Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2007, 09:16 PM #43
Dylan RRPB2 (Banned)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic.paintball View Post
One of the most influential studies on the genetics of homosexuality was done by Dean Hamer and his co-workers at the National Cancer Institute in Washington DC (1993). Hamer's research involved studying thirty-two pairs of brothers who were either "exclusively or mostly" homosexual. None of the sets of brothers were related. Of the thirty-two pairs, Hamer and his colleagues found that two-thirds of them (twenty-two of the sets of brothers) shared the same type of genetic material. This strongly supports the hypothesis that there is an existing gene that influences homosexuality (4). Hamer then looked closely at the DNA of these gay brothers to try and find the region of the X chromosome (since the earlier research suggested that the gene was passed down maternally) that most of the homosexual brothers shared. He discovered that homosexual brothers have a much higher likelihood of inheriting the same genetic sequence on the region of the X chromosome identified by Xq28, than heterosexual brothers of the same gay men.
But what about the other 10 pair of brothers? Is it possible that being gay includes genetics and how you were raised?
Dylan RRPB2 is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2007, 10:08 PM #44
warbeak2099
That is my foot!
 
warbeak2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wouldn't u like to know!
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan RRPB2 View Post
But what about the other 10 pair of brothers? Is it possible that being gay includes genetics and how you were raised?
Yes. It is possible that environmental factors contribute to a person's sexual orientation. However, the genetic predisposition must already be there. It is a combination of both in many cases. In other cases, the trait is much stronger and does not require any conditioning or environmental augmentation to become pronounced.
__________________
US Navy Baller
UL'd 07 PMR F/S, PM me if interested!
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline  
Old 06-28-2007, 10:23 PM #45
Dylan RRPB2 (Banned)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
Yes. It is possible that environmental factors contribute to a person's sexual orientation. However, the genetic predisposition must already be there. It is a combination of both in many cases. In other cases, the trait is much stronger and does not require any conditioning or environmental augmentation to become pronounced.
Ok so now we have come to the conclusion that both play a factor, is it a sin to be a homosexual?
Dylan RRPB2 is offline  
Old 06-28-2007, 10:36 PM #46
green paint2
/-/<
 
green paint2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan RRPB2 View Post
Ok, well first off, I am going to say I expect better from you. If you read the article, it talks about certain aspects of your body that are most likely to differ if you are gay.

If you read it, it tells you that "If your ring finger is longer than your index finger, you are less likely to be gay"

All these guys did was, got a bunch of gay guys together and found out something that they all had in common. That is not proven, or at least yet. If it was proven that what you said earlier...



is true, and you provided a valid source specifically saying that, than what would be arguing over?
What you say? A common trait?

Well I'll be damned if anything has ever been proven by patterns and similar characteristics!

You'll never glean anything worthwhile if you don't open your mind to ideas outside of your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan
Ok so now we have come to the conclusion that both play a factor, is it a sin to be a homosexual?
Is it a sin to be born with a deformity? Or how about to be born with above average intelligence? Doesn't make a lot of sense for something to be a sin if it is out of your control to change it.
__________________
My Feedback
I tried to ghost ride my whip but I hit a tree.

Last edited by green paint2 : 06-28-2007 at 10:39 PM.
green paint2 is offline  
Old 06-28-2007, 10:48 PM #47
warbeak2099
That is my foot!
 
warbeak2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wouldn't u like to know!
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan RRPB2 View Post
Ok so now we have come to the conclusion that both play a factor, is it a sin to be a homosexual?
It doesn't make much sense for it to be a sin. Environmental factors can only be an influence if the genetic/biological predisposition is already there. That is out of a person's control. You cannot choose to be homosexual anymore than you can choose to be left handed or blonde.
__________________
US Navy Baller
UL'd 07 PMR F/S, PM me if interested!
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline  
Old 06-28-2007, 10:57 PM #48
skpaintball
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: so cal <O.C.>
 has been a member for 10 years
"two-thirds of them (twenty-two of the sets of brothers) shared the same type of genetic material."

Everyone has the same type of genetic material...

