25 Reasons Why I Am Not A Christian - Article - Page 2 - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

 
Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-03-2007, 08:59 AM #22
The Foo
Maximum Rate Of Fire
 
The Foo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ocean City, Maryland
The Foo is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Shaffir View Post
It is a pretty rude post to Americans in general.
I'm beginning to wonder if people even read the article at all, as the topic has "strayed".

I'm sorry if you find the truth rude or offensive.
The Foo is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2007, 10:17 AM #23
Grayscale
Unbending Perspicacity
 
Grayscale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic.paintball View Post
I like how it is the religious people in the thread calling others idiots and morons. WTG

Psst... maybe you need to come to terms with the fact that you might only be an atheist because you tout yourself as being smart. It's too bad the world doesn't work that way and people are quite often not what they consider themselves to be.
__________________
I don't care about anything that you think about anything.
Grayscale is offline  
Old 07-03-2007, 12:15 PM #24
Ziya92
Professional Ninja
 
Ziya92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So Cal
You guys should read that. Its really good. It points out a lot of faults with religon and other stuff with evidence backed fact.
__________________
Marq Rapper f/s/t
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3868854
Ziya92 is offline  
Old 07-03-2007, 01:22 PM #25
The Foo
Maximum Rate Of Fire
 
The Foo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ocean City, Maryland
The Foo is a Supporting Member
Most of the time people stick their head in the sand and abolish the outstanding evidence that shows their religion formed from parts of others religion.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/019...GPY6H DUQW45C

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006...GPY6H DUQW45C

are good books on the subject of how original the Bible is.
The Foo is offline  
Old 07-03-2007, 02:52 PM #26
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Foo View Post
...
I'm sorry if you find the truth rude or offensive.
I don't find truth to be offensive. I do find peoples presentation of fact as though it is truth an offense. I have read through the article (finally, it seems to always be down). however, as with many Internet links - what is YOUR synopsis of the these "reasons".

I will comment on your interpretations of the writing. I don't think it's fair to just say - oh, here is some random internet link that I agree with, go read it and make comments on the points presented. If I have time, I may comment on each of the points brought up. (it is 72 pages long, single spaced. )
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 07-03-2007, 03:09 PM #27
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah
 
cryptic.paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Uniontown Pa
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post

Psst... maybe you need to come to terms with the fact that you might only be an atheist because you tout yourself as being smart. It's too bad the world doesn't work that way and people are quite often not what they consider themselves to be.
How does your comment relate to the fact that it is the so called religious people using personal attacks in this thread? I appreciate that you think that I think I am smart. I have above average intelligence, but I do not go around touting or thinking that I am smarter than anyone else. But I will point out the fallisious nature of religion as this is what this section of pb nis for. religious DEBATE
cryptic.paintball is offline  
Old 07-03-2007, 03:34 PM #28
The Foo
Maximum Rate Of Fire
 
The Foo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ocean City, Maryland
The Foo is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
I don't find truth to be offensive. I do find peoples presentation of fact as though it is truth an offense. I have read through the article (finally, it seems to always be down). however, as with many Internet links - what is YOUR synopsis of the these "reasons".

I will comment on your interpretations of the writing. I don't think it's fair to just say - oh, here is some random internet link that I agree with, go read it and make comments on the points presented. If I have time, I may comment on each of the points brought up. (it is 72 pages long, single spaced. )
You obviously have no clue how digg or reddit works then.

Post Link > Read Article > Debate Comments
The Foo is offline  
Old 07-03-2007, 03:37 PM #29
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Foo View Post
You obviously have no clue how digg or reddit works then.

Post Link > Read Article > Debate Comments
guess not. what's digg and reddit? are they part of PbN ST:R/P?
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 07-03-2007, 04:10 PM #30
Derr
•THE EDITOR•
 
Derr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
guess not. what's digg and reddit? are they part of PbN ST:R/P?
*cough*offtopic/argumentative*cough*

Focus: I'm still reading through this article. It's very interesting so far. There were certainly aspects of it that I had never considered. I will have more in depth analysis as I complete it.

Here's an idea: maybe we should debate each individual topic. We could do one a day and after about four weeks, we'd be done.
__________________
::Derr's Epic Ride::

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Derr is offline  
Old 07-03-2007, 04:16 PM #31
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr View Post
*cough*offtopic/argumentative*cough*

Focus: I'm still reading through this article. It's very interesting so far. There were certainly aspects of it that I had never considered. I will have more in depth analysis as I complete it.

Here's an idea: maybe we should debate each individual topic. We could do one a day and after about four weeks, we'd be done.
what's argumentative? and what are you saying? - and why not comment on the person that actually started the OT, instead of the one commenting on their comment?

I don't happen to believe there is such a thing as debating on a public forum, but I like the idea of delving into them one at a time for a given period of time to offer opinion and beliefs, and assumptions, conjecture etc...

BTW - cut the links out at the end of each point and got the document down to 44 pages.
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.

Last edited by RamboPreacher : 07-03-2007 at 04:20 PM.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 07-03-2007, 04:48 PM #32
impulseballer42586
WCPS Operations Manager
 
impulseballer42586's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bellevue, WA
Annual Supporting Member
impulseballer42586 is a Moderator
impulseballer42586 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic.paintball View Post
I like how it is the religious people in the thread calling others idiots and morons. WTG
While I myself am a christian, I must say well played. It is great (<--sarcasm) when people who claim a religion that says your supposed to be nice and friendly with people turn around and break that when debating in a religious group.

But also because many people in here like to nit pik, let it be known that sooner I later I have/will said rude things to people that aren't a direct reflection of my belief, and I know it is a flaw in me, but I am also not claiming to be perfect.
__________________
Quick Guide on how to become a PBN Mod:

Step #1 - Go Here
Step #2 - Read This
Step #3 - Don't talk about fight club

Last edited by impulseballer42586 : 07-03-2007 at 06:19 PM. Reason: clarification
impulseballer42586 is online now  
Old 07-03-2007, 05:58 PM #33
Grayscale
Unbending Perspicacity
 
Grayscale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic.paintball View Post
How does your comment relate to the fact that it is the so called religious people using personal attacks in this thread? I appreciate that you think that I think I am smart. I have above average intelligence, but I do not go around touting or thinking that I am smarter than anyone else. But I will point out the fallisious nature of religion as this is what this section of pb nis for. religious DEBATE
I don't think you're smart. You have relatively good spelling and grammar, people often confuse the two. I never really indicated that, either... anyways:

First off, the personal attacks are a result of someone (a person) being particularly ignorant. If said person says 3 things stupid, I can either refute the arguments (which I don't think is necessary) or simply point out that the person is stupid as a whole. Much easier!

Secondly, insulting people doesn't equate to ignorance. Some people just don't deserve my full attention or an entire argument. I really don't care whether people view me as smart or not... hence my reference to "the way the world works" - reality is not often the most apparent thing.

People never understand that. When someone says the n-word, they're called a racist... but the person who makes a conscious decision to favor someone on race supposedly on a different basis gets away scott-free. Really, if people engaged their brains once in a while, they'd realize that simply uttering something can't make you racist. That's just one example, anyways.
__________________
I don't care about anything that you think about anything.
Grayscale is offline  
Old 07-03-2007, 07:31 PM #34
green paint2
/-/<
 
green paint2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
I don't think you're smart. You have relatively good spelling and grammar, people often confuse the two. I never really indicated that, either... anyways:

First off, the personal attacks are a result of someone (a person) being particularly ignorant. If said person says 3 things stupid, I can either refute the arguments (which I don't think is necessary) or simply point out that the person is stupid as a whole. Much easier!

So basically you’re just saving yourself from a counter-argument and contributing nothing to the topic as a whole?

Cryptic has a vast knowledge of all things religious and philosophical. I find his opinions to be interesting and generally factual.

And yes, I am just pointing out your glaring hypocrisy.
__________________
My Feedback
I tried to ghost ride my whip but I hit a tree.
green paint2 is offline  
Old 07-03-2007, 07:34 PM #35
Ari Shaffir (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
My dad can beat up your dad
Ari Shaffir is offline  
Old 07-03-2007, 09:25 PM #36
Grayscale
Unbending Perspicacity
 
Grayscale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by green paint2 View Post
So basically you’re just saving yourself from a counter-argument and contributing nothing to the topic as a whole?

Cryptic has a vast knowledge of all things religious and philosophical. I find his opinions to be interesting and generally factual.

And yes, I am just pointing out your glaring hypocrisy.
If this thread had any value then I would think twice about throwing around a few insults. And lol about Cryptic... nothing against the guy, just another poster on this forum, but certainly not as you describe. Anyone who actually takes the time to write up anything resembling a solid argument is usually ignored anyways.

As for my glaring hypocrisy, it couldn't be too glaring because I'm not seeing what you're talking about.
__________________
I don't care about anything that you think about anything.
Grayscale is offline  
Old 07-03-2007, 09:39 PM #37
Derr
•THE EDITOR•
 
Derr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
what's argumentative? and what are you saying? - and why not comment on the person that actually started the OT, instead of the one commenting on their comment?
The last time I got into it with you I can to the realization that most of the posts I see you writing are offtopic and succeed in antagonizing other posters into flamewars/more offtopic posting. Since you denied it when I called you on it and reporting your spam has no effect I decided that everytime I see you make an offtopic post, I'm just going to tell you in that thread. Then maybe you will see the light. I'm also going to protect myself from bannage by a) not flaming you and b) posting something ontopic via this little gem; it's my way of telling you to

Focus: I find it instructive that many posters on here would describe this guy as just some random who put something on the internet when in fact he describes himself so much more succinctly:

Quote:
An armchair polymath, for thiry-odd years I've been a student of comparative religion, theology, philosophy, mythology, literature, history, and science (after a long hiatus, I've even returned to graduate school and am currently pursuing another degree in Humanities). I've read thousands of books, have over four thousand in my personal library, five hundred of which belong to the subject of Christianity and the Bible (see partial list).

Prior to earning degrees in Humanities (e.g., Philosophy, Literature, History), I attended Northwest University to prepare for a career as a pastoral minister. I studied biblical exegesis, hermeneutics, New Testament (Koine) Greek, a little Hebrew, ancient near east history, and doctrinal interpretation. During this time I was 'on fire for the Lord'. I witnessed to anyone who would listen and brought several friends to Christ. Always a voracious reader—sometimes reading three or four books a week—I immersed myself in the study of religion and took full advantage of the extensive (and expensive) scholarly volumes in the school library.
Those credentials remind me of someone on this forum... I just can't place it... Who COULD it be?
__________________
::Derr's Epic Ride::

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Derr is offline  
 




Posting Rules
Forum Jump