Rate my boobs! - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

 
Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-30-2007, 08:26 AM #1
chubby bunny
Puppies on Acid
 
chubby bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Ring 0
chubby bunny is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Rate my boobs!

Did I say boobs? I meant build. Rate my BUILD. Damn this staying up late/early really ****s with my mind.

Provided my funding comes through in the next week or so, this is the build I'm planning on to replace my aging AMD64 3000+ box that is currently hobbling along headless since I toasted my 9800 Pro

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion... stTitle=rawr2

ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz (Updated)
EVGA GeForce 8600GTS 256MB
OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800
OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W
LG L245WP-BN Black 24" 8ms Widescreen LCD Monitor

I already have the HD's that are going to be going into this system. I'm looking for comments and critiques on the hardware selection. I don't play games so gaming performance isn't of a concern to me. The only game I do play is CS1.6 (and I don't even play it that often), so I'm not too worried about this hardware being able to push high-end DX10 games. The questions I have are:

Is that video card going to be able to handle that 1920x1200 monitor plus my current 1280x1024 19" Viewsonic? (I'm planning on buying a second L245WP after Christmas and ditching the 19" Viewsonic I have, but until then will I be ok?) Remember, I'm not really worried about gaming performance. I'm partial to nVidia cards because as of right now their Linux driver support is far better then ATI's, so an ATI card isn't an option right now. When I purchase the next monitor after Christmas I'm thinking I'm going to buy another 8600GTS to drive that new monitor, is that overkill? Would I be Ok with just the single 8600GTS? Would I be better off stepping up to an 8800GTS right off of the bat and not worrying about buying another card down the line?

My hopes for this system are for it to be my stepping point into Intel's Penryn arch. when it finally becomes available, hence the E4400 and not something more expensive. I figure that should tide me over until Penryn is available.

Some more background information on me and what I plan to do with this system:
- Coding (I'm a CS student, I don't have a choice)
- Web Development / Graphic Design
- Watch TV / Movies / Listen to music
- Web Browsing
- I'm partial to OCZ products because I've had great luck with them in the past and have had great customer service with them so I'd like to keep some money going there. If you think there's a more appropriate PSU / RAM for my needs from OCZ, please let me know.
- I'm planning on overclocking this system for ****s and giggles, however I don't think I'll leave it overclocked 24/7, stability is very important to me and random restarts aren't good when I haven't saved my homework in 4 hours.

That's probably more then enough information to go on, but I've been awake for too long and I'm probably rambling by now, so I'll just let you guys tear this thing apart.

Edit: The current HD's going into this system are a pair of 74GB WD Raptors. I'm planning on turning my old box into a NAS device to backup files and store media so no other internal disks will be present in this system. I also have a random assortment of CD-ROM/DVD-ROM/RW drives that I will be using.

Edit2: I run Linux and have a legit copy of XP, so I'm not worried about getting an OS, either.
__________________
Gentoo Linux / ah.fm / "Old" Feedback
█ irc.oftc.net #doublethink

Last edited by chubby bunny : 07-30-2007 at 02:42 PM.
chubby bunny is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2007, 08:26 AM #2
sames89305 (Banned)
 
sames89305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
sames89305 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
What a misleading title
sames89305 is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 08:32 AM #3
chubby bunny
Puppies on Acid
 
chubby bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Ring 0
chubby bunny is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
I know, right?? My mind stops listening to me when it gets late. Edit: **** it, I'm going to go make a pizza for breakfast. Who needs sleep, right?
__________________
Gentoo Linux / ah.fm / "Old" Feedback
█ irc.oftc.net #doublethink
chubby bunny is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 09:20 AM #4
NH PA1NTBA11 (Banned)
 
NH PA1NTBA11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New York
That's awful, let me show you a real computer.
NH PA1NTBA11 is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 09:21 AM #5
NH PA1NTBA11 (Banned)
 
NH PA1NTBA11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New York
Oh I didn't realize you didn't play games
NH PA1NTBA11 is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 09:32 AM #6
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.
 
