Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-02-2007, 09:05 PM #22
hp_lovecraft
Resident old timer

has been a member for 10 years
This question gets asked all the time.
You can use a solenoid valve to directly meter the flow of gas.

THe simple reason is that they do not have NEARLY enough flow capacity to handle the ball. Thats why all paintguns use wither a poppet or spool-based system.

That said, there is confusion above about what a SOLENOID is, and what a SOLENOID VALVE is.

A SOLENOID is a simple electromechanical device that produces LINEAR motion. Basically, it can either PUSH or PULL, and thats it. Like the electric door locks on your car.

A SOLENOID VALVE is a solenoid, like above, combined with a 4-way valve (or 2-way,3-way, etc). A 4-way valve is a device that controls airflow, usually to a ram, so control ram movement.

Many solenoid valves used in paintball are a special type called a "Piloted Solenoid Valve". THis have increased speed by using the solenoid to control a "pilot valve", which is like a mini- on/off, that controls a mini-ram, which then controls the primary 4-way. Sounds confusings, but it produces better performance.

nick
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2007, 09:57 PM #23
fretmelter

^^^^ thnx for the explaination but i figured tht those tiny valves wouldnt move enuff air fast enuf. and where can i buy a spool valve or poppet?
thnx

WTT:i need your cheap pump.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:25 AM #24
y0da900
Nerdivore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp_lovecraft View Post

Many solenoid valves used in paintball are a special type called a "Piloted Solenoid Valve". THis have increased speed by using the solenoid to control a "pilot valve", which is like a mini- on/off, that controls a mini-ram, which then controls the primary 4-way. Sounds confusings, but it produces better performance.
You've got that one backwards. Piloted valves are slower, but use substantially less power than direct acting. Direct acting is faster, but needs a lot more juice to run.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:55 AM #25
fretmelter

ok so then hjow does a wrath work?. it take the air from the front then when u hit the awitch it lets air pass to the back. but how does the noid move enuff air to push the ram so fast and hard?

Old 08-03-2007, 09:13 AM #26
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Christ man, read a ****ing manual or watch some animations. It works exactly the same way that any ram operated poppet valve gun does. Here's a flow chart to help you: Air enters ASA from tank -> From the ASA, air enters the HPR (high pressure regulator) -> from the regulator, regulated air enters the valve chamber (a large reservoir behind the poppet valve) where a portion of it is channeled to the LPR (low pressure regulator) -> from the LPR, regulated air enters the solenoid valve -> From the solenoid valve, air will go one of a couple places. By default, it will travel to the front of the ram so that the ram shaft retracts. Attached to the ram shaft is the hammer, and attached to the hammer is the bolt. So the entire assembly retracts - opening the breech so that a ball can load -> When the solenoid receives power from the board, the electromagnet will activate and cause the shaft inside the solenoid valve to shift. This will close off the vent to the front of the ram, vent the air from that channel out of the 'noid, and allow air to enter the vent to the back of the ram -> this shift will cause the ram shaft to fly forward, carrying the bolt and hammer with it -> the hammer will strike the valve, releasing air into the breech. At the same time, the bolt will have sealed the breech, and the air escaping from the valve will be channeled out of the bolt and onto the paintball, forcing it down the barrel.

To see animations of various different types of mechanical and electronic guns of various valve types, go here: http://www.zdspb.com/tech/misc/animations.html
Old 08-03-2007, 09:28 AM #27
fretmelter

ok ok i watched them. i guess low presure air is enuff to push the ram and bolt to hit the valve held shut with high pressure.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:49 AM #28
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

YES! That's the entire purpose of the ram. Imagine a blowback spyder, and replace the main spring with an air-controlled ram. Now you understand how a poppet valve, ram driven electro works.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:02 AM #29
fretmelter

it was baffleing cuz when i hear low pressure i think like 50-150 but really isnt it like 700?

Old 08-03-2007, 11:10 AM #30
y0da900
Nerdivore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretmelter View Post
it was baffleing cuz when i hear low pressure i think like 50-150 but really isnt it like 700?
No, low pressure really is in the lower range you mentioned. Try standing against something sturdy and pushing it. That is trying to open a valve with low pressure without the ram moving forward (already in the forward position). Now get a 50 foot head start and haul *** before throwing yourself against it, that is low pressure opening the valve with momentum thrown in (ram starting at back, building speed before hitting the pin on the valve). It gets a lot more done than just the pressure by itself. And if you feel the need to see this for yourself, bring a friend with a video camera, I'm sure we would all enjoy it
Old 08-03-2007, 11:20 AM #31
fretmelter

oooo so it uses momentum with the low pressure...wow i never thot paintball guns were tht good at being soo consistent.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:28 AM #32
MrZucchiniHead
My avvy lies, its not new

Quote:
oooo so it uses momentum with the low pressure...wow i never thot paintball guns were tht good at being soo consistent.
why else you would think guns like spyders have a heavy ram? you use a small force(sping in spyder, air in timmy) to push a heavy object(striker in spyder, ram in timmy) with very little friction(the reason you have to use lube rams and strikers) to push open a valve held with high force.

the way alot of poeple explained it in here made it seem more consifung, but that's all it is.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:29 AM #33
y0da900
Nerdivore

Quote:
oooo so it uses momentum with the low pressure
Exactly. Like it has been suggested several times now, go here, and just stare at these for several hours, you should learn a lot.

http://www.zdspb.com/tech/misc/animations.html
Old 08-03-2007, 11:38 AM #34
fretmelter

o believ me i have been lol thnx for your time.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:39 AM #35
Oscum Guy
56k Killa

looks like a cocker ram
Old 08-03-2007, 09:59 PM #36
psychoballer625
talk small

psychoballer625 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
psychoballer625 supports Team VICIOUS
psychoballer625 is for the Gunfight
psychoballer625 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
wait y did u post this question in the woided warenty section??
Old 08-04-2007, 08:39 AM #37
fretmelter

well cuz idk i just dont go to any of the general forums.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:35 PM #38
u238

u238 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
u238 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
u238 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmansr25sd View Post

the solenoid in ions doesn't supply air to the bolt, it merely flows through a barb to the air chamber, the actual air that fires the ball is in the chamber and is filled up while the gun is at rest, its not constantly flowed out by the noid or regs. The ion bolt is still just a ram as far as what the noid operates, its a one way ram, a cocker is a two way ram.
Damn, I guess I haven't seen an Ion recently enough to remember right. Where does the air flow from when the gun is at rest?
Old 08-05-2007, 09:18 AM #39
fretmelter

i belive it goes to the back of the bolt