PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-30-2003, 09:53 PM #1
Farside_Kyle
Killing Machine

has been a member for 10 years
Speed owners, you don't need to get a new tank!

After i got my speed, i realized that i needed a tank with a lower output pressure, but i didn't want to go through the hassle of trading tanks, buying a new one and so on. After doing a little research i found out that the Hose Shop Ltd in IL will lower the output pressure on any preset high pressure tank for only $20~!! I sent them my 68/5k PE and got it back in less than a week, and it works awesome on my speed!! definately check them out instead of going through tons of hassle!! u can call them @ 847 293 0972. oh, just a little FYI, if you tank needs hydro, they can do that for $20 as well!

Peace all!
Old 04-30-2003, 09:56 PM #2
IanR
Shoot.Kill.Win.

Or......you could change the spring stack in the Speeds mini-reg so it handles the higher pressures saving yourself 20$...

Slowly getting back into paintball...
IanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 10:47 PM #3
ft57

Annual Supporting Member
ft57 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by IanR
Or......you could change the spring stack in the Speeds mini-reg so it handles the higher pressures saving yourself 20$...

I'm getting a SPEED... how do you change the spring stack? What parts do I need?
ft57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 11:15 PM #4
2advanced

2advanced is a Supporting Member
Pure Energy also makes a LP drop-in kit for their newer style regs (the Radioactive logo) that lowers their output from 850-900 to 550-600psi. Plus then you could simply swap out the LP kit if you wish to return to HP.
2advanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 11:46 PM #5
TheVince
Team Storm

Yeah guys.. the speed wil lwork with a 800psi out tank.. the mini reg will regulate it down to the required what 180 psi? so no big deal..
Field Captain
North Bay, Ontario

My girl rocks in a leopard skin thong
TheVince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 11:52 PM #6
2advanced

Quote:
Originally posted by B-MoNeyZ
u can have a tank with up to 800psi on the speed incase u guys didnt know
Well ya so that eliminates PE.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:54 PM #7
ft57

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by 2advanced
Pure Energy also makes a LP drop-in kit for their newer style regs (the Radioactive logo) that lowers their output from 850-900 to 550-600psi. Plus then you could simply swap out the LP kit if you wish to return to HP.
!!!! Can I buy you lunch??? That news just saved my day! I need to alternate between 68ci and 91ci Pure Energy tanks (w/ new radioactive logos), depending on whether it's 5, 7, 10man or x-ball practice/tourney! I don't want to just give up the convenience of switching between screw-in tanks. I was ready to buy a new pair of tank regs, just to make the most out of the Speed.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:18 AM #8
Farside_Kyle
Killing Machine

the post was also aimed towards those people "like myself" who would ratehr let someone professionally change the output on their tanks, rather than messing something up. Plus, if anything does go wrong after they install it, its covered by warrenty. It was just some useful info for those of us that are not so into taking apart high pressure air systems. (i would blow myself up)
Old 05-01-2003, 04:12 PM #9
CpCnCir3

Quote:
Originally posted by TheVince
Yeah guys.. the speed wil lwork with a 800psi out tank.. the mini reg will regulate it down to the required what 180 psi? so no big deal..
definitely not true. you CAN run the speed on on 800psi(but not higher) and with the minireg turned all the way down you will be shooting like 280 and the output of the minireg will be like 300 or a lil more. the speeds minireg's output range is directly proportional to the input of the tank. so if u are wanting to make your speed LP like its advertised you probably wont be able to do that unless your tank is putting less than 600psi into the minireg. the manual actually suggests 400psi so as u guys can see even 600 is more than its supposed to have. your best bet is to do what i did which was sell my crossfire 68/4500psi HP output for 170 and buy a new LP output one for 200. you get a brand spankin new tank for that 30 bucks you are gonna pay for that tank upgrade. plus you can actually feed your speed the pressure its supposed to have.
Old 05-01-2003, 04:43 PM #10
ft57

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Pure Energy also makes a LP drop-in kit...
And where can I get one of those? I check PMI's site, but it's not there.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:05 AM #11
akaypoo

does anyone know what the output on the 68 4500 crossfire is it is dated 5 02 if that means anything lol
akaypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 12:11 AM #12
Infection5
Hitman for Hire

Infection5 is a Supporting Member
A speed WILL work with fixed regs to a max output of 900 psi this will give a velocity of 275 FPS, but it wont be as effective as a lp tank. It is preferable to use a low pressure fixed reg as this will allow the user to use all the gas in his tank for max efficiency this is why its recommend a low pressure regulator for efficiency and consistency example: once the fixed reg falls below it set output the velocity can be affected

fixed reg at 500 psi will have no affect on velocity until the tank is below 500 psi
fixed reg at 850 psi will have no affect on velocity until the tank is below 850 psi. So you dont have to have a lp reg, but it will last longer.

-Armys Win Battles-
-Navys Win Wars-

www.theaggressivegeneration.com
Infection5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 02:26 AM #13
FooSheezee
Mack Daddy Soprano

you should just be able to ship your tank back to your original manufacturer. In anticipation of getting a speed, i called Centerflag and they said i could send in my tank and they would lower it to whatever i wanted. If i get one, i definatly will be shipping my 420 back.
nmpb
Feed Back
FooSheezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 08:04 PM #14
ft57

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Pure Energy also makes a LP drop-in kit for their newer style regs (the Radioactive logo) that lowers their output from 850-900 to 550-600psi.
Good News! for you PMI Pure Energy tank owners (the ones with the newer "radioactive sticker jewel logo"). I just found out that you can lower the output pressure by reversing the bottom spacer in the spring stack.

disclaimer: do not do any type of modification unless you are a certified air tech. any modification you do to your tank may or may not void your warranty.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:19 PM #15
JTp8ntballer12
im the gingerbread man

ok i have a PE ank w/the lil nuke sticker, what exactly do i do to use it on a speed? or will it work n e ways? or if i go a speed should i just get some a.i.r?

Last edited by JTp8ntballer12 : 05-05-2003 at 11:22 PM.
JTp8ntballer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 02:56 PM #16
ft57

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by JTp8ntballer12
ok i have a PE ank w/the lil nuke sticker, what exactly do i do to use it on a speed? or will it work n e ways? or if i go a speed should i just get some a.i.r?

Ok, so far so good! I took out the bottom shim/spacer and flipped it upside down and put it back in. The output pressure went from 1,000psi (tank had 4,000 psi in it) down to 800 psi (also at 4,000 psi fill). I then drained the tank to 1,500psi and the output pressure read 750psi.

One other thing to note... Stinky has the same exact tank I do, but his un-modidfied tank has an output of 1,100 psi (the tank had 4,000psi in it).

I'm going to test the output pressure with other gauges to see if I get the same reading. If it's still that high, I might just remove the bottom shim and see how low it'll go.

2advanced,
I'd say gofer it!

Disclaimer: Don't try this at home. Get a qualified air tech to do this type of work. Modifying your reg may void your warranty. Always wear safety goggles when handling high pressure tanks. Don't do any type of modification to your tank. Just go buy a new one, LP tanks are only $250 or so at pbgear.com!
Old 05-06-2003, 06:17 PM #17
JTp8ntballer12
im the gingerbread man

Quote:
Originally posted by ft57

2advanced
JTp8ntballer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 08:36 PM #18
ft57

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Pure Energy... newer style regs (the Radioactive logo) that lowers their output from 850-900 to 550-600psi.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:03 PM #19
2advanced

wow... over 1,000psi output? Why would a major air system manufacturer like PE make an air system with an output so high?

I clocked mine at 920psi and was shocked that it was that high. I resolved the output pressure issue (temporarily) by running it via a centerflag doolie but it's not the best setup.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:06 PM #20
lordjavelox

lordjavelox is a Supporting Member
Talk about a good find!

When i get my speed, i'll sure refer to this one,

Andrew

Did a deal of yours go sour?
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=346137
lordjavelox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 09:17 PM #21
ft57

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
wow... over 1,000psi output? Why would a major air system manufacturer like PE make an air system with an output so high?

I clocked mine at 920psi and was shocked that it was that high. I resolved the output pressure issue (temporarily) by running it via a centerflag doolie but it's not the best setup.

The one thing I've learned about gauges is that unless you get the reading from one of those huge oil based gauages... don't expect an accurate reading from these commonly found gauges at local pb stores. That's why I'm very skeptical of the results.
My goal is to get it around 600 psi.

I've also found out that you can do this same mod to almost any tank. ACI sells a LP spring, but I also heard that you can flip something in there to lower the pressure.