Supra_MKIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Not what you think
I'd recommend trying to get a better processor. When you're transcoding videos or doing certain things in design programs, it will be really slow. I was working with a wallpaper-sized pic in PhotoShop on my 3000+ and it took over 20 minutes to return a liquify result

Also, unless you're going to be playing DX10 games, go with a 7900gs. It will perform better than the 8600gt, but doesn't have DX10 support. DX10 shouldn't matter to you, though, as you're going to be running XP and Linux.
__________________
ST:Tech- We write Haikus. Also, THE PLAGUE

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Supra_MKIII is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 10:20 AM #7
chubby bunny
Puppies on Acid
 
chubby bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Ring 0
chubby bunny is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_MKIII View Post
I'd recommend trying to get a better processor. When you're transcoding videos or doing certain things in design programs, it will be really slow. I was working with a wallpaper-sized pic in PhotoShop on my 3000+ and it took over 20 minutes to return a liquify result
I know how that is. I have a 3000+ also with 2GB of RAM currently and I was working on a 18"x24" (@300DPI) poster and it was horrible. I don't do a whole lot of work at that size as most of my PS/Illustrator time is spent mocking up websites. I figured the E4400 would still end up being significantly faster then what I'm used to. I'd like to try to conserve some cash for when Penryn comes out, but if I end up with more then I'm expecting when I order these parts I'll probably take that advice and bump up a level or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_MKIII View Post
Also, unless you're going to be playing DX10 games, go with a 7900gs. It will perform better than the 8600gt, but doesn't have DX10 support. DX10 shouldn't matter to you, though, as you're going to be running XP and Linux.
You're right, I'm not really worried all to much about DX10 support. You think the 7900gs will power both of 24" down the road or will I have to end up getting another for the other monitor? I've been reading various benchmarks for these cards, but it's hard for me to tell when a card is going to be sufficient at those extremely high resolutions or just chug along based on framerates from games :/ I'm not really sure what to look for to determine 2d (desktop) performance-- I'm making the assumption that I can play 1.6 on pretty much any hardware these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH PA1NTBA11 View Post
Oh I didn't realize you didn't play games
A great deal of my budget is taken up by the monitor and I'm trying to not buy the best of the best procesor because what I'm looking to buy is just going to hold me over until Penryn is released-- then I'll pick one of those guys up along with another 24" panel and some more RAM and I should be set for some years to come.

Edit: That pizza was ****ing good. Now it's time for bed because I can't tell if I'm making any sense or not =o I appreciate the responses guys.
__________________
Gentoo Linux / ah.fm / "Old" Feedback
█ irc.oftc.net #doublethink

Last edited by chubby bunny : 07-30-2007 at 10:23 AM.
chubby bunny is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 10:56 AM #8
d is for duc
shoot.kill.wipe.wipe.wipe
 
d is for duc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Nor*Cal
 has been a member for 10 years
8600 =X i have one it runs soooo smoooth =] cs ftw
__________________
duCk.foo
oldfeedback
d is for duc is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 11:24 AM #9
Mustang7302
has been here too long
 
Mustang7302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Mustang7302 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Mustang7302 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
The P35 chipset does not support the out dated 800MHz FSB that the E4400 Runs on. You're going to need to run a E6300 or better for it work with that board.

I say the PSU and memory is overkill, but it's your money to spend.
__________________
Cars, Technology, and Stogies ... All the fine things in life.

"Originally posted by Volucris: Computers are tools. Man is separated by how well he chooses his tool."

"Originally posted by Rebeltilldeath3: We went from Allan Sheppard, Gus Grissom, Neil Armstrong, and Buzz Aldrin to Charlie Sheen, Lindsay Lohan, and Snooki."
Mustang7302 is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 11:36 AM #10
epidemic23
 
 
epidemic23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
epidemic23 is a Supporting Member
I'd save $350 by getting a 22" monitor, and using that towards a better vid card and cpu.
__________________
Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication - Leonardo DaVinci

old_fb
epidemic23 is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 12:22 PM #11
PaintTheWorld
 
 
PaintTheWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
 has been a member for 10 years
this thread does not deliver
__________________
Old FEEDBACK 14/1/0
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=193624
Good Trader List
http://www1.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=22390


COMPETITION LEVEL CAR AUDIO SYSTEM FOR SALE EXTREMLY CHEAP!!
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3156224
PaintTheWorld is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 01:37 PM #12
Chris 2k3 WGP Rocks
NOT A FINGA
 
Chris 2k3 WGP Rocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Rochester..New York
 has been a member for 10 years
AWSOME motherboard. Good build.
__________________
My Retro Marker Collection.

Tribal Twister #2012
Zap ZXS-600e
Chris 2k3 WGP Rocks is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 01:38 PM #13
EGO_FREAK
Aw ****.......
 
EGO_FREAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Temple University
EGO_FREAK is a Supporting Member
EGO_FREAK is playing at Living Legends III
EGO_FREAK owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
EGO_FREAK supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby bunny View Post
Did I say boobs? I meant build. Rate my BUILD. Damn this staying up late/early really ****s with my mind.

Provided my funding comes through in the next week or so, this is the build I'm planning on to replace my aging AMD64 3000+ box that is currently hobbling along headless since I toasted my 9800 Pro

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion... stTitle=rawr2

ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35
Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 2.0GHz
EVGA GeForce 8600GTS 256MB
OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800
OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W
LG L245WP-BN Black 24" 8ms Widescreen LCD Monitor

I already have the HD's that are going to be going into this system. I'm looking for comments and critiques on the hardware selection. I don't play games so gaming performance isn't of a concern to me. The only game I do play is CS1.6 (and I don't even play it that often), so I'm not too worried about this hardware being able to push high-end DX10 games. The questions I have are:

Is that video card going to be able to handle that 1920x1200 monitor plus my current 1280x1024 19" Viewsonic? (I'm planning on buying a second L245WP after Christmas and ditching the 19" Viewsonic I have, but until then will I be ok?) Remember, I'm not really worried about gaming performance. I'm partial to nVidia cards because as of right now their Linux driver support is far better then ATI's, so an ATI card isn't an option right now. When I purchase the next monitor after Christmas I'm thinking I'm going to buy another 8600GTS to drive that new monitor, is that overkill? Would I be Ok with just the single 8600GTS? Would I be better off stepping up to an 8800GTS right off of the bat and not worrying about buying another card down the line?

My hopes for this system are for it to be my stepping point into Intel's Penryn arch. when it finally becomes available, hence the E4400 and not something more expensive. I figure that should tide me over until Penryn is available.

Some more background information on me and what I plan to do with this system:
- Coding (I'm a CS student, I don't have a choice)
- Web Development / Graphic Design
- Watch TV / Movies / Listen to music
- Web Browsing
- I'm partial to OCZ products because I've had great luck with them in the past and have had great customer service with them so I'd like to keep some money going there. If you think there's a more appropriate PSU / RAM for my needs from OCZ, please let me know.
- I'm planning on overclocking this system for ****s and giggles, however I don't think I'll leave it overclocked 24/7, stability is very important to me and random restarts aren't good when I haven't saved my homework in 4 hours.

That's probably more then enough information to go on, but I've been awake for too long and I'm probably rambling by now, so I'll just let you guys tear this thing apart.

Edit: The current HD's going into this system are a pair of 74GB WD Raptors. I'm planning on turning my old box into a NAS device to backup files and store media so no other internal disks will be present in this system. I also have a random assortment of CD-ROM/DVD-ROM/RW drives that I will be using.

Edit2: I run Linux and have a legit copy of XP, so I'm not worried about getting an OS, either.
that RACK seems FIRM so if you are REAL about this you will be HAPPY

__________________
"Originally posted by Bunkered89: Right. Let's move this thread to a section where we would get mostly biased responses. Great logic, chief. I think the OP wanted opinions from ST in general and not the Evangelists in ST:R."
EGO_FREAK is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 01:42 PM #14
Chris 2k3 WGP Rocks
NOT A FINGA
 
Chris 2k3 WGP Rocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Rochester..New York
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGO_FREAK View Post
that RACK seems FIRM so if you are REAL about this you will be HAPPY

No sagging?
__________________
My Retro Marker Collection.

Tribal Twister #2012
Zap ZXS-600e
Chris 2k3 WGP Rocks is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 02:41 PM #15
chubby bunny
Puppies on Acid
 
chubby bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Ring 0
chubby bunny is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by d is for duc View Post
8600 =X i have one it runs soooo smoooth =] cs ftw
What resolution do you run at? If you don't mind me asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang7302 View Post
The P35 chipset does not support the out dated 800MHz FSB that the E4400 Runs on. You're going to need to run a E6300 or better for it work with that board.

I say the PSU and memory is overkill, but it's your money to spend.
Wow! Thank you for catching that! Supra's going to get his way and I'm going to have to pick a new processor. Originally I was going to go with the E6320, but for the extra 19$ I might as well go with the E6550. Thanks again for catching that, list updated. I'm kind of happy someone said that some parts are overkill-- I'm not sure if you where able to read the massive post at the beginning of this thread or not, but I'm planning on upgrading this build a few months down the road with another video card (to drive the second monitor if I can figure out if it'll be worth it/needed). I currently have an OCZ PowerStream 420. You think that would be enough to push this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by epidemic23 View Post
I'd save $350 by getting a 22" monitor, and using that towards a better vid card and cpu.
I'm looking to be able to play 1080p content in the future on this monitor, if you can show me a 22" monitor in that resolution for that price, I'm down. I don't play games and the CPU is going to be replaced a few months down the road when Penryn is rumored to be released. I've spent a long time picking out this panel and I've finally settled on it as I had a chance to check one out at BestBuy over the weekend. Also, I'm not looking for a TN panel monitor since this will be used as a TV sometimes, so non-TN is a necessity. If you have an idea for something else I might be interested in I'd love to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintTheWorld View Post
this thread does not deliver
Haha, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 2k3 WGP Rocks View Post
AWSOME motherboard. Good build.
Yeah, thanks for pointing it out to me. It's pretty cheap for a high-end board and all of the reviews I've read about it have been great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGO_FREAK View Post
that RACK seems FIRM so if you are REAL about this you will be HAPPY
Haha, Alright.

Thanks for your input, guys.
__________________
Gentoo Linux / ah.fm / "Old" Feedback
█ irc.oftc.net #doublethink

Last edited by chubby bunny : 07-30-2007 at 02:50 PM.
chubby bunny is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 03:17 PM #16
Imperialism
Touring Worldwide
 
Imperialism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Here's my attempt at helping. I've been keeping up with the latest tech and such so this all is reputable info.

I've been keeping up with the latest and greatest LCD panels and such. Your best buy for a 24" LCD is the Dell 2407WFP-HC model. It's nearly perfect now.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-5647

Right now, the 8600 DX10 cards are wastes. They're not capable of displaying playable DX10 framerates. It's best to either go with the 8800 cards, or drop to a great DX9 card like the ATI X1950XT with a Zalman VF900 to make it quiet. So it's really either make a jump to the 8800s or do the high-end DX9 card with a replacement cooler.
Since you would like a 24" monitor, you might need extra video ram to take advantage of the 1920x1200 resolution. Sure you could easily pass by with a $300 8800GTS 320mb if you're not going to be gaming. But to really game on a 1920x1200 resolution you'll want to go with something that has more video ram like the 8800GTS 640mb or the 8800GTX 768mb. Really it just depends on how much you game. Since you don't game much at all, I recommend springing for the high-end DX9 card and using that to hold you over until DX10 is actually rolled into the market. Right now current DX10 cards are not that great for DX10 rendering.
So this is my recommendation:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102067
plus
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118001

Though if you'd really like to go DX10 and have a lot more potential power and features, I would go for this 8800GTS 320mb because it doesn't seem that you'll need the 640mb for the little gaming you plan on doing.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130038
That's a hell of a lot of power for just $280 after rebate. Also EVGA will replace it down the line with a new card even if you intentionally overclock the crap out of it.

