Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-20-2015, 10:45 PM #1
PaintballKW

Loyalty Program

Do any of the fields on here offer a loyalty program?

I have a local field that just started offering one, and its too early to tell if its being successful for them or not. So I wanted to see if any of your fields had any that you used. Paying for a professional system, or doing a punch card, or your own system?

Thanks for your help.

Www.Splatzone.ca Facebook
PaintballKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2015, 11:33 PM #2
robdavy
Field Owner

What does theirs look like? What do you get for being 'loyal'?
robdavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:38 AM #3
Simi Baller
Pillow Fort Architect

Simi Baller has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm not very well versed in running loyalty programs, but I do know that a separation factor between "just a business," and a "succesful local business" is creating loyal customers. This, of course, sounds obvious, but it is very hard for many people to understand that "loyalty" is not driven through the occasional free case of paint, or discounts on entry. For many fields, they are good to lower your prices to differ from local competition, but they are not totally essential.

Things like running free or cheap clinics for new players, having special theme days, getting out and networking with people in the community, and (the most obvious but often overlooked) simply being warm and helpful to all players at your field, even if their (you think) simplistic questions are getting on your nerves.

Building a real connection is the most important thing for consumer-driven businesses. This even goes beyond the amateur practice of sending out a scripted email on someone's birthday with their name pasted into the placeholder. Perks are nice, but not totally essential. You know what the biggest indicator of success and consumer loyalty is? Not necessarily that someone comes back every single week, but that they become your marketing team. If they are out there telling people they love your field, no to go here instead of field XYZ because your staff is the friendliest, you've won. No loyalty system required.

Enterprise Rent a Car sends out a monthly poll to their users, containing 2 questions: Were you happy with your experience? and, Would you recommend us to a friend or family member?

Answer no to those questions? Guess what: Enterprise ignores you. Find the people that gave you two yes's, and focus on their customer experience. It isn't worth it to spend time and money trying to convert an unhappy customer into a happy customer. Focus on the top satisfied customers, and they will start to pull new customers in for you, at a very low customer acquisition cost.

If that doesn't work, then definitely try the loyalty rewards program. The best loyalty program, however, is the tried and true plan I outlined above. While it is a bit wordy, it should pay off immensely. Note that competitive prices are still important.

Best of luck
Old 01-21-2015, 07:37 AM #4
PaintballKW

The program they are using is https://constantloyalty.wordpress.com/

Simi Baller -

Absolutely the best marketing is great service! I come from a sales and retail background so we have been training the staff to deliver an exceptional customer experience! We have had players who have come to a birthday party bring back all their friends for another birthday party a couple weeks later. So we are seeing a ton of repeat business, but I am thinking more so a program that will prompt them a couple months since their last visit that would bring us back to the top of mind.

Just wondering if other fields had experienced success with one.

thanks guys!

Old 01-21-2015, 08:15 AM #5
senghing27
Gosh Dang.....

has been a member for 10 years
senghing27 plays in the PSP
senghing27 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
senghing27 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PEVS in Aldie, VA runs a loyalty program. No idea if it works or not.
I just signed up the other day when I was there to play.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:27 AM #6
PaintballKW

Pev's runs the same program as my local field. A professional system would be about $200 a month. so if 10 players that would not have otherwise come in come back then it has paid for itself. But hard to determine if they would have come in without the program.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:12 PM #7
858baller
I <3 Celtics

Look into Fivestars.com
858baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:06 PM #8
C0lin

C0lin owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
C0lin has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27 View Post
PEVS in Aldie, VA runs a loyalty program. No idea if it works or not.
I just signed up the other day when I was there to play.
Are you talking about the text thing or something else? I signed up for the text program from pev's and you get a ton of free admissions on random weekends and I even got an offer for free 500 paint this weekend.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:02 AM #9
7paintball
Service at its best.

Ours is just a discount program, we run it with our POS system. We get basic info (name, email) and if you come in tell us your in the system you can get up to 10% off your purchase.

