PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-26-2007, 06:28 PM #1
skela9 (Banned)

Letters From Iwo Jima

I just finished watching Letters from Iwo Jima directed by Clint Eastwood who I thought would've made it about the same rate as Flags of our Fathers.This movie really blew away my expectations and I am going to admit it,the music in some of the scenes made my tear up.I was controlling everything I could but yet I still managed to cry.

SPOILER WARNING

The part where the Japanese General kills himself was immensely thought out and very well acted what with his last words and the couple of scenes where he was writing to his wife.

/SPOILER WARNING

This movie truly outdid itself and therefore I think is one of the most prolific wartime movies ever made.
This movie gave me a whole new version to what the Japanese were going through and not just with me thinking in Flags of our Fathers "kill those dirty japs".I finally understand the battle these men were going through and their honor,dignity and their moral through impossible odds to beat an enemy who was by far much bigger than they.I really cannot stress how much this movie has changed my life.I think of a whole new different way to think of things.

I give this movie an 100% for the great directing of Clint Eastwood and the superb acting of Ken Watanabe who played the Japanese General and the young man Kazunari Ninomiya who played Saigo.

I really advise that many of you watch this movie as you will fall before it.

Last edited by skela9 : 06-26-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2007, 07:05 PM #2
violentmonkey

wow, i think im gonna go check it out
Old 06-26-2007, 07:09 PM #3
_V_ (Banned)
Secede.

Once of the most depressing movies ever IMO. Very good though. The music was perfect.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:18 PM #4
skela9 (Banned)

Yes it is one of the most depressing.I cried.Thats how sad and I,do NOT cry unless its something from very saddening
Old 06-26-2007, 07:27 PM #5
WorldStrike
PBN's Dick

WorldStrike supports Bob Gurnsey
WorldStrike posts videos on PbNation
WorldStrike has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
WorldStrike has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I watched this movie about 3 weeks ago, and I too was blown away. It was a bit sad just because of how loyal they are to their country, and how that loyalty and the loyalty to their families tear them in two different directions. Immensely well acted and scripted. I think the subtitles added to the movie.

Also, I loved how Eastwood did such a good job with tearing your loyalties in two different directions. When the Americans landed and you saw the Japanese fighting them, you got a terrible urge to cheer for the Japanese side. I was amazed at how much that battle was waging in my own mind the entire movie.

The only problem I found was that I wasn't too great at keeping the Japanese characters straight. I knew the general and all of the major characters, but they'd start listing other corporals and sergeants who I couldn't keep straight.

Also, I didn't have such a great time with recognizing characters. Most Japanese soldiers looked the same to me, so I was constantly asking myself if I was thinking of the right character.

However, both of those are flaws of a personal issue. The movie itself was spectacular.
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for

Last edited by WorldStrike : 06-26-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:33 PM #6
skela9 (Banned)

I had the same problem but I kinda looked over it.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:29 PM #7
dead_milkman
Manhattan Project

is it like flags of our fathers? Cause i think that movie sucked. It wasnt interesting at all.

These were the decisions you said you could handle,
This was the moment you said you were ready for,
So the unexpected doesn't appease me.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:22 AM #8
skela9 (Banned)

No,I indeed though flags of our fathers was a bit on the boring side.But in this is just uplifts you into something else into what is something majestic and very very real.As said before you see the Japanese side of the story and their loyalties sent to their countries and their families.You will feel very anguished to watch something as historical as this.The music at the end adds alot to it.I very very reccomend you watch this as its on a whole new level than Flags Of Our Fathers
Old 06-28-2007, 06:10 PM #9
HungarianPB
hitler88 is sexy

This movie was much better than Flags of our Father's.

If you didn't have prior knowledge of the famous picture on Iwo, the movie would have been boring and made little sense. It was a good movie, but it did not have the theatrical value of Letters.

"Originally posted by olio;27438259: People like you just don't deserve to live at all. You are a skid-mark on the white underwear of society, you should consider ending your existance today."

żGot Doubt?"
PBNation Agnostic #5
Old 06-28-2007, 07:47 PM #10
Autococker_Penguin
The Streets

I got it for my dad for Fathers Day, and we both agreed it was very good. It showed how some of the officers' loyalty to their country ****ed up any chance of their winning that battle, or the war for that matter. The scene where their squad all commits suicide with grenades and the officer shoots himself was genius, if such a word could be used to describe something so ****ed.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:46 PM #11
InspectorChao

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_milkman View Post
is it like flags of our fathers? Cause i think that movie sucked. It wasnt interesting at all.
Well, some of the battle scenes are similiar. I noticed battle footage that was in Flags of our Fathers was exactly the same that was in Letters from Iwo Jima.

But anyways, of course they're similiar... it's about the same event directed by the same director.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:23 PM #12
Hostile|hF
evolvstudios.com

Hostile|hF owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Hostile|hF has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I had prior knowledge of the picture but Flags of our Fathers jumped around WAY too much. That's why i decided to never watch Letters from Iwo Jima. I didn't want to have to sit through another movie trying to figure out where i'm at and there wasn't enough action to keep me entertained by the battle scenes.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:27 AM #13
Matt 23

Matt 23 helped look for balloons
it has subtitles right.

I hate having to always look down and read wtf they say its very irritating.

**** it
Old 06-29-2007, 05:46 PM #14
skela9 (Banned)

Well,on some TV's you can just put the subtitles at the top of the screen But in any instance in my case I have the same problem but I was entranced after the first 30 minutes that I personally didn't care about it cause it had lot more meaning.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:52 PM #15
mgsboy
icwutudidthar

I bought it because I'm huge history fan, and I love war movies. It was actually very good. I'm surprised it didn't cause much stir theaters.

9/10 in my book, for a well thought out film.

"Originally posted by nflvikings: Because gays are responsible for teenage pregnancy. DONT YOU SEE!?"