PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-12-2007, 02:14 PM #1
xxxfrankensteinxxx
**** smart parts

oxygen tanks ideas

my friend has a couple of oxygen tanks that her grandpa used but left them at her house and doesnt need them, so can i fill them with compressed air if i safely drain them and i was even thinking of washing them out since its flamiable? i was planning on using them to fill paintball tanks since the nearest feild is half hour away and the local scuba shop guy is retarded and said it would take 3 weeks to fill my old 88 ci tank halfway full and wouldnt fill it

DEATH TO SMARTPARTS FAN #1
predator impulse
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...4#post50154564
xxxfrankensteinxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2007, 04:23 PM #2
fishy#2
I AM THE LIZARD QUEEN!

fishy#2 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Oxygen isn't flammable.

If the tanks are able to hold 3000 or 4500 psi and you can put the proper filling components on, I would say why not?
fishy#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:28 PM #3
DEJ_RIDDLE
GET MOWED

Wrong ^^^

Pure oxygen is very flammable!! Check out this link

http://www.angelo.edu/faculty/kboudr...rning_iron.htm

MY FEEDBACK
DEJ_RIDDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:42 PM #4
Seekey
Dave

Seekey plays in the PSP
Seekey plays in the APPA D3 division
Seekey supports Empire
i dont think that oxygen is flamable I think its just it feeds any fire that would start around it and makes that fire burn quicker....idk i dont think flamable is the right term....however is it dangerous.

regardless if they can hold 4500psi then get it hydro tested....i wouldnt fill anything that hasnt been inspected by a professional.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:58 PM #5
sushifish11

if you spray pure oxygen on an oily rag...you dont even need a lighter it will just combust
sushifish11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:14 PM #6
trashcat (Banned)

Oxygen is very very very very flammable
trashcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:19 PM #7
fishy#2
I AM THE LIZARD QUEEN!

Prove it.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:24 PM #8
xXjoelXx

oxygen itself isnt flammable, it just makes things burn much more rapidly, take for example the V2 rocket, the burning component was ethanol and liquid oxygen was released into the burning ethanol to make it burn faster providing more pressure and more thrust
xXjoelXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:27 PM #9
fishy#2
I AM THE LIZARD QUEEN!

Exactly. That is why oxygen is added to fuels like acetylene, it helps it burn hotter, allowing the flame to be used to "cut" steels.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:44 PM #10
Spyderman06
☆☆☆

Wow. You guys are all geniuses. There are only two requirements for combustion- Oxygen and an ignition source. Yes, adding pure diatomic Oxygen into things such as Acetylene torches and the V2 rocket does help accelerate the combustion, but the fact that you are missing is that flame is the result of the combustion of atmospheric Oxygen. Don't believe me? Why do you think that if you light a candle in a jar, and then seal off the jar, the fire will go out? Because combustion is the reaction of Organic material that produces only Water (H20) and Carbon Dioxide (CO2). Therefore, since you have Oxygen as a product, it must also be a reactant. For example, for the combustion of Octane (The fuel that runs any gasoline powered car) the balanced reaction is as follows:
1 C8H18 + 25 O2= 8 CO2 + 9 H2O

As you can see, diatomic oxygen is indeed a reactant and is still present in the product side of the reaction, bonded to the Hydrogen to form water.

Anyways, to answer the OP' s question- you will be fine filling the oxygen tanks, so long as you do not exceed the pressure ratings of the tank. Don't know the rating? Do not mess with it. And washing the tanks will not do anything. If you are worried about residual oxygen, the best thing you can do is to just let it air out for a day or two with the valve assembly off. However, to be able to fill an air tank off of it, you will need a fill station set up.

Bob Long Certified MARQ Tech

Last edited by Spyderman06 : 07-12-2007 at 05:47 PM.
Spyderman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:58 PM #11
when &amp; where i please

how long have you been makeing homemade bombs? I have for 5-6 years, i have yet to find oxygen to be flammable, it feeds fire causeing it to seem to grow, but it just burns out faster. The only bomb i have been able to make out of air is with a water bottle and keyboard duster (the can).

please explane this further
Old 07-12-2007, 06:02 PM #12
leed

leed is a Moderator
Most Oxygen tanks will not exceed 2000-2500 PSI. They are also relatively small. However the moment you empty it, you won't need to clean it or anything, and it should be okay to use straight up. The only thing is, seeing if the fill place has a fitting to fill it.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:04 PM #13
Heebs7
Bye Bye 2k2 account :(

Heebs7 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy#2 View Post
Oxygen isn't flammable.

If the tanks are able to hold 3000 or 4500 psi and you can put the proper filling components on, I would say why not?
You are a giant idiot. Have you even been to college yet?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jxp_wpDufdg

EDIT:
Using a torch of OXYGEN to burn through SOLID ROCK
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yLBUJrfbW2Y

Lighting a BBQ with liquid O2
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sab2Ltm1W...elated&search=

Oxygen safety vid
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HAAbMvHbrJA

If youre dumb enough to think that O2 isnt flammable please dont ever handle O2 in your life.

Last edited by Heebs7 : 07-12-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Heebs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:07 PM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebs7 View Post

this proves my statment, the oxygen fed the fire at a growing rate, the fire in turn was able to burn much faster, but in the end, it just burns out faster.