And may I point out that a MAJOR hole in the study is lack of a control group (ultra-Dodgy). Hence the study is not even close to strongly supporting the discredited hypothesis of the fallacious "Xq28 gene" claim.
__________________
feedback
skpaintball is offline  
Old 06-28-2007, 11:02 PM #49
green paint2
/-/<
 
green paint2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by skpaintball View Post
"two-thirds of them (twenty-two of the sets of brothers) shared the same type of genetic material."

Everyone has the same type of genetic material...

And may I point out that a MAJOR hole in the study is lack of a control group (ultra-Dodgy). Hence the study is not even close to strongly supporting the discredited hypothesis of the fallacious "Xq28 gene" claim.
And you really believe that paragraph contains all the data gathered by that study?

Everyone does NOT have the same exact genetic makeup. Evolutionary studies show us that.
__________________
My Feedback
I tried to ghost ride my whip but I hit a tree.
green paint2 is offline  
Old 06-29-2007, 12:29 AM #50
skpaintball
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: so cal <O.C.>
 has been a member for 10 years
??? Of course everyone doesn't have the same exact genetic makeup. but what does this have to do with what I pointed out? type of genetic material and genetic makeup does not equate to the same thing.

Maybe you should read up on the purpose of control groups and on the side, delve into an appetizer of a linked genes entree. The study is nothing but sketchy at best.

And just because an experiment is quoted does not mean it is a GOOD one.
__________________
feedback
skpaintball is offline  
Old 06-29-2007, 12:50 AM #51
Mike Sendker
Future Liberator
 
Mike Sendker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Dude, the Science may still not be completely in, but before sentencing gays to death because you think its a "choice", then why not give them the benefit of the doubt, something american philosophy is supposed to teach us. Until you can prove them guilty of choosing, theyre innocent. And even if it is a choice, How the **** does that hurt you? I mean seriously. Sorry to swear, but it just pisses me off.
__________________
We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed now in universities, looking uncomfortably to the world we inherit.
Mike Sendker is offline  
Old 06-29-2007, 12:56 AM #52
Dylan RRPB2 (Banned)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sendker View Post
Dude, the Science may still not be completely in, but before sentencing gays to death because you think its a "choice", then why not give them the benefit of the doubt, something american philosophy is supposed to teach us. Until you can prove them guilty of choosing, theyre innocent. And even if it is a choice, How the **** does that hurt you? I mean seriously. Sorry to swear, but it just pisses me off.
even if its a choice, i still want nicole to give her response on homosexuality
Dylan RRPB2 is offline  
Old 06-29-2007, 04:20 AM #53
Derr
•THE EDITOR•
 
Derr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenman View Post
Where does everyone get that "mans" science is an irrefutable fact, man is flawed. Not one man is perfect and most science "facts" a thousand years ago are NO longer fact. Science fact today will again be disproved by man and his current set of values, knowledge and beliefs. The Bible is the bible, foretold and fulfilled with wittings and archeological history interwoven. Taken with faith you can do miracles!
The irony here is incredible. Science had its beginings in religion. Men of religion were the first people to start scientific inquiry. If anything, science if the fault of fundamental religious attitudes. Atheism came from scientific endeavor; the result of a long historical necessity to prove god. Put into context, fundamental belief in a deity plus the natural evolutionary trait of curiosity in humans gave rise to scientific endeavor. As science progressed and humanity became more intelligent, scientific thought gave rise to atheism - the natural course of human mental evolution. Give it another thousand years and we will regard your Bible on the same level as the plays of Shakespeare and Christianity with the likes of Greco-Roman theology.

Taken with water, ibuprofin will have anti-inflamatory effects.
__________________
::Derr's Epic Ride::

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Derr is offline  
Old 06-29-2007, 09:37 AM #54
NicoleW
 
 
NicoleW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Buffalo, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan RRPB2 View Post
even if its a choice, i still want nicole to give her response on homosexuality
Sorry, here I am. I believe whether a person is born gay or chooses to be gay is irrelevant. I have an attraction to men. I don't know if you could point to something in my genetic makeup that could account for this attraction, but regardless. I have a choice as to what I want to do with that attraction. I have a choice about what I want to do with my sexuality. Just because I am attracted to men, does that permit me to engage in all sorts of behavior with then because I was born that way? Does that excuse premarital sex, does that excuse cheating on my husband, does that excuse being promiscous and sleeping with tons of guys? No, it does not.

