Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-29-2015, 12:52 PM #1
jordanfxp

Pricing help!

I need some suggestions on how to operate more efficiently. We currently take groups out to a community field and DO NOT have a brick and mortar facility. We pack all our supplies, air, paint, guns, tables, tents. We currently sell the entire experience as a whole to the customer.

We have tried two methods.

Paid in full for a 4 hour slot. We provide 4 cases. Once all is shot you may purchase more and play longer.

Paid in full we provide all paint for the 4 hour time slot. We manage the paint during games. 140rd hoppers as well as 50rd variants. We we can usually manage to break even on our 4 case mark.

We just have not gone to. A rental setup and then purchase per 100rds. Where we are playing at we have limited cell service so the square would be a simple addition to do over the counter sales but unfortunately does not work.

We aren't currently getting any discount on paint either. We are paying retail for our amounts.

Sorry for the scattered thoughts in this thread, it's more or less looking at selling an experience per time, instead of per paint shot.
jordanfxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2015, 01:13 PM #2
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Rental package with x amount of paintballs prepaid. (make sure this will cover your costs).

"Due to the location of the playing facility, we cannot prcess credit or debit cards. Please bring some extra cash in case you feel you need a few more paintballs."

The fields around here ran for 20 years or longer on cash only.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:28 PM #3
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Moderator
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
The fields around here ran for 20 years or longer on cash only.
I'm not sure I would go on that history.

I recently had one of my younger workers coming into Illinois for an event and I forgot to tell them about the one toll booth on the way in - neither her nor her friend had the $1.80 in their possession to pay the toll.

This, of course, blew my mind. I was promptly informed that no one carries cash anymore. It's an issue that's increasingly common when we're doing ID cards at tournaments... I'd say our cash receipts are down well over 50% over the past 5 years or so, all moved over to debit/credit.

To OP, how limited is your cell service? Depending where you are one carrier may not work but another carrier might... in general I have the best luck with Verizon.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:45 PM #4
Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
I'm not sure I would go on that history.

I recently had one of my younger workers coming into Illinois for an event and I forgot to tell them about the one toll booth on the way in - neither her nor her friend had the $1.80 in their possession to pay the toll.

This, of course, blew my mind. I was promptly informed that no one carries cash anymore. It's an issue that's increasingly common when we're doing ID cards at tournaments... I'd say our cash receipts are down well over 50% over the past 5 years or so, all moved over to debit/credit.
- Chris
Yes, very true. We get less and less cash sales as well. But that's why I suggested getting the upfront prepayment and then telling the organizer (and also having it on the website) to bring extra cash. It's the best I could think of if debit and credit cards aren't a possibility.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:47 PM #5
Horizon

I also don't think giving paint out in increments is such a good idea. It seems labour intensive. Give it to them all at once and let them figure it out. But if the operator wants to try something different, that's his choice.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:19 PM #6
FuturePlanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I also don't think giving paint out in increments is such a good idea. It seems labour intensive. Give it to them all at once and let them figure it out. But if the operator wants to try something different, that's his choice.
+1

I definitely agree with this. Sell bags. Sell cases. Sell pods. But, let them divvy it up. If your whole thing is about creating a "Limited Paint" environment, then price it thus.

Back to your first post. I don't understand how a company could stay in business paying retail. If you just aren't able to justify buying a full skid, work with a local store and see if they will let you split a skid with them. They would be able to give you business, and you should be able to offer them the same.

Also, most vendors will allow you to buy less than skid quantities. Pricing is higher than full skid, but it's drastically better than paying retail.

Last edited by FuturePlanning : 05-29-2015 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Not really a field.
FuturePlanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:29 PM #7
PaintballofOKC

you can use your cell phone and swipe the CC cards on it.
PaintballofOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:28 AM #8
woda

woda owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
you can use your cell phone and swipe the CC cards on it.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:11 PM #9
PaintballArkansas

Hes saying there are some services that allow you to swipe a card without Cell service, and then when you get back to cell service it runs the card for you. This is great as long as the card is good.
PaintballArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:14 PM #10
cye604
Marksman - Indigo Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintballArkansas View Post
Hes saying there are some services that allow you to swipe a card without Cell service, and then when you get back to cell service it runs the card for you. This is great as long as the card is good.
Be careful with these services. They store the CC information, and if the app is not totally trustworthy, there is a chance that it will steal the CC info, and that blame might then go to you.

I have also heard of certain CC companies not allowing their cards to be used on these types of systems, for security reasons.
cye604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:35 PM #11
neoh
richmondpaintball.ca

Annual Supporting Member
neoh owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
neoh supports Team VICIOUS
neoh has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
neoh has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
squareup.com

pay per head, up-sell paint.

People will take advantage of paint when they have already paid for it. Or, give them a rate including 100 balls, and upsell more when they arrive. Normally people will buy more.

If you are doing all the legwork, and the field is making the profit on the paint, you are in the wrong business. Negotiate your terms better.
neoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:32 PM #12
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Moderator
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanfxp View Post
Where we are playing at we have limited cell service
How limited?

If it's a case of the signal is barely there, you can get equipment that will strengthen cellular signal. Have you also tried other carriers? Signal on your provider may stink but may be strong on another provider.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:00 PM #13
sirX
The next Jeremy Salm

sirX donated to help Peyton Trent
sirX helped look for balloons
sirX is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
How limited?

If it's a case of the signal is barely there, you can get equipment that will strengthen cellular signal. Have you also tried other carriers? Signal on your provider may stink but may be strong on another provider.

- Chris

I have had a lot of luck using cell phone boosters, they are not very expensive for their benefit. I think I had $100-150 in mine, and it worked very well.

Places I could only send texts, I could make phone calls and use data. Places with no service I could generally send/receive texts.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:35 PM #14
TeamProdigy1#

TeamProdigy1# is playing at Living Legends VIII
TeamProdigy1# owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Well everyone is giving good ideas and all!

First thing you need to do is setup a wholesale account for your paintball business!
TeamProdigy1# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:48 PM #15
jordanfxp

Thanks for all the ideas and input!

We've recently locked down a place within cell range and have set up a square. We will be building our field soon. A wholesale account through GI will be done by mid next week. I've gone with GI because my field rentals are FT-12s I've got a bit of loyalty towards them.

We are quickly advancing towards an established field! Now we are looking into a compressor? Recommendations?
jordanfxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:01 PM #16
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
dps093 is Legendary
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanfxp View Post
Thanks for all the ideas and input!

We've recently locked down a place within cell range and have set up a square. We will be building our field soon. A wholesale account through GI will be done by mid next week. I've gone with GI because my field rentals are FT-12s I've got a bit of loyalty towards them.

We are quickly advancing towards an established field! Now we are looking into a compressor? Recommendations?
Bauer compressor with autodrain.
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote