Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-05-2007, 05:47 PM #1
ch3712

VIRTUE FOR THE WIN! (Details and Virtue Ion Tip Inside)

Wow!

Short Version -

I messed up my Virtue board and pretty much voided my warranty but to my surprise Virtue LLC and Tom @ Virtue still bent over backwards to help me(the customer) out!

Ion Virtue Tip - DON'T INSTALL A DXS Pulse RF CHIP ON A VIRTUE ION BOARD! Or any ion board for that matter. Yes you might be able to get it to work but it's totally not worth the hassle and risk involved due to the way the ion board is set up. Trust me on this one.

Long version -

So I upgraded from an eggy to a Pulse hopper on my fully up'd ion. Sweet hopper. Shot it in red mode and it was like a new marker! Everything was cool but like the paintball addict I am... I decided I needed to add in the RF chip.

So I break out the soldering gun and solder the chip to the virtue board. Then I try to find a place to mount the chip. What a nightmare! The place they say to mount it(above the trigger) was horrible because it made my trigger feel like junk. So I ended up extending the wires and mounting it in the grip frame below the battery. Had to grind on my Dye sticky grips too!

Alright go out in the backyard to see if it's going to work. Syncs up.... cool. Go to shoot it and get.... nothing. Try a few things.. get it to shoot... then it stops shooting.. then it shoots. Man what's goin on?? Maybe a low battery. Put in a new battery and it shoots. Turn it off and on a few times and it still shoots so I'm good... I think.

Get to the field that night and the RF chip won't sync in the grip frame. Out of the frame it syncs.. but won't in the frame. Oh well... plan to shoot in red mode and sort it out later. So I go to the Chrono and get... a whole lot of NOTHIN'. Eyes on.. eyes off... nothing.

Try EVERYTHING to get it to work and I get nothing. I even give it to the local tech while I play with a borrowed PM6. Tech's verdict.... Virtue board has given up the ghost.

The fried board theory sounded weird since it worked after I put the chip in... but it wasn't ever working right. I'm thinking maybe my ugly solder was intermittently shorting on the frame or something and finally died. Anyway I'm bummed and start trying to find a new board. I look for a used one(with no luck) because I'm dreading plunking down another $145 for a board.

Right before I commit to buying a brand new board... I decide to call Virtue LLC to see what they think(still in denial that my board is dead).

Well.. I'm blown away at the response I receive from Virtue LLC! Talked to Tom. Right away he's professional and courteous on the phone. He says I probably fried the board and I definitely voided my warranty(figured that) BUT he offers to take a look and try to get it working for me. He says(this part I wasn't expecting) "Worst case scenario... we won't be able to fix it but I'll sell you a new one at a good discount."

Now think about that... I fried the board. Virtue has no liability at that point. They have no responsibility (beyond just being a good company) to help me at all. But they still do the right thing by the customer and offer to hook me up on a discount if I ship them the dead board... or possibly fix it and just charge me for parts(long shot).

So I immediately box it up and ship it to New York via Priority mail. Got there yesterday.

Today I call Virtue up to see if they figured anything out. Tom answers the phone again. I remind him of the situation and he says he'll look for the board and call me back. Tom calls back about 2 hours later and says they can't find the box and it wasn't entered into the computer. Luckily I used signature tracking on the package. I give Tom the tracking number and he looks it up online to confirm. Yes it was delivered yesterday and the signature confirms that someone from their office signed for it. They're very busy and can't seem to find the package. My board's lost!

This is where Virtue LLC shines....

Tom says "Well, since you obviously shipped it to us and we now cannot find it, I'm going to ship you out a new board today. Give me your address details."

WOW!!!

Talk about standing by your customer and doing the right thing. No arguments... no pointing fingers of blame for the lost package... nothin. Just professional, grade A customer service!!! Think about that before you try and save $10 or so buying a board from a different company. Is their customer service going to stand up to Virtue's in your time of need?? It's a no brainer in my opinion. Virtue customer for life.

Oh and yes I know I have a low post count and there was a Virtue "scandal" here a few years back and whatnot... So if anyone thinks this is some "Paid Shill Job" or something... My name's Chris and I'm playing right now in the Thursday league at Gatsplat in DFW TX. Shootin the Virtue'd Ion for the team that was "rrrrrockjaw!" before it semi split up due to people's schedules. Now we're just boring ol' "Team B". Feel free to say what's up if you're from the area.

Chris

Old Feedback Thread - http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2203785
Old 06-05-2007, 06:21 PM #2
sportstm1227
Timmy member #21

Virtue has the worst service. BUT THE BEST BOARD OUT.
Thanks!
Old 06-05-2007, 06:29 PM #3
pballb0i
I am a MUAY THAI masta

^ are u retarded(sp)?
Old 06-05-2007, 06:42 PM #4
noi9591

first dont tell people not to get the RF chip just cause u dont know how to install it. u dont put it below the battery, u put it behind the qev, so u dont have to grind down ur grips.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:07 PM #5
BELOWZERO
2JZGTE POWERED

Annual Supporting Member
BELOWZERO is playing at Living Legends V
BELOWZERO is playing at Living Legends VI
BELOWZERO owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
BELOWZERO supports Team VICIOUS
BELOWZERO plays in the APPA D4 division
BELOWZERO is Legendary
BELOWZERO is Boss
i love virtues customer service

MUST STOP GUN BEING A GUN WHORE
FOR ALL YOUR BOBLONG NEEDS PM TIM2THOUSAND4
Field of Dreams
900-999-999
Old 06-05-2007, 07:16 PM #6
ch3712

Quote:
Originally Posted by noi9591 View Post
first dont tell people not to get the RF chip just cause u dont know how to install it. u dont put it below the battery, u put it behind the qev, so u dont have to grind down ur grips.
My tip has nothing to do with placement. The solder points on the ion boards are fragile and the risk of frying the board outweighs the reward in my opinion.

But.. whatever... dowhatchalike.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:18 PM #7
Chuckles23
Going in dry

Chuckles23 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
this is the first post ive ever read saying something good about virtues customer service. Mybe there changing their ways since their name is no longer banned on pbn it seems their going in a good direction.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:02 PM #8
voiceofdissent

heh, you wouldn't read too many good posts considering virtue was banned now would ya? I seemed to notice anything negative about them stuck around for awhile until someone posted something positive then it disappeared. Might just be me though.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:59 PM #9
ch3712

I posted this thread right after getting off the phone with Virtue.

After awhile I started thinking "What if they forget to ship it to me? And then I call them.. and they forget who I am or something like that...?

Well... brand new board showed up on my doorstep today. They got it here so fast that when I saw the package sitting there, I wasn't sure what it was... heh.

Good times.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:53 PM #10
AlmightyRuler
Vigilante English Teacher

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I don't think you are supposed to solder the RF chip onto a Virtue board. That's what the adapter is for.
If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.
-Sir Winston Churchill
"Lousy Democrats."-Homer J. Simpson
Old 06-09-2007, 10:59 PM #11
android17ak47
No!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyRuler View Post
Correct me if I am mistaken, but I don't think you are supposed to solder the RF chip onto a Virtue board. That's what the adapter is for.
Sorry bud, but all ion boards do not have a wire harness that would accomidate such an adapter. All ion boards have the solenoid soldered directly to the board, which is why everyone is forced to have to just solder the pig tails to the solenoid's leads on the board.

Now for my say so on all matters here:

I for one thought Mike at virtue was the only one who seemed to want to work with the customer. There is one man in particular who I wont mention name, that seemed to not give a hoot, but wanted every reason not to ofr a warrenty repair for a problem I was having. And he was quick to hang up on me when he felt the conversation was over. I think only because mike and virtue is now freinds with pbnation, or at least not enemies anymore, that this is a window of oportunaty, and everyone there knows there might be alot of buisness coming there way that they can afford to start being faithful to thier customers. I have always love using virtue boards in all my markers, but it is like I have to be extra careful with them so I dont ever have to worry about asking for a free/cheap fixup job, because I am afraid they wont do it.

As for the rf, all ion board brands out there have mor ethan enough power to run the rf consistantly. Markers like the ion, shocker, and other spool valves run on a much higher dwell than some markers whoes aftermarket boards have problems with the rf chip.

You have obviously done something wrong, because even if it was a crappy solder job, your loader should still act as if it sincs. So if in fact you went to sinc it and it failed to sinc while on sincing mode, then you fudged up your board. Your rf did nothing to your board.

Heres a fact about why a board sincs with the pulse, but does notwork with the rf afterwards. Ok, when you go to sinc your rf to your pulse loader, your board will power the rf and the rf will send a signal, and the pulse will sinc to that everytime. Now the reason for it to not work afterwards is an obvious reason. Your board is not sending a consistant amount of power to the rf chip inside. And appearently, fluctuations in power from the board, means the rf will send different signals each time there is a fluctuation in power. So if your board is having a hard time making the rf work, even though it sincs everytime, then it is obvious that the board cannot keep up with sending that much higher of a voltage to keep up with both solenoid and rf chip. Lack of power flow is what I am thinking. At least not enough to get enough to both consistantly.

Also if you have a marker that runs on a super low dwell like an angel speed, or maybee even the newest ones, I guess there dwell is too low that the board isnt even sending enough power to run the rf to begin with. From what I understand, the rf chip really only needs about 5volts of juice to work, and when the marker works on a dwell of 3, there just might not be enough volts going that way.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:00 AM #12
android17ak47
No!!!!!

I just went ahead and soldered an extra rf pig tail I had to my ions stock board and it went ez. And for installation, I have the chip pointing up a bit, and all I had to do to make that possible is cut out some plastic on the underside of my ion body. That way the chip doesnt have to be pressing against the top of trigger.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:58 PM #13
e_friccero
\_(ツ)_/

Annual Supporting Member
e_friccero is a Paintball photographer
e_friccero is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
e_friccero is Legendary
e_friccero is Boss
e_friccero is attending Decay of Nations VII
well u could have gotten one of the wiring harnesses that plug into the eye slot from crankwalk that cost only 10 bux which wouldnt have messed it up
Old 06-11-2007, 06:49 PM #14
Sanz181

Quote:
Originally Posted by noi9591 View Post
OK BRO FIRST OFF WHY ARE YOU DESCRIBING UR ION TO THE WORLD- NOBODY CARES ITS STILL AN ION NO MATTER WHAT FRAME OR ANYTHING ELSE YOU PUT ON IT TO THROW STUPID PEOPLE OFF- AND INSTALLING RF BOARDS ON AN ION IS NOT A GOOD IDEA ANYWAY- U NEED TO ATTACH THE RF TO THE NOID TO DO IT THE RIGHT WAY AND GOOD LUCK SHOOTING THAT GUN WITH AN RF BEHIND THE QEV- ITS GOING TO DISCONNECT - JUST SHOOT THE PULSE WITHOUT THE RF IN IONS- ITS FAST ENOUGH

AND TRACY McGRADY SUCKS
Old 06-12-2007, 01:10 AM #15
baader
human shield

Anybody want to IP check the thread starter to see if hes an advantagepb employee?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:23 AM #16
ch3712

Quote:
Originally Posted by android17ak47 View Post

You have obviously done something wrong, because even if it was a crappy solder job, your loader should still act as if it sincs. So if in fact you went to sinc it and it failed to sinc while on sincing mode, then you fudged up your board. Your rf did nothing to your board.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this paragraph.

I think I caused some confusion when I mentioned the loader syncing outside of the gripframe but not inside the gripframe. I was actually trying to sync it in both places... not sync it outside and then it wouldn't work.

Regardless... there were too many things going on with the marker at that point to come to any solid conclusions. The bottom line is that after installing the rf the marker worked intermittently and then died. When I say it worked intermittently... I'm talking about the marker cycling with air, paint, and eyes off. Had nothing to do with the loader or the rf syncing/working.

Now obviously you can install an rf on an ion board. It's been done countless times. But I'll never do it. I've shot the marker with the pulse on red mode and I can break 15bps on straight semi. I don't need the risk of soldering on my board. That's my opinion.

At the very least have someone that's a pro at soldering do it for you. I use a soldering iron about once every ten years. I had no business soldering on a $130 board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_friccero View Post
well u could have gotten one of the wiring harnesses that plug into the eye slot from crankwalk that cost only 10 bux which wouldnt have messed it up
Thanks for the tip but Crankwalk doesn't sell a harness for an ion. I pm'd him when I saw this response. Wish he did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baader View Post
Anybody want to IP check the thread starter to see if hes an advantagepb employee?
Feel free. Actually I'd be real surprised if PBNation hasn't already done that...