Las Vegas. Ok sounded like fun, sure until you realize your the guy cleaning the field, the bathrooms, the lobby, stocking th vending machines, receiving orders, placing orders and trying to do it all at the same time.

Then I realized wait, to make money in Paintball you have to be the one selling the product to everyone. So I imported markers that got rebranded by other companies (think low end tube over tube cough clones), paint from Columbia etc. I was doing awesome. I could travel the west coast to events, give away products at shows, pocket a salary after it was all golden. Then 9/11 hit and I was looking at $500k + in instant debt when people started turning away product I had already ordered for them.

This taught me 1 key lesson, always get your LLC or INC done before your first client hits the books.

I am actually now in the process of finalizing some funding for a field and since I am in Las Vegas you can imagine the property costs we have associated with empty land or a building for indoor. Just to secure building space in a BAD neighborhood is $2 a sq or more. This equates to a huge monthly payment every month wether you are open and ready or not. Oh and empty land, $300-500k an acre in the city limits and immediate area. Drops drastically once you break a 20+ mile range outside of town. Sounds like a short drive huh, people in vegas tend to be lazy and don't want to leave their area of town.

Ok so now we have a field, now we get to add in the fun stuff, utilities, taxes, insurance, tenant improvements and this is all before you decide on what type of base material to use in the field area, how to seperate spectators from players, bunker materials or sup air etc etc etc.

Ok so we get that all done... Are we going to rent bulk air and co2? Or do we break down and get a compressor and bulks.... Ok chalk that up.

Then rental equipment, safety gear for employees, spare parts, tools etc.

So we get that done, are we field paint only or bring your own... Either way we need paint on hand to sell it. Oh gee, seen how much a case of paint weighs and shipping, only cost effective way is via pallet and to really save a full pallet. Hope you liek turning boxes of paint to keep it fresh.

So you get it all done..... Now what, advertising..... Spend more to draw in people, a small town you can do word of mouth. Large and sprawling areas if you don't advertise, no one knows you exist.

So you get it all done, everything is golden.... Hope you can stay busy 7 days a aweek at least 8 hours a day to pay for the lights.
Independent Trainers of Nevada Inc.

Player since 1982 - Built and Sold 4 Static Fields and 3 Mobile Fields - Currently run 1 mobile fields and teach OSHA for Paintball Fields/Shops
Team Internet Member # 6996.1 (Wife is .2)
PaintballRepUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:16 PM #180
DYNASTYYYYYYYY

i know like 3 people starting fieldsssss it kkkrazzzyyy
DYNASTYYYYYYYY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:08 PM #181
vikking_1
2nd Lt., MSB Team

what about grants rather than loans, would they be a good idea to help with starting costs?
HAVING A FRACTURED SPINE REALLY REALLY SUCKS.....lol
http://www.themillerstrykebrigade.com/ http://www.highenergypaintball.com/
vikking_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:56 PM #182
generalee72
Knight who says Ni

Grant's are not a bad way to raise cash for a business, or whatever you can get a grant for, but from the research I have done they are few and far between. There are a number of seminars and what not where people try and sell services around getting grants, they make it sound like any Joe shmoe can just go to city hall and get a grant for anything, but the fact is that they are not THAT readily avaliable. Sure if you are a female, minority, disabled veteran, with Indian heritage it becomes a lot easier. But if your just a white guy, good luck.

I would assume it's worth at least looking into, I'm just trying to make the point that they are not quite as easy to get as some make it sound.

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. –Lou Holtz (via-John Maxwell)

NastyShock3r: hey guy's i live in miami i need help to open a paintball store can anyone help or can tell me what i need to do?
midstatepaintball: That's easy! Just push on the front door of the store if it says "push", or pull on the door if it says "pull".
Old 03-21-2009, 09:30 PM #183
rjferguson79

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalee72 View Post
Sure if you are a female, minority, disabled veteran, with Indian heritage it becomes a lot easier. But if your just a white guy, good luck.

I would assume it's worth at least looking into, I'm just trying to make the point that they are not quite as easy to get as some make it sound.
Agreed All in favor say "Aye" Let it be known, the aye's have it.

mafiapaintballLLC@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/mafiapaintballllc
www.myspace.com/mafiapaintballllc
rjferguson79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:02 PM #184
AUTOMAGOMATIC

build it and they will come
AUTOMAGOMATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:18 PM #185
generalee72
Knight who says Ni

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTOMAGOMATIC View Post
build it and they will come
Not always

Old 04-07-2009, 11:00 PM #186
TWiley
Xtreme

Great Experience with my field

Hey guys! I own a paintball field in Arkansas, and building the field was one of the best things I have ever done. I have been able to meet some great people and build relationships. But it has not been easy. I started the field about 4 years ago and had enough money to start with no debt. The field is located on my land behind my home. I designed and built the field in 7 months with the help of a lot of good people. But the main point I want to make about the paintball field is this, I had never played paintball before I opened the field. It was purely a business decision. I wanted to do something with my land. I really enjoy the business and I continue to try and make improvements all of the time.
TWiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:19 PM #187
ragingbuyer

Owner of coming soon

Wow,alot of negative. I agree waiver/best carry insurance. I own a huge arcade,laser tag,pizza,inflatable bounce,and under construction outdoor fields,takes money to make money, throw in customer service (good times) ,some patients,and some positive thinking and a little
www.arcadebounce.com
ragingbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:54 AM #188
PaintballRepUSA
Safety Guru to the Famous

Grant 101:

You almost always have to be a not for profit or religous to get decent grants. A lot of grant writters will not even work with non-nfp/religous.

I was a little lazy/under educated when I did my first license for my education business and did not go NFP right off the bat, now after time I will spend the money and redo my license to go NFP.

NFP is the only way to secure large grant funding unless you are educational or religous based. Those are two totally different balls of wax.

My company Silver State Paintball is acutally earmarked/designated as Educational Institution/Instructor and has made some grants open but, not being a NFP also has closed some.

Also grant programs look at the histroy of the company they want to see aged entities. So even when I switch to a NFP, I will have to churn 2 years on the books then everything will look golden to grant programs.

Check your local colleges for grant seminars.
Independent Trainers of Nevada Inc.

Player since 1982 - Built and Sold 4 Static Fields and 3 Mobile Fields - Currently run 1 mobile fields and teach OSHA for Paintball Fields/Shops
Team Internet Member # 6996.1 (Wife is .2)
PaintballRepUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:54 AM #189
weltmaker2000
Rickfactor

has been a member for 10 years
weltmaker2000 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
weltmaker2000 supports Team VICIOUS
Some questions to ask yourself :

1) How long do I want to do this ? Planning to run a field as your career is not a good choice. You should have an exit strategy.

2) How do I find decent employees when all I can afford to pay them is peanuts ? They have to know about paintball but not want to play it every weekend like they always have. Good luck with that.

3) Do I have an emergency plan if my field gets rezoned/sold/wiped out by godzilla ?

4) Its Sunday morning, why am I doing this ?