Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-28-2007, 01:48 AM #85
Zentish
Old-schooler

It was an awesome event, I had a great time as did my whole contingent (11 of us in my campground). We brought a French exchange student who took it as her personal duty to claim the French flag objective, which she did on Sunday morning!

Saturday things did get a bit out of hand with some hot headed stupidity, but the folks running the event did the exact right thing, stopping play and letting people cool off, explaining to everyone what had happened and why, then restarting. Safety first!

I played until 3am the first day when my marker chopped. Myself and 2 buddies held the box on the hill as the sole no-band players for three hours against all comers (which we started to suspect was the same two guys coming at us again and again from a different angle each time).

A tactic taken from my DOD machine gunner experiences was pretty funny: When you've got the drop on a line of 6 players lined up on the riverbank preparing to rush across (I was in a tree looking down at them), start shooting at the last one in line and walk your paint stream up the line to the lead player. That way none of them get away!

I'd say it was well run, issues and bumps were dealt with quickly and fairly. I did notice that not all the ref's applied the rules in the same way, but I talked it over with the owner and things got straightened out. The organizers were respectful of the players and firm with the rules. I'm happy to hear about the points being close, I couldn't get my sorry butt out of my bag on Sunday morning and my buddy who did, said that the bands just ran over us Sunday morning.

I personally didn't mind the late night partying (earplugs), but would worry if I'd brought younger kids with all that going on. They should consider separate areas for party and family campers if possible.

I hope we can get more people out next year, but I know I'll be there!
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2007, 06:04 PM #86
jid2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zentish View Post
I couldn't get my sorry butt out of my bag on Sunday morning and my buddy who did, said that the bands just ran over us Sunday morning.
I take credit for that. Delta What?

For me it's cool to see how some things have changed since I played in the 1st KC's 24 hr game when I was about 14 (1992 ish). By the time I was 17, I wasn't really playing paintball anymore and didn't pick it up again until this past year. My first 24 hr game was played with an F1 Illustrator (the gun which the Spyder and such are based on). It was the greatest thing at the time and cost $450, I went through a case of paint which cost $120 and broke/chopped so many balls I couldn't keep track. Now I play with a $200 ION with a few little upgrades, I went through 3 cases of paint at $55 each and broke ZERO balls, not even a barrel break. Technology has gone way up, and price has come way down.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:25 PM #87
Blazestorm2
I like me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jid2 View Post
I take credit for that. Delta What?
LOL We weren't even playing till 11:00 Sunday... by that time the bands were hiding in their base again...

Blocking off part of the river was lame... Last 24hr game there were 3-4 battles going on with little teams of people sneaking around the field...

This 24hr game... it was one fight in one spot... the entire time...
Old 08-29-2007, 10:33 AM #88
robnix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazestorm2 View Post
LOL We weren't even playing till 11:00 Sunday... by that time the bands were hiding in their base again...

Blocking off part of the river was lame... Last 24hr game there were 3-4 battles going on with little teams of people sneaking around the field...

This 24hr game... it was one fight in one spot... the entire time...
It was a 24 hour firefight. It was fun for a little while, but attitudes got hot the first day and things got a bit out of hand. Good job on just stopping the action for a bit to cool things down and reorganize.

Night play was fantastic.

Camping wasn't that great, I agree with zentish, that the language and noise weren't that family friendly. Hopefully the bridges will be fixed so the full 80 acres are available, and we can have a 24 hour game on the full field next year. There's so much variety of terrain there that it's a shame we couldn't use it.