PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 09-22-2001, 06:12 PM #1
Phoenix_T

has been a member for 10 years
Question Autocockers and why they may be unsuitable.

Just a quick questoin, as to why many people say that other kids won't be able to handle a autococker or that it would be unsuitable for them. My second gun was an autococker and I love em. I dont see any reason why it would be unsutiable for a kid's second gun or so. However there are those other kids at the field whom feel differently, but never have given me an exact answer as to why they dont think a person could handle it. I just wanna know why people say this?

'99 AUTOCOCKER
-14" Dye Boomstick
-PAINTBALL MANIA 4500/114 cu inch nitro tank
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2001, 08:47 AM #2
evo03

autocockers have a lot of moving parts, and from what i have seen are prone to breaking. Or prone to just stop working anyways.
-evo
Old 09-23-2001, 09:34 AM #3
HostileIntent
Run Thru Ninja

HostileIntent owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
i got a cocker for my second marker and loved it. i had no problems. but when i started adding new parts and messing with it it came a burden. but know that i know more it works fine now. so if a player wants a cocker it'll be fine just don't mess with it until you know the marker.

*1ne

"you gotta get that money no matter how you do... secret inditement ****, right thur"
Old 09-23-2001, 08:02 PM #4
NightGyr
19 Kilo

take a class on how to time/troubleshoot/modify cockers. i took one for $30, most people want more for a class. when u start paying $80 or more, u get a great comprehensive class, but its usually more technical than u really want. so try for a cheap class, between $30-50 and its worth it. it will pay itself back 3x over once u start adding parts and tweaking it. which u will. cockers do that to u, u always have to add 1 more part to make it perform that much better =P
[size]Glacier Fluster #1Glacier Fluster #2

Got a gash on my head, And a grin on my face, And a shadow called danger.
Hidin' in the sheets, And on the streets, In the hearts of every stranger.
Old 09-23-2001, 10:06 PM #5
Deceit
What?

Deceit is a Supporting Member
when these guns start breaking its usually the operators fault...

im building a cocker right now and i have been around them long enough to have a very good discussion on how they great they are with other players...

the reason why i say they arent a good newbie gun is because if you start messing with them and upgrading them without knowing whats going on then it is sure to have a couple problems. i know whats going on i can upgrade it myself. for me they are perfect guns. for a newbie who is just getting into the sport and not knowing what to upgrade or how to it could be a nightmare.

ill compare it with a car...if you would have jumped in a car with out knowing what all the knobs and pedals do or how to even start it it would be the worst piece of junk you have ever sat in. but if you know a lot about cars and know what all the switches and pedals do then it can be a dream...

now im not saying autocockers are more technical than cars but the are more technical than spyders or m98s.

there is a thread about this "teach me about autocockers"
check that for more information its in this forum...
Old 09-23-2001, 11:09 PM #6
samvalentine

samvalentine is a Supporting Member
the average newbee knows nothing about paintball. giving them a complicated hi tech devices before he has mastered his game and has learned how to even play is rediculous. most newbee's dont know how to maintain a simple gun like a stingray or tigershark. autocockers were designed for players that know what there doing. they are more complicated. more advanced. and more expensive. newbees usually have little money and little knowlegde of mechanics.
i think the worst gun a newbee could get would be a autococker. they should get something they can manage.
Old 09-24-2001, 05:56 PM #7
unrealtrip
come get some

Smile Comparison

An Autococker is like a Ducati motorcycle. They both are complex and extremely efficient machines that work within very tight tolerances. When dialed in properly they can be the best in their class rivialing all others.

Think about it this way, you wouldn't get a 916 as your first sport bike, that's something you work your way up to, much like I personally think a player should with an Autococker.

Although quite stable if you don't mess with it, even with improper basic maintenance the Autococker can quickly become a difficult gun to own for the uninitiated.

I agree with the basic notion that it is not a good newbie gun.

(On a side note, I personally own one and have used it for the last 4 years with no major problems)
Old 10-01-2001, 05:17 PM #8
samvalentine

samvalentine is a Supporting Member
Thumbs up

very well put.
Old 10-02-2001, 08:17 PM #9
MR.J

Cool Not worth the extra hassle

I just got rid of my Autococker, When it worked it was very sweet with the Freak barrel system but I was always have a problem with this and that and became more of a head ache than it was worth!

If you like to tinker go for it. If you like to just play paintball then get a Tippmann and then a Impulse or Matrix latter.
Old 10-03-2001, 03:34 PM #10
C]-[iLDe
Fly Or Die

C]-[iLDe is a Supporting Member
Cockers are really nice shooting, distinctive, reliable guns. What happens is that people try to tweak their cockers when they are already functioning properly, and THERE is where they run into problems.

Cockers have (I BELIEVE, correct me if im wrong) the most intricate operating system of any non-electro marker on the market. They are also the most widely used non-electro on the tournament circuit. You wont find more moving parts or stricter adherance to timing in any other non-electro. This being so, if you change one small thing in a WORKING cocker, you may very well throw the whole system out of whack.

When youre at the point where you cocker curiousity is satisfied (I had to trash the cocker in my signature before MINE was satisfied), then you'll under stand that when its working, theres no need to do anything besides clean and oil it. They're really great guns.

Having difficulty deciphering my extensive vocabulary? Click HERE
Old 10-04-2001, 02:18 PM #11
PainfullPainter

Start out whit a spyder or something like that. If you like paintball go for it and bye somthing more hi-thech like a cocker.
It took a while for me to get used to the trigger system on the cocker but now its the only kind of marker I will ever bye.

People say what they say about cockers because of the trigger system and all the "wannabe-pro" players who uppgrade theyr cockers with a new 3-way and styff and dont know how to adjust all the new uppgrades.

Tip: Take a class on cockers (like the other guy said) or bye the Autococker Triks video.

Go Hard-----or-------Go Home