Why is religion needed? - Page 2 - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

 
Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-04-2007, 02:17 AM #22
Jonnyblaze1991
Who Dares, Wins
 
Jonnyblaze1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
it isnt needed
__________________
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Jonnyblaze1991 is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2007, 05:08 AM #23
FuzzyFish
 
 
FuzzyFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Carlsbad, California
 has been a member for 10 years
Religion is important, because it really allows us to donate money to the Catholic church so we can use that money to help......them buy golden statues of their saints to decorate their buildings.

Nah, but seriously, i think religion appeals to people for a number of reasons, 1) hope of another existence, 2) optimism that one day the wicked will be punished for their crimes (which I find sort of ironic because some faiths act like their against vengence, and then have their God cast sinners into hell, therefore being a vengeful being.) 3) a fear of death, 4) being accepted within another crowd of people with similar beliefs 5) they are told that all they do is a sin, even if it is a natural part of human behavior (envy, pride, gluttony and lust) In this way people feel guilty an all knowing being will punish them, or reward them for the crimes/accomplishments that it knows all about. 6) peer pressure, I know plenty of religious individuals, whom i have asked about their faiths holy book, and they don't even read it. Therefore, i am led to conclude some are brought into their faith by friends/family, and do not bother to educate themself about there faith. 7) A crutch for those who feel they are weakened. Handicap and drug addicts alike, they both need help, and sometimes the help of meer human beings isn't enough. They went the help from the best, from an all knowing being with magical abilities whom no one can see!

Anyways......those are just some of my opinions....I dunno, I don't care, if it works for you, great, but keep it away from my doorstep!
__________________
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —George W Bush Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
FuzzyFish is offline  
Old 07-04-2007, 06:03 AM #24
JC Nor7
after hours
 
JC Nor7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Ocean
Its simple.

Religion is here to explain the unexplainable.

Its here to give people hope.
__________________
Seattle Seahawks
AAS, Paralegal Studies
Nay, belay that. Let her run straight and true!
JC Nor7 is offline  
Old 07-04-2007, 11:05 AM #25
Tuftymah
S.T. Roker
 
Tuftymah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: UK
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."

Religion, like drugs, appease us. In answer to the question of why religion is needed, we must first determine WHO it is needed by...

States and religious establishments needed religion in order to exercise power over their citizens and keeped them in a placid state of mind so they are complient and accept authority. It serves as the most prominent tool of oppression throughout history, as far back as St. Paul who wrote a letter stating that we must accept the authorities that are in place because they were imposed and placed in that position of power by God (obv' I'm paraphrasing as I handed back the text book I found it in). This has a number of implications; Paul talks of the God of the Judeo-Christian tradition putting people in power, but what about states that are run by people who don't subscribe to that tradition (e.g. the Islamic countries of the Middle East)? Were these Muslim leaders instilled by the Christian God? If so to what end? Also, by saying that we must obey earthly forms of authority as they were put in place by God, where does that leave the actions of Hitler (just one example, could quite easily be replaced by Pinochet, Stalin, Pot (sp?), Mussolini etc) who committed and sanctioned atrocities against humanity yet it is said, were granted the power and the ability to saction these acts by God?

There's another quote from the same text book that goes along the lines of "If people are forever looking towards the Heavens for answers, they're not going to answer problems themselves" That is to say that people are less likely to effect social change or solve societal problems from within the society if they are looking towards divinity for answers/solutions.

To individuals religion serves as a method of appeasing them and making them less worried about life after death and all the other hitherto unanswerable and unknown questions/concepts in the universe. It is the opium of the people.

I always seem to go off on a bit of a tangent when I get into typing so if I haven't answered the question sufficiently please tell me and I'll take another look
__________________
-={YORKSHIRE PRIDE}=-
Tuftymah is offline  
Old 07-07-2007, 04:37 PM #26
ray77
roll tide roll!!!!
 
ray77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 256/205, AL
 has been a member for 10 years
religion is here because "i dont know" isnt good enough answer for people. where did the first cell coem from? we dont know so people say god. its a crutch for weak minded people. who cant comprehend that we have not yet discovered it.
__________________
Viva la OSST Drinking Team!!!!

"Originally posted by Menace: ray77's also drunk 24/7 so don't worry about it."

"Originally posted by SpeedBallDEVIL: what exactly is a 4.6 and a 5.0 and whats the diffence?
V6 and a V8? i have no clue. sry lol"
ray77 is offline  
Old 07-09-2007, 12:19 AM #27
EY3
one love
 
EY3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: location, location.
religion exist to keep people from thinking about the truth. the same of government.
__________________
رایم برای من مراجعت کنید
EY3 is offline  
Old 07-09-2007, 12:38 AM #28
NEp8ntballer
 
 
NEp8ntballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
NEp8ntballer supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
It's like circular Freudian logic.
that's just too ****ing hilarious. I'm gonna have to put that in my word document full of quotes.
__________________
best porn thread in ST history by ScorpionShock - I was there 6/7 or 6/8 depending on your timezone

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Official ST Atheists #8


Old Feedback
NEp8ntballer is offline  
Old 07-09-2007, 01:53 AM #29
infinite727
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
 
infinite727's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
infinite727 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
i truly do not wish to start any sort of confrontation in this thread, although others may have already done so. it is unlikely i will check back on this thread, so do not pride any negative responses toward me as a "victory"

i am agnostic in the most pure and fundamental sense of the word. my mind is constantly and unforgivingly torn day after day as to what our existence is. i have yet to come to any conclusions but acknowledge all possibilities. that aside i ask you only to consider this:

if there was no religion, no faith in a higher being (which by all means may be reality) you would be telling people to accept that their life is nothing more than a series of events that can be explained by science and grandiose theories beyond more than a select few's comprehension.

their lives, in a sense- meaningless. overwhelming depression and mayhem would tear across the world, leaving us in a terribly sad state of affairs.

i hold no favor to any conclusion about this world but i must say, i believe that i strongly fear a world as described above, it is only human to seek purpose, something bigger than just ourselves.

*i apologize for any spelling and / or grammatical errors as it is late and i am rather tired
__________________
"Originally posted by TRD_Celica: so a guy walks in a bar, he asks for a drink and the bartender says how was your day, he replies it was the worst day ever, i got banned, so i spammed pbnation for ever and a day, and the bartenders says, lol gtfo boat"
infinite727 is offline  
Old 07-09-2007, 02:04 AM #30
paintballonaim (Banned)
oh, the machines we are.
 
paintballonaim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Salem, Va
 has been a member for 10 years
paintballonaim is an NCPA player
paintballonaim plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray77 View Post
religion is here because "i dont know" isnt good enough answer for people. where did the first cell coem from? we dont know so people say god. its a crutch for weak minded people. who cant comprehend that we have not yet discovered it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EY3 View Post
religion exist to keep people from thinking about the truth. the same of government.
How is it a crutch for the weak? I think depending on what a scientist says and puking it back out to people is a crutch. I go by scientists - they say a cell can regenerate. Fine, it can regenerate - I don't have the equipment to study it, so I'll go by what they say - and personally, I wouldn't want to study it. Anyways, if they say Evolution happened, fine, but I believe God put the original animals on Earth and let them evolve... I'll believe what science has to say until they start thinking something that you honestly can't prove is fact. For example - them saying there is no God, period, would go against my beliefs, and there is absolutely no way for them to prove that there is no God. Until that day comes, I'll trust science and God.

It takes just as much faith to believe in science as in God. Admit it.

Last edited by paintballonaim : 07-09-2007 at 02:07 AM.
paintballonaim is offline  
Old 07-09-2007, 11:13 AM #31
kjjm4
Liberty or Death
 
kjjm4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Wind Ridge, PA
kjjm4 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
kjjm4 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
kjjm4 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite727 View Post
i truly do not wish to start any sort of confrontation in this thread, although others may have already done so. it is unlikely i will check back on this thread, so do not pride any negative responses toward me as a "victory"

i am agnostic in the most pure and fundamental sense of the word. my mind is constantly and unforgivingly torn day after day as to what our existence is. i have yet to come to any conclusions but acknowledge all possibilities. that aside i ask you only to consider this:

if there was no religion, no faith in a higher being (which by all means may be reality) you would be telling people to accept that their life is nothing more than a series of events that can be explained by science and grandiose theories beyond more than a select few's comprehension.

their lives, in a sense- meaningless. overwhelming depression and mayhem would tear across the world, leaving us in a terribly sad state of affairs.

i hold no favor to any conclusion about this world but i must say, i believe that i strongly fear a world as described above, it is only human to seek purpose, something bigger than just ourselves.

*i apologize for any spelling and / or grammatical errors as it is late and i am rather tired
I disagree that life has no purpose without faith. Your life has whatever meaning you ascribe to it. You define your own existance. Religion is an easy way to define yourself though, because somebody else (human or God as you see fit to believe) has already done all the thinking.
__________________
“A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
-Thomas Jefferson
kjjm4 is offline  
Old 07-09-2007, 11:27 AM #32
infinite727
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
 
infinite727's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
infinite727 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
of course, but i was referring to a purpose greater than ourselves. sure one could seek to have a family, etc.

but in the end, it has no relevance to any sort of "fate" that will effect the world in a less personal way
__________________
"Originally posted by TRD_Celica: so a guy walks in a bar, he asks for a drink and the bartender says how was your day, he replies it was the worst day ever, i got banned, so i spammed pbnation for ever and a day, and the bartenders says, lol gtfo boat"
infinite727 is offline  
Old 07-09-2007, 12:06 PM #33
Derr
•THE EDITOR•
 
Derr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Morro Bay, CA
There's always the survival of DNA.
__________________
::Derr's Epic Ride::

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Derr is offline  
Old 07-09-2007, 12:27 PM #34
spankypntbal
-Static-
 
spankypntbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: 813
 has been a member for 10 years
spankypntbal plays in the PSP
spankypntbal plays in the APPA D1 division
I heard on the radio the other day, about a female that was validictorian at her school, when she was giving her speech at graduation she told the audience that if you didnt believe in god you were going to hell. This made me laugh a bit, and justifies how small minded religious people can be and defianlly made me think less of her. People like this are reasons for sterotypes and generalizations not just about religion, but whatever it is they flaunt there ignorance about. This became a discussion on the radio about how what she said was out of place and should not have been said at a public school event. Religion makes me rant. Yes religion is to instill fear and helps control the masses. But some people get some morals and values out of it which is kind of helpful, considering the lack of today.
spankypntbal is offline  
Old 07-09-2007, 12:38 PM #35
eatafetus
knows you love it.
 
eatafetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: I Chill in Ill
Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
eatafetus supports our troops
eatafetus plays in the APPA D5 division
eatafetus is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
eatafetus is Legendary
eatafetus supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Nor7 View Post
Its simple.

Religion is here to explain the unexplainable.

Its here to give people hope.

Bingo.

infinite727 said

"if there was no religion, no faith in a higher being (which by all means may be reality) you would be telling people to accept that their life is nothing more than a series of events that can be explained by science and grandiose theories beyond more than a select few's comprehension."

Why is that a bad thing? I am a product of several molecules that formed together to make a coumpound, which then turned into a cell, which then turned into 3 cells, and so on, and so forth. I am the result of a boilogical reaction that has happened zillions of times over the course of billions of years. Why are we scared of that? Its quite an amazing process. Nothing ro be ashamed of, or scared of. After i live out my life, I assume that I will cease to be, and the components of the system that made my life possible will enable the process to start for someone else. I'm not scared of that. I'm not lonely or scared that my life has no purpose. The purpose of life IS life. Its not to change the world, cure cancer, enlighten anyone, or do anything else spectacular. Its just to live and be alive. When a beam of light is shot out of the sun towards earth, do you think it says, "Why am i dong this? what purpose do i fulfill?" It doesn't say that, one, because light doesnt have thoughts, and two, because it was created to do one thing...shoot around the galxay untill it is eliminated. If it cures cancer, runs a 4.0 forty, or becomes president, its not because it was destined to do so. That happened because those things fell into place on its way to its end.