Now for memory. As a coder you're not going to see much of a difference between Cas 4 and Cas 5 DDR2 800. Only when you do encoding you might save a second or two and in games you might get a couple extra fps. It's really not worth the money in the majority of cases to buy high-end ram.
For you I would recommend taking advantage of cheap ram prices and just getting this if you want to mess with a rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220144
or this if you don't want to deal with a rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820211066


So yeah. Just get a CPU that works on P35 like the 6550 and stick with your current psu choice(the OCZ GameXtreme 600W).
__________________
"From my cold, dead hands!" - Charlton Heston
ApoC_101 - "supra is such a tool... disregard his posts."
Imperialism is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 03:18 PM #17
OA Baller
RIP Will S,Chris G,Nina M
 
OA Baller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Maryland
OA Baller is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sames89305 View Post
What a misleading title
really got me.
__________________
Towson University Paintball
Powered by:
Paintball Wholesalers
Unsigned Photos

Lambda Chi Alpha - Phi Omega Zeta
OA Baller is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 03:48 PM #18
epidemic23
 
 
epidemic23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
epidemic23 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby bunny View Post

I'm looking to be able to play 1080p content in the future on this monitor, if you can show me a 22" monitor in that resolution for that price, I'm down. I don't play games and the CPU is going to be replaced a few months down the road when Penryn is rumored to be released. I've spent a long time picking out this panel and I've finally settled on it as I had a chance to check one out at BestBuy over the weekend. Also, I'm not looking for a TN panel monitor since this will be used as a TV sometimes, so non-TN is a necessity. If you have an idea for something else I might be interested in I'd love to check it out.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824254020
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824254024

I run 720P on the silver/black one and its like perfect, never tried 1080P. the black one says it supports 1080P though.
__________________
Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication - Leonardo DaVinci

old_fb
epidemic23 is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 03:58 PM #19
chubby bunny
Puppies on Acid
 
chubby bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Ring 0
chubby bunny is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperialism View Post
I've been keeping up with the latest and greatest LCD panels and such. Your best buy for a 24" LCD is the Dell 2407WFP-HC model. It's nearly perfect now.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-5647
This was the other monitor I've been considering. My biggest problem is buying a monitor unseen. I don't have a way to check out that monitor in person ulnike the LG which I was able to see yesterday. If the panel in the Dell is the same as the LG (I'll have to head over to [H] and check) then I'll probably be more then happy with it. I'll have to do a little more research here.

