Originally Posted by fishy#2 View Post
Oxygen isn't flammable.
wow ... your wrong, yes oxygen is flammable
ghillemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2007, 07:10 PM #23
Robman8

you should see this as a god send, let all those folks use oxygen, eventually blow themselves up, which in turn takes one more idiot from the gene pool
Robman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:15 PM #24
xxxfrankensteinxxx
**** smart parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
It's pointless to argue about it. You all know Oxygen burns, if it didn't we couldn't have fire.

Oxygen isn't flammable the way gases like hydrogen are, you wouldn't have to clean the bottle.

I don't think it's the greatest idea, but if you could get the fitting and some specs on the tank it might be worth a shot.
well its kinda hard to turn down free air tanks

thanks everyone

oh and if its not flamiable then why have old people had there tanks explode when they were smoking a cig and breathing the oxygen in?

DEATH TO SMARTPARTS FAN #1
predator impulse
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...4#post50154564

Last edited by xxxfrankensteinxxx : 07-12-2007 at 07:18 PM.
xxxfrankensteinxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:16 PM #25
fishy#2
I AM THE LIZARD QUEEN!

fishy#2 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghillemonster View Post
wow ... your wrong, yes oxygen is flammable
No, it's not.
fishy#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:17 PM #26
Heebs7
Bye Bye 2k2 account :(

Heebs7 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Alright I went and did some more research.

What all the fools who are saying O2 is not flammable are arguing semantics and word definitions. Because O2 does not react with O2 it is not considered flammable.

However it is an incredible oxidizer and is obviously a key component in any combustion reaction. Bottom line you are an idiot to think that it wont cause an explosion if you dont handle it with care and keep it away from flame which I am pretty sure all of us stating that O2 is "flammable" are arguing.
Heebs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:25 PM #27
fishy#2
I AM THE LIZARD QUEEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebs7 View Post
Alright I went and did some more research.

What all the fools who are saying O2 is not flammable are arguing semantics and word definitions. Because O2 does not react with O2 it is not considered flammable.

However it is an incredible oxidizer and is obviously a key component in any combustion reaction. Bottom line you are an idiot to think that it wont cause an explosion if you dont handle it with care and keep it away from flame which I am pretty sure all of us stating that O2 is "flammable" are arguing.
I wasn't argueing that it does not create a hotter more intense flame. I already stated that earlier in the thread.

I am saying that Oxygen on its own will NOT burn, it will only cause a fuel to burn hotter and faster.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:32 PM #28
Box
Wroooaaarrrr!

Annual Supporting Member
Box is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
I wasn't argueing that it does not create a hotter more intense flame. I already stated that earlier in the thread.

I am saying that Oxygen on its own will NOT burn, it will only cause a fuel to burn hotter and faster.
What will burn with out oxygen present?
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:35 PM #29
fishy#2
I AM THE LIZARD QUEEN!

Quote:
What will burn with out oxygen present?
Nothing, it is a crucial part of combustion.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:36 PM #30
nenkitsune

liquid oxygen + steelwool+microwave= MASSIVE explosion. (i watch brainiac to much)

Spyder E-99 Avant (out of commission/spimmifying)
Kingman EM-1: Kapp Bushmaster V/A, Bumper mod, Modded stock bolt, Tboarded (ver a), WGP Ergo reg

My Feedback
nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:40 PM #31
fishy#2
I AM THE LIZARD QUEEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenkitsune View Post
liquid oxygen + steelwool+microwave= MASSIVE explosion. (i watch brainiac to much)
When oxy cutting steels, it is possible to turn off the acetylene
(fuel) on the torch, and the steel will still react with the oxygen, and continue to burn in the same fashion.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:45 PM #32
Box
Wroooaaarrrr!

Annual Supporting Member
Box is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
Nothing, it is a crucial part of combustion.
Exactly.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:49 PM #33
fishy#2
I AM THE LIZARD QUEEN!

Quote:
Exactly.
Okay?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:52 PM #34
nenkitsune

Quote:
(fuel) on the torch, and the steel will still react with the oxygen, and continue to burn in the same fashion.
is that because the heat of the steel is causing the oxygen to burn?

Kingman EM-1: Kapp Bushmaster V/A, Bumper mod, Modded stock bolt, Tboarded (ver a), WGP Ergo reg

My Feedback
Old 07-12-2007, 07:52 PM #35
Dead_Body

Fire or burning is a process of rapid oxidation. Yes oxygen is required. But the oxygen is only 1/2 of the equation. You still need a fuel. Oxygen on it's own will not burn. It has nothing at all to react with.

All you folks that think oxygen on it's own burns by ITSELF should try it on an oxy-acetlyene torch. Turn on the oxygen line only and make sparks at the nozzle. The sparks will be a lot brighter than in normal air but the oxygen on it's own will not form a flame.

Now turn off the oxygen and turn on the acetylene and put the sparker to the tip. Voila, we have fire. The acetylene comes out the nozzle, mixes with the oxygen in the air and burns with a dirty yellow flame and lots of soot because the fuel to air is too rich and not all the gas burns completely so you get a lot of carbon hairs floating around.

