cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah

cryptic.paintball plays in the APPA beginner division
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
Animal-human embryos need human rights, bishops say

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuters
LONDON (Reuters) - Hybrid animal-human embryos created for medical research should be viewed as human and permitted to develop into children, Roman Catholic bishops have urged the British parliament.

Scientists want to use the hybrid embryos -- known as "chimeras" after the mythical half-man, half-animal creatures -- to understand better and find cures for illnesses such as Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and cystic fibrosis.

Under draft legislation to be debated in the British parliament this year, the chimeras would have to be destroyed within 14 days and it would be against the law to implant them in a woman's womb.

But Catholic bishops of England and Wales want women to have the right to bear the chimeras, which would be more than 99 percent human, as their own children, they told a parliamentary committee examining the legislation on Tuesday.

In their submission to the committee, the bishops said:

"It should not be a crime to transfer them, or other human embryos, to the body of the woman providing the ovum, in cases where a human ovum has been used to create them."

"Such a woman is the genetic mother, or partial mother, of the embryo; should she have a change of heart and wish to carry her child to term, she should not be prevented from doing so."

Scientists, who have been pushing for approval of hybrid embryos because of a shortage of human eggs for research, said the bishops misunderstood the science.

"If we are using cow eggs, there is no woman involved," Dr Stephen Minger, stem cell researcher at Kings College in London, told Reuters on Wednesday.

Eggs from animals, such as cows or sheep, would be stripped of their nuclear and species identity, he said. Human cells would then be placed in the empty egg vessels, creating stem cell lines for research.

"Using non-human eggs is really just a pragmatic way of accelerating the pace of research," Minger said.

"And we think it is more ethically justified to use non-human eggs rather than ask women to donate for research that is still very much in its infancy."

Britain is a leading centre for stem cell research, attracting scientists with a permissive environment that allows embryo studies within strict guidelines. The government has appointed a committee of legislators to recommend the best way to allow hybrid embryo research.

The bishops said they opposed creating embryos purely for research, but wanted to minimize harm to such life once created.
http://www.reuters.com/article/topNe...S&pageNumber=2

I find this funny
Old 06-27-2007, 10:32 AM #2
NicoleW

I'm a little confused as to what is actually going on with these animal embryos. Could you explain it to me?

I agree with this statement though:
"The bishops said they opposed creating embryos purely for research, but wanted to minimize harm to such life once created."

I don't agree with creating new life just to destroy it but once it is created, I think it needs to be treated with respect and dignity (human life, that is). Which I am not quite sure what is being created in these chimeras. Thats what I'm confused about.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:59 AM #3
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah

They are harvesting animal embryo's, already in existence, stripping the genetic material that makes it a cow, pig, etc and using human cells(not embryotic)to create stem cells.

The bishop thought they were using human eggs, and wanted the option of having a woman carry the human/animal hybrid to term if they wanted to.

Scary thought huh?
Old 06-27-2007, 11:17 AM #4
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

has been a member for 10 years
Lol he thought they were developing babies?
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
Old 06-27-2007, 11:24 AM #5
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
Lol he thought they were developing babies?
I would love see what it would look like
Old 06-27-2007, 11:30 AM #6
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic.paintball View Post
I would love see what it would look like
Hahahaha, mutants! Quick my children to the Blackbird! Storm, give us some cover while Scott flies the plane!
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
Old 06-27-2007, 11:36 AM #7
NicoleW

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
Hahahaha, mutants! Quick my children to the Blackbird! Storm, give us some cover while Scott flies the plane!
I'm a loser but I love X-men. I actually love all the Marvel comic strips. Anything with cool powers, actually
Old 06-27-2007, 11:40 AM #8
NicoleW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic.paintball View Post
They are harvesting animal embryo's, already in existence, stripping the genetic material that makes it a cow, pig, etc and using human cells(not embryotic)to create stem cells.

The bishop thought they were using human eggs, and wanted the option of having a woman carry the human/animal hybrid to term if they wanted to.

Scary thought huh?
Ok, human cells. Like adult stem cells or something? Dosen't kill the human to obtain the cells though, right? If not, I'm cool with that.

Yeah, the bishops can put out statements but its not binding on Catholics unless it is from the bishops in union with the pope.

Yeah, that would be scary if we messed with science so much that we were creating half human/ half animal people/things/I don't know? That would be a big moral dilema.