Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-20-2012, 06:05 AM #253
kakugawa808
...for HIS glory!

kakugawa808 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
kakugawa808 supports DLX Technology
kakugawa808 supports Empire
My question is....what is everyone's thoughts on just having an indoor field? One or two 5-man fields in a, lets say, 30k sq. ft. warehouse.
Profitable?
I'm looking at a startup of about $1.5mil (that includes purchasing the building which is set-up with offices, customer entry/counter, sprinkler system, etc).
I'd really appreciate any help/advice!
And yes, I am very willing to put in 80 hour work weeks!
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2012, 08:12 AM #254
generalee72
Knight who says Ni

generalee72 is a Moderator
generalee72 is a Supporting Member
generalee72 donated to help Peyton Trent
generalee72 supports our troops
generalee72 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
generalee72 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
First off I would say to search the main forum, you might find the answer you are looking for. (Although it might not be the one you want)

Second start your own thread in the main forum so this one isn't cluttered with your discussion.

Once you start the thread try to add a little more info.
* Where are you planing this for, Hawaii or Illinois (somewhere else)
* Would the 30k sqft be for everything, or just the playing area
* Do you have any business experience
* Is your 80 hours at the field, or would you have 2 jobs
* Does your 2nd "traditional" job pay you enough money to support you and a business that isn't making you any money

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. –Lou Holtz (via-John Maxwell)

Advice for the thread: "how to open a paintball store"
NastyShock3r: hey guy's i live in miami i need help to open a paintball store can anyone help or can tell me what i need to do?
midstatepaintball: That's easy! Just push on the front door of the store if it says "push", or pull on the door if it says "pull".
generalee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:17 PM #255
kakugawa808
...for HIS glory!

kakugawa808 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
kakugawa808 supports DLX Technology
kakugawa808 supports Empire
will do...thanks
Old 03-21-2012, 03:08 PM #256
ballin4

good post!
ballin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:59 PM #257
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Yeah, I figured I wouldn't start a field...although I would like to start a pro-shop!
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:20 PM #258
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Every indoor field in the St. Louis area closed within a year.

One that has stayed in business for years is in Kansas City, MO is jaegers.

http://jaegers.com/

It is underground, an old limestone quarry. 6000+ sq feet. Damp but cool year round. Sand floor last time I was up there.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:11 AM #259
chrislittrell

Anyone seen those kits, you can but which supposedly come with everything for 1 field and 20 players?
chrislittrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:23 PM #260
Paintballer12u
KAPPUS #55

Paintballer12u posts videos on PbNation
Paintballer12u has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintballer12u has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintballer12u has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
its all so true theres never an easy start to a paintball park
KAPPUS#55
Ironmen and RL fan

MAC DEV
, DM9, DM12, DM13, NT10
Dye Rotor
Dye Throtal 45/45
Sly Pro-Merc Diesel Barrel
Paintballer12u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:29 PM #261
alexjordan1
@@@Alex@@@

alexjordan1 supports Pev's Paintball
alexjordan1 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
alexjordan1 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
alexjordan1 is attending Decay of Nations VI
good points!
alexjordan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:47 PM #262
SkylineNation

I have no good answer for this, but I will try. Dont over spend, serious. Do you want a speedball field or a woodsball field?

Land-If you have land great, if not lease it from a farmer or Rancher. Property in the city is crazy expensive.

Insurance-The only thing more expensive than insurance is not having it. Get it. If you use it for one event or 365 days a year it will cost up to $3000 and you must live by its every word. Safety Safety and policy, but you must have the means to enforce it. Staff and friends

Staff-Get your Girlfriend or wife to handle the money. Sounds crazy, but get her involved and the sport will/can grow. This way more people will pay and those same people who asks favors all the time wont twist your rubber arm to play for free.

Never allow BYOP-It is the worst thing ever. whatever paint you use, tell you local police so you can distance yourself from paintball vandals in the community. Never let anyone bring paint to your field for events. Ever. There are thousands of reasons why. A beer may cost me a dollar at the store and $5-7 in a nightclub. You are paying to enjoy that beer in an atmosphere.

Rental guns-get 10-20 and book for 15 people. Dont let pro's play with the Joes unless they are teaching.

Sponsorship- Dont sponsor any teams unless they help at your event or frequent your field.

Bunker building-dont worry about Baloons. Get a shovel and dig like shells are raining in. Old logs, cable spools anything that is free.

Forums-Stay off them. Very click and it can kill your field with mood swings. Just be the mistress that never calls and they cant get get out of their head.

Service and quality- Just do a great Job. Love what you do and accept anyform of comment. Private drop box is awesome. Run a quality event no matter what you have. Provide good service and shake hands with every one.

Players come and go. some drop from the sport at 20% per year and new ones arrive. Old players hate playing with kids all the time. separate age groups for certain events and old school players will come out of the wood works.

In a Nutshell-Combat exists in every environment, so dont spend a fortune sculpting it. Do a new building/bunker every year, not all at once and still shows good progress. Do what you can with what you have and dont compare yourself to others.

Paint-places that charge crazy for paint is just wrong. Limited ammo is the future. deal with it. Charge a fair field fee and your needs for air shrink with limited ammo. Then you dont have to rely on paint sales, anything else is just a bonus.

Do the best you can and put your profits back into the field. Let certain people produce a game and they will make sure their friends attend as well. Profits flex on demographics. Dont blame the economy. Treat your field like a hobby that pays. Dont always subsidize it with real income. It become like gambling and next thing you are broke.

Hope this helps. I made failures in all these areas. Stick with it. I started in 2005 and things are just starting to build damn good. A tree does not bear fruit for years and even until then much care, protection and nuture must happen for that one day to come.

REMEMBER!!!!!! IT TAKES YEARS TO GAIN CUSTOMERS AND MOMENTS TO LOSE THEM!!!! TREAT THEM GOOD and be fair by always being consistant.

Last edited by SkylineNation : 10-02-2012 at 05:54 PM.
SkylineNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:14 PM #263
ophooligan
Avid Death Squad

has been a member for 10 years
ophooligan has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
This is a great post. Words to live/work by IMO.
Thank you SkylineNation
Old 10-03-2012, 10:47 AM #264
TeacherCreature

Great post but there were a few things:
I didnt particularly agree with the cheaping out on field building... I believe field building is HUGE. Do I want to play in a field full of junk spools garbage and things found for free?NO. When I close my eyes and picture a place to bring my friends that description is last on the list. Im not advocating going broke on a field but smart spending and a lot of time invested at the least.

Also sponsorship I agree be careful but if you can arrange enough of a discount for the team and still be profitable as well as using them as advertising why not?

In terms of paint; I dont think it is fair to call charging what you feel is alot for paint as wrong. This is so similiar to your analogy of beer at the store for $1 or $5 (500% markup) at the nightclub. (Is it wrong for the night club to charge $5?) Lets say your paint is $30 a case the same markup you justified at the nightclub it would be $150 a case of paint at the field.
This is very similiar to the limited paint low volume theory.. at $40 a bag. The difference is we package it with entry and air and rental and limit purchasing more so that people dont notice or object to the price....
Too many overnight companys showed up offering $60 a case $50 a case or $40 a case and made people feel that $100 plus is too much. The nicest places in my experience charge the most for paint and those are the places I want to play at. My personal opinion and I am sure many might disagree is charge as much as you can and use the difference in profit or lower customer volume to make the experience 100 times better!
Better fields, better refs, better customer service etc...

I would pay $300 a case to play on the best field ever and have the best time ever...
Why do ballparks have $100 seats when nosebleeds are $20 seats why are superbowl tickets 1000s
Why do people buy nikes when they could go to walmart and get shoes for $19
so you can make a cheap field and go low volume and or not overcharge or you could try to develop the superbowl of paintball fiels (at least making your best effot) and charge more..

This is just my 2 cents for whatever that is worth. PS be careful on rentals you need not only enough to accomidate your players a few extra to account for breaking malfunction whatever.

Last edited by TeacherCreature : 10-03-2012 at 10:54 AM.
TeacherCreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:39 PM #265
SkylineNation

True enough, I am speaking on the terms of a basic beginning. I have been building for years(bunkers), I just say to someone starting out, take your time and truely express your vision of a field, without getting lost in construction costs. A shovel and some hard work goes along way.

The Cable spools or whatever was a basic example of making due with what you have availible. I build some buildings, alot of bunkers, a couple of towers and have a few ideas for some treehouse type fortifications. I pressure wash my field after every use and often repaint with camo colors. Building bunkers is like Tatoo's, they are addictive and have no end to the canvas, but cost money as well.

