Community Focus

Old 04-18-2015, 04:04 AM #1
Tom )TCO(
Old School

has been a member for 10 years
Tom )TCO( is an NCPA player
Tom )TCO( plays in the APPA D4 division
Airball/Team Practice Business Model?

Have any of you ever used a business model where you 'rent' the airball field to a team or 2 by the hour so that they can practice quickly and effectively?

I'm in Central Florida and there's no field around here that does that. Seems like an excellent idea and the local fields sure could make a great hourly revenue if they tried it. And the teams wouldn't need to make an entire day out of paintball - they can push hard and get it over with like a workout.
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2015, 12:35 PM #2
robdavy
Field Owner

"great hourly revenue"

What does that mean to you? How much would you pay to rent a field for an hour? No paint, just the field and air
robdavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 02:37 PM #3
Tom )TCO(
Old School

$40/hour byop or field sells paint at $40/case.

Field sets up any layout the team wants and supplies 2 refs during the hour for maintaining air pressure in bunkers and calling people out during games. The field is also responsible for cleaning bunkers and taking the field down and changing layout for the next team.

Costs players $50 for a good solid practice without interruptions and waiting around for games to begin. They get to play with bunkers that dont have air leaks and refs maintain pressure during the practice, the field is setup properly aligned.

If there aren't any teams scheduled then the staff can take the field down at 1 or 2 and not have to sit around all day for 8 players to finish up at sunset. Or after the tournament teams are finished they can open the field up to recball without interruptions and dealing with the speedball crowd.
Tom )TCO( is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 03:25 PM #4
GatSplat

We don't do BYOP and our case is $95 and our minimum rental fee for the field is $900 to do a private event. We do lots of teams. Teams like Cisco, Frito Lay and Best Buy team building events. The other teams - paintball teams don't want to pay enough to make it worth while for us to open.

Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! Then just $50 / month.
GatSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 03:40 PM #5
Tom )TCO(
Old School

Paintball market is regional. That's awesome for you!

There are about 10 fields in a 100mile radius here so they can't get that sort of rate.

I was also referring to 5 man xball teams on a single airball field. Not the entire property.

Last edited by Tom )TCO( : 04-18-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:06 PM #6
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Think of it this way.

10 players could be two xball teams, or a birthday party.

Should one pay LESS than the other for the same amount of service/supplies? And if so, why?

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:16 PM #7
TargetIndy
Electrifying

Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is an Administrator
TargetIndy is a Supporting Member
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is playing at Living Legends Dreaded
TargetIndy supports Bob Gurnsey
TargetIndy is Immortal
It doesn't work at the $10/player, $40 per case pricepoint that tournament players seem to think is a "fair" rate.

My figures have shown me it costs about $250 a week to own an airball field. That includes upgrade, repair, and maintenance costs, as well as mowing and fertilizing.

It takes about 12 hours of labor to set up, clean, and tear down an airball field. Ideally you'll need 3 employees to do that work. Those three employees are on the clock while the team practices. If the team practices for 3 hours, you have 21 hours of labor.

At minimum wage a business is paying about $9 an hour once you figure in all the labor taxes (unemployment, SS, and FICA). That's $189 of labor. Just to cover the labor cost alone, a team of five players would have to pay about $40 per person.
TargetIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:10 PM #8
Tom )TCO(
Old School

All good insights.

I can get an airball field up in 30 minutes and cleaned and deflated and put away in 60 minutes.
That's 1.5 hours for the field with 2 people.

The same 2 people maintain the field air pressures during the 1 hour of team drills or practice.

2.5 hours for $240 of revenue.

The hard part is keeping the appointment book full. You'll need a 'fair' price for as many teams to come to your field as possible. You make profit on volume.

I hear all the time that fields reject speedball players and teams because they hurt recball business or they fight and want to rip the field off.

I think creating a format for them to get in, workout, and get out would be ideal for the field and the players. As a former pro-player myself I would rather beat a practice out quickly than sitting around all day long in the heat waiting for everyone to be ready and play 6 games all day.

I was just curious if anyone has ever tried it.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:45 PM #9
GatSplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom )TCO( View Post
Paintball market is regional. That's awesome for you!

There are about 10 fields in a 100mile radius here so they can't get that sort of rate.
We have more than that in a 100 mile radius. It just would not be a profitable model - otherwise it would be common practice. If teams were asking for it and it was profitable it would have been done more often.

And you don't make profit on volume... You make profit on profit. Selling one case at $95 is far better than selling 3 cases at 40.

Last edited by GatSplat : 04-18-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:03 PM #10
Tom )TCO(
Old School

You'd have a very slow field if it were in Central Florida.

Paintball caters to the people that have lots of disposable income and complains when it's not popular enough to be self sustaining. - referring to the tournament scene.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:37 AM #11
GatSplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom )TCO( View Post
You'd have a very slow field if it were in Central Florida.

Paintball caters to the people that have lots of disposable income and complains when it's not popular enough to be self sustaining. - referring to the tournament scene.
We would not be slow... we would be full, just not of the tournament scene, we would be full of people that don't complain about self sustaining... our people would just complain if the cookies didn't come out of the oven on time, or if we ran out of french vanilla cream for the complimentary coffee.

It's a different model.

If you think your model would be profitable, go hit up a field. Tell them you want to sub lease a field from them so you can rent it out to teams, you do all the marketing, make it work, pay the field to use their area, and get a cut for you. Prove the concept instead of just post about it. That's the best way to see if something works... try it... not just ask about it. Especially when as you asked about it, all the field owners who responded say it won't work. So now.. Prove us wrong!

That's business!

Last edited by GatSplat : 04-19-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:14 AM #12
Tom )TCO(
Old School

True that.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:56 PM #13
marpolsdofer

We have a field here that is only open on Sundays they charge $15 for 5 hours.
On Saturdays its group reservation play. The rate for that for under 8 people is $25, 13-20 people is $22.50, 21 people and over is $20. Charge the same for paint $34 for 1000 ball.
However it is woods, scenario, open field bunkers, low wall open area. He has a large enough open flat area that you could set up you own inflatable bunkers.
marpolsdofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:41 PM #14
Teraus

Teraus has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Teraus has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Tom, I actually haven't seen any full sized tournament fields in Orlando yet, though I am going out to Kissimmee this upcoming Saturday. Do you know where one is?

I have been researching the potential of putting a field near UCF and letting the Knights Paintball team make it their Home Field (if they will respond to me), plan to have 1-2 Large Woodsball fields, 2-3 medium recball fields, and 1-2 hyperball (if 2 then the 2nd one would be smaller i think). I probably wouldn't do the per hour model, but the cost of admission would be fair anyway, and rounds would be 10 minutes per game on a field. However, my current plan is open Friday through Monday, so friday and monday could potentially be good days for team practices. I am still in the research phase though so it would be a while if ever before it would open.

I also heard a rumor that once Paintball World finds land that they may put in a full sized tourney field.
Teraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:05 AM #15
lobo1
MedleyPaintballPark

lobo1 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
lobo1 is an NCPA player
lobo1 plays in the APPA D2 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSplat View Post
We would not be slow... we would be full, just not of the tournament scene, we would be full of people that don't complain about self sustaining... our people would just complain if the cookies didn't come out of the oven on time, or if we ran out of french vanilla cream for the complimentary coffee.

It's a different model.

If you think your model would be profitable, go hit up a field. Tell them you want to sub lease a field from them so you can rent it out to teams, you do all the marketing, make it work, pay the field to use their area, and get a cut for you. Prove the concept instead of just post about it. That's the best way to see if something works... try it... not just ask about it. Especially when as you asked about it, all the field owners who responded say it won't work. So now.. Prove us wrong!

That's business!
QFT.

Don't talk about. Be about it.

rip Ian Guckian
lobo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:18 PM #16
KEFarris

KEFarris has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetIndy View Post
It doesn't work at the $10/player, $40 per case pricepoint that tournament players seem to think is a "fair" rate.

My figures have shown me it costs about $250 a week to own an airball field. That includes upgrade, repair, and maintenance costs, as well as mowing and fertilizing.

It takes about 12 hours of labor to set up, clean, and tear down an airball field. Ideally you'll need 3 employees to do that work. Those three employees are on the clock while the team practices. If the team practices for 3 hours, you have 21 hours of labor.

At minimum wage a business is paying about $9 an hour once you figure in all the labor taxes (unemployment, SS, and FICA). That's $189 of labor. Just to cover the labor cost alone, a team of five players would have to pay about $40 per person.
This about what we came up with. If a location allows for the field to stay up, the costs drop a bit, but for a legit business, the above numbers are true. In the 28 years my field has been open, we have had many competitors. They all go out of business when it comes time to replace bunkers, compressors, or nets.
KEFarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:29 AM #17
Lynnch

Lynnch owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
A local field 'round here has a related but opposite problem: the local tournament teams take over the field to scrimmage, and it can be hard if you're just a rec/pick-up speedballer to get in on a game. Obviously the staff should be controlling the games more, but I too am surprised they haven't jumped at the chance to simply offer and charge teams for timed practice spots.

The one flaw I really see is that most teams are going to want to practice for more than an hour. Most lower division teams are not going to want to pay hundreds of dollars for a 3 hour practice when they can pay $25 and play all day instead.
Lynnch is online now   Reply With Quote