Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-27-2007, 03:37 PM #1
The Foo
Maximum Rate Of Fire

The Foo is a Supporting Member
Akira and the theory of power acquirement

Sitting home last night, I noticed the movie "Akira" on Starz, I haven't seen it in a while so I thought I'd watch it. (Great movie by the way)

For those of you who aren't familiar, I suggest renting.

(Plot Overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akira_%28film%29)

A central theme reflected in key dialogue exchanges concerns evolution[3] — human, social, and technological — and the dangers inherent in mankind's quest to a virtual godhood by the development of tools which defy control.[4] Alongside the more blatant visual cues in depictions of civil implosion and de facto nuclear annihilation, its cautionary message is distilled in exposition that Kei delivers (while channeling an esper girl) to Kaneda when they are imprisoned in a detention cell: Everything, including human invention, owes its existence to an earlier form; the concept of collective unconsciousness is extrapolated into a theory of cosmic memory whose participants, through accident of experimentation, have managed to misappropriate power intended for more advanced stages of evolutionary development.

After the movie I thought about this for a while. The idea is that at some stage of life, the current organisms awaken / discover / exploit the cosmic memory and gain the knowledge AND OR power that was designed for future organisms. The movie gave an example of "an amoeba acquiring the powers of a human."

This disrupts the normal flow of the dimensions, as organisms develop by gradually obtaining knowledge that they can handle at their current stage of development. This helps further advance them gradually. Yet by some flaw, occasionally an error will occur and organisms will obtain abilities, designated by the cosmic memory for much future generations, and obtain a status that will seem god-like to the current surrounding organisms.

Interesting concept?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2007, 04:07 PM #2
Ari Shaffir (Banned)

Not even an interesting movie.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:25 PM #3
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

^The critics disagree with your plebian attitude.

Sounds good, sign me up.

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Old 06-27-2007, 07:11 PM #4
Mastermind26
We are moons

Mastermind26 is a Supporting Member
Excellent film, interesting concepts. That is all.

CK member #04 (???)
Old 06-27-2007, 08:31 PM #5
MtL1504 (Banned)

Interesting concept, yes.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:06 AM #6
Hero
Stashy Pow Brah

Hero is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Hero plays in the PSP
Hero plays in the APPA D3 division
The movie was a giant leap in Anime in general. When it was released , and to this date, has it recieved great reviews.

Yet the movie can be interpreted in multiple...multiple...Ways. I like yours, But the Anti-Government/Opression/Rebellion side of the movie was more appealing to me.

This thread prolly belongs in the movies/tv forum.