PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-29-2007, 02:39 PM #85
Evan_W_123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ||IcEs|| View Post
if I was a pro player, I wouldnt enjoy getting mobbed with Pms and adoration.

Just me though.
Yeah if i was a pro, I'd be on as much as possible to help people. But then again, wouldn't be in shape if I did that.
-Sanded down ACS bolt, Cut down the Drop-Forward, -Lightened trigger switch

If your parents dont pay for your paintball stuff put this in your sig.
Evan_W_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2007, 04:27 PM #86
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farside_Logan View Post
i'm a little confused. why does everyone keep asking for the definition of a pro player?

i thought it was generally understood that pros are NPPL and NXL pro players on franchised teams. it just seems that if you're looking to be the best this is where you go. it's not like; "man i'm way better than all these people i think i'll go really test myself in scenario/millenium....". not to dig on those guys. it's just not the same competitive atmosphere. it's more about fun.

regardless, in response to zuanji, i think the whole green name thing is a way to let people communicate with pro players. a lot of people seem to want to, which in and of itself makes it a pretty good idea. plus, there's a LOT of BS floating around these forums, and sometimes it's nice to know what your source of info is. not that pros are infallible sources of information, but by being the most experienced they generally fill that roll.

same thing with the pro gear forum. a lot of people seem to want pro players' gear, and pros generally get paid in gear. since people want pros gear (which helps the pbnation by bringing more people) and pros have it to sell (which helps them) it forms somewhat of a symbiotic relationship.

what other pro sports are there where you are openly invited to practice with pro teams, buy their gear, and email them at will? that's a pretty incredible situation and presents quite an opportunity to improve as a player (which very few people seem to grasp or take advantage of).

-logan
Very true. I could not have said it better myself, even if you were a little harsh about the Millennium and some Scenario players. We want to recognize the Pros online who are already recognized in real life when they go play.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:05 PM #87
dm6man

good idea
dm6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:24 PM #88
JRM
WEAR IT!

Annual Supporting Member
JRM is a Supporting Member
JRM is a founding member
JRM is a Professional paintball player
JRM plays in the PSP
JRM plays in the APPA Pro division
JRM supports Empire
Thanks for the recognition, not a lot of people realize the personal sacrifice that goes along with the pro title, just know it's appreciated.

Jeff
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:33 PM #89
STDFan#1
STD Baby!!!!

well this sort of thing can also be bad because even more people will be leaving them constant PM's and such
STDFan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:07 PM #90
Kyle
RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAY!

Annual Supporting Member
Kyle is an Administrator
Kyle is a Supporting Member
Kyle is a founding member
Kyle supports Bob Gurnsey
Kyle supports our troops
Kyle is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by STDFan#1 View Post
well this sort of thing can also be bad because even more people will be leaving them constant PM's and such
You realize you can set it so only people on your friends list can PM you.. right?

Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:20 AM #91
midwestballer$219$ (Banned)

im just curious, how are you identifying the pro players?
midwestballer$219$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:40 AM #92
John

Annual Supporting Member
See one we missed? Or see one that shouldn't be in green?
Old 07-31-2007, 01:24 PM #93
Eternal Acacia
The Canyon Behind Her

Eternal Acacia is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestballer$219$ View Post
im just curious, how are you identifying the pro players?
It says so earlier in this thread. The whos who section in each teams forum.
and the future don't exist

"Originally posted by XSVterror16 V.4: Alright, let me break this down for you. Subaru is a company with stars and a blue background in it's symbol. The national color of Australia is blue and their nights have lots of stars in the sky. Subaru uses bockster motors from Porches. Subaru is Australian and uses Porche motors in their cars. Understand?"
Eternal Acacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:34 AM #94
majinebz

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
We can't explain why Pros travel insane distances, practice their weekends away and subject their bodies to the brutal punishment of constant playing aside for the love of the game.
Ahhh I'm pretty sure anybody who is offered free gear, markers, and paint will practice every weekend and travel to play. You write like they have the bad end of the deal.
majinebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:07 AM #95
4x4le

Quote:
Originally Posted by majinebz View Post
Ahhh I'm pretty sure anybody who is offered free gear, markers, and paint will practice every weekend and travel to play. You write like they have the bad end of the deal.
you have to be kidding right? I get talk like this from many people at the fields that I got to. They think I'm crazy because I have played for so long and I play well and have "potential" but don't feel like getting caught up in all the tourney bs. I mean I like my occasional tourney but I love playing paintball and there is no better way to enjoy one of my days off but to play some rec speedball, especially if it is with tourney players and tourney rules. You don't have to get mad at your friends/team mates for messing up, you don't have to make sure you can get days off of work bla bla. So my first point is making it to every match in a small tourney series like cfoa or mspa can be a hassle in its self, one many people aren't even willing to make. Now playing pro ball......... Wow, how much do you think most of these guys get paid? Some people don't want to be 25 and still live with their parents. Some people want to make more than $25-30k a year. Some people want to start families and be able to actually see them. Some people would like to be able to get a good job that offers 401k and get in on that early so they can have a good retirement. They can also get insurance. I don't see the blue cross blue shield sponsor any pro teams.

