Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-24-2007, 11:09 PM #43
Tapper

Example, My biggest competitor in swim, is on the right side of town with all the growth in the county. His prices are higher, offers less, my place is run by me, his by a hired mngr, owner rarely there. My place is up over 40% in 2 seasons, his members are flocking over driving the extra distance to come to our place. Only one other thing, I have found is that regular channels of advertising are usually a rip off don't advertise, PROMOTE, word of mouth is everything. Get people excited and treat them great, you won't go wrong. Any tips on special events that have been successfull?

Last edited by Tapper : 09-24-2007 at 11:14 PM.
Tapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2007, 12:56 AM #44
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapper View Post
His prices are higher, offers less,
Sounds like a foolish combination.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:00 AM #45
moe434811

I have a annual turkey shoot

$5.00 a ball closest to target gets turkey.
moe434811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:58 PM #46
volleyballer

yeah the whole deal about 14 year olds and their dads opening a paintball field for them... not always true. im 15 and me and my 14 year old friend are opening a field and its only gonna cost us about 75 dollars if that. now yes we are going to have some help from her dad and we do have parents supporting us but really all you have to do is own the land and have the connections. we can get free Co2 and tanks and extremely cheap good quality paint and tons of free stuff for bunkers and all the equipment to move it around and the tools we already have so its not as hard as these people are making it out to be to open a new field and make a profit.
volleyballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:31 PM #47
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

WillyW0nka is a Supporting Member
WillyW0nka plays in the PSP
WillyW0nka supports our troops
WillyW0nka plays in the APPA D4 division
Right, but your field is going to be crap. Do you honestly think that your field is going to earn you $75k-$100k a year? No. The fields that these guys are talking about putting together are likely to have 30+ players each day on weekends with a variety of tournament, recreational and woods/scenario players. Your field may have what, 6 kids show up each weekend?
WillyW0nka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:51 PM #48
Section3

You certainly have to have organization and the apparatus to be capable of 50+ people at your field at the same time...it doesn't happen by accident. If you can't get lots of people out there it just ends up being a waste of time. Starting small is good, though. When you're small, your mistakes are small. When you get big, mistakes get big, too.

Paintball in Houston, TX
www.urbanwarzonepaintball.com
The only field inside the 610 loop.
Section3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:15 PM #49
Marko34256

has been a member for 10 years
Marko34256 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Marko34256 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyballer View Post
yeah the whole deal about 14 year olds and their dads opening a paintball field for them... not always true. im 15 and me and my 14 year old friend are opening a field and its only gonna cost us about 75 dollars if that. now yes we are going to have some help from her dad and we do have parents supporting us but really all you have to do is own the land and have the connections. we can get free Co2 and tanks and extremely cheap good quality paint and tons of free stuff for bunkers and all the equipment to move it around and the tools we already have so its not as hard as these people are making it out to be to open a new field and make a profit.
only going to cost you $75 to start? what are you going to do? bring 2 cases of paint for everyone that comes to play?

not to mention...all the other tons of "stuff"
Old 10-08-2007, 09:07 AM #50
Delmarva Paintball
Collecting Nickles

has been a member for 10 years
Ha Ha Ha!!! I spend over $75 a week just on things like paper towels, soap and windex.

www.TacticalAdventureGames.com
Delmarva Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:22 AM #51
Zacher89
Ballin in CC

Quote:
Lol Ive worked at a paintball field and even if you have the land and "Connections" the electricity/water if you dont have a 300+ dollar pump
for drinking supplies. or anything else for that matter you have to take into consideration the paint to buy about 100 cases would cost a bunch. if you plan on having good insurance which every field should have will cost you 200+ and the netting for the insurance to actually work 200+ and the waiver if you want it good 100+ for the lawyer. I mean easily on just the little nit picky crap you are going to spend over 2gs.

In my opinion crappy bunkers are good bunkers, but if you want a good steady income get rentals C02 and Nitrogen.
Zacher89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:30 AM #52
jetewabbie

Quote:
Come on guys, this is clearly a made up story just to get your responses.
jetewabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:39 PM #53
shooter_of_n00bs

I know what it's like to open a field, my father opened a motocross track. All the motoheads thought all you have to have is a Bobcat and "volunteers" to open a track. It is actually a lot more, just like the thread starter said, there's insurance , bathroom facilities, equipment you have to buy. Anyways, the point I am getting to is this, my dad went out and busted his a$$ for the riders in our community and all anyone ever did was talk about how they could do it soooo much better and how they could spend their twenty bucks on such better things. It was open for three whole seasons and then my dad just got sick of it and closed it. Hey, it don't make a difference to us, now we have our own private track to ride on. I have seen this a lot in the paintball world lately, everyone thinks they could do so much better but in reality they don't know jack about what it takes, just like the volleyballer kid.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:07 AM #54
moe434811

Not much bothers me in these forums, cause there is always some 12yr old jerk saying what all they could do and how much cheaper their paint is blah blah blah!

well when I started my first field, the land was $38,000.00 so I got $75,000.00 from the bank. that left me after closing, ($35,000.00) to spend on the field.
after zonein permits, board meetings, supplys cost I didnt think of in my business plan. LONG STORY SHORT. I had to borrow another $10,000.00 to finish the first field I ever had. so some of these kids piss me off with the whole my daddy this my daddy that he a lawyer you dont have to zone, my daddy own my land so it only cost me 2 dollar to start field. (makes me sick)

thanks for letting me vent.

Play Hard, Play Safe, and Make Money..ESPS
www.extremesportspbva.com
need field or sponsor help dragonpaintball434@hotmail.com
moe434811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:37 PM #55
ICEman00
ICE

i want to start a field in WILLIAMSBURG VA. haha little town, but big paintballers. so i dont know.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:41 PM #56
ICEman00
ICE

money isn't a problem with me, but i dont want to start something i dont want to finish. i love playing, captain of my team, but i dont know how i would do running a buisness.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:05 PM #57
DustyGuyDude

im 17 and i've been working at a paintball field for going on about 1.5 years if you round up, its difficult work to work at a paintball field, (that is if your doing the real work, not just refereeing on the weekends), i started out reffing but since i have carpentry/ building/ landscaping experience before from before i worked there i've been put in charge of all the repairs needed,(ie; nets, bunkers, tables, staging area) and im only reparing! i can see how much effort it is to build this stuff in the first place. i also repair and clean rentals, and work the co2 and hp fill stations. but getting to the real point, my boss has decided to sell the park to the owner of proshop paintball ( where we get our paint, gear, and supplies from anyways). and so far just switching hands of the park has been a lot of work, the other day the new owner decided to go out and weed eat for 5 hours, a job which i know to be awful, and he's just been working his @$ off like this for the past few weeks. and to add on to all this work we're doing he's also about to put i belive $10,000 just for new bunkers and a cover for the cronograph area. but he's putting all this time and money into it and the parks been there for a long time now. after all the experince and knowlege i have about paintball parks i see what most of you guys are talking about when you say how hard it is to start( and maintain) a paintball park.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:33 PM #58
rookballer04

I am in the process right now of starting my own field... this field is even more of a hassle because i am trying to make it a indoor field also. I have tried to account for EVERYTHING i can in my buisness plans, from building cost, electric heating, cleaning turf, toilet paper i tried to account for everything. I have spent 750,000 on the building alone and i have another 50,000 setting aside for bunkers turf etc. And this is still NOT enough for everythign i wanted by will suffice to get my field running. My field is not even open yet and i have encounterd many unexpected things. I plan on putting my 40+ hours a week into this field and know it is going to be ALONG HALL AND ALOT OF WORK...... thats the mindset i think alot of people in this industry have NOT had and it has costed them in the long run. They come in thinking they hand out paint and collect money... much diffrent from the reality of it.
rookballer04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:33 PM #59
shocktrooper
no stinkin' Badges

My biggest piece of advice is make sure your refs are good.

good refs = good time had by all
shocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:19 PM #60
Time Bandit

Im not business person, but Indy is 100% right in every way.

People today have become sueing happy
Land today costs alot
equitment costs alot
everything will cost alot

My advice- if you want to build a field, build it where there are no fields. more people will come and such.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:04 AM #61
Ernie O

Ok, all very good post, but can I make a profitable paintball field out of 30 acres? It has a lot of topography and the land has high grass which could be fun.
Ernie O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:20 AM #62
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie O View Post
Ok, all very good post, but can I make a profitable paintball field out of 30 acres? It has a lot of topography and the land has high grass which could be fun.
30 acres is plenty.

If you mean by "a lot of topography", cliffs and such, you have to be careful (rope them off out of bounds, build stairs where necessary). Rocky, rolling ground is much more interesting than flat ground (for rec. ball).

High grass won't last long. It will get trampled quite quickly. Unless you are not very busy, in which case you will not be profitable.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:48 AM #63
TargetIndy
Electrifying

Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is an Ultimate field/store owner
TargetIndy is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie O View Post
Depends on where the property is and how large of a population you'll be able to serve.

DoctorOring.com -- O-ring kits for baller's on a budget!
3 rebuilds $4.95 -- Boxed kits from $9.95

Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis's Oldest Outdoor Paintball Field
TargetIndy is offline   Reply With Quote