Divine Intervention! - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

 
Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-30-2007, 01:15 AM #1
bigfatdanman
**** Obama.
 
bigfatdanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TEXAS *****!
Exclamation Divine Intervention!

i just want to know how many people can-without a doubt- name an occurrence in which a Deity (GOD) of any religion has intervened in their life, beyond any reasonable doubt. if you can discredit ALL other explanations and it goes beyond "luck". lets see how fast this fills up.......
__________________
DON'T PUSH IT

My God.
DARQ
bigfatdanman is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2007, 03:15 AM #2
LGB (Banned)
.animal.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
The creation of the universe, DUH, how else would it have happened?


On a serious note, you're just begging for flames here because doesn't matter what people say has happened, others are going to completely deny them.
LGB is offline  
Old 06-30-2007, 03:51 AM #3
Derr
•THE EDITOR•
 
Derr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Morro Bay, CA
One time, I needed to take the bus but I didn't have any change. This guy loaned me a quarter. His name was Jesus.
__________________
::Derr's Epic Ride::

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Derr is offline  
Old 06-30-2007, 04:08 AM #4
Kill me.The king (Banned)
E Pluribus Venom
 
Kill me.The king's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas
Here's divine intervention.

Kill me.The king is offline  
Old 06-30-2007, 08:00 AM #5
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah
 
cryptic.paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Uniontown Pa
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill me.The king View Post
Here's divine intervention.

lol

That one made me giggle.
cryptic.paintball is offline  
Old 06-30-2007, 08:08 AM #6
Gold_Eagle (Banned)
Damn. That sucks.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida 321
One time about a month ago, we had this delicious roast for dinner. It was one of the best meals I've ever had. Why was it so good? No, not because my mom payed extra money for a nice cut of meat, or because she followed the directions. It was because she prayed to God to make it taste so good and be so tender. So God intervened on our free will as a single person had asked him to do so and made our meal slightly more enjoyable when there were millions starving around the world at that same exact time.


I wish I was kidding you. Things like this happen in my house on a daily basis.

Last edited by Gold_Eagle : 06-30-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Gold_Eagle is offline  
Old 06-30-2007, 12:06 PM #7
TESlight'emupTES
My username is stupid
 
TESlight'emupTES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: VA
TESlight'emupTES donated to help Peyton Trent
Wow, what a great thread idea. A Christian will come along and tell a story of a miracle in their life and this will follow:

"zomg knoe, that wuz all luck so ur stupid, lawlz!"

I think the religious people of ST:R would be a lot less reluctant to share if they could feel confident the atheists (not the respectable ones, like cryptic or Gold, but the ones who don't even know how to carry an intelligent conversation) wouldn't automatically dismiss everything they had to say.

Having said that, I don't have many stories like that of my own, other than the fact that I'm alive and healthy today, but I could share a story about my youth pastor if you'd honestly think about it and not just call it coincidence.
TESlight'emupTES is offline  
Old 06-30-2007, 12:17 PM #8
bannedbi slaughter
bambi is back
 
bannedbi slaughter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: lebanon, PA
god spoke to me in a dream, and told me he was fake.
__________________
Something wicked, This way comes
bannedbi slaughter is offline  
Old 06-30-2007, 12:40 PM #9
Gold_Eagle (Banned)
Damn. That sucks.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by TESlight'emupTES View Post
Having said that, I don't have many stories like that of my own, other than the fact that I'm alive and healthy today, but I could share a story about my youth pastor if you'd honestly think about it and not just call it coincidence.
I'd like to hear it.
Gold_Eagle is offline  
Old 06-30-2007, 03:04 PM #10
Derr
•THE EDITOR•
 
Derr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TESlight'emupTES View Post
Wow, what a great thread idea. A Christian will come along and tell a story of a miracle in their life and this will follow:

"zomg knoe, that wuz all luck so ur stupid, lawlz!"

I think the religious people of ST:R would be a lot less reluctant to share if they could feel confident the atheists (not the respectable ones, like cryptic or Gold, but the ones who don't even know how to carry an intelligent conversation) wouldn't automatically dismiss everything they had to say.
What are you talking about? So far, the athiests have been the only ones contributing to this thread.
__________________
::Derr's Epic Ride::

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Derr is offline  
Old 06-30-2007, 05:16 PM #11
TESlight'emupTES
My username is stupid
 
TESlight'emupTES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: VA
TESlight'emupTES donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold_Eagle View Post
I'd like to hear it.
While he was serving his last church, my youth pastor was a counselor at a camp every year. Most of the time he brought his wife and son and they all relaxed, enjoying the week away from everything. One year, his wife and son couldn't come because his wife was almost ready to have a baby and there was nobody to watch his son.

One night, one of the camp's staff came to him just before it was time to go to bed. The staff person told him he had an urgent phone call, so he excused himself and went to the building where the phone was. When he got to the phone, he found out his wife was having problems with the baby she was pregnant with and needed to be driven to the hospital. They lived about an hour and a half from the camp, but he knew he needed to get to his house that night so his wife could go to the hospital. He told the other camp staff members what was going on and that he needed to leave.