I have a B.A. in clinical psychology from Canisius College and I graduated Summa Cume Laude (with highest honors). We studied the origins of homosexuality from a biological and psychological standpoint in 2 of my courses; Sex, Evolution and Behavior & Reproductive Biopsychology. Though they found that SOME homosexuals had a smaller brain comparable to women and they found that SOME mothers of homosexuals had extrememly high stress levels during pregnancy, we also found that over 1/3rd of lesbians admitted to being sexually abused or raped when younger, we also found that in the majority of cases, the same sex parent was absent in the home. We DID NOT find a gene that accounted for sexual oreintation. If anything, it is a combination of factors and anyone who tells you that they are 100% born that way or that they all choose to be that way is flat out WRONG and they do not have the studies to back either claim. If anything, we only know half of the story on homosexuality and anyone who tries to make definative statements with that is fooling themselves.

But the whole point is, what does it matter? We all have the ability to choose, whether we have certain biological predispositions or not. For example, in one of my courses, we found that men who were in jail for molestation and sexual abuse crimes had extremely high levels of testosterone as compared to the average male. You would almost think, "Well, they couldn't help it. They were born that way." Even if that were true, does it excuse their behavior. Another thing to consider with things such as this is, which came first, the chicken or the egg? Did them engaging in these acts of abuse cause a rise in their testosterone level or did the testosterone level cause the abuse. Basically, did the behavior have an effect on the hormones or did the hormones have an effect on the behavior? We still don't know and the same could be said for homosexuality.

So, thats my two cents for now. But I am going to post a thing or two for you on this to consider
NicoleW is offline  
Old 06-29-2007, 09:40 AM #55
NicoleW
 
 
NicoleW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Buffalo, New York
Ok, here is the first:

Quote:
Q. What causes homosexuality? If it's genetic, is it okay to be gay if you're born that way?

A. The causes of homosexuality are not fully understood, and many people who struggle with the temptations do not choose or want them.

There has been much debate over the issue of nature versus nurture, but scientists have been unable to find a genetic cause for homosexuality. Dr. Dean Hamer (who coined the phrase "gay gene") said, "We have not found the gene--which we don't think exists--for sexual orientation."(1) Another recent study concluded, "Critical review shows the evidence favoring a biologic (genetic) theory to be lacking."(2)

There may be genetic factors that have yet to be discovered, but the development of homosexual desires often appears rooted in an individual's upbringing.(3) In my research and ministry, I have frequently encountered the following four issues related to the onset of homosexual attractions.

One: The same-sex parent was often emotionally or physically absent in the home of those who struggle with homosexuality. For example, in the case of a young man, the absence of a father may lead to feelings of inferiority or rejection by peers when it comes to athletic endeavors with the other guys.

Two: Sometimes a parent is sexually abusive. For example, a child who was sexually abused by a member of the same sex can become confused about his or her sexual orientation. Or, abuse from a member of the opposite sex can make members of one's own gender more appealing. When a man abuses a girl, she may subconsciously think, "Men must all be like you, and no man will do that to me! I don't want to be hurt that way again." At times, homosexuality becomes a shield for the heart and a sort of haven to escape the hurt of abusive relationships. It is understandable that a person hurt in the past would want to avoid future relationships that cause pain--and pain is all a person may know from the opposite sex. For example, one young woman wrote, "I haven't had the best history with guys. I guess you could say I was 'taken advantage of.' So, because at the age of 13 I was so confused about everything. By 14 I was a total **** and doing horrible things to myself. By 15, I was even more insecure and starting to realize I really don't like guys, what a shock. By 16 I was pretty convinced I didn't want to be with guys practically ever. Now I'm 17 and I know I can never be with guys. I am a total lesbian."

Three: Sometime the opposite-sex parent is too enmeshed in the life of the child. For example, a mother and son can rely too exclusively on one another for needs that should be met elsewhere. This can contribute to gender identity confusion in the child.

