Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-31-2007, 10:24 PM #22
SoMich_Tom
Retired

SoMich_Tom is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutcivnI
Now if the kid wants to open a BUSINESS and not just mow lawns around the neighborhood for cash
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOH! View Post
Me and one of my friends are planning on starting a lawn mowing business

I was just going by what he said. A more-than-one-person-gig means he could very easily be taking clients from well established landscaping companies just because he is undercutting the **** out of them.

Comparing that to a lemonade stand is pretty far fetched if you ask me. I agree with you about only mowing a couple lawns. It sounds like he wants to go bigger than that.

Last edited by SoMich_Tom : 05-31-2007 at 10:27 PM.
SoMich_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2007, 10:32 PM #23
sutcivnI (Banned)

sutcivnI is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMich_Tom View Post
I was just going by what he said. A more-than-one-person-gig means he could very easily be taking clients from well established landscaping companies just because he is undercutting the **** out of them.

Comparing that to a lemonade stand is pretty far fetched if you ask me. I agree with you about only mowing a couple lawns. It sounds like he wants to go bigger than that.
Didn't really read it like that, when he said "lawn mowing business" I assumed he meant a bit of freelance work...which I'm pretty sure is the case. If he plans on opening a real business he's going to get destroyed...

I don't think it's far fetched at all to compare mowing a few lawns and a lemonade stand...they're both businesses...and hell, the latter even has a B&M real world location.
sutcivnI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:20 PM #24
paint_sprayer99

make sure u do a good job when cutting the lawns so people want ypu to come back
paint_sprayer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:01 PM #25
sutcivnI (Banned)

sutcivnI is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by paint_sprayer99 View Post
make sure u do a good job when cutting the lawns so people want ypu to come back
...thank you for your contributions, I think you've really helped us all out.
sutcivnI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:52 PM #26
Tchernobog (Banned)

Quote:
Other than not getting arrested? Not much.

It's illegal to run a business under the table, plain and simple.

If you had any integrity or respect for people who have done it the right way you would do it above board.

If you're okay with cheating the system that's on you. I say move to a third world country if you want to be like that. Nobody likes taxes but our country would not run without them.
He's cutting his neighbors lawns you dolt.

Anyways, your best advertisement will be word of mouth.
Tchernobog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:51 AM #27
SoMich_Tom
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchernobog View Post
He's cutting his neighbors lawns you dolt.
You obviously haven't read this thread in its entirety. Please do so and drive through again.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:38 PM #28
Tchernobog (Banned)

Quote:
You obviously haven't read this thread in its entirety. Please do so and drive through again.
No....no, I read the whole thing, you basically made a fool of yourself, kthxbai.
Tchernobog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:23 PM #29
The Executioner
FUKENGRUVEN

has been a member for 10 years
You could always go the route of getting rid of the other guys advertising and replacing it with yours. But that would be unethical. But word of mouth is a good one, maybe try cutting a few peoples grass for free and then they will spread the word if you do a decent job.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:13 PM #30
SoMich_Tom
Retired

Edited. It's no use to argue.

Last edited by SoMich_Tom : 06-03-2007 at 08:12 PM.
SoMich_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:48 PM #31
larry_wendel
What?

has been a member for 10 years
Yeah, just start rippin' down other guys' signs and fliers and put yours up.
Kappa Sigma, OK, #3
larry_wendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:50 AM #32
nicotine
Addicted to something.

Mind you I've actually tried starting a lawn mowing business. Go by word of mouth only or the law will get you for not having a small business license....!Damn u officer macdonald! a small business license will allow you to advertise with fliers in newspapers and business cards. But i belive best way is word of mouth to surpass the small business license which i belive is 500 dollars at the moment in most states.
Just ask your relatives to spread the word perferably your grandparents if their in the area *god knows there friends are old to* and you should get a couple lawns in no time possibly a week if u get your friends grandparents and others to spread the message.
nicotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:03 AM #33
DOH! (Banned)

hey im back i have no idea what i was banned for but
anymore help ?
DOH! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:53 PM #34
nappy headed hoe
R.I.P. ODB

i dont have a business, but i mow the lawns of about every body on my street. my suggestions are to just be nice, dont overcharge. i charge 20 for each lawn, and up. also, wait for customers to ask how much, because they may offer a good price. my next door neighbor has a small lawn, worth about $25. however, he offered to pay me 40 each time, and ive mowed about once a week at 40 ever since. dont advertise, just make sure the neighbors know u are availible to mow. good luck with ur business

46% of teens engage in pre-marital sex. 89% drink before the age of 21. Put this in ur sig if you think that pandas are the chillest animal alive
nappy headed hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:41 AM #35
DOH!!

so when they say
how much will it cost just sat offer?
DOH!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:38 AM #36
hockeypro1411

this is the same thing i do with a close buddy of mine. we're both 15 and we both started out with 1 lawn each and we combined and started passing out flyers on mailboxes and asked our current customers to spread the word. people who have sene ur work will always get more business then a piece of paper ever will. also find a local convenience store and ask the owner if he/she minds if u toss a stack of fliers on the corner of the counter for the summer. we started the summer with 3 lawns, and we have progressed to having 9. now of course we've gotten a commercial mower and nice equipment and a truck so things are only going to grow. we started charging 25 a lawn, but soon realized that people with larger lawns took longer and the edging was more intense. just do a good job and ask people to spread the word about your business. best of luck with your business, jake.

Last edited by hockeypro1411 : 07-16-2007 at 01:40 AM.
hockeypro1411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:37 PM #37
Carnagge

my friend and I started out doing the same thing you guys do. since then my friend took over the business, He bought me out for an agreed upon amount of money which paid for my college loans. He's now got 3 trailers enclosed with 3 crews that do nothing but mow 5 days a week. He also have a general manager that runs around doing bids. My buddy does all the hands on work. I just help out with stuff as needed occasionally. The only reason I'm still a owner is because I paid for half of everything when we started and helped get the 1st enclosed trailer we got. Our first year we made nothing. our 2nd year we made a couple g's. 3rd year 6k. 4th year we bought a ad in the phone book and he dropped out of college to do this full time and now were in the top 6 for biggest lawn care companies in the city.

His house and our enclosed storage barn/building is big enough to put 10 trailers into with trucks/machines. Anyways, good luck. We were just screwing around and now my friends basically got his own business for the rest of his life if he wants it.

68/4500 tank
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...2#post64366912
Carnagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:46 AM #38
Jwarwin2323 (Banned)

flyers and beaners with pickets that work for 10c an hour
Jwarwin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:19 PM #39
g2k556
fustercluck

I'm in the same boat as you. My friend and I started our business a little more than a year ago doing lawns in my neighborhood. We had like 4 jobs. We did whatever they needed done, mowing, weeding, raking, etc. When trying to get any job, you MUST be as polite as you can. Be reasonable with your prices and negotiate. Right off, don't put a set price, and do an hourly wage, but base that wage off of what your customer wants, not just you. You'll be able to do that in the future when your business expands. I had one job at 10 an hour, another at 7.50 and another at 7. So it's up to the customer at this point, but at least set your minimum at 7.

Before you start a job for a customer, make sure you understand completely what they are looking for, even if you don't like the idea. When you finished, be sure the ask them to inspect your work, it shows them you care. Then change/fix it to how they want it, even if it becomes tedious. It definately pays off. Last year I made at least 2,500 in one summer. I payed for my car ($700) in less than two months plus a month or so of insurance. Not only that, but between the two of us we bought about $1500 worth of equipment, weed whackers, leaf blowers/vacuum, hedge trimmer, chain saw, etc. Next year will be our big year, we'll be getting a truck and trailer, and his dad bought a $13,000 Kabota zero-turn for us (he's plannin' on comin' into the business with us when he retires from the mill). And my friend and I are gonna split the cost for a dixie chopper, too. So now we can advertise and get enough jobs to last us everyday for about 5 or 6 days. We'll be bankin' big time.

It's funny because my sig's a ****.
g2k556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:56 AM #40
DOH!!

hmm have passed out about 30 flyers and got one lawn right now
is that a good ratio like the number passed out to the number of yards were doing?
Old 08-04-2007, 03:21 AM #41
Maj Payne

i have been mowing the front and back of my families lawn for 2 years every 2 weeks. I got used to it and I get 10 dollars when job is done. That how much I would charge. Its normal size about 12 feet wide and 38-40 feet long. Put it at your local supermarket window and any old people hot spots such as curves or coffee shops where the adults are too god damn lazy to mow their own lawn.

JEsus christ. Just read some of the replies and saw that you guys get like 25-40 dollars. MY DAD IS RIPPIN ME OFF im gonna go knock him out right now.

Last edited by Maj Payne : 08-04-2007 at 03:25 AM.
Maj Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 05:16 AM #42
hockeypro1411

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOH!! View Post
hmm have passed out about 30 flyers and got one lawn right now
is that a good ratio like the number passed out to the number of yards were doing?
we've passed out close to 300 fliers. we've gotten hits from 2 of them. the rest was word of mouth, and neighbors seeing the quality of work we do. pm me ur flyer, or send it to me as an attatchment. im sure i can possibly give u some suggestions. pm me for my e-mail address if you're interested