PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-17-2007, 05:16 PM #463
Mann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitlebug View Post
Got this thread stickied so it doesn't fall off the face of the earth.
I appriciate it. I will try to update it tonight.

My pm box is full again ?!? THEN EMAIL ME.
Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2007, 10:02 PM #464
mooman7777

Mann,
any chance on that standard deviation with respect to the bulls-eye?
mooman7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:15 AM #465
Mann

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooman7777 View Post
Mann,
any chance on that standard deviation with respect to the bulls-eye?
Ill give you the numbers so you can calculate it.

Also remember the bulls eye is not where the marker was aimed. It is the center in respect to the x axis, but is ~ 16" short on the yaxis.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:53 PM #466
Custer-Steve

Custer-Steve helped look for balloons
great science project ;D
Old 09-18-2007, 05:28 PM #467
Mann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custer-Steve View Post
great science project ;D
unfortuently I didnt get to use it for that.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:24 PM #468
noah harper
••E-BRAKE••

noah harper donated to help Peyton Trent
noah harper owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
noah harper supports Team VICIOUS
noah harper supports Bob Gurnsey
noah harper supports Pev's Paintball
noah harper is attending Decay of Nations VI
Question Mr.,Dr.,Sir Mann............

So... if I missed this sorry ... I was wondering about the diff in porting vs. un-ported I just bought the opsgear 18" unported ion fluted sniper barrel and they say it'll shoot 150' I think that's bull but all I want is 125-135 feet to be happy they had an outdoor test video.... Mann tell me what you think????????????

http://opsmedia.net/demos/interceptorbarrel.WMV <----opsgear video

is this 4 real???????
noah harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:52 PM #469
GoodPopTart

It's ashamed he's still not a mod or anything on here with all the time. Another engineer doing his job!
GoodPopTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:01 PM #470
themaxx-captain
-= EZPaintball.com =-

themaxx-captain is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
themaxx-captain supports Cereal Killerz 2
themaxx-captain owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I'm curious about the unported barrel claims because without ports, the paintball physically deforms at the end of the barrel due to the dramatic turbulence change of the outside air. It's my understanding that porting serves as a means to smooth the transition and lower the effect of turbulence when the ball exits the barrel.
themaxx-captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:48 PM #471
GoodPopTart

regardless of the effect of porting. the final product is still the same from the data he provided. the barrels really dont differ that much in accuracy one bit.
GoodPopTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:43 PM #472
sixgig
BEEEEF CAAAAKE!!!

Any data updates?

Im still waiting for this to be complete before i buy a new barrel

FAIR ENUFF
Lone Wolf Paintball
sixgig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:17 PM #473
d1ce

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodPopTart View Post
regardless of the effect of porting. the final product is still the same from the data he provided. the barrels really dont differ that much in accuracy one bit.
This is true. I think you can conclude from this test that the correct paint to bore match and slickness of the bore are the factors when considering accuracy.
d1ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:27 PM #474
blackmagic71

Mann.... you are GOD!!!!!!!!!!
blackmagic71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:47 AM #475
Gibbsinator
Ego5/Ion/Spyder

Gibbsinator owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx-captain View Post
the paintball physically deforms at the end of the barrel due to the dramatic turbulence change of the outside air.
Unless you have seen this actually happen, highly doubt it since a paintball's muzzle velocity is generally over 200mph. That's about equally hard as reading a license plate off a car going 200mph. You can't assume that something happens cause someone thinks it does. There is lots of hype and gimmicks and all sorts of loaded advertising in products.

My bro has a mech cocker, when he bought it, it came with a 12" green annodized, unmilled, unported aluminum barrel. Literally plain, save for the green. It's thick and heavy, has no porting, and no milling.

He's never complained about it. It has shot quite well, for who knows how long. Who made it? I'd like to know, but still don't. Is it a good barrel? I'd definately say so.
-Spyder Classic-
Gibbsinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:57 PM #476
DocR

DocR donated to help Peyton Trent
DocR owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DocR supports Team VICIOUS
Tom Kay did slow motion pictures of paintballs being shot years ago when it was generally said that it was like launching a water balloon more then it being shot like a bullet.

The slow motion pictures showed no deformity from the air hitting the ball or when the ball left the barrel end if I recall correctly.

So basically the easily deformed paintball theory went by the way side. IIRC it also showed you only needed like 6 or 8 inches of barrel in regards to accuracy when compared to every length above it...so 8 10 12 14 16 18 inch doesn't matter. The 'accuracy' there is more due to using the barrel to site the target them its actual physical effect on accuracy.
DocR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:05 PM #477
Gibbsinator
Ego5/Ion/Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocR View Post
IIRC it also showed you only needed like 6 or 8 inches of barrel in regards to accuracy when compared to every length above it...so 8 10 12 14 16 18 inch doesn't matter. The 'accuracy' there is more due to using the barrel to site the target them its actual physical effect on accuracy.
I agree with this, to a point. Under certain conditions a paintball can accelerate to full speed and accuracy with 6-8 inches of barrel, if the barrel isn't ported, or at least not much. But, there are quite a few variables that are involved that many people overlook. Bore size, bore finish, porting, paintball size, paintball weight, air pressure released, timespan of air pressure released, HP or LP, and individual marker and setup. Not to mention all those natural variables like wind, angle, and etc.

My point? 6-8 inches could be perfect for someone, or it could rip off another person. Further proving there is no perfect barrel length.

I've seen a 22 inch barrel, why someone would want one I'm not sure, but they seem to think it does some good. I've also seen some 6-8 inch barrels, personally, a 12 or 14 inch would satisfy me just fine, so mostly a matter of personal preference.
-Spyder Classic-
Old 10-18-2007, 12:31 PM #478
dbkid0486

wait so which barrel kit if the best?

ClosedBoltBallers
dbkid0486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:00 PM #479
iranwithscissors
Feeling out of the loop.

someone has been doing ther homework
Cory Persson Fan #2

Mental Diversion
iranwithscissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:47 PM #480
tjs0349
Tim

Annual Supporting Member
tjs0349 is playing at Living Legends VII
tjs0349 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mann View Post
I guess your right the markers ability to control the balls velocity is important as far as the yaxis accuracy is concerned.
And the accuracy of the Y axis can be greatly affected by how much kick or recoil a given marker has. If gun A has little kick or recoil, and gun B has lots of kick or recoil, gun A is going to be easier to keep on target shot after shot where as gun B will be difficult to maintain the same accuracy shot to shot.

There are a lot of things on a gun that can affect accuracy. The gun is a major factor as far as accuracy goes. The barrel is just one of the many factors in the accuracy equation.

You've done great testing that sheads light on one component of the accuracy equation that has been a big question mark for many people.

Put a great barrel on a gun with lots of kick, and very inconsistent air regulation, and that barrel could be outperformed by a crapy barrel on a gun with little kick and great air regulation. Bottomline, is that putting a great barrel on any given gun isn't going to make that gun perform amazing. Other factors have to be addressed as well.

Kudos on the testing it's really great data!
Old 10-24-2007, 01:00 PM #481
mooman7777

It is really impressive how many myths and urban legends there are surrounding paintball, and even more impressive how many people firmly believe in them.

I think we need Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman to take a good look at what makes paintballs fly straight…
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_busters
mooman7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:50 PM #482
Gibbsinator
Ego5/Ion/Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooman7777 View Post
It is really impressive how many myths and urban legends there are surrounding paintball, and even more impressive how many people firmly believe in them.

I think we need Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman to take a good look at what makes paintballs fly straight…
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_busters
That's a good idea, if they were able to dedicate 10 episodes to it.

Just look at what Mann did, all that research, yet there are still MORE myths to paintball, Mann spent probably hundreds of hours working on this and doing it, to come up with an analysis of barrels, probably the SIMPLEST part of paintball and a marker.

Plus, look how many times they did the "tailgate down saves gas" myth.
-Spyder Classic-
Old 10-26-2007, 09:42 PM #483
Mann

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs0349 View Post
And the accuracy of the Y axis can be greatly affected by how much kick or recoil a given marker has. If gun A has little kick or recoil, and gun B has lots of kick or recoil, gun A is going to be easier to keep on target shot after shot where as gun B will be difficult to maintain the same accuracy shot to shot.

The person holding the marker dictates accuracy. The marker does not. I can shoot 100yards with my hunting rifle and hit the top of a bottle cap. I guarentee you that most people can take a .22 and not get anywhere close. My rifle has ALOT more kick than a .22 (its a weatherby7mm mag sp ed), yet has more accuracy

There are a lot of things on a gun that can affect accuracy. The gun is a major factor as far as accuracy goes. The barrel is just one of the many factors in the accuracy equation.

I agree there are many things, but the marker is basicly just a valve. The ball, barrel, person, and air source are the 4 main things. I put the marker in the same section as my cleats. Get something that is comfortable that you like, and it will work.

You've done great testing that sheads light on one component of the accuracy equation that has been a big question mark for many people.

Put a great barrel on a gun with lots of kick, and very inconsistent air regulation, and that barrel could be outperformed by a crapy barrel on a gun with little kick and great air regulation. Bottomline, is that putting a great barrel on any given gun isn't going to make that gun perform amazing. Other factors have to be addressed as well.

I agree. The person shooting it is probally the biggest factor

Kudos on the testing it's really great data!

Thanks
Me=red