Four: It is common that as a young man matures he will seek to identify with what is masculine. Sometimes this desire to identify with a guy who is particularly masculine may be confused with the onset of homosexuality. If a young man acts on this and begins to explore homosexuality, he may gradually come to believe that his orientation is homosexual. But the attraction may have been there simply because the other guy possessed a masculinity that the young man admired and feared that he lacked.

This admiration of a member of the same sex is not uncommon during adolescence, for women as well as men. During this time, young people are trying to discover who they are. They often go through a maturing process that moves them from a strong interest in same-sex friendships to a primary interest in opposite-sex relationships. It is not unusual for adolescents to feel confusion in the midst of their rapid sexual development, identity search, and maturing of interests.

Let us assume for the sake of argument that people are born homosexual and that is their orientation. Does this mean they should be free to indulge in homosexual behavior? As a young man, I could claim that I am genetically wired to desire premarital sex. Some men claim to be disposed toward incest or child molestation. But just because a person has certain desires, this does not mean that it is moral to act on those urges.
________________________________________
1. R. McKie, "The Myth of the Gay Gene," The Press NZ, 30 July 1993, 9. As quoted by Neil and Briar Whitehead, My Genes Made Me Do It! (Lafayette, Louisiana: Huntington House Publishers, 1999), 135.
2. W. Byne and B. Parsons, "Human Sexual Orientation: The Biological Theories Reappraised," Archives of General Psychiatry 50 (1993): 228–239; "Gay Genes Revisited," Scientific American, November 1995, 26. As quoted by Wetzel, Sexual Wisdom, 155.
3. E. Moberly, Homosexuality: A New Christian Ethic (Cambridge: James Clarke, 1983); G. van den Aardweg, On the Origins and Treatment of Homosexuality: A Psychoanalytic Reinterpretation (Westport, Connecticut: Praeger, 1986). As quoted by Wetzel, Sexual Wisdom, 156.
NicoleW is offline  
Old 06-29-2007, 09:42 AM #56
NicoleW
 
 
NicoleW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Buffalo, New York
Now let me post this too so that we all know that regardless of its origens, we should treat all people with respect and dignity. We should never make fun of people with homosexual tendencies and although we may not like their behavior, we are to love the person!!!

Quote:
Q. I go to an all-guys school, and my friends and I sometimes make fun of effeminate guys. Is that wrong?

A. Yes. In fact, it is a sign of male insecurity for a guy to tear down other men in order to establish his masculinity. A real man is able to love those who struggle with homosexuality. I went to an all-guys high school as well, and I took part in mocking guys who were effeminate. Our jokes, mannerisms, and voice impersonations were a constant announcement to the world that none of us understood manhood yet. Lurking under the mockery, though, was the knowledge that we would be scared to death if any of us had to carry that cross.

In the future, refuse to take part in such behavior. Whatever we have done to another, we have done to Christ himself (Matt. 25:31–46). To make up for it, offer some prayers for those who you may have hurt. Even better, seek them out and ask their forgiveness. If you want to prove your manliness, that's how to do it.
NicoleW is offline  
Old 06-29-2007, 09:48 AM #57
paintballcole
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
suppose Christianity was IMPOSSIBLE to live by FAITHFULLY

suppose that is the idea.

Personally, I believe that noone can live up to the standards that God has set for the human race. One can try, but there is just too much to take into consideration.

I think that the perfection that one can achieve in life is that one strives for perfection. The only man to live up to Gods standards, was Yeshua of Nazareth, yet he was also Divine in nature.

By recognizing our faults, and striving for perfection in God's eyes, how is that not perfect????



NICOLEW, you always make good posts. If I wasn't so lazy, i would be posting the exact same things!!!!


I didn't cover alot, but that is one belief that I have. What do you guys think?
__________________
"Originally posted by ipostPORN: i saw a dog get hit by a car yesterday i laughed an said cats ftw"

"Originally posted by .The_Walrus.: Neither, through an elaborate space time paradox, we are both now dating Wookies"

Last edited by paintballcole : 06-29-2007 at 09:51 AM.
paintballcole is offline  
Old 06-29-2007, 09:49 AM #58
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleW View Post
...I believe whether a person is born gay or chooses to be gay is irrelevant. ...

...If anything, it is a combination of factors and anyone who tells you that they are 100% born that way or that they all choose to be that way is flat out WRONG and they do not have the studies to back either claim. If anything, we only know half of the story on homosexuality and anyone who tries to make definitive statements with that is fooling themselves.

...what does it matter? We all have the ability to choose, whether we have certain biological predispositions or not. ...Basically, did the behavior have an effect on the hormones or did the hormones have an effect on the behavior? We still don't know and the same could be said for homosexuality.

So, thats my two cents for now. But I am going to post a thing or two for you on this to consider
wow, and agreed. I have made nearly exactly the same posts in other threads. good stuff Maynard, uhmmm I mean Nicole,
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 06-29-2007, 09:54 AM #59
Dylan RRPB2 (Banned)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 727
WEll than is it a sin to be a homosexual?
Dylan RRPB2 is offline  
Old 06-29-2007, 10:06 AM #60
NicoleW
 
 
NicoleW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Buffalo, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan RRPB2 View Post
WEll than is it a sin to be a homosexual?
It is not a sin to have homosexual tendencies or attractions. Just because someone may have certain desires does not make them sinful. It is what a person does with those attractions or desires that could lead one to sin. People are subject to a wide variety of sinful desires over which they have little direct control, but these do not become sinful until a person acts upon them, either by acting out the desire or by encouraging the desire and deliberately engaging in fantasies about acting it out. People tempted by homosexual desires, like people tempted by improper heterosexual desires, are not sinning until they act upon those desires in some manner.

Edit: So is it a sin to be homosexual? It depends what homosexual means to you. If you are referring to having an attraction to the same sex then no, being a homosexual is not a sin. But if you are referring to engaging in homosexual behavior then yes, those actions would be considered sinful.
NicoleW is offline  
Old 06-29-2007, 10:17 AM #61
Dylan RRPB2 (Banned)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleW View Post
It is not a sin to have homosexual tendencies or attractions. Just because someone may have certain desires does not make them sinful. It is what a person does with those attractions or desires that could lead one to sin. People are subject to a wide variety of sinful desires over which they have little direct control, but these do not become sinful until a person acts upon them, either by acting out the desire or by encouraging the desire and deliberately engaging in fantasies about acting it out. People tempted by homosexual desires, like people tempted by improper heterosexual desires, are not sinning until they act upon those desires in some manner.

Edit: So is it a sin to be homosexual? It depends what homosexual means to you. If you are referring to having an attraction to the same sex then no, being a homosexual is not a sin. But if you are referring to engaging in homosexual behavior then yes, those actions would be considered sinful.

Ok but what if two homosexuals got married is that a sin? and what if they participated in intercourse after?
Dylan RRPB2 is offline  
Old 06-29-2007, 10:20 AM #62
NicoleW
 
 
NicoleW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Buffalo, New York
Here, I will take the opportunity to post a few more things on this topic since it appears Dylan that you do happen to read alot...which says a great deal about you. Thanks for taking the time out to actually care about what people have to say

Ok, so lets look at the issue of homosexuality from a couple different points of view, not saying that any one way to look at it is right. But let me first say, the religious stuff is coming from a Catholic POv so don't get all bent out of shape that I included the Church's teachings on the matter. If you are not religious, just ignore those points and move on to the other ones. I acknowledge that not everyone on here is christian so if those points are irrelevant to you, then just move on. I just don't want a million posts saying not to bring one's faith into it. You don't have to. But be warned, the first few points are religiois in nature.


Quote:
Divine Law

The rejection of homosexual behavior that is found in the Old Testament is well known. In Genesis 19, two angels in disguise visit the city of Sodom and are offered hospitality and shelter by Lot. During the night, the men of Sodom demand that Lot hand over his guests for homosexual intercourse. Lot refuses, and the angels blind the men of Sodom. Lot and his household escape, and the town is destroyed by fire "because the outcry against its people has become great before the Lord" (Gen. 19:13).

