PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-04-2007, 11:17 AM #22
Zepplin1124
I am a noob

I do believe in an afterlife that is somewhere inbetween the clearcut Heaven/Hell of Christians and the sectioned Heaven/Hell of Dante's Divine Comedy.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2007, 11:47 AM #23
scumquat1
My friends call me Scum.

has been a member for 10 years
I've never seen convincing evidence that death is anything other than the absolute end of existence for the individual. When you die, it's all over.

The end.

"Racism is a doctrine of, by and for brutes. It is a barnyard or stock-farm version of collectivism, appropriate to a mentality that differentiates between various breeds of animals, but not between animals and men." - Ayn Rand.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:17 PM #24
Believer
There is no God but God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthiness View Post
Strangely enough, you both believe the other one is going to hell. bahahah
I dont believe shes going to hell, its up to God to decide I could just as well be going to hell and she could just as well be going to heaven

Among the People of the Book ( jews and Christains) are some who believe in God and in what has been sent down to you and what was sent down to them, and who are humble before God. They do not sell God's Signs for a paltry price. Such people will have their reward with their Lord. And God is swift at reckoning. (Qur'an, 3:199)

peace,

[ Quran 55:60 ]

MUSLIM BALLERS CLUB
Lacrosse Equipment
Blue 06 Shocker Must Be Gone
Old 07-04-2007, 12:23 PM #25
MtL1504 (Banned)
=^_^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr View Post
My belief is that when I die, the electrical signals causing my mind to function will disappear like a light when you flip the switch. I will be immortalized through the collective memories of humanity, at least until I am forgotten. My matter will be broken down and recycled into something else in the universe. In that aspect I may be reincarnated as a tree or a slug or maybe just dirt.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:36 PM #26
Hop_frog-V2.1
315 Cornfield Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumquat1 View Post
I've never seen convincing evidence that death is anything other than the absolute end of existence for the individual. When you die, it's all over.

The end.

Couldn't have said it any better. The only thing that people really have is hope for something better. Many people spend there entire lives trying to please a god so they can gain entrance where thing's are promised to be better. People need to do what gives them pleasure while you are able to have it, not abstain to please someone else.

/endrant.

I hate religion.

Ever drink Bailey's out of a shoe?
Old 07-04-2007, 02:04 PM #27
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
Good question. I don't know the answer. But I do believe there will be a scientific explanation for an "afterlife" in the future.
This logic is called 'inductive reasoning'. You are starting with a conclusion and then looking for scientific explanations to support it. Be careful, this is the same logic that Creationists use to defend Biblical references for the origins of the universe.

Start with a hypothesis and look for tests that could support or disprove your claim. Keep an open mind and be prepared to be wrong. Make sure you have a control case too.

The idea that there is some sort of neural synaptic surge before death seems like a pretty good place to start. There should be evidence of this somewhere.

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Old 07-04-2007, 02:28 PM #28
DYE baller FOR life

Quote:
I believe the last surge of energy across our neural synapses causes a bend in the 4th dimension, which in turn causes an alternate reality relative to ours. I believe in an explanation based on string theory and the idea of alternate dimensions. I believe that this alternate reality is what "heaven" is. Whatever our idea of heaven is at the time of death affects the creation and/or modification of the reality. In short, I believe in an afterlife and I believe there is a scientific explanation for it.
then how do you explain when people die and are revived?
i've met some that say they just saw darkness.
and others say that they've seen heaven.

OP-
i believe in the traditional Christian teachings of the afterlife.

death
judgment
heaven/hell
eternaly

If you pay for your own paintball stuff put this in your sig
95% of all ion owners think their 300 dollar "investment" is better than your 1400 dollar "p.o.s" if you want to bonus ball every ion owner that thinks this put this in your sig
a series of quotes by warbeak2099:"...You acted like a total immature jerk..." "...you were too immature to behave intelligently..." "Neener neener I win."
Old 07-04-2007, 04:11 PM #29
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYE baller FOR life View Post
then how do you explain when people die and are revived?
i've met some that say they just saw darkness.
and others say that they've seen heaven.
Why does my belief preclude revival by medical instruments?
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
Old 07-04-2007, 04:16 PM #30
DYE baller FOR life

well.
if you're belife was correct then wouldn't, after someone dies go directly to the 4th demention, then when they are revived what would happen?
would part of them still be in the 4th demension?

95% of all ion owners think their 300 dollar "investment" is better than your 1400 dollar "p.o.s" if you want to bonus ball every ion owner that thinks this put this in your sig
a series of quotes by warbeak2099:"...You acted like a total immature jerk..." "...you were too immature to behave intelligently..." "Neener neener I win."
Old 07-04-2007, 04:31 PM #31
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Quote:
This logic is called 'inductive reasoning'. You are starting with a conclusion and then looking for scientific explanations to support it. Be careful, this is the same logic that Creationists use to defend Biblical references for the origins of the universe.

