PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-23-2007, 04:22 PM #1
SuMioN
Dm6 will still **** you

Starting a Team

I'm going to be going to the University of Scranton, PA next year. and I'm hoping to start a club the first year. And mabye, a school team by my second year. I'm not entirely sure of the format of the NCPA or how it goes. Anyway, I had some questions and anyone can anwser preferably people of College Teams. Anyway here goes:

1)What is the format 5man or 7man???

2)I hear there's a ton of tournaments, and you can choose which ones you go to. Which are the major tournaments I'm looking for about 5 of them.

3)How did you get your school to fund your team??? (I only ask because I know the acutal touni's themselves are expensive. Not to mention the fact that you have to have decent guns, hoppers and tanks and some of the people might not have this.)

4)What is the avg. cost per tourni???

5)Whats the diff. between class AA and A?

6)How many people would you suggest on a roster??? (I was thinking about 10)

7)Is it easy to get people involved in the club/team?

8)Finally, What would you suggest for Me?? What problems did you experience?, What would you change?? and What was your fav. event of the season???

Keep in mind the fact that I'm just starting out a team and have never delt with an Organization this big....Anyone who helped, Thank You so much for your input and anything that you contribute.
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2007, 08:42 PM #2
sneakyweasel
azn

Annual Supporting Member
sneakyweasel is a Supporting Member
sneakyweasel is an NCPA player
sneakyweasel plays in the APPA D5 division
1. 5 man
2. depends on where your school is and there arent really any major tourneys other than nations which is in the spring.
3. every schools different gotta go and present a budget and reasons why your should get some of the money instead of the other 100 clubs. in reality most clubs dont get funding and if they do its not that much.
4. avg cost for tourneys varies by location but for the midwest north i think it was around 350 plus paint i think not sure.
5.class AA is straight 5man no ramping no coaching single game matches
class A is an xball format with coaching and 20 min halves with points being scored but still no ramping. Class A is considered by Class A schools to be superior to Class AA and cost more money and your must beable to field more good players.
6. roster for a class AA team is max of 8 a school can send multiple teams like platteville sends 4 alot of times. roster for a club thats different you want as many people as you can get.
7.not really. you cant win prizes in college paintball and you generally end up paying for most of practices and tourneys. you may get some people to step up but its not always that easy to get people to work for nothing(money wise)
8.have fun with the club. listen to the memebers see how it wants to be run. have a competition team and a rec team. you cant win anything but bragging rights and memories in college ball so just enjoy it. you are gonna have problems between teammates and all the bull**** that you get with bringing random people together. talk to the PSU guys they have a great team and a huge club.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:05 PM #3
NTexPaintballFounder
Founder - NT Paintball

^ word.

he pretty much covered everything.

as far as tournament costs, it (for us) was usually [entry + (cost of 1 case paint * # games)]

make sure you save up money for nationals. its expensive, but its worth it.

one thing i have to make sure i throw out there, it will help a LOT to have seperate people run the recreation side and the tournament side. Running both is (not impossible but) a lot of work for one person (trust me, i did it).

best of luck to you.

it's all been said and done... I'm graduated now.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:32 AM #4
DrexelSquirrel
Killadelphia

1)5man

2)Scranton PA, then you'll be looking for the NEIC Class AA (5-man) tournaments. There are 4 of them each year, ranging in location from Pittsburgh, Connecticut, Philly, etc. Plus Nationals in April, it will probably be down South somewhere.

3)Clubs and Club Sports at our school go through a funding process where we make a budget for the next year and submit it for approval in March. By the end of May we'll have an answer on how much funding we've been allocated. Other schools have different processes, check with your school's activities board/SGA. I wouldn't expect them to fund your equipment, as that might turn into a rather nasty situation on maintenance/ownership.

4)About $500 for paint and entrance, plus travel expenses. Some events you might need to get a hotel room if its a long distance (Pittsburgh = 5-6 hours from Philly including stopping at every rest stop).

5)Class AA is a 5-man format. It is open to all teams. Class A is an X-Ball format. Conferences are closed at the beginning of the season, but there are open events at World Cup and Nationals.

6)Bare minimum, 5. But a better number would be 7-8, since you never know when people can't make an event.

7)Usually, in my experience, the only people interested in paintball at school are those that already play. I don't think we've ever recruited someone brand new to the sport since I've been here.

8)The only problem I've experienced is getting people to practice. And jersey designs. Those always are a pain in the ***. But I guess it pays off for the **** we got .

One thing that I recommend is that once you get a solid roster and are ready to compete, get some outside support. The best way to do this is find a field and work with them on a deal. You help them ref tournaments, ref rec days, clean bunkers, etc, they'll repay you with ****, whether it be cash or free practices/paint.

Last edited by DrexelSquirrel : 07-24-2007 at 01:37 AM.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:28 AM #5
SuMioN
Dm6 will still **** you

Ok, Thanks alot guys. Everything you said was great info. And, now I know alot more which should help me alot.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:23 PM #6
sneakyweasel
azn

Annual Supporting Member
sneakyweasel is a Supporting Member
sneakyweasel is an NCPA player
sneakyweasel plays in the APPA D5 division
good luck and hope to see another club add to the ncpa
Old 07-31-2007, 01:53 AM #7
sp33dba77er

woww you really need to put a lot of moneyy into this..

but GOOD LUCK i hope you get far