Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-07-2007, 11:31 AM #1
italianplaya2k3

italianplaya2k3 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
italianplaya2k3 supports Team VICIOUS
custom paint job

alright i looked around in the sticky and couldnt find it so if i missed it i do apologize.
i have an ion pro and i just got a mustard lucky body that does not match my gun. i wanted to paint my entire gun. i was going to sand it down to the original frame color and use black and silver car paint to do it and then put it in my oven for 20 minutes on 350 any help would be great
Old 08-07-2007, 11:32 AM #2
peakSWSmob
NEK Army pwnz =D

go for it..
anno > paint imo
Old 08-07-2007, 11:34 AM #3
italianplaya2k3

will it wrk or will it chip off. any help would be great
Old 08-07-2007, 11:42 AM #4
peakSWSmob
NEK Army pwnz =D

eventually all paint chips
if you know how to paint it will last a good long while though

EDIT: powder coating is a good way to have a more durable paint job.. idk how to do it though
Old 08-07-2007, 11:43 AM #5
italianplaya2k3

well that i do but is there any paint i should use shoudl i put it in the oven longer?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:50 PM #6
Ion...

Trust me dude, don't wanna do that. Get it annoed and it will look 100 times better. I think custom ions with nothing stock look good.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:05 PM #7
italianplaya2k3

i like doing things myself i was going to do a back to silver fade. i have been painting for 10 years but not on metal just need some pointers. and i want it dust not glossy
Old 08-07-2007, 01:22 PM #8
ChuckSplat
WE ARE...... PENN STATE!!

Heres how you do it.

1. Sand it down, you dont have to take all the anno off, just enough to scuff up the surface of the metal.
2. Use a solvent to wipe it down and get it very very clean.
3. Use rustoleum primer. Make many light coats and sand with a very high grit sand paper (600-800)and wiping it down with water in between. I would recommend 3-5 coats. Wait more than 3 hours before sanding, and dry very well.
4. Sand with very very high grit sandpaper (1200+)to achieve a very smooth finish, wipe it down with water, and dry it very well (Some people use a hair dryer for this)
5. Use a very high quality spray paint to spray 5-7 light coats, using the same process of sanding and wiping down with 1200 grit, inbetween coats just like with the primer.
6. Get the highest grit sandpaper that you possibly can, and sand your newly painted gun, wipe it with water, and dry very well.
7. Get a high quality matte clear coat spray. Spray on 5-7 light coats sanding in between just like every other step.
8. After the last coat dries, don't sand it any more. Turn your oven on to 200 degrees (Don't go to 350, as i've had paint melt at this temperature) put a coat hanger through your gun and hang it from the middle rack of the oven so the paint doesnt touch anything hot and bake for 1 hour (slower heating at a lower temperature sets paint better than quick high heat).
9. Take your parts out of the oven and let them sit some where where the temperature is around 70-80 degrees over night before touching them.
10. Profit. At this stage, your gun will have a high quality finish akin to most cars. The clear coat will have hardened to the point where you could struggle to make a scratch in it.

Even doing it this way doesn't guarantee it wont chip off during play, but it will last a hell of a lot longer than just spraying it. I put a chameleon paint job on an F4 illustrator in 2003 using this method, the owner plays woodsball3-4 times a month religiously with me and still hasnt had a chip or the paint wear off.

Edit: This paintjob should take about a weekend to do. Sand and Prime Friday, Paint Saturday, Clear Coat Sunday, Ready to play Monday.

Last edited by ChuckSplat : 08-07-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:30 PM #9
italianplaya2k3

thanks alot im ganna start ill have pics in a while ganna do a black to silver fade