Then about once a month we go and send out an email with info about what's going on in the store.
Lockport, IL 60441
(815) 588-1777

We always offer discounts to the Military, Police and Fire Departments.
7paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:30 PM #10
Koolsilver

Koolsilver is playing at Living Legends VII
Koolsilver owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Koolsilver has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I haven't been to a field that has a loyalty program but at a store I shop at they have one, buy I think it is 10 cases of paint and you get one free. They give you a little card and put stickers on it. This keeps me going to them, why would I go to another shop and pay the same price but not be rewarded.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:28 PM #11
SouthTampaPaintball

We have month-to-month memberships, 3 month, 6 month, and annual memberships that come with varying paint discounts. We also have a punch card for cases of paint. Buy 10 cases, get the 11th free.

Casey L. Henry
South Tampa Paintball
813-784-8623
http://SouthTampaPaintball.com
Casey@SouthTampaPaintball.com
SouthTampaPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:13 PM #12
Ryan Gray

Ryan Gray is a Professional paintball player
Ryan Gray plays in the APPA D3 division
We have memberships, but I feel like if we can create a quality environment with great service to all of our guests, they will be loyal. If your product is bad, it's bad and you will not gain or maintain guests. If your product is good, you will not only gain loyalty, you will create life long guests.
Ryan Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:56 PM #13
gamefreak054
CCM T2 OWNER

gamefreak054 is playing at Living Legends V
gamefreak054 is playing at Living Legends VI
gamefreak054 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
gamefreak054 posts videos on PbNation
gamefreak054 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
gamefreak054 is attending Decay of Nations VI
gamefreak054 supports DLX Technology
My field has a loyalty program. They use the Belly system which is very slick and very easy to use. You pretty much just scan your card when you walk in and it will give you 5 points. Not sure if it exactly works with customers because Im pretty loyal to them whether they have the program or not (its pretty much my home away from home). I have received two free cases of paint so far so I cant complain.

The only thing I have noticed is that the program would be kinda crummy if you do not play there often you get 5 points for every time you show up, and the 2 big prizes are a case of paint at 120 points and a free membership at 240. However you can get a free monster at 10 points or something like that.
gamefreak054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:08 AM #14
GatSplat

Between Ryan and Gamefreak the problem with loyalty programs for paintball fields was nicely explained. Loyalty programs are only good for business if you are selling a commodity. If Grocery Store A is next door to Grocery Store B, and you need a box of Klenix, maybe you will go to Grocery Store A if they have some loyalty points that goes toward a gas discount,etc...

When it comes to a paintball field however, you do not have a commodity product. In fact, probably no two are the same in the country. So people pick their favorite. And that is where they go.

Just like I go the same restaurant every friday, because the food is great and the service is great. They have no loyalty program. If they did, they are throwing away money, as I would be coming anyway, and if they gave me every 11th meal free or something, it's simply a 10% loss of profit. It will not make me come in any more.

Quote:
Not sure if it exactly works with customers because Im pretty loyal to them whether they have the program or not (its pretty much my home away from home). I have received two free cases of paint so far so I cant complain.
So here is the profit on two cases gone, as that customer would have been there and paid for them. So then the opposite; if you go to a field, or restaurant, or golf course, or hotel, or whatever.. and you hate it, is a coupon good for a discount going to make you come back if you do it 10 times? NO!!! You don't want to come back even once!

So as Ryan pointed out, the best way to have a loyalty program is to offer a great product and service, so people are loyal to your offering. Not bribe them in hopes that brings them in.

If your experience is so bad people don't want to come back, maybe address what is happening at your field, instead of a loyalty program.

Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! Then just $50 / month.
GatSplat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:51 PM #15
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
I agree with Larry that a paintball loyalty program likely won't get someone to choose one field over another, but a paintball field's competition isn't really other paintball fields - it's other forms of entertainment the potential customer could be spending their time on, even including "sleeping in on Saturday."

Lots of people feel drawn to "contests"... how many kids keep playing a video game until they get all the achievement badges? So I would view a loyalty program as a mechanism to get people to play more paintball, not really to get people to choose my paintball location over another paintball location. Maybe you even keep a board on the wall of "Top Players" based on playing days over the past year, or "Top Ambassadors" for the people who bring the most new players in.

