PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 02:10 AM #1
kmarriner (Banned)

*Unofficial* Mac Thread

We were talking about making one of these, We have a linux thread so why not a mac one.

Here you can ask about mac problems, mac programs, mac buying advice. Or just talk about macs in general.

Please don't turn this into a flame fest.
If a mod wants to make this official so be it.

Mac Buying Guide
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2007, 02:16 AM #2
T1tanrush
Team Green

T1tanrush helped look for balloons
T1tanrush owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
T1tanrush supports Team VICIOUS
Response to the last thread- Around 1600ish, I can get some good deals though.
My tea's gone cold I'm wondering why I.. got out of bed at all The morning rain clouds up my window.. and I can't see at all And even if I could it'd all be gray, but your picture on my wall It reminds me, that it's not so bad, it's not so bad.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:12 AM #3
bushmastah4life
Thwomp!

bushmastah4life is a Supporting Member
i really like the new keyboards

:(

Old 08-08-2007, 03:14 AM #4
Aphasia
From Chaos Comes Clarity

Shouldn't this be v2? Anyways, Woot, for new iMac's. I can't wait to get mine. Then, I don't have to use my notebook at home so much, lol.

I love Apple... And RooЯ
Old 08-08-2007, 04:17 AM #5
XLostSpartanX
I'm so hood.

XLostSpartanX is a Supporting Member
New iMacs look great. I wish I had the money for one though.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:41 AM #6
Piromaneak

I was going to get one of the new MacBook Pros but I don't move around all that much and for the price, I can get a top iMac with better specs than the book. Can't beat that 20 inch screen
Old 08-08-2007, 07:19 AM #7
pballa2099
Im not a 2K'6r

i would just get the macbook pro.. one day your gonna wish you had a computer with you and be like, damn it i shoulda gotten the macbook pro..

and the new keyboads are soooo nice
Old 08-08-2007, 08:15 AM #8
phatphil (Banned)

has been a member for 10 years
I'm kind of undecided on the new iMacs now, the graphics card is weak for brand new technology. That's really the only downside for me though.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:32 AM #9
sames89305 (Banned)

sames89305 is a Supporting Member
For me, the new iMacs will be good. I dont need a mega high quality graphics card, i havent played a game on the computer in years lol.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:34 AM #10
benji25
Legen (wait for it) Dary

benji25 is a Moderator
benji25 donated to help Peyton Trent
benji25 is playing at Living Legends V
benji25 posts videos on PbNation
benji25 supports our troops
benji25 has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphasia View Post
Shouldn't this be v2? Anyways, Woot, for new iMac's. I can't wait to get mine. Then, I don't have to use my notebook at home so much, lol.
Version three actually.

Also, I am starting a list in this post! We need groups of five people who want to purchase the multi user Leopard OS pack because it is cheaper that way. I will start it off:

1. Benji25
2. larrimus

Just pm me if you would like to go in on it with me. I will have it installed on my computer, then send it to the next guy. So on and so forth. Then the last guy can send it back to me. I think the cost is somewhere around $50. Just PM me guys. I can also make more than one list. That way if you ever need it down the road you can just contact me and I will send it to you. (And no I will not lose it. I still have the original box for my N64. lol)

Last edited by benji25 : 08-08-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:36 AM #11
gwac

Im surprised I thought the mac mini was going to be discontinued but instead they gave it more memory and more hard drive(Not much though).

One question that bothers me, when a lot of people talk/make fun of Apple they usually only mention Steve Jobs. What about Wozniak(sp)? He was also a crucial part of the starting part of Apple.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:20 AM #12
phatphil (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji25 View Post
Also, I am starting a list in this post! We need groups of five people who want to purchase the multi user Leopard OS pack because it is cheaper that way...
The 5 computers have to be in the same household.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:41 AM #13
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwac View Post
One question that bothers me, when a lot of people talk/make fun of Apple they usually only mention Steve Jobs. What about Wozniak(sp)? He was also a crucial part of the starting part of Apple.
Jobs is the face of apple, that's why. Woz was crucial in the beginning but didn't he stop working mainly for apple 20 years ago?
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."

Last edited by Drex17 : 08-08-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:01 PM #14
f2f4

f2f4 is a Supporting Member
Well guys, how's this setup?

Quote:
iMac, 20-inch, 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Part Number: Z0E2
Apple Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Accessory kit
2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Apple Mighty Mouse
500GB Serial ATA Drive
For: $1,498.00

Also, can you buy AppleCare after you buy the iMac, or do you have to get it with it?
Same question also applies to .Mac accounts.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:24 PM #15
FluffyMumkins
mluffyfumkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piromaneak View Post
I was going to get one of the new MacBook Pros but I don't move around all that much and for the price, I can get a top iMac with better specs than the book. Can't beat that 20 inch screen
Weren't you building a new PC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2f4 View Post

Also, can you buy AppleCare after you buy the iMac, or do you have to get it with it?
That's not worth the cash. You'd get much better performance if you just built your own PC.

Oh and if you haven't tried a MightyMouse yet, try one before spending money on one. They're rather ****ty imo. Best off getting a nice mouse like the Logitech MX518 or the Razer Death Adder.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 08-08-2007, 12:41 PM #16
jamin

Quote:

That'll be a sweet set-up

Not sure about AppleCare, but yes you can get a .Mac account whenever you want. When you get your iMac you should get the .Mac 60 day trial to see how you like it first though.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:44 PM #17
OpticoN
cashhhh flowww

Quote:

1,500 bucks for that? Apple really knows how to rape its customers. You can build something so much better then that for so much cheaper. I can even put a list on newegg if you would like me to.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:57 PM #18
EMU MAFlA (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticoN View Post
1,500 bucks for that? Apple really knows how to rape its customers. You can build something so much better then that for so much cheaper. I can even put a list on newegg if you would like me to.
Wow.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:26 PM #19
thepbkid
Cool as crap

Quote:

That's almost exactly what I have (last gen. iMac though) 2.16GHz IC2D, 500GB HD, 1GB RAM... and I can definitely vouch for it's great performance. I do a lot of video production on it and it handles it without a problem.

You'll love it.

EDIT: I thought the point of this thread wasn't to argue over which is better cause everyone in here was in agreement that what they liked or what they wanted was a Mac... not to step on anybodies toes, but it seems pretty pointless.

Last edited by thepbkid : 08-08-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:36 PM #20
f2f4

f2f4 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticoN View Post
If you can spare the time to do so, I would appreciate that.

My main focus is intense Audio work, where perfect sound quality and perfect stability take precedence.
I don't want to be whipping something up on torq, and then have the computer crash in the middle of a mix. *cough* like my last two PCs

2GB ram (not like 32-bit comps can even USE 4, which sucks), and lots of storage too. Decent multi-core proc. Videocard? I could care less. As long as it's powerful enough for HD video editing/encoding (I've heard certain GPUs help with encoding?), and will let me fire up CS/BZFlag/Xmoto when I'm bored, then I'm good.

ECC for the ram is preferred. I hate data corruption. My last machine had a stick that slowly went bad, ruining several projects in the process. It wasn't until I ran my bi-annual memtest, that the stick was flagged.
I was pissed.

Edit: You miiiiiiiggghhhht want to PM it to me though. I might piss a bunch of people off talking about PCs in the Mac thread.

The main reason I'm looking at Apple systems is because I've been given the opportunity to demo several of the systems at the Apple Store, doing work that I usually do. Mainly, mixing/managing music, photo organization and sharing, and occasional video editing. I was incredibly impressed with the seamless experience, of, well, everything. Especially with the multimedia software.
Terminal is nice too, 'cause I'm a bit of a Unix nerd from days past.

Anybody have any insight for this?

For the mac thread: Is there anything like iLife (specifically iPhoto and iMovie... I already have audio editing software more than covered)for the PC? Picasa just isn't cutting it.

And do iMacs use ECC, or is that just the Mac Pro?

Last edited by f2f4 : 08-08-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:39 PM #21
.The_Walrus. (Banned)

Damn, I wish they would have put nVidia based cards in the new iMacs
Closed Thread