Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-26-2007, 12:49 PM #64
hp_lovecraft
Resident old timer

has been a member for 10 years
I used to make these when I was a kid.

We called them "Sugar Rockets". Yes, you can get Estes rocket engines at Walmart, but you can make 100 "Sugar Rockets" for the price of 5 Estes Class-C engines.

Plus, you have the ability to make HUGE Sugar rocket engines, which are not availible at hobby stores (Technically because you need a license for the larger rocket engine sizes).
However, not really an issue with the sugar engines since they do not have the same thrust/weight ratio as the Estes solid propellants, so it does not translate exactly the same.

nick
Old 07-27-2007, 12:30 PM #65
BionicSniper
Geek Paintballer

personally im starting to get into hybrid rocket motors. I would skip this and go to hybrid.
My Feedback +1/-0
Old 07-27-2007, 06:41 PM #66
Dude5779597
Freelance Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicSniper View Post
personally im starting to get into hybrid rocket motors. I would skip this and go to hybrid.
I am taking it one step at a time. Also I have 10lbs of potassium nitrate already on the way.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:47 PM #67
lightemup68

your mail guy probably thinks your some kind of a terrorist
Old 07-27-2007, 07:55 PM #68
turnerdye (Banned)
Team Onslaught

^^^^^hahahahahahaha

that would be funny as hell.

5 minutes later your have a swat team at your front door
Old 07-27-2007, 07:56 PM #69
Tilley

Annual Supporting Member
Tilley is an NCPA National Champion
Tilley plays in the APPA beginner division
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerdye View Post
^^^^^hahahahahahaha

that would be funny as hell.

5 minutes later your have a swat team at your front door
and the police to arrest the mail man for opening your mail
Old 07-27-2007, 07:56 PM #70
Kylethekatkiller
smiles and cries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude5779597 View Post
If I were you I would look into the V2 rocket design as inspiration.
Yay for Wernher Van Bran! I did a project on him along with some bald guy that I forgot the name to that made the gyroscope and lox (liquidoxygen) powered rocket. Where did you get the potassium nitrate, I've only found it on the web for aquarium plant ferterlizer. I gotta get myself some so I can make some smoke bombs . The last rocket I bought went into a busy street. I always wanted to make my own rocket...

"Originally posted by Decption-Clay: Once again, a building I've never bothered with because it's generic looking."
"Originally posted by randomdean100: Look on the back of a godamn penny."
Old 07-27-2007, 08:18 PM #71
Nick E as Ungodly

Lol, I know someone who has some stuff for model rocket calculations. not sure exactly what it is, never looked into it. From what I've done, there's very little point in trying to get exact with the calculations since so many things can throw em off. experimenting is the easiest way to learn. I should start doing that again, I have about a lb and a half of kno3 around. Maybe some rockets, some firecrackers..man I need to get back into pyro...
For you all who want information, go to totse.com, search in the BBS for the BB forum, and look at some of the info on there. Don't bother with the text files, about half of them are dangerously flawed, lol.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:03 PM #72
Dude5779597
Freelance Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylethekatkiller View Post
Yay for Wernher Van Bran! I did a project on him along with some bald guy that I forgot the name to that made the gyroscope and lox (liquidoxygen) powered rocket. Where did you get the potassium nitrate, I've only found it on the web for aquarium plant ferterlizer. I gotta get myself some so I can make some smoke bombs . The last rocket I bought went into a busy street. I always wanted to make my own rocket...
I got it on ebay for like 20 shipped for 10 lbs.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:32 PM #73
lucifer_sam
Officious Seein-Eye *****

I used to be interested in this ****. I have this really in-depth model rocketry book if you'd like to buy it.

BTW, do you realize that's enough explosive to warrant a federal indictment?

This is W-O-M-B, The Womb. And if you, my pets, learn to listen, Iíll let you crawl back in.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:46 PM #74
Sly1
Ill Customs .!

good ole anarchist's cook book.. easily accessible from your local library.. lol.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:48 PM #75
Sly1
Ill Customs .!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilley View Post
and the police to arrest the mail man for opening your mail
you sir, are intelligent

Im glad lol..
Old 07-27-2007, 11:07 PM #76
Dude5779597
Freelance Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
I used to be interested in this ****. I have this really in-depth model rocketry book if you'd like to buy it.

BTW, do you realize that's enough explosive to warrant a federal indictment?
Its an oxidizer much like fertilizer or pool chlorine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly1 View Post
good ole anarchist's cook book.. easily accessible from your local library.. lol.
I have it downloaded . I don't like most of the recipes mainly because of the lack of safety measures.

Also I have finalized my designs of my tube launched rocket. I will get pics and specs up soon. I hope to have full plans for a shoulder fired electric rocket launcher. Once I can successfully do that then I can put it underground and finally build my mini ICBM.

Last edited by Dude5779597 : 07-27-2007 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:00 PM #77
Dude5779597
Freelance Mod

Well right now I have not gotten a rocket to leave the ground. They produce a helluvalot of smoke though. I think I need to make the rocket shorter and thiner. Also I have not boiled these together I have just mixed them so that may also be a problem. Any other ideas?
Old 07-30-2007, 04:32 PM #78
Kylethekatkiller
smiles and cries

Shoulder fired rocket eh? Take a spud gun(potato cannon), the one that uses combustion, not air pressure, take a wal-mart rocket, get a block of foam, round it out so its a cylander and snugly fits in your spud gun. Cut the foam into thirds then shave out the insides so the rocket can fit into the foam. put it in the spud gun and drill 2 holes in the combustion chamber and put the ignition wires and hook it up to the rocket. hot glue the holes to be somewhat airtight then fill up the chamber with hairspray and press the forbiddon small little red button I have too big of an imagination

"Originally posted by Decption-Clay: Once again, a building I've never bothered with because it's generic looking."
Old 07-30-2007, 04:35 PM #79
Dude5779597
Freelance Mod

well that wouldnt be an rpg type rocket that would be more so a recoiless rifle concept. I wnt to make an rpg so that the rocket is completely self propelled.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:38 PM #80
Kylethekatkiller
smiles and cries

It still propells itself because there is an engine in it, but the spud gun gives it a nice little push

Old 07-30-2007, 04:43 PM #81
Kylethekatkiller
smiles and cries

Dude, Dude i was looking at the ebay store where you most likley bought it from and it said

"We know that some paintball Enthusiasts use this item to make non-toxic smoke devices by mixing it with sugar. That produce a large white dense cloud to create cover. Also used in making of black powder and things that fire into the sky and go boom. But when you purchase this product you are stating to us that you are 18 years or older. That you will not use this product to produce any explosives or explosive device unless authorized by local state or Federal Goverment. This product may produce hazardous gases when mixed with other chemicals, ignited or heated. Proper respiratory protection is required to handle this material in certain application."

I swear they are reading this thread

Last edited by Kylethekatkiller : 07-30-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:54 PM #82
Dude5779597
Freelance Mod

Oh well this is completely legal because I am only making the well know "sugar rockets" and attempting to improve upon some of the homemade rocket launchers on youtube. I am not worried because as long as everything is legal they cannot touch me.

ps: I have pictures of my fuse up.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:04 PM #83
Kylethekatkiller
smiles and cries

I just thought it was funny, they dont give a **** about what you do with it, as long as you buy it. You should read up on Goddard and Werhner, good stuff

Old 07-30-2007, 05:11 PM #84
Dude5779597
Freelance Mod

I will once I get into liquid fueled rocket.