Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-18-2009, 09:38 AM #1
Latsabb

Starting to wonder if I made a bad purchase...

I had been playing with some old piece of crap paintball mask that I had from years ago when I played. I am not 100% sure, but I think it was actually a Brass Eagle. Anyway, point being that it was old and crap. So, I had trashed it, and ordered a JT Proflex Revolution, hearing many good things about it. I got it in the mail, put it on, and liked the feel and all that, and have not been out to play with it yet.

Well, I have had little to do at work the last few days, and have been watching videos from a place that I guess I cant say the name of... and stuff, and I keep hearing some things about the Proflex. Mostly about little ear protection, and chin/throat shots. Needless to say, I am not a big fan of being hit in any of those three places.

So, I am starting to wonder if I made a bad purchase, and should get a new mask? I only play woodsball, as there is no actual paintball course anywhere near me. I was looking at the Dye I3s, as they look awesome, but have heard VERY bad stories about their lens removal.

So, I am now looking at maybe a Grill. What do you guys think? Is everyone just blowing it out of proportion, and the Proflex Revolution is just fine, or should I switch it out? And has anyone here had experience with the JT Headshields? They look like VERY good full head coverage.

Thanks for any input!
Latsabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-18-2009, 10:43 AM #2
D-man[WarLlamas]
Old and in the way

Annual Supporting Member
D-man[WarLlamas] posts videos on PbNation
D-man[WarLlamas] plays in the APPA beginner division
the Revolution is fine. It has rubber ears (not foam like the Pro-Flex) No mask is gonna cover your throat because you would not be able to look down. If throat protection is a concern, buy a throat protector or wear a bandana or something similar.

I recommend wearing the mask and quit listening to people. THERE IS NO PERFECT MASK, so you're gonna hear good/bad about every mask out there.

- - Buy my swagg: - - - - - - XSV Axe Pro for sale! - - -

Last edited by D-man[WarLlamas] : 12-18-2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: used 'your' instead of 'you're'
D-man[WarLlamas] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:02 AM #3
biggums
Come at me bro

biggums plays in the APPA D5 division
i agree with D-man

Kids... if you really want to piss off your parents buy real estate in an imaginary place.
Facebook
Paintball Adventures Park-JS Photography-Unsigned Photos
biggums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:28 PM #4
tlaloc1138

Annual Supporting Member
tlaloc1138 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tlaloc1138 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tlaloc1138 supports our troops
d-man is right. those goggles are gonna work great. that was my initial worry with my i4's, very low profile. you can wear a throat protector but honestly it won't make much of a difference.
tlaloc1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:52 PM #5
Stuckboy
Lawlsaurus

if you dont like being shot, dont play. regardless of what mask you have those 3 places are gonna hurt like a *****.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:35 PM #6
Latsabb

I don't mind being shot. (although I like to avoid it, as I am sure most do.) However, I also dont want to leave soft spot areas wildly unprotected. However, I know a lot of people seem to blow things out of proportion, and people will often post negative feedback before posting positive feedback. So, i try to take things with a grain of salt. But when professional reviews of the mask start to point it out, it makes me start to wonder.

I am more curious to see if anyone has owned a Proflex Revolution AND a Vforce Grill, and can give a quick "I like such and such better than the other due to reason X" or some such. A lot of times though, people post a "buy this before that" meaning if you have not made a purchase yet, but if you already own it, they say it will be just fine.

Being that I have not actually used the mask yet, I have a shot of actually returning it now. However, if I go and take it out a couple times to check it out, I will no longer have that luxury.

Once again, thanks for the answers.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:20 PM #7
D-man[WarLlamas]
Old and in the way

Annual Supporting Member
D-man[WarLlamas] posts videos on PbNation
D-man[WarLlamas] plays in the APPA beginner division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latsabb View Post
...when professional reviews of the mask start to point it out, it makes me start to wonder...
^^^Pro's use ProFlexs and have for years, so...

I've owned both (and many others). I stand behind my previous post.

I recommend you go to your local proshop/field and try them all on, or have a friend try them on and you look for 'soft spots'. Maybe take few pics to see what you think covers you the best. As I stated before, no mask covers your neck and there's always gonna be 'some spots'.

I prefer ProFlexs because I can customize them with after market colors and OG JT Racing gear. All modern mid/high-end masks have good thermal properties and adequate protection, so it comes down to personal preference, playing style, and/or sponsorships.

Good Luck!

- - Buy my swagg: - - - - - - XSV Axe Pro for sale! - - -
D-man[WarLlamas] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:28 PM #8
Latsabb

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the masks. I would LOVE to go into a pro shop and try out the different masks, but there is only one true paintball shop in my area, and it has a pretty limited selection. The only ones they have are the Empire Avatar, Empire Vent, Proflex 8, Proflex Revolution, Vforce Grill, Vforce Vantage, and some masks by a company called Bullstrike, or something like that. And that is from their net shop. In store they only seem to have I3's, Vforce Vanatge and some sort of Tippmann mask. And those are all boxed. They also have some sort of crappy rental mask, but that tells me nothing.

I miss being able to walk in and try on different things, and try different guns, but it is a different world over here in Norway. Hell, I cannot even get a 4500 HPA fill. 3000 MAX, if you are lucky, and the pro shop is filling from a chain of 5 diving tanks, and I am pretty sure they don't have their own compressor. And it is the only place to get compressed air other than the fire station, and you need your own scuba tank and fill station for that.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:42 PM #9
paintsoldier8
shut up and shoot people

I own both a flex (with the new style rubber ears) and a grill. The grill sits in my basement because I love my flex much more. The flex has a better field of vision, I tend to get more bounces off it and it breaths much better than the grill. I've also had issues with the clips on the strap popping out of place if I tighten down the strap too much.

I think you'll be happy with your flex.