Edit2: After doing a bit of research over at [H], it seems that the LG has the better panel for my uses (S-PVA versus the LG's P-MVA panel). I just wish there was a way I could look at it before having to order it from Dell. I hate having to return things through the mail if I don't like it :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperialism View Post
Right now, the 8600 DX10 cards are wastes. They're not capable of displaying playable DX10 framerates. It's best to either go with the 8800 cards, or drop to a great DX9 card like the ATI X1950XT with a Zalman VF900 to make it quiet. So it's really either make a jump to the 8800s or do the high-end DX9 card with a replacement cooler.
I was originally considering the 8800GTS, but I was under the impression that it was going to be overkill since I do mainly 2d work. HOWEVER, if I'll be able to drive both of those monitors with one card, then I think it would be a better buy then buying a low/mid-range card now and a second one later on to drive the second monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperialism View Post
Since you would like a 24" monitor, you might need extra video ram to take advantage of the 1920x1200 resolution. Sure you could easily pass by with a $300 8800GTS 320mb if you're not going to be gaming. But to really game on a 1920x1200 resolution you'll want to go with something that has more video ram like the 8800GTS 640mb or the 8800GTX 768mb. Really it just depends on how much you game. Since you don't game much at all, I recommend springing for the high-end DX9 card and using that to hold you over until DX10 is actually rolled into the market. Right now current DX10 cards are not that great for DX10 rendering.
Gaming isn't really an important consideration for me because of how little I do it. Like I said earlier, I play CS1.6 in one or two week increments and then I don't even touch it for months at a time. That's how serious I take my gaming As long as I can get ahold of a card that will run CS1.6 at native resolution (will it even run at that resolution?! I have no idea) and either handle the dual 24s or be cheap enough that I can buy another down the road to push the second monitor, I'll be happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperialism View Post
I'd rather avoid ATI cards as their Linux driver support is lacking right now compared to what nVidia is offering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperialism View Post
Though if you'd really like to go DX10 and have a lot more potential power and features, I would go for this 8800GTS 320mb because it doesn't seem that you'll need the 640mb for the little gaming you plan on doing.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130038
That's a hell of a lot of power for just $280 after rebate. Also EVGA will replace it down the line with a new card even if you intentionally overclock the crap out of it.
That was the exact 8800GTS card I was considering. I haven't heard anything but good about it. Do you think it'll be able to push the dual 24's on it's own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperialism View Post
Now for memory. As a coder you're not going to see much of a difference between Cas 4 and Cas 5 DDR2 800. Only when you do encoding you might save a second or two and in games you might get a couple extra fps. It's really not worth the money in the majority of cases to buy high-end ram.
For you I would recommend taking advantage of cheap ram prices and just getting this if you want to mess with a rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820220144
or this if you don't want to deal with a rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820211066
That OCZ RAM I'm looking at is very close in price to the two different modules you've listed after MIR. I'm not a big fan of MIR's, but considering what I paid for my last kit of RAM a few years back, I don't have a problem paying a little more for RAM, especially if it's OCZ since I'd like to keep spending money with them since they've really helped me out in the past.

What do you think? I appreciate the input. I don't want to see dismissive to other peoples ideas so I hope I don't come off that way, but I like to put my builds through a sort of "public review" so people can catch my dumb mistakes and see if they have any better ideas for me. I really do appreciate everyone's input.
__________________
Gentoo Linux / ah.fm / "Old" Feedback
█ irc.oftc.net #doublethink

Last edited by chubby bunny : 07-30-2007 at 04:31 PM.
chubby bunny is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 04:06 PM #20
chubby bunny
Puppies on Acid
 
chubby bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Ring 0
chubby bunny is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by epidemic23 View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824254020
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824254024

I run 720P on the silver/black one and its like perfect, never tried 1080P. the black one says it supports 1080P though.
The only issue I have with those, even thought they "support" 1080P, is that they don't have the resolution to display full 1080P resolution (19201080). As far as I can tell the smallest monitor that does that is a 24". Unfortunately going from 22->24" also includes a great price increase. The other issuse, is that since I'm going to be using it as a TV from time to time and doing graphics work (but not playing games), I can't deal with a TN panel (which I'm assuming those have since they're so inexpensive). Thanks for pointing those out to me, though.
__________________
Gentoo Linux / ah.fm / "Old" Feedback
█ irc.oftc.net #doublethink
chubby bunny is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 05:00 PM #21
NeverForgetYa
Flip the script
 
NeverForgetYa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
 has been a member for 10 years
I use ABIT and OCZ in my builds almost exclusively so those components all look great. Regarding the GPU I think two cards is overkill. You can probably drive two 24"s with a cheaper card (7600GT?) but you might want to read about someone else's experiences first. Best of luck to you!
__________________
All-American
punishersPB
SmartParts
NeverForgetYa is offline  
 




Posting Rules
Forum Jump