Start with a hypothesis and look for tests that could support or disprove your claim. Keep an open mind and be prepared to be wrong. Make sure you have a control case too.

The idea that there is some sort of neural synaptic surge before death seems like a pretty good place to start. There should be evidence of this somewhere.
Good point, and yes I understand the danger of using inductive reasoning. I am interested in finding some studies that deal with a person's state of physiological arousal at the time of death.

DYE baller FOR life... what are you talking about. The 4th dimension is time. I said I believe we experience a bend in the 4th dimension which would create an alternate reality on the 5th dimension. Perhaps the bend is not instantaneous. People who are dead for extended periods of time are not revived by the way. They are dead for usually a second or less.
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
Old 07-04-2007, 04:34 PM #32
tonysk83

tonysk83 is a Supporting Member
Death? It is irrelevant to life in my current life.

If we focus on death we miss life, which is why I am very much against the idea of heaven and hell.

Just for the sake of the thread, what happens when I die? As far as I know, I stop being conscious and return to a state of being such as pre-birth. I don't know this to be true, and frankly don't really believe myself, but it is the most logical thing I can understand.

Although after reading about numerous near death experiences, I believe your view of an afterlife might have a lot to do with what you experience after death. Sometimes I believe that what we truly believe life after death to be is true. So if you are Christian, you will be judged after death, if you are atheist you will experience nothing, if you are Hiddu, you will experience reincarnation.

"This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence – economic, political, even spiritual – is felt in every city, every Statehouse, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications."-Dwight Eisenhower

Last edited by tonysk83 : 07-04-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:12 PM #33
DYE baller FOR life

^^kay warbeak now i understand were you're coming from

Old 07-04-2007, 05:38 PM #34
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

Quote:
The 4th dimension is time.
Really? That's news to me.

ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:39 PM #35
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Quote:
Really? That's news to me.
In some fields of thought. Of course, there are many different types of string theory.
#12 Italian Baller
-Václav Havel
Old 07-04-2007, 05:48 PM #36
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

Quote:
In some fields of thought. Of course, there are many different types of string theory.
Hey, you're pretty sharp! I'm impressed, most posters on here would not have caught that subtle connection. Well done.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:51 PM #37
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Quote:
Hey, you're pretty sharp! I'm impressed, most posters on here would not have caught that subtle connection. Well done.
Lol?
#12 Italian Baller
-Václav Havel
Old 07-04-2007, 05:53 PM #38
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

No, I was being serious.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:56 PM #39
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

I know but I don't understand what you're saying lol.
#12 Italian Baller
-Václav Havel
Old 07-05-2007, 07:34 AM #40
IoNxRoCkEr
Voice of the Soul

Annual Supporting Member
IoNxRoCkEr is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
IoNxRoCkEr is Legendary
Quote:
My belief is that when I die, the electrical signals causing my mind to function will disappear like a light when you flip the switch. I will be immortalized through the collective memories of humanity, at least until I am forgotten. My matter will be broken down and recycled into something else in the universe. In that aspect I may be reincarnated as a tree or a slug or maybe just dirt.
If you get reincarnated as a tree I'm going to chop you down and make you into a bible -Dane Cook

lol
Old 07-05-2007, 08:50 AM #41
MVPaintballer
Mega Flagellator

Annual Supporting Member
MVPaintballer is a Mega Moderator
MVPaintballer is a Supporting Member
MVPaintballer donated to help Peyton Trent
MVPaintballer supports Bob Gurnsey
MVPaintballer posts videos on PbNation
MVPaintballer supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickDrawMcGraw5739 View Post
I believe in the Christian interpretation of Heaven and Hell. My only beef with it is that I believe that those who live a good life, help others, and are kind, deserve entrance into Heaven.
I have a strong objection to this. I'd rather entertain a hardcore anti-Christian atheist.

Whose definition of "good" are you using? If you believe in the Christian heaven and hell, shouldn't you be using God's definition, which is laid out in the Bible? I think 98% of people think that they are "generally good". Yes, using a personal definition you are good, because it is hard to be objective when the subject matter is so close - people generally don't think of themselves as bad or sub-par, and if they do, we tend to label it as low self-esteem or depression.

On a completely off-topic side note, I think the problem with obesity lies with the teachings of the current school system, parents, and so-called "educational television programming". "Don't judge the outside", "Don't make fun of people who are different", etc. Unfortunately, our company on this planet is fairly shallow, and the utopia educators and parents are trying to paint is a delusion. The truth is, if you are different, if you do not fit into the WASPy generalized "What a person should be" manual, you're going to get slanted looks, ridiculed, and a decreased quality of life. However, the problem with truth is that it is usually brutal.

Last edited by MVPaintballer : 07-05-2007 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:59 AM #42
NorCalBaller88
iFap

I'm not really worried about death. We were dead before we were born and I don't remember really being bothered by that so death=meh

"Plenty of room at the Hotel California..."