Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-22-2007, 05:30 PM #1
SuMkRaZiEpAiNtBaLlEr

Why won't they call?

Well I have applied at a couple of stores now looking for my first job and they keep saying they will call me-but they never do. So I was wandering what I should do, call them back and ask them whats up, or apply at another job?

My Bike
EPIC PICTURES
SuMkRaZiEpAiNtBaLlEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2007, 05:49 PM #2
splatman720v2 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuMkRaZiEpAiNtBaLlEr View Post
Well I have applied at a couple of stores now looking for my first job and they keep saying they will call me-but they never do. So I was wandering what I should do, call them back and ask them whats up, or apply at another job?
Call them and ask. It worked for me.
splatman720v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:16 PM #3
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Keep applying until someone gives you a callback. Don't call them unless the hiring authority told you too. And if you do call, call only once. It shows determination but any more and it is annoying.

If you call just say these words, "Hi this is [your name]. May I speak with the hiring authority please?" *hold music* "Hello Mr./Mrs./Miss [get their name], this is [your name]. I was just wondering if you had a chance to look over my resume?"

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:49 PM #4
shooterboy
Trigger Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr View Post
Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Keep applying until someone gives you a callback. Don't call them unless the hiring authority told you too. And if you do call, call only once. It shows determination but any more and it is annoying.

If you call just say these words, "Hi this is [your name]. May I speak with the hiring authority please?" *hold music* "Hello Mr./Mrs./Miss [get their name], this is [your name]. I was just wondering if you had a chance to look over my resume?"
Derr is right. ONLY call once. You may think the more you call the better chance you get, but they will not like it.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:52 PM #5
The Executioner
FUKENGRUVEN

has been a member for 10 years
Wait 3 days, then call.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:57 PM #6
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Executioner View Post
Wait 3 days, then call.
This is a job we're talking about here, not a chick.

ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:19 PM #7
FalconMan281

FalconMan281 is a Supporting Member
FalconMan281 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr View Post
This is a job we're talking about here, not a chick.
But he is right homie.
FalconMan281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:35 PM #8
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

Fuh'reel dawg.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:49 AM #9
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

ALWAYS follow up on an interview/application. its your job to show you want the job, not theirs to dig. trust me, call once and they will give you an answer, simple as that
imhungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:37 PM #10
Dead to Fall
Since 2k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhungry View Post
ALWAYS follow up on an interview/application. its your job to show you want the job, not theirs to dig. trust me, call once and they will give you an answer, simple as that
Thats so true. Ever hear the old term "squeaky wheel gets the grease"?

I have been fortunate enough to have started my own business and it has fit me financially for the past 3 years. But now I am going to college and it won't be sufficient. I applied for my first job at your local Starbucks. Heck. I love coffee and they have pretty good benefits. (health, dental, 401k, free 1lb of coffee a week, and 30% off) So anyways I got no call back so I went back a week later asking to speak with the manager. I introduced myself and she had me fill out another app because apparently she had lost mine. I went ahead and opted to fill it out then and she immediately wanted to interview me. I ended up getting the job and I start tomorrow actually. All you got to do man is just show up basically asking whats up. Dressing up a little nicer and being a slight *** kisser by telling them what they want to hear doesn't hurt too much either.

Dead to Fall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:47 AM #11
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

This might sound obvious but it's not; places only hire if they're hiring. Just because you filled out an app and sent it in doesn't mean they need you. They're not going to hire you if they don't need anyone.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:14 PM #12
SoMich_Tom
Retired

SoMich_Tom is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead to Fall View Post
Thats so true. Ever hear the old term "squeaky wheel gets the grease"?
You must have missed the one "squeaky wheel gets replaced."

But yes, this is all good advice. Always follow up with an interview if you haven't heard back within a reasonable time frame (I would say one week is absolutely the longest I would go without calling back).
Old 07-25-2007, 12:02 PM #13
p8ntgurl
Like Tick, Tick

p8ntgurl is a Supporting Member
p8ntgurl donated to help Peyton Trent
p8ntgurl supports Bob Gurnsey
You ALWAYS call when you apply for a job. Even if the people who give you the application say they're not hiring at the time. You call the place, ask to speak to the hiring manager and then let them know you were just calling to make sure they got your application... blah blah blah.

Also, when you're going in to get applications, make sure you look decent and it doesn't hurt to ask to speak to the hiring manager then. When we were hiring at Penney's if girls came in all tarted up on a Saturday, we'd never call them back.

Maybe it's not my weekend
But it's gonna be my year
p8ntgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:13 PM #14
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntgurl View Post
girls came in all tarted up
Pics or shens.

Seriously though, idk what you're talking about.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:07 PM #15
Sweet_Hitch-hiker (Banned)
TEDDY BEAR! WHAT THE EFF!

just call them back and say ur doing a followup on the application u turned in

for the job i have now i actually went to the store because they said theyd call me but didnt,,, the manager wasnt in then but they called me the next day... soo just do some kind of followup
Sweet_Hitch-hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:24 AM #16
GrimXtk
Smiles McGee

GrimXtk owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
GrimXtk owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
GrimXtk is an NCPA player
I feel so dumb lol, I remember people telling me to follow-up after, but somehow I guess I forgot.... and nope, they never called.

Was like a month ago, and I forgot all about it.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:56 PM #17
E-M-P-I-R-E

starting perhaps as soon as to tomorrow (if get references ready) if not the next day i am going to start putting in applications everywhere i possibly can.....do i need to include a resume when applying to places such as Macdonald's?
E-M-P-I-R-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:41 PM #18
Big_Dangerous
Maestro I Dream Of

Annual Supporting Member
Big_Dangerous has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Big_Dangerous has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-M-P-I-R-E View Post
starting perhaps as soon as to tomorrow (if get references ready) if not the next day i am going to start putting in applications everywhere i possibly can.....do i need to include a resume when applying to places such as Macdonald's?
Just go out to a lot of places especially ones that have Help Wanted or Hiring signs, try to avoid going to places that don't have Hiring signs, because that means they probably aren't looking for anyone and your chances to get a call back are slim. Go out to 20+ places if you have and like P8ntgurl said, try to look decent, wear a nice shirt (collared) and pants and comb your hair.
Big_Dangerous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:23 PM #19
Hammar

Do what you can do and don't worry about the rest. That being said apply for 20 more jobs this week and keep doing it. Just focus your effort on applying for jobs and soon enough you will have more offers than you can shake a stick at. Then it's your choice to decide which job you want to take.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:27 PM #20
DJBruce
------------

didnt work for me I did all that stuff and still got no anwser
DJBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:25 PM #21
E-M-P-I-R-E

wow i think i have a chance at papa johns.

I went in today and asked if they were looking to fill any positions besides drivers. They said yes... so they have the job i am interested in. I ask what hours they are looking to fill....They need someone to cover the exact hours i want to/can work. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but i am excited and feeling pretty good about this one.
E-M-P-I-R-E is offline   Reply With Quote