He was driving along when he realized the oil light was on, which was strange because he didn't remember being low on oil. He started to think about how he could be running out of oil, when he figured the gravel road he was driving on bounced a piece of gravel into the underside of the car and ruptured something. When he thought about this, he realized the urgency of the situation: he needed to be home that night but was in the middle of nowhere and was quickly running out of gas. He decided to continue driving, hoping he'd find a gas station or he'd make it all the way home. As he drove, he looked to both sides of the road for anyone who could him him... a house, a store, a police officer. All he saw was a seemingly solid wall of trees. Finally, as his oil was getting extremely low, he looked to the side of the road and saw what seemed to be some sort of light on the top of a hill. He started to drive towards it and soon realized it was a gas station. When he pulled in, the attendant, who was still at the gas station, came out to greet him. All he was wearing was a pair of khaki pants. No shirt, no shoes; just a pair of khaki pants. The situation started to feel awkward because he wasn't sure who this man was or if he even really was the attendant. My youth pastor got out of his car and looked underneath it, to find oil coming out quickly, confirming the idea that a rock had skipped up and burst something. He stood up to talk to the attendant and told him he needed oil. He decided to buy several things of oil so that he could just run them through the car, instead of taking the time to repair it. They went inside and the attendant began to load him up with oil when my youth pastor realized he didn't have much money in his wallet, which he told the attendant. When the attendant heard this, he said "Don't worry about it, Adam." The gas station attendant knew his name, which was odd. He dismissed it as coincidence and continued to insist he could pay the attendant back. The attendant refused, saying "No, just get home. Your wife needs you." At this point, my youth pastor really started to feel eerie. They went out to the car and the attendant asked my youth pastor to hand him the oil filter by the front driver's side wheel. He looked down to find a filter in the exact spot where he'd knelt before to check and see if his oil was running out. As he thought about it, he realized there was no oil filter on the ground ten minutes before when he'd knelt there.

He had enough oil to get home, his wife was alright, the baby was born and is healthy today. The next year, he brought his wife and two children to the camp. He wanted to stop and show them the gas station so that they could go in and thank the attendant for everything. As they got to the point where he drove up to the gas station, there was nothing there but trees... there was no gas station in sight.
TESlight'emupTES is offline  
Old 06-30-2007, 05:24 PM #12
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah
 
cryptic.paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Uniontown Pa
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Sounds liek he could not remember where it was as he was travelling at night and in a wooded area. Plus the guy could have been a previous camper whom was still in touch with curent members.

I find the details that are not associated with the story, or not important are there in an attempt to add credit to the story. A tool used by many story tellers.
cryptic.paintball is offline  
Old 06-30-2007, 05:29 PM #13
Derr
•THE EDITOR•
 
Derr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Morro Bay, CA
That sounds like exactly the kind of ghost story they would tell around the campfire at a church camp.
__________________
::Derr's Epic Ride::

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Derr is offline  
Old 06-30-2007, 05:32 PM #14
Gold_Eagle (Banned)
Damn. That sucks.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida 321
Nice story, but there are many things that could be wrong with it. As CP said, he could have been a previous camper. Or, he was in a high stress situation and didn't remember things well (like the filter) or even imagined things (talking about his wife). Or, he could have just made it up. Many possible flaws, not saying its impossible, but there are many other things that could have happened that night.
Gold_Eagle is offline  
Old 06-30-2007, 10:40 PM #15
KyPaintBawler (Banned)
**** Off!
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fairdale, Ky ~FHS~
Quote:
Originally Posted by TESlight'emupTES View Post
Wow, what a great thread idea. A Christian will come along and tell a story of a miracle in their life and this will follow:

"zomg knoe, that wuz all luck so ur stupid, lawlz!"

I think the religious people of ST:R would be a lot less reluctant to share if they could feel confident the atheists (not the respectable ones, like cryptic or Gold, but the ones who don't even know how to carry an intelligent conversation) wouldn't automatically dismiss everything they had to say.

Having said that, I don't have many stories like that of my own, other than the fact that I'm alive and healthy today, but I could share a story about my youth pastor if you'd honestly think about it and not just call it coincidence.
If no one critiques, or even bashes your thoughts, how do you know if they are worth having?
KyPaintBawler is offline  
Old 06-30-2007, 11:11 PM #16
TESlight'emupTES
My username is stupid
 
TESlight'emupTES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: VA
TESlight'emupTES donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic.paintball View Post
Sounds liek he could not remember where it was as he was travelling at night and in a wooded area. Plus the guy could have been a previous camper whom was still in touch with curent members.
I'd think the opposite... if something that important happened there, wouldn't he be more likely to remember it?

As far as the guy being a previous camper, he'd never seen the guy before and he'd worked with the camp for a good while, so they'd know eachother, wouldn't they?