I understand your comments about the paint prices. By no means am I the dali Lama of paintball. To reinforce the same idea, why not have a larger field fee, rather than expressing it through paint? The automatic thought is wow this must be the s&*t or an amazing course. For me and my client demographics I only have a few main events a year and promote rental game when possible. I limit the entries and produce the game with the flavor of a special ops mission.

Ido understand that people will spend more while they are there as well. I am just looking at it from the player standpoint, going home to your wife and she says 'you spent what?'. One good day of ball could be spread out a few times more a year. That is my theory and by no means is it correct.

Like I said I am posting my lessons and things are looking better and I still am learning. My web site is www.skylinenation.ca . My main event is a three day game on mutliple fields. It is for adults and everything is all inclusive to large degree so that the trip/adventure can be budgeted. It assists players who travel considerable distances when planning travel logistics. I test my theory out by going to the United Staes a few times a year

Last edited by SkylineNation : 10-03-2012 at 02:51 PM.
SkylineNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:45 PM #266
mikebik

mikebik owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
mikebik is for the Gunfight
nice little article.. i have been looking to open up shop here in Albany, NY but it is a pain in the butt and the amount of people you can get compared to the amount of money you have to spend is not worth my time right now
mikebik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:10 PM #267
AA Paintball

Very well written everyone. It's great when adults have a great interaction. These points are the same even up here in Saskatchewan Canada where I've just opened up AA Paintball. In respect to the budget, if you have a big one good for you, but you have to make the best out of what you have. Personally I'm taking what the others have done wrong in my opinion and working to improve. It is a lot of work and you have to be up for it for the long haul just to maintain you play areas. My budget is balanced on getting the biggest bang for the buck possible and shopping around helps alot in that respect with anything. Anyway all the best and those in the area check out aapaintballindianhead.ca
AA Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:52 PM #268
305Hurricanes

Man, I can only dream of one day having enough capital to comfortably launch a successful paintball field.

Well, here's to hoping my college degree isn't just a piece of paper.
305Hurricanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:37 AM #269
SC's Elite Tactics
Crakmonky

thnx

WOW yeah me and a buddy are planning on opening a field, indoor only possibly, and have a financial backer but i really was wondering 2 things after reading this.

1: what is a good size/dimensions for a single indoor arena?
2: where can i find wholesale prices for equipment, need to know for my business plans financial section, without first getting all the legal paperwork to open an account with a wholesaler?

And thanks to everyone with input, made me think of a lot of things i didn't realize i needed to deal with. Any one with any info feel free to inbox me. You all have been a wonder and a help I've been dreaming of this for 10 years now.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:46 AM #270
nielsen_paintball

We found three lots that have been sitting for a few years, all with great visibility and locale. Already have buildings on all three sites so we can also put an airsoft CQB course, something I learned to do in Combat Arms. We went to the land owners and sugggested that they get a percentage of sales for six months that would equal 5% more than their property taxes for the year in exchnge for us opening our business there. These places had established businesses on them and all three are offf of three different major highways that surround the town. The negotiations are going great as the only money connnected to these properties is the peoperty taxes they spend. The bank is buying the equipment for us, everything we need with 10% down, which is great because if something goes wrong and we have to close shop (not an option), then the bank takes back their property and the 10% we put down is engulfed in that. We end up owing little to nothing on it. Still have money in the bank for a business rainy day (or snowy day where we live). Opening by the end of Jan, finally
nielsen_paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:36 PM #271
ten

Would airsoft be another way to bring in players/customers? I owned and operated a pball field a few years ago but, dont know anything about airsoft. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:11 PM #272
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is playing at Living Legends VII
Castro #66 supports Bob Gurnsey
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Castro #66 is attending Decay of Nations VII
Plenty of fields are branching out to other shooter-tag sports and hobbies. While arguably less profittable, it can make a big difference in income for some.

Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:32 PM #273
ditchdigger dss
dirty sweatshirts

dont know your location...but you can get cable/wire spools from carris reel in enfield ct....they are free they donate to paintball fields...the only cost to you is the trucking feed....i have gotten several trucks from them...they average about 40 to 50 spools per truck...i am about 3 hours from them...they charge me 500 bucks for shipping

Proud member of the 518 brigade

www.dirtysweatshirts.webs,com
www.capitalcombatzone.com
ditchdigger dss is offline   Reply With Quote