Loyalty programs don't just have to be about free stuff either - I'd be embarrassed to admit some of the questionable purchasing decisions I make just to keep my frequent flyer status each year. And it's not for free tickets - the status gets me things like a separate reservations number with the better agents, shorter check-in and security lines, being top of the standby list, getting on different flights within 24 hours, etc.

So a paintball field might do the same thing... play 5 times a year? You're silver. 10 times? Gold. Each level gets you some benefits that don't cost the field much - maybe a priority check-in line, or jump the line when waiting to get onto the field, rebook reservations for different days, reserved special staging area for "elite" players, free rental upgrades, discounts on memberships, or even just a "we'll bring your lunch to you", basically things that make the player say, "Man, I have to make sure I play at least 10 times this year," or, "Man that guy gets the good staging table, I should play more..."

Loyalty programs also have other value, like gathering data on what your customer's habits, and having good contact information for them, which should help your marketing. It's also a way to provide some price discrimination, for example, double points for playing on Sunday (if Sundays are usually lighter days), or "Play Saturday get a free Sunday in the next month" or something.

You also don't have to limit yourself to points for showing up or points per dollar - I might do a loyalty program where the most points are earned for bringing new customers, or the person booking a group gets points. In that sense you're really just diverting some of your marketing budget to "word of mouth".

So maybe a loyalty program that's just, "Buy 5 cases get a free case" isn't going to drive you business, but that's also not the only way to set up a loyalty program.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org

Last edited by raehl : 03-09-2015 at 02:55 PM.
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:08 PM #16
robdavy
Field Owner

Awesome points Chris!
robdavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:36 AM #17
PaintballKW

Great feedback guys!

We are looking into getting something that is more video games oriented like Chris had eluded to. A ranking system where you can level up, and then have different tiers with a small reward when you reach a certain point.

I agree that we are more so competing with other entertainment providers than we are with other fields in the area. Right now we are getting a ton of birthday parties, and group events, but finding it more difficult to get them to come back just individually, or with one friend.

We know the customer experience is awesome because we get a ton of first time players coming to a birthday party, and then coming back for their birthday, and bringing a bunch of kids with them. We are trying to figure out how we can be seen as a more regular destination as opposed to an annual event.

I liked the idea of a digital system because it can be more automated. Actually the biggest appeal was that it could ping customers who haven't played in a while with an email just to put our brand in front of them again. I know with our demographic that less of them will have email so that lessens the appeal, as a parent would be more likely to just disregard the message vs getting excited about it.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:13 AM #18
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintballKW View Post
but finding it more difficult to get them to come back just individually, or with one friend.
That's somewhat of a general aspect of human nature - when you can get a group of friends together, the particular activity they're doing isn't as important as the activity is when someone is just doing it by themselves.

I.e., "Hey we're all going to play paintball on Saturday, want to come?" will be an easier sell than anyone deciding to go play paintball by themselves. Even if someone does intend to go play, it's a lot easier to change your mind at 8 AM on a Saturday when it's just you than when 6 of your buddies are going to trash-talk you if you don't show. (It's why I never make it to the gym on my own.)

I know back when I was playing amateur tournaments, a big part of the retention of everyone was most people showing up at the same restaurant after the fact.

I always wondered if a field could have some success creating a social group of people moderately inclined to play paintball. Take your loyalty program and have appreciation nights only your silver members get to go to - at a restaurant or bar or someplace other than the paintball field. Or have a night a week where there's some open play 6-9 and a social hour 9-whenever.

Even if you don't want to do things off-site, you could have something like "Free Lunch Sundays", where any Gold member who comes out to play gets a free lunch.

Or even a service day - people who show up to volunteer somewhere get a free entry to the field at a later time. Double-marketing - get your regulars out and socializing with each other, and get your brand in front of your local community.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org

Last edited by raehl : 03-12-2015 at 12:17 AM.
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote