Ken Ham Sued - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

 
Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-24-2007, 03:36 AM #1
KyPaintBawler (Banned)
**** Off!
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fairdale, Ky ~FHS~
Ken Ham Sued

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...WS01/706230447
Quote:
Creation Museum leader sued

Associated Press



SYDNEY, Australia — An Australian evangelical group has filed a suit against the founder of the Kentucky-based Creation Museum alleging he stole subscribers away from its magazines.

The lawsuit, filed in the Queensland state Supreme Court on May 31, alleges that Ken Ham and his evangelical group, Answers in Genesis, violated a 1993 agreement to distribute two magazines produced by the Australian-based Creation Ministries International.

The court papers allege Ham used a database containing the names and addresses of 39,000 subscribers to the two Australian-produced magazines -- "Creation Magazine" and "The Journal of Creation" -- to distribute his own magazine, "Answers," in December 2005.

The Creation Museum, in Northern Kentucky, tells a biblical version of the Earth's history, asserting that the planet is just a few thousand years old and rejecting scientific theories of evolution.

Answers in Genesis, based in Petersburg, Ky., declined to comment on the suit, but issued a statement that said the accusations "are baseless and without merit."

"Their decision to litigate this dispute ... is at best troubling, and is contrary to the biblical standard for Christians in handling disputes with other Christians," the statement said.

The complaint alleges that Ham and his company "automatically switched subscribers to the magazines to 'Answers' without the agreement or the consent of the … plaintiff."

Further, Ham "failed to give United States-based and Australian-based subscribers to the magazines a true choice or election between continuing their subscriptions to either or both of the magazines or switching to a comparable publication," the Australian group said.

Creation Ministries International is seeking unspecified damages and full legal costs. It also is seeking an injunction to stop Ham, who was born in Australia and moved to the United States in 1987, from using the distribution list to promote his own magazine.

The Queensland state Supreme Court has not said whether it will hear the claim.
I wouldn't have posted this, but this quote kills me:

Quote:
"Their decision to litigate this dispute ... is at best troubling, and is contrary to the biblical standard for Christians in handling disputes with other Christians," the statement said.
Wait, the bible has different ways of handling disputes with Christians vs Non-Christians? Aren't you supposed to treat everyone with equal respect?
KyPaintBawler is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2007, 05:34 AM #2
paintballcole
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
The Bible has no control over legal matters. Only that one is to tell the truth.
__________________
"Originally posted by ipostPORN: i saw a dog get hit by a car yesterday i laughed an said cats ftw"

"Originally posted by .The_Walrus.: Neither, through an elaborate space time paradox, we are both now dating Wookies"
paintballcole is offline  
Old 06-24-2007, 09:40 AM #3
fainerbainer
CK
 
fainerbainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northwest
fainerbainer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Actually there is scripture on how Christians should handle LEGAL matters in Corinthians.


1 Corinthians 6
Lawsuits Among Believers
1If any of you has a dispute with another, dare he take it before the ungodly for judgment instead of before the saints? 2Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? 3Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life! 4Therefore, if you have disputes about such matters, appoint as judges even men of little account in the church![a] 5I say this to shame you. Is it possible that there is nobody among you wise enough to judge a dispute between believers? 6But instead, one brother goes to law against another—and this in front of unbelievers!
7The very fact that you have lawsuits among you means you have been completely defeated already. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be cheated? 8Instead, you yourselves cheat and do wrong, and you do this to your brothers.
9Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.


So they are correct in saying, "Biblically their first step isn't taking us to the judicial system of the world. Why don't they try to work it out with us first."

That's all they are saying, and they have a point Biblically. But if they did "steal" the names from the database and the accusations are correct and Ken Ham does not want to concede (or the other side doesn't) then there has to be justice (Romans says that we should obey the laws of the land). So honestly, they should settle it within the church or within their organizations first and then figure out what to do then.

It's just stupid that the world see Christians fighting over a silly magazine! lol. It comes down to money really! Prolly a little pride that their magazine isn't well read, etc. etc.
fainerbainer is offline  
Old 06-24-2007, 05:20 PM #4
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah
 
cryptic.paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Uniontown Pa
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
The web site "answers in genesis" is there for one reason, to make money. He uses it to sell DVD's, magazines, etc.

It is not there for anything noble or for "truth"
cryptic.paintball is offline  
Old 06-24-2007, 07:49 PM #5
warbeak2099
That is my foot!
 
warbeak2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wouldn't u like to know!
 has been a member for 10 years
*Grabs popcorn and sits back*

Good, let's hope the two organizations destroy each other.
__________________
US Navy Baller
UL'd 07 PMR F/S, PM me if interested!
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline  
Old 06-25-2007, 09:46 AM #6
ipoppedtimmy
Tony
 
ipoppedtimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Chapel Hill
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic.paintball View Post
The web site "answers in genesis" is there for one reason, to make money. He uses it to sell DVD's, magazines, etc.

It is not there for anything noble or for "truth"
meh. I think Ken Hamm is there to promote what he sees as the only truth.
__________________
UNC
12/29

Buy my Fender Deluxe Tube Amp!
Buy My Autococker Paintball Package
ipoppedtimmy is offline  
Old 06-25-2007, 11:04 AM #7
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoppedtimmy View Post
meh. I think Ken Hamm is there to promote what he sees as the only truth.
Agreed. I (we) may not agree with him, but I agree with your observation about the site, and response to the other poster.
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 06-25-2007, 11:24 AM #8
Derr
•THE EDITOR•
 
Derr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Morro Bay, CA
http://www.answersingenesis.org/PublicStore/

Yeah, definitely not trying to make a buck. This quack is using the gullibility of Christians (once again! *cough*Kent Hovind*cough*) to maximize his profits.
__________________
::Derr's Epic Ride::

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Derr is offline  
Old 06-25-2007, 01:25 PM #9
warbeak2099
That is my foot!
 
warbeak2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wouldn't u like to know!
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr View Post
http://www.answersingenesis.org/PublicStore/

Yeah, definitely not trying to make a buck. This quack is using the gullibility of Christians (once again! *cough*Kent Hovind*cough*) to maximize his profits.
Oh my god it's like an e-warehouse of propaganda.
__________________
US Navy Baller
UL'd 07 PMR F/S, PM me if interested!
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline  
Old 06-26-2007, 01:18 AM #10
NEp8ntballer
 
 
NEp8ntballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
NEp8ntballer supports our troops
I like when the one guy called the allegations "baseless and without merit." It's too bad that he can't say the same thing about his belief in god.
__________________
best porn thread in ST history by ScorpionShock - I was there 6/7 or 6/8 depending on your timezone

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Official ST Atheists #8


Old Feedback
NEp8ntballer is online now  
Old 06-26-2007, 08:13 AM #11
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr View Post
http://www.answersingenesis.org/PublicStore/

Yeah, definitely not trying to make a buck...
I never said they weren't trying to make a buck. My point is that the MAIN point of the site is to promote what they believe as truth. the initial statement said that the ONE reason was to make money. I disagree with that statement of fact.
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 06-26-2007, 03:41 PM #12
Derr
•THE EDITOR•
 
Derr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
I never said they weren't trying to make a buck. My point is that I believe the MAIN point of the site is to promote what they believe as truth. the initial statement said that the ONE reason was to make money. I disagree with that statement of fact.
It seems the apprentice has become the master. I would make the claim that the MAIN point of most of evangelical internet Christians is to make money. The advocacy of YET does nothing but steal money from gullible Christians while causing a massive 'dumbing down' of their children. I don't understand why you support people like this; they're not Christian. They just tell you they are.

Here's some good advice: look for the good in people instead of the Christian in people and you will find good Christian people.
__________________
::Derr's Epic Ride::

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Derr is offline  
Old 06-26-2007, 03:46 PM #13
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr View Post
It seems the apprentice has become the master. I would make the claim that the MAIN point of most of evangelical internet Christians is to make money. The advocacy of YET does nothing but steal money from gullible Christians while causing a massive 'dumbing down' of their children. I don't understand why you support people like this; they're not Christian. They just tell you they are.

Here's some good advice: look for the good in people instead of the Christian in people and you will find good Christian people.
interesting. when did I say that I support them? I will not judge them to be Christian or NOT, at least not by a website. and again. I disagree with the post I quoted, in that I do not believe that the ONLY purpose of the site is to make a buck.
The post in question - cryptic.paintball posted:
Quote:
The web site "answers in genesis" is there for one reason, to make money. He uses it to sell DVD's, magazines, etc.

It is not there for anything noble or for "truth"
(bold added - mine)
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 06-26-2007, 04:06 PM #14
Derr
•THE EDITOR•
 
Derr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
interesting. when did I say that I support them? I will not judge them to be Christian or NOT, at least not by a website. and again. I disagree with the post I quoted, in that I do not believe that the ONLY purpose of the site is to make a buck.
The post in question - cryptic.paintball posted:
(bold added - mine)
You didn't say support, I did. But you're defending them with positive spin (ie. the MAIN point of the site is to search for the truth) which leads me to one of two natural conclusions: you're playing devil's advocate (doubtful, it's not your style, that's something I would see from Adema) or you support them (in which case I extrapolate to this): the only logical reason for which is because they are Christian. Add to that the fact that you don't know them personally (you probably would've said so if you did by now), you agree with a creationist point of view, and many other Christians defend them for the same reason. There's more to my logic but I won't bore you. Suffice it to say, the evidence points to you having support for them. Case closed.
__________________
::Derr's Epic Ride::

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Derr is offline  
 




Posting Rules
Forum Jump