Throughout history, Jewish and Christian scholars have recognized that one of the chief sins involved in God’s destruction of Sodom was its people’s homosexual behavior. But today, certain homosexual activists promote the idea that the sin of Sodom was merely a lack of hospitality. Although inhospitality is a sin, it is clearly the homosexual behavior of the Sodomites that is singled out for special criticism in the account of their city’s destruction. We must look to Scripture’s own interpretation of the sin of Sodom.

Jude 7 records that Sodom and Gomorrah "acted immorally and indulged in unnatural lust." Ezekiel says that Sodom committed "abominable things" (Ezek. 16:50), which could refer to homosexual and heterosexual acts of sin. Lot even offered his two virgin daughters in place of his guests, but the men of Sodom rejected the offer, preferring homosexual sex over heterosexual sex (Gen. 19:8–9). Ezekiel does allude to a lack of hospitality in saying that Sodom "did not aid the poor and needy" (Ezek. 16:49). So homosexual acts and a lack of hospitality both contributed to the destruction of Sodom, with the former being the far greater sin, the "abominable thing" that set off God’s wrath.

But the Sodom incident is not the only time the Old Testament deals with homosexuality. An explicit condemnation is found in the book of Leviticus: "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination. . . . If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death, their blood is upon them" (Lev. 18:22, 20:13).


Reinterpreting Scripture

To discount this, some homosexual activists have argued that moral imperatives from the Old Testament can be dismissed since there were certain ceremonial requirements at the time—such as not eating pork, or circumcising male babies—that are no longer binding.

While the Old Testament’s ceremonial requirements are no longer binding, its moral requirements are. God may issue different ceremonies for use in different times and cultures, but his moral requirements are eternal and are binding on all cultures.

Confirming this fact is the New Testament’s forceful rejection of homosexual behavior as well. In Romans 1, Paul attributes the homosexual desires of some to a refusal to acknowledge and worship God. He says, "For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. Their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural, and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in their own persons the due penalty for their error. And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a base mind and to improper conduct. . . . Though they know God’s decree that those who do such things deserve to die, they not only do them but approve those who practice them" (Rom. 1:26–28, 32).

Elsewhere Paul again warns that homosexual behavior is one of the sins that will deprive one of heaven: "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God" (1 Cor. 6:9–10, NIV).

All of Scripture teaches the unacceptability of homosexual behavior. But the rejection of this behavior is not an arbitrary prohibition. It, like other moral imperatives, is rooted in natural law—the design that God has built into human nature.


Natural Law


People have a basic, ethical intuition that certain behaviors are wrong because they are unnatural. We perceive intuitively that the natural sex partner of a human is another human, not an animal.

The same reasoning applies to the case of homosexual behavior. The natural sex partner for a man is a woman, and the natural sex partner for a woman is a man. Thus, people have the corresponding intuition concerning homosexuality that they do about bestiality—that it is wrong because it is unnatural.

Natural law reasoning is the basis for almost all standard moral intuitions. For example, it is the dignity and value that each human being naturally possesses that makes the needless destruction of human life or infliction of physical and emotional pain immoral. This gives rise to a host of specific moral principles, such as the unacceptability of murder, kidnapping, mutilation, physical and emotional abuse, and so forth.
NicoleW is offline  
Old 06-29-2007, 10:22 AM #63
NicoleW
 
 
NicoleW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Buffalo, New York
Ok, so here are the ones not necessarily dealing with religion. You will find an answer to your question more in this section.

Quote:
"I Was Born This Way"

Many homosexuals argue that they have not chosen their condition, but that they were born that way, making homosexual behavior natural for them.

But because something was not chosen does not mean it was inborn. Some desires are acquired or strengthened by habituation and conditioning instead of by conscious choice. For example, no one chooses to be an alcoholic, but one can become habituated to alcohol. Just as one can acquire alcoholic desires (by repeatedly becoming intoxicated) without consciously choosing them, so one may acquire homosexual desires (by engaging in homosexual fantasies or behavior) without consciously choosing them.

Since sexual desire is subject to a high degree of cognitive conditioning in humans (there is no biological reason why we find certain scents, forms of dress, or forms of underwear sexually stimulating), it would be most unusual if homosexual desires were not subject to a similar degree of cognitive conditioning.

Even if there is a genetic predisposition toward homosexuality (and studies on this point are inconclusive), the behavior remains unnatural because homosexuality is still not part of the natural design of humanity. It does not make homosexual behavior acceptable; other behaviors are not rendered acceptable simply because there may be a genetic predisposition toward them.

For example, scientific studies suggest some people are born with a hereditary disposition to alcoholism, but no one would argue someone ought to fulfill these inborn urges by becoming an alcoholic. Alcoholism is not an acceptable "lifestyle" any more than homosexuality is.


The Ten Percent Argument

Homosexual activists often justify homosexuality by claiming that ten percent of the population is homosexual, meaning that it is a common and thus acceptable behavior.

But not all common behaviors are acceptable, and even if ten percent of the population were born homosexual, this would prove nothing. One hundred percent of the population is born with original sin and the desires flowing from it. If those desires manifest themselves in a homosexual fashion in ten percent of the population, all that does is give us information about the demographics of original sin.

But the fact is that the ten percent figure is false. It stems from the 1948 report by Alfred Kinsey, Sexual Behavior in the Human Male. The study was profoundly flawed, as later psychologists studying sexual behavior have agreed. Kinsey’s subjects were drawn heavily from convicted criminals; 1,400 of his 5,300 final subjects (twenty-six percent) were convicted sex offenders—a group that by definition is not representative of normal sexual practices.

Furthermore, the ten percent figure includes people who are not exclusively homosexual but who only engaged in some homosexual behavior for a period of time and then stopped—people who had gone through a fully or partially homosexual "phase" but who were not long-term homosexuals. (For a critique of Kinsey’s research methods, see Kinsey, Sex, and Fraud, by Dr. Judith Reisman and Edward Eichel [Lafayette, Louisiana: Lochinvar & Huntington House, 1990].)

Recent and more scientifically accurate studies have shown that only around one to two percent of the population is homosexual.


"You’re Just a Homophobe"

Those opposed to homosexual behavior are often charged with "homophobia"—that they hold the position they do because they are "afraid" of homosexuals. Sometimes the charge is even made that these same people are perhaps homosexuals themselves and are overcompensating to hide this fact, even from themselves, by condemning other homosexuals.

Both of these arguments attempt to stop rational discussion of an issue by shifting the focus to one of the participants. In doing so, they dismiss another person’s arguments based on some real or supposed attribute of the person. In this case, the supposed attribute is a fear of homosexuals.

Like similar attempts to avoid rational discussion of an issue, the homophobia argument completely misses the point. Even if a person were afraid of homosexuals, that would not diminish his arguments against their behavior. The fact that a person is afraid of handguns would not nullify arguments against handguns, nor would the fact that a person might be afraid of handgun control diminish arguments against handgun control.

Furthermore, the homophobia charge rings false. The vast majority of those who oppose homosexual behavior are in no way "afraid" of homosexuals. A disagreement is not the same as a fear. One can disagree with something without fearing it, and the attempt to shut down rational discussion by crying "homophobe!" falls flat. It is an attempt to divert attention from the arguments against one’s position by focusing attention on the one who made the arguments, while trying to claim the moral high ground against him.


The Call to Chastity

The modern arguments in favor of homosexuality have thus been insufficient to overcome the evidence that homosexual behavior is against divine and natural law, as the Bible and the Church, as well as the wider circle of Jewish and Christian (not to mention Muslim) writers, have always held.

The Catholic Church thus teaches: "Basing itself on sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered. They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved" (Catechism of the Catholic Church 2357).

However, the Church also acknowledges that "[homosexuality’s] psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. . . . The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s cross the difficulties that they may encounter from their condition.

"Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection" (CCC 2357– 2359).

Paul comfortingly reminds us, "No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your strength, but with the temptation will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it" (1 Cor. 10:13).

Homosexuals who want to live chastely can contact Courage, a national, Church-approved support group for help in deliverance from the homosexual lifestyle.

Courage,
Church of St. John the Baptist
210 W. 31st St., New York, NY 10001

(212) 268–1010
Web: http://couragerc.net
NicoleW is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump