PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 05:26 PM #1
SpYdEr-BaLlEr
Less Than Sign 3

is it legal in paintball?

ok is it legal to have a homemade silencer on your paintball gun??? or would they even work???? i read a little comic in paintballsports magazine about it
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2007, 06:16 PM #2
w3ki11suckers

Annual Supporting Member
you have to get a licence at your town hall to have one because it looks to much like a real gun

Small Gearbag Sale!
Old 07-22-2007, 06:31 PM #3
SpYdEr-BaLlEr
Less Than Sign 3

ok thanks im not gonna get one anytime soon but i was just wandering if they were legal or not. thanks
Old 07-22-2007, 06:39 PM #4
w3ki11suckers

Annual Supporting Member
no problem

Small Gearbag Sale!
Old 07-23-2007, 01:57 AM #5
MedicDVG
Support the Troops!

MedicDVG is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
MedicDVG has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Silencers and suppressors are regulated by the BATF in the USA. They are generally not very effective either.

"Firearm silencers are a controlled device under federal law. The U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) regulates the ownership and manufacture of a number of firearm devices including machine guns and sound suppressors (otherwise known as "silencers.") In the early 1990s, the ATF ran tests and decided that paintball silencers could be used to quiet a true firearm and they notified all manufacturers of paintball silencers that they were in violation of federal law. The reach of big brother was fast and final. All paintball silencers disappeared from the market."

Also:

"To own a paintball gun silencer legally, you must live in one of the states that allow private ownership of sound suppressors. If so, you can purchase a silencer (paintball or firearm,) from a licensed firearms dealer (if such a thing were actually manufactured.) Then, you would have to get the signature of your local law enforcement officer on a form that requires a two-hundred dollar tax stamp. After waiting between two and six months, if you're not a felon, the transfer of your paintball silencer would come through and you could go back to your dealer and pick it up."

Source: http://www.specialopspaintball.com/a..._silencers.asp From 2004

More recently : http://www.beemans.net/silencers_on_airguns.htm from 2007.

The opinion paper from the ATF: http://www.atf.gov/alcohol/info/revr...ling2005-4.pdf
Ebay
AO

www.bigevilonline.com -- a better, happier place to be. Don't mess with La famiglia!

Last edited by MedicDVG : 07-23-2007 at 02:02 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:13 PM #6
Pump Scout
A dream within a dream

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout is playing at Living Legends VII
Pump Scout supports Team VICIOUS
Pump Scout is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Thanks for the info there, MedicDVG. I linked it in the info sticky. It's also 100% correct - paintball silencer = firearm silencer to the BATF.

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Old 08-01-2007, 04:18 PM #7
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

That's an awful lot of work for a silencer. I'mma figure out how to make my own.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:42 PM #8
RiPeM
:dodgy:

I think theres a product that is a legal silencer made specifically for paintball barrels so that its legal. not sure though
Old 08-01-2007, 08:36 PM #9
hunter2
Vir Super Hostem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiPeM View Post
I think theres a product that is a legal silencer made specifically for paintball barrels so that its legal. not sure though
Yes but that has a cap on the end and is made for dry firing.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:04 AM #10
MedicDVG
Support the Troops!

MedicDVG is a Supporting Member
MedicDVG has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Spore View Post
That's an awful lot of work for a silencer. I'mma figure out how to make my own.
The BATF laws I quoted above also cover the MANUFACTURE of any type of 'muffler' for paintball too. So even if you 'make my own' you are still required to do the federal tax stamp, paperwork and background checks -- again assuming it is even legal in your jurisdiction to have one.
Ebay
AO

www.bigevilonline.com -- a better, happier place to be. Don't mess with La famiglia!
Old 09-03-2007, 12:43 PM #11
bnctaj

And if you don't and you're caught expect to go to federal PMITA prison.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:44 PM #12
pbmann1213
TBF

pbmann1213 supports Cereal Killerz 2
Why do u need one???????
Old 11-11-2007, 11:03 PM #13
tdogg77
'baller

If you read the opinion, you will see that a permanently-attached paintball silencer IS legal.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:46 PM #14
Jessecain1

just make one it's not like your going to get caught and if you do i seriously doubt you will be in big trouble

][ Inverted

http://98og.net/
Old 11-13-2007, 10:39 AM #15
Pump Scout
A dream within a dream

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout is playing at Living Legends VII
Pump Scout supports Team VICIOUS
Pump Scout is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
The BATF has done some strange things when it comes to registration/legality of silencers and suppressors. I believe I recall a story of them hacksawing off a fixed suppressor barrel from a paintball gun, and thus deeming it illegal.

They're not worth the effort, or the risk. Plus, back before they were illegal, I had one, and I can tell you first-hand they're a pain in the tail when you break a ball in them!

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Old 11-17-2007, 02:04 AM #16
PMR13954

PMR13954 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
PMR13954 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
in california, it is ILLEGAL to have a silencer on a paintball marker or airsoft. it just makes it look to much like a real firearm.
-White Dye Rotor, Smoke Vlocity Jr w/Virtue chip
-68/4500 Guerilla Air w/Myth reg
DIY PMR Battery Harness quick fix/Bestest Website EVER
USPN
Old 11-23-2007, 11:37 PM #17
GFX260
Jesse Day

GFX260 supports Team VICIOUS
GFX260 is for the Gunfight
Hah! it's a freakin airgun. WTF. I hate the BATF
Old 12-03-2007, 01:34 PM #18
scrounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFX260 View Post
Hah! it's a freakin airgun. WTF. I hate the BATF
Well I hate to break it to you, but that argument is baloney. The REALITY is you can (and most likely will) go to prison if you try it.

I am sure that attitude will serve you well in court, after court, and will your cell mate.

The second part of your statement, that is your opinion.

They can only enforce the rules YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS pass.

Scrounger
Old 12-04-2007, 02:08 PM #19
berserker19

berserker19 is an NCPA player
I think there may be something to what he says. Yes the elected officials make the laws... but the ATF has demonstrated being very "selective enforcement" oriented in the past. They also use really shady tactics when they have decided to make examples of particular people. There was one guy making his own AR-15 receivers, and even though it turned out he was in legal compliance, the ATF still kept arresting him and throwing different charges at him ad nauseum to try and get him to give up (costing him tens of thousands in legal fees). In their defense though, they have some of the most vague, poorly written laws to work with. I get a headache whenever I read my ATF reg book lol. I was under the impression that the PB gun silencer is illegal because technically it could be adapted to be used on a regular weapon. And there is a very clear definition of what a "silencer" is in the law books too.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:47 PM #20
Octagon (Banned)

I know that this is probably long dead, and my posting in it three days after the last person not be the best, but:

There was a thread in the Barrels & Paint forum about how to make a working silencer: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2442725

The biggest things brought up on the legalities of owning a silencer for a paintball marker where:
1) It must be permanently affixed to the marker. If the barrel can be removed from the marker, then it becomes illegal. BUT, see #2 and #3...
2) The BATF did take a marker with a permanently attached barrel, and did hacksaw the barrel off the marker. They did this for a test, and did not try to imply that because it might have been easy to hacksaw off the barrel, therefore it was illegal. But they did find that keeping the silencer on the barrel, and shooting a Ruger Mk. II .22 caliber pistol through it, lowered the sound signature by 8 db.
3) If you want to pay the $200 tax, wait the appropriate amount of time, for a background check, and you live in one of the states that allow you to also own and use a silencer, then you have no problems. But only if you the silencer can be removed from the marker itself. If the barrel is permanently attached to the marker, the body for instance, then it can be legal, without having to spend the $200 on the tax, or going through the background check, as long as you still live within one of the states that allow you to own a silencer.

Truth be told, with the Apex barrel out there, and the looks of the Tippmann Flatline barrels, you could probably make yourself a silencer and as long as you did not tell anyone that you had a silencer, you might not have any problems. And most likely, you won't ever have any problems with the BATF. But that is the chance that you take.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:02 PM #21
younggunz00
You cool man?

younggunz00 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
my friend made one played with it and then the police took it.

Originally Posted by VanHalen: yo stay snappy yung g

"Originally posted by Domc36-1: Because...I like getting high I guess..."

"Originally posted by empire1122v2: My aunt committed suicide. Blew her brains out. ****ing lesbian."
Closed Thread