Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 08:07 AM #1
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
A few comments of my own...

When others (religions and non) are allowed to make statements of fact, and not have to back it up and place themselves on an intellectual pedestal that they can not be touched or questioned; please remember that there are many lurkers and posters that will read these posts and take them to heart, without questioning validity, integrity, or authenticity. If those statements are left , then they are assumed to be true, which may or may NOT be the case.

I do not read all the threads here, but I do try to participate in some. Why do those that make those statements of fact and are unwilling to just make semantical changes continue? I don't know. I will continue to pray for those innocents that will read those posts and the incorrect information and misinformation.

and - I sincerely apologize for offending anyone as I have tried to request that those that make those statements, be responsible for their remarks. I just find it very difficult to continue a discussion when there is something laid out as factual when it may or may not be.
Member of: Christ Krew #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2007, 10:06 AM #2
Crippled Dogma

RP, you touch on a more serious issue. One of the symptoms of which would be your point. While I do agree that to SOME extent we all have responsibility for what we write, wouldn't the onus be on the reader?

Especially a site such as PBN? I like ST and it is a fun place to vent, be a smart ***, learn a little (some of you obviously have a brain), etc. It is not a site that is supposed to be a factual source. EVERYTHING here should be taken with a grain of salt. If I read something interesting, whether I agree or not, I check the validity. A lot of those wishing to oppose the view spend time checking anyway.

I realize you are posting about the lurkers, but they are the same as the rest. If they choose to believe without checking any facts, that is their mistake. This very reason is what is destroying this country today. People skim some headlines and think they have an idea what is happening in the world/USA. Sad when you think about it. How many headlines are purposely misleading? Or how many articles have truthiness issues?

This is why I would love to drop some curriculum from high school and spend some time in grades 9-12 doing critical thinking. No grades, other than participation. Wouldn't that be productive? Teach kids how to look at BOTH sides of a discussion and form an opinion based on the info provided? They would even see that an intelligent, civil discussion can occur?

Raider Ball! Raider Ball! Raider Ball!
Old 06-01-2007, 10:36 AM #3
PB&S
Gerrard Wielder of Ego

I think the reason that people make statements of fact without citing the resources right afterwards is they themselves may not know the truth.

I am guilty of this on occasion. Where there will be something that I have heard, and I repeat it because I think it is from a reputable source. We all need to analyze our beliefs, and do research on what we believe. Not just listen to what mommy, daddy and big brother government tell us.

Original Feedback
Closed Thread