I don't think many people realize how pro players literally put their lives on hold just so they can promote the sport of paintball. Sure, they cant complain too much because it is a decision they made, but they have every right to get upset when people make statements with out even considering the personal scafrices they made. What happens when they hurt their back and their paintball career is over and it is hard for them to get a good job? Their fans just start cheering for someone else and you buy the gun that your new favorite pro player uses.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:08 PM #96
China Man
(. Y. )

lemme get that pro perk...
China Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:56 PM #97
John

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by China Man View Post
lemme get that pro perk...
Go Pro. Then you'll get the green text.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:24 PM #98
OzZy401
Child Please

OzZy401 plays in the PSP
OzZy401 donated to help Peyton Trent
OzZy401 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
OzZy401 supports Team VICIOUS
Amazing Idea. This also takes away the threat of poser professional players. The real pros deserve this. Great job fellas.

Providence NTL
I Support:
Dynasty
upTon 187 cRew
OzZy401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:54 AM #99
lil' Nicky (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by majinebz View Post
It's not that they have the "bad end" of the deal, if they didn't like it, they wouldn't do it.

But not alot of people realize what it takes to play in the PRO ranks, can you honestly imagine playing every single weekend of the year, and practicing during the week sometimes too.

And then having to fly halfway across the world, come back all jetlagged and then have like 1 day to rest before you have to fly out to another tournament?

And all of this whilst you try to have another job to actually pay for your life.

It's not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4le View Post
you have to be kidding right? I get talk like this from many people at the fields that I got to. They think I'm crazy because I have played for so long and I play well and have "potential" but don't feel like getting caught up in all the tourney bs. I mean I like my occasional tourney but I love playing paintball and there is no better way to enjoy one of my days off but to play some rec speedball, especially if it is with tourney players and tourney rules. You don't have to get mad at your friends/team mates for messing up, you don't have to make sure you can get days off of work bla bla. So my first point is making it to every match in a small tourney series like cfoa or mspa can be a hassle in its self, one many people aren't even willing to make. Now playing pro ball......... Wow, how much do you think most of these guys get paid? Some people don't want to be 25 and still live with their parents. Some people want to make more than $25-30k a year. Some people want to start families and be able to actually see them. Some people would like to be able to get a good job that offers 401k and get in on that early so they can have a good retirement. They can also get insurance. I don't see the blue cross blue shield sponsor any pro teams.

I don't think many people realize how pro players literally put their lives on hold just so they can promote the sport of paintball. Sure, they cant complain too much because it is a decision they made, but they have every right to get upset when people make statements with out even considering the personal scafrices they made. What happens when they hurt their back and their paintball career is over and it is hard for them to get a good job? Their fans just start cheering for someone else and you buy the gun that your new favorite pro player uses.
Well put.
lil' Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:06 AM #100
4x4le

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' Nicky View Post

Well put.
I was drunk (and I am now too) but I tried. I dont think I could even deal with the stuff my local d3 nppl team deals with!
Old 08-02-2007, 09:40 AM #101
amargio
REAL JOIN DATE FEB 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Malone View Post
No, there is not. BUT some players in the Scenario League put more time in the game, make way more events (19 a season here) Practice every weekend, spend much on the game and even have some big name sponsors.
So as this debate will/can go on for ever, I think the term Pro is to Wide spread of a term when every area of paintball SHOULD be included.
NO...PRO IS PRO !
amargio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:28 PM #102
crazyazain
Nathan Truong

crazyazain plays in the PSP
crazyazain plays in the MiLP
crazyazain plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by IchBinKaseBrot View Post
Can those of us who make our living refereeing those players get some sort of recognition? Seriously, this is all I do for a living.
I have to agree.
[color="Yellow"]APPA

Last edited by John : 08-03-2007 at 04:13 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag
crazyazain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:10 PM #103
lil' Nicky (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Malone View Post
No, there is not. BUT some players in the Scenario League put more time in the game, make way more events (19 a season here) Practice every weekend, spend much on the game and even have some big name sponsors.
So as this debate will/can go on for ever, I think the term Pro is to Wide spread of a term when every area of paintball SHOULD be included.
Whilst I do realize that you guys also give alot of yourselves to the sport (I can't obviously relate how much since I don't play scenario ball, but I do know alot of people who do) but the fact of the matter is that PbNation (As a website) is majorly frequented by tournament style players (Or at least that's what it seems to me and always has), and such players are alot more publicized than for instance "scenario pros", you see advertisements in magazines including them etc etc.

And as such, it is alot more likely that people on the website will recognize these players and like to interact with them, it's not so much the case for scenario pros (Or at least not in such a big proportion).

Again, not trying to take anything away from you, you guys do your thing and we do ours, but I hope you realize my reasoning behind this.

I play PRO in the Millennium Series and I'd like to have a PRO tag too, but it just doesn't happen because you want to. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyazain View Post
Quote:
Can those of us who make our living refereeing those players get some sort of recognition? Seriously, this is all I do for a living.

I have to agree.
Pfft, please give me a break. Now everyone wants a special tag?

What about the guys that fill the pods for the teams at the tournaments? Should they get a tag? Or the guys with the squeegies that clean the bunkers? Do they get a tag too?

And I've reffed a whole season of PRO paintball so I know what I'm talking about, I think it hardly deserves a tag...
lil' Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:14 PM #104
John

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Can those of us who make our living refereeing those players get some sort of recognition?
I'd actually like to get a Ref forum here first. That seems like an obvious first step. I'm not sure if there is interest enough even for that.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:36 PM #105
xPiZZeRx
Just Chillin'

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
We can't explain why Pros travel insane distances, practice their weekends away and subject their bodies to the brutal punishment of constant playing aside for the love of the game.
Contradicted yourself, lol.

xPiZZeRx is offline   Reply With Quote