Thanks for your response though, at least you read and thought about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr View Post
That sounds like exactly the kind of ghost story they would tell around the campfire at a church camp.
Exactly what I was talking about. I try to add to the conversation so we'll have something to talk about and you act like the average poster in ST. Bravo, Derr... bravo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold_Eagle View Post
Nice story, but there are many things that could be wrong with it. As CP said, he could have been a previous camper. Or, he was in a high stress situation and didn't remember things well (like the filter) or even imagined things (talking about his wife). Or, he could have just made it up. Many possible flaws, not saying its impossible, but there are many other things that could have happened that night.
That might be true, too, that he forgot things in the stress. My only two observations (or points, I guess) about that are the fact that he's a youth pastor, so he puts up with stress all the time from a lot of different people. Giving sermons, talking to troubled teens, helping the senior and associate pastors with their work... stress is something I think he'd be used to. Also, he's got a memory like a steel trap. He remembers things about me (our families are close because he did a lot of work with my dad while he was campaining for the spot at our church) that were just mentioned in passing. Just speculation though. I doubt he would have made it up, I mean, that sort of stuff ends when you're about ten... you don't have a cool story to tell so you make one up. He's not like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyPaintBawler View Post
If no one critiques, or even bashes your thoughts, how do you know if they are worth having?
There's a difference between critiquing (thanks CP, Gold) and being an immature nay-sayer (see: Derr) when a topic is brought up. I don't mind critiques, but it's the stuff like Derr's comment that bothers me.
TESlight'emupTES is offline  
Old 07-01-2007, 07:03 AM #17
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah
 
cryptic.paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Uniontown Pa
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
I have a mind like a steel trap myself, and remember things as long ago like when I was a 3-4 years old. But when your spouse is in need of medical care you are not thinking very clearly. Your only thouhgt is getting to where they are as fast as possible. I would know, have a few children of my own and when they go into labor you have a hard time remembering what road you took, let alone the minute details in this story.

The problem with many "stories" that people tell in attempts to have others believe is the overly detail oriented story itself. Adding small things to stories that have no overall meaning to said story leads one to believe some, if not all , of the story is embelished.
cryptic.paintball is offline  
Old 07-01-2007, 11:53 AM #18
bigfatdanman
**** Obama.
 
bigfatdanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TEXAS *****!
i just want to say TESlightemup's story cant readily discredited, if it were told by a youth pastor, it's probably true according to his best memory. i know there are problems with the church in ALL levels pertaining to morals, laws and personal behavior, but when i was a christian (i really was), i found that almost all of the youth pastors along with a handful of others were genuinely convinced in their beliefs. so if he says it happened to him, there should be no doubt he believes it happened. i just think there's a logical explaination such as the panicking, stress, and fast-pace of it all probably kinda smushed all the events together and a man he DID know got mixed in his memory with one he didnt. you ever completely kill an entire field of players on a run through and not remember a THING like 5 minutes after? happens to me every time.
__________________
DON'T PUSH IT

My God.
DARQ
bigfatdanman is offline  
Old 07-01-2007, 04:02 PM #19
Derr
•THE EDITOR•
 
Derr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TESlight'emupTES View Post
Exactly what I was talking about. I try to add to the conversation so we'll have something to talk about and you act like the average poster in ST. Bravo, Derr... bravo.

There's a difference between critiquing (thanks CP, Gold) and being an immature nay-sayer (see: Derr) when a topic is brought up. I don't mind critiques, but it's the stuff like Derr's comment that bothers me.
Ok, jeez, I'm sorry. I thought I was toning it down. I wasn't trying to insult you, I was being honest. How's this?

I can see various thematic elements in that tale that coincide perfectly with the common vernacular standard for a 'campfire ghost story'. Non-specific details, various accounts of poltergeist activity, objects appearing out of thing air, the whole 'dark and stormy night' visage. Combine all that with the uniquely Christian perspective and 'Jesus encounter' ending and it leads me to the conclusion that this tale is exactly the kind of 'campfire ghost story' that would be told at a church camp.

Better?
__________________
::Derr's Epic Ride::

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Derr is offline  
Old 07-01-2007, 04:04 PM #20
Derr
•THE EDITOR•
 
Derr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdanman View Post
you ever completely kill an entire field of players on a run through and not remember a THING like 5 minutes after? happens to me every time.
Psycho....
__________________
::Derr's Epic Ride::

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Derr is offline  
Old 07-01-2007, 08:08 PM #21
IoNxRoCkEr
Voice of the Soul
 
IoNxRoCkEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: LSU
Annual Supporting Member
IoNxRoCkEr is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
IoNxRoCkEr is Legendary
when my brother and I were younger, we were swimming in the ocean, under the not-so-careful supervision of my aunt and we ended up drifting way past the shark nets,as we sat there,looking at the ants on the shoreline and wondering how long the floaty would hold us b/c it seemed like it was loosing air, we were praying and one of those lounge rafts, randomly floated to us, we were at least 100 yards from anyone else, surfers came and got us like 5 mins later and asked us where we got the other raft from,call it luck or whatever
__________________
NCAA Thread-Come feel the hate
IoNxRoCkEr is offline  
 




Posting Rules
Forum Jump