But crack on the oxygen while the acetylene is burning and it's a whole other matter. The extra oxygen provides a source of oxider and you get a nice hot and small flame.

The key here is that the oxygen is NOT the fuel. It is the oxidizer and you need a fuel to mix it with or there ain't no joy. This is basic science.

The Apollo training accident many years ago only happened because of a component that overheated and burst into flame. In normal air it would have been a very small fire of little consequence. But since it happened in a 100% oxygen atmosphere inside the capsule the result was an extremely hot and fast burning flash fire that resulted in the tragic outcome. But again the oxygen itself did not burn. But it aided the burning of the part that failed and overheated.

Some of you obviously slept through that part of your science classes.

Getting back to the tanks....

Check the necks for the max pressure ratings and check the hydro dates. All this will be stamped into the neck metal. The pressure rating should be pretty obvious. The hydro date will be something like 11$01. The 11 being the month, the $ being a symbol for the hydro test company (the symbols are all registered) and the 01 being the year. If the month and year is more than 5 years old then you need to hydro the bottle.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:55 PM #36
Dead_Body

Quote:
That's right. BUt it's because the steel itself has been preheated first and at that temperature it will continue to burn when the oxygen supply is pure enough and fed to it. When you do that you'll also see that the molten steel is still sparking off as long as you keep the oxygen flowing.

But if you try the same thing on unheated steel the oxygen won't have any effect at all. That's because the steel isn't hot enough to burn yet. Same if you shoot the oxygen at some wood. It's not hot enough to burn even with the pure oxygen. But get the wood lit first and then feed it the oxygen and it'll burn like blazes since it will oxidize faster in the presence of the higher oxygen concentration.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:03 PM #37
239baller
robinhood was a thief

im shocked no one has brought up the topic of the first atomic bomb test, they thought they were going to BURN all the oxygen out of the atmosphear (sp?). but thank god they did not but anyway i thought that was shocking.

"Originally posted by Nerobellum: it sounded like an angry chainsaw covered in rust and syphilis. "
239baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:19 PM #38
xXjoelXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Body View Post
Fire or burning is a process of rapid oxidation. Yes oxygen is required. But the oxygen is only 1/2 of the equation. You still need a fuel. Oxygen on it's own will not burn. It has nothing at all to react with.

All you folks that think oxygen on it's own burns by ITSELF should try it on an oxy-acetlyene torch. Turn on the oxygen line only and make sparks at the nozzle. The sparks will be a lot brighter than in normal air but the oxygen on it's own will not form a flame.

Now turn off the oxygen and turn on the acetylene and put the sparker to the tip. Voila, we have fire. The acetylene comes out the nozzle, mixes with the oxygen in the air and burns with a dirty yellow flame and lots of soot because the fuel to air is too rich and not all the gas burns completely so you get a lot of carbon hairs floating around.

But crack on the oxygen while the acetylene is burning and it's a whole other matter. The extra oxygen provides a source of oxider and you get a nice hot and small flame.

The key here is that the oxygen is NOT the fuel. It is the oxidizer and you need a fuel to mix it with or there ain't no joy. This is basic science.
thanks for helping to explain oxygen is not flammable
xXjoelXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:20 PM #39
xxxfrankensteinxxx
**** smart parts

just wondering could i take some plumbing fixture 10 feet of piping so tank is away and a on off vavle and make it into a on off flamethrower with remaining oxy if i had a pilot light?

DEATH TO SMARTPARTS FAN #1
predator impulse
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...4#post50154564
xxxfrankensteinxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:21 PM #40
xXjoelXx

if you had a constant fuel source as well
xXjoelXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:23 PM #41
nenkitsune

why don't you turn a Super Soaker into a flamethrower. it's actually farily easy. you replace the plastic nozzle with a metal one, then you strap on a pilot light to it (propane torch shoudl work) pump it up, and fire.

My Feedback
Old 07-12-2007, 08:41 PM #42
muchachopb
Most Custom Title Ever

muchachopb plays in the APPA beginner division
muchachopb has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
muchachopb has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 117 View Post
Here is also why i have a hard time with comprehending it

Topic is on Oxygen

"Combustion hazard
Highly concentrated sources of oxygen promote rapid combustion and therefore are fire and explosion hazards in the presence of fuels. Oxygen itself is not the fuel, but as a reactant, concentrated oxygen may allow combustion to proceed dangerously rapidly. The fire that killed the Apollo 1 crew on a test launchpad spread so rapidly because the capsule was pressurized with pure oxygen as would be usual in an actual flight, but to maintain positive pressure in the capsule, this was at slightly more than atmospheric pressure instead of the ⅓ normal pressure that would be used in flight. (See partial pressure.)

Hazards also apply to compounds of oxygen with a high oxidative potential, such as high concentration peroxides, chlorates, perchlorates, and dichromates; they also can often cause chemical burns."

citeing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen#Combustion_hazard
not making an argument here, but wikipedia is far from a liable source. i've posted stuff on there that i know for a fact is complete bull****
muchachopb is offline   Reply With Quote