Im not saying that curing cancer or doing anything great with the life you have is wasteful or bad. It enables other peoples live to be longer and better. But its dangerous to think that humans are a special race that is here for a purpose, other than to just be here. That leads to a feeling of entitlement, and entitlement is against everything in the universe. No one being is better than any other. They both have one purpose...to just be here. life itsellf is the same as water, fire, and air. They all happen when the conditions are right. Not because someone needs a fire, or someone is thirsty. THey just occur at random.

Religion gives people who cannot accept this fact a feeling of purpose and responsibility. "I am not a function of a biological process, i was put here by god to teach children to read." Well, kids do need to learn how to read, and its great that you are teaching them, but thats not why you are here. You are here because life found a way to bring you here, and teaching, reading, and any other institution is just a by-product of what man has chosen to do after life found a way to bring them here.

Just my two cents...

Last edited by eatafetus : 07-09-2007 at 01:06 PM.
eatafetus is offline  
Old 07-09-2007, 06:00 PM #36
EY3
one love
 
EY3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: location, location.
god does not exist as an all powerful man that lives in the sky. god is everything. everything that is alive and dead. every universe, every dimention. everything that can possibly and impossibly exist. including you, you are everything, you are everyone, you are god.
__________________
رایم برای من مراجعت کنید
EY3 is offline  
Old 07-09-2007, 06:23 PM #37
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah
 
cryptic.paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Uniontown Pa
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by EY3 View Post
god does not exist as an all powerful man that lives in the sky. god is everything. everything that is alive and dead. every universe, every dimention. everything that can possibly and impossibly exist. including you, you are everything, you are everyone, you are god.
Care to shed some light on where you got this idea from? Any backing of this idea in reality?
cryptic.paintball is offline  
Old 07-09-2007, 06:30 PM #38
EY3
one love
 
EY3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: location, location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic.paintball View Post
Care to shed some light on where you got this idea from? Any backing of this idea in reality?
can you prove it wrong? it is only a theory, it can not be proved. like any religion or belief.
__________________
رایم برای من مراجعت کنید
EY3 is offline  
Old 07-09-2007, 06:33 PM #39
paintballonaim (Banned)
oh, the machines we are.
 
paintballonaim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Salem, Va
 has been a member for 10 years
paintballonaim is an NCPA player
paintballonaim plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by EY3 View Post
god does not exist as an all powerful man that lives in the sky. god is everything. everything that is alive and dead. every universe, every dimention. everything that can possibly and impossibly exist. including you, you are everything, you are everyone, you are god.
Did you just call me dead?




paintballonaim is offline  
Old 07-09-2007, 06:34 PM #40
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah
 
cryptic.paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Uniontown Pa
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Religion does not equal theory. It is only a theory after first being a hypothesis (which it does not even qualify for) and being tested over and over to become a theory. It has to have empirical evidence behind it to become a theory.

You cannot prove make believe items as real or unreal. You cannot disprove the easter bunny, tooth fairy or the pink unicorn in my backyard that only I can see.
cryptic.paintball is offline  
Old 07-09-2007, 07:24 PM #41
Crede777
Resident Agnostic
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by EY3 View Post
god does not exist as an all powerful man that lives in the sky. god is everything.
May the Force be with you, too.

But on a serious note, how would you counter the Biblical assertation that humanity is made in His own image?
__________________
"We Fight! "We March!"
ST: P Conspiracy - It's what's for dinner
ST:R/P I ain't come from no fish!
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline  
Old 07-09-2007, 07:35 PM #42
warbeak2099
That is my foot!
 
warbeak2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wouldn't u like to know!
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EY3 View Post
god does not exist as an all powerful man that lives in the sky. god is everything. everything that is alive and dead. every universe, every dimention. everything that can possibly and impossibly exist. including you, you are everything, you are everyone, you are god.

So you believe that god = existence? Well that's pantheism and I agree. The notion of "god" is the abstract embodiment of the universe, existance, and the laws that govern existence.
__________________
US Navy Baller
UL'd 07 PMR F/S, PM me if interested!
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline  
 




Posting Rules
Forum Jump