Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-04-2007, 01:39 PM #1
trick13ack
Dont be a terrorist

buffing compound question

what are the buffing compunds and how are they used
as in which color to which finish.
i am working on aluminum and have some cheap dremel style red rouge which sucks.
i know i need tripoli prior to appyling the final compound but i dont know which compound will bring out the shine in aluminum.
please help
ty in advance
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2007, 02:09 PM #2
border411
AllGaveSome,SomeGaveAll

border411 supports Pev's Paintball
border411 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I dont really know if it is considered a Buffing Compound, but I used Flitz in the striker and frame of my VS2, and it came out AWESOME! I also used it on Brass handles on my house and it was the best. I used it on the small buffing wheels/attachments on my Dremel.
How To Make Custom Lexan Grips
Old 08-06-2007, 12:09 AM #3
haha im a panda
MC Chris FTW

not sure about aluminum, but white diamond and fabuluster work well on sterling. i use tripoli, white diamond, then fabuluster when im making rings or belt buckles or something.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:25 AM #4
acidrain

acidrain is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
This only works for bare aluminum. You get your supplies online from www.caswellplating.com
Black compound with a spiral sewn sisal wheel for cut.
Tan compound with a spiral sewn cotton wheel for color.
Mothers mag polish (auto parts store) by hand for high luster.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:07 PM #5
Dead_Body

There's likely better options but I've had very nice luck with using automotive rust red "rubbing compound" to cut back the last sandpaper scratches and then switch to the white "polishing compoun" for the initial shine on buffing wheels and finish with Mother's or equivalent mag wheel polish.

The best way to use these is on a lower speed larger wheel. If you're using a Dremel try to not let the speed build up too high. The felt will go black almost instantly but keep checking for it to get shiney spots. Check it about every 3 to 4 seconds. Keep a bit of 2x4 handy and "clean" away the shiney spots by touching the felt to the end grain. Go easy since this will wear the felt quickly. You'll need a bunch of felt ends for doing a big job. And also do NOT use the felts from the red "rubbing compound" with the white "polishing compound. You can use felts from the white later on with the red but not the red with the white. If you try it you won't get your shine because the red compound is impossible to get out of the felt.

Larger wheels of felt or cotton on a slower speed machine are FAR FAR better. The waxes used in the polishing compounds burn out too easily at high speeds. A bigger wheen you can use on a bench grinder or even in a hand drill are way better than a Dremel for this application.