I am still waiting for proper evidence
Old 07-12-2007, 06:09 PM #15
Spyderman06
☆☆☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by 117 View Post
how long have you been makeing homemade bombs? I have for 5-6 years, i have yet to find oxygen to be flammable, it feeds fire causeing it to seem to grow, but it just burns out faster. The only bomb i have been able to make out of air is with a water bottle and keyboard duster (the can).

please explane this further
Homemade bombs were never really my thing, but seeing as I am three quarters of the way through a Chemical Engineering Degree, I do believe I know what I am talking about, or at least most of the time. If you have ever seen a fire, you have seen oxygen burn, I promise. Yes it will feed a fire, because as you add oxygen, the fire will grow, until the Oxygen is no longer the limiting reagent in the reaction, at which point adding more Oxygen will do nothing to the size of the flame. What are you confused about?

Bob Long Certified MARQ Tech

Spyderman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:12 PM #16
fishy#2
I AM THE LIZARD QUEEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebs7 View Post

EDIT:
Using a torch of OXYGEN to burn through SOLID ROCK
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yLBUJrfbW2Y

Oxygen safety vid
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HAAbMvHbrJA
Yes, I just completed an apprenticeship program for general machining. It had a course in metallurgy, which includes alot of chemistry. Not to mention having been working in the trades for several years, which includes welding shops, who use oxygen on a daily basis.

Last edited by fishy#2 : 07-12-2007 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:18 PM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman06 View Post
Homemade bombs were never really my thing, but seeing as I am three quarters of the way through a Chemical Engineering Degree, I do believe I know what I am talking about, or at least most of the time. If you have ever seen a fire, you have seen oxygen burn, I promise. Yes it will feed a fire, because as you add oxygen, the fire will grow, until the Oxygen is no longer the limiting reagent in the reaction, at which point adding more Oxygen will do nothing to the size of the flame. What are you confused about?
In order to prove your theory, you would need to take a hose, connect it to a compressed tank of air, have a flint go off in front of the hose, if it combust, you are right, if it doesn't, then my idea is correct.
I am confused because in gas wielding, C2H2 (aka= Acetylene) provides the combuston, yes, it does mean that the mixtures with air containing between 3% and 82% acetylene are explosive on ignition. But, Oxygen itself is just a source of fuel for fire. So, please correct me if i am wrong. If it furthers my knowledge, then i don't mind being proved wrong.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:23 PM #18

Here is also why i have a hard time with comprehending it

Topic is on Oxygen

"Combustion hazard
Highly concentrated sources of oxygen promote rapid combustion and therefore are fire and explosion hazards in the presence of fuels. Oxygen itself is not the fuel, but as a reactant, concentrated oxygen may allow combustion to proceed dangerously rapidly. The fire that killed the Apollo 1 crew on a test launchpad spread so rapidly because the capsule was pressurized with pure oxygen as would be usual in an actual flight, but to maintain positive pressure in the capsule, this was at slightly more than atmospheric pressure instead of the ⅓ normal pressure that would be used in flight. (See partial pressure.)

Hazards also apply to compounds of oxygen with a high oxidative potential, such as high concentration peroxides, chlorates, perchlorates, and dichromates; they also can often cause chemical burns."

citeing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen#Combustion_hazard
Old 07-12-2007, 06:39 PM #19
capt.Perfect.Timing
lol

I'm not sure on oxygen, buy you may be thinking of hydrogen. Adding Hydrogen directly to air will result in fire without an ignition source. Pure O2 is definitely at least an accelerant.. but i cant remember from my high school chem class if it directly reacts with air which is the unsure mixture of CO2, O2, N2 and other oxides.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:47 PM #20
Adidas4275

this is getting slightly off topic now... but i am not sure if the two sides in this are actually arguing over the same thing.

O2 with no other fuel soruce will not burn.

Fire needs O2 yes but the fuel source is not O2

that is why we burn things like coal or oil which are all most all carbon..... C is the fuel and O is the uhhhhh Oxidizer...

I know we all have degrees that say we should know what we are talking about but quite frankly who cares...

I know plenty of people who graduated with higher and lower GPAs than I did that know absolutely nothing.

also it is easy to forget things or be confused or have a professor that doesnt know what they are talking about..

I have B.S in biochemistry and teach HS biology and chemisty.

that doesnt make me an expert but in all the videos O2 was poured or exposed to a fuel source and it increase the rate of the exothermic reaction...

O2 w/o a fuel source will not burn..

sure if you light a match and put o2 on it it will burn the match head and stick much faster but the O2 itself doesnt burn....

JMO, i dont know everything but i am fairly sure about this one...
Adidas4275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:02 PM #21
Box
Wroooaaarrrr!

Annual Supporting Member
Box is playing at Living Legends VII
It's pointless to argue about it. You all know Oxygen burns, if it didn't we couldn't have fire.

Oxygen isn't flammable the way gases like hydrogen are, you wouldn't have to clean the bottle.

I don't think it's the greatest idea, but if you could get the fitting and some specs on the tank it might be worth a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxygen, 9.3-Combustion Hazard. Wikipedia
Combustion hazard

Highly concentrated sources of oxygen promote rapid combustion and therefore are fire and explosion hazards in the presence of fuels. Oxygen itself is not the fuel, but as a reactant, concentrated oxygen may allow combustion to proceed dangerously rapidly. The fire that killed the Apollo 1 crew on a test launchpad spread so rapidly because the capsule was pressurized with pure oxygen as would be usual in an actual flight, but to maintain positive pressure in the capsule, this was at slightly more than atmospheric pressure instead of the ⅓ normal pressure that would be used in flight. (See partial pressure.)

Hazards also apply to compounds of oxygen with a high oxidative potential, such as high concentration peroxides, chlorates, perchlorates, and dichromates; they also can often cause chemical burns.

Last edited by Box : 07-12-2007 at 07:11 PM.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote