PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-29-2007, 09:43 PM #1
DOH! (Banned)

Lawn mowing business

Hi
Me and one of my friends are planning on starting a lawn mowing business but we need some input. We were wondering what is the best way to get your business out there (advertising). How much should we charge for an average size yard?
And any other good pointers you guys could point out
Thanks
DOH! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2007, 09:44 PM #2
CrJenkins13

has been a member for 10 years
Signs on random *** trees. I see them everywhere at every ****ing intersection and hate them. Fliers in mailboxes are also nice. Signs for the trailer, and possibly tshirts.

As far as prices I wouldn't waste my time on a yard I can't make less than $20 for cutting.
CrJenkins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:48 PM #3
DOH! (Banned)

When handing out flyers think it would be worth my time to ring each doorbell and ask them if they would like any work done?
Old 05-29-2007, 09:55 PM #4
a-5_pwner
ford's gay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOH! View Post
When handing out flyers think it would be worth my time to ring each doorbell and ask them if they would like any work done?
yes, i had a lawn mowing business for 5 years. Make sure your friend will work as hard as you, i did my work by my self because all my friends were lazy SOBs. i made flyers with all the work i did and a average price, i trimmed, raked leaves, mowed, watered plants, cut bushes/trees, power washed and other odd jobs. I took the flyer and made some businees cards on the computer and used a paper clip to hold them together and i would personaally talk to every person i went to. Any questions just ask
a-5_pwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:59 PM #5
DOH! (Banned)

ii was thinnking of talking to the people but i jsut really didnt no what to say and didnt wanna make a fool of myself
Old 05-29-2007, 10:43 PM #6
tippycustom

Only advertise in your neighborhood, unless you have a reliable form of mower transportation. Do a better job then your client expects, and the best thing they can do for you is to pass your name along.
tippycustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:12 AM #7
Andrewc-c
Who'sin For Boozin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrJenkins13 View Post
$20 for cutting.
damn i usualy made 10 dollars for a lawn. at my lawn mowing prime i was doing 5-6 yards a week. I was happy with 10 dollars... but then again my dad was paying for gas lol.

Just ask neighbors, thats how I got started, old people need their lawns mowed.
Andrewc-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:51 PM #8
DOH! (Banned)

but what did u say when you ask ?
i just dont no what to say and dont wanna make a complete fool of my self
and also should i set the prices or like ask them what they think.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:11 PM #9
Andrewc-c
Who'sin For Boozin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOH! View Post
but what did u say when you ask ?
i just dont no what to say and dont wanna make a complete fool of my self
and also should i set the prices or like ask them what they think.
not sure what to ask since I really took the "business" over from my brother. But as for price, it depends on how big the yard is, how difficult it would be to mow, *on a slope... stuff like that*
Andrewc-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:27 PM #10
SoMich_Tom
Retired

SoMich_Tom is a Supporting Member
Offer to do the job for free and they only have to pay if/when they are satisfied.

Most will take (what sounds to be) a free offer, very few people have brass balls large enough to not pay you after doing a good job. You might get a person every now and then to nitpick your work and want you to trim better, but for the most part people will pay up and in the end you gain a lot of work from it.

Or offer to cut it once for free. Leave them a business card (which are cheap, you should have some) and ask for a call back when it needs mowed again.

Whatever you do, do this legit. Register as a business and pay all your fee's/taxes like you're supposed to. There are a ton of legit landscaping companies who are paying this, do not undercut the honest workers just because you want to make a buck.

That's how I'd do it if I decided to start something like this up. I don't run a landscaping business so take this for what it's worth.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:59 PM #11
CrJenkins13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMich_Tom View Post
Offer to do the job for free and they only have to pay if/when they are satisfied.

Most will take (what sounds to be) a free offer, very few people have brass balls large enough to not pay you after doing a good job. You might get a person every now and then to nitpick your work and want you to trim better, but for the most part people will pay up and in the end you gain a lot of work from it.

Or offer to cut it once for free. Leave them a business card (which are cheap, you should have some) and ask for a call back when it needs mowed again.

Whatever you do, do this legit. Register as a business and pay all your fee's/taxes like you're supposed to. There are a ton of legit landscaping companies who are paying this, do not undercut the honest workers just because you want to make a buck.

That's how I'd do it if I decided to start something like this up. I don't run a landscaping business so take this for what it's worth.
What exactly do you get out of a business license? And where do you go from a 14 year old prepubescent kid mowing yards, to a landscaping business? What are the perks of doing this "legit", versus "hustling"? I honestly don't see the point in paying the taxes and ****...I mean sure, if you're a big business but don't expect to get there any time soon.

Not trying to be a dick, just playing devils advocate, although I do slightly disagree.
CrJenkins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:22 PM #12
DOH! (Banned)

ya getting a business is out of the question
I need to no what to say when i gp door to door or atleast an idea
Old 05-30-2007, 09:49 PM #13
SoMich_Tom
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrJenkins13 View Post
What are the perks of doing this "legit", versus "hustling"?
Other than not getting arrested? Not much.

It's illegal to run a business under the table, plain and simple.

If you had any integrity or respect for people who have done it the right way you would do it above board.

If you're okay with cheating the system that's on you. I say move to a third world country if you want to be like that. Nobody likes taxes but our country would not run without them.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:52 PM #14
DOH! (Banned)

Quote:

If you had any integrity or respect for people who have done it the right way you would do it above board.

If you're okay with cheating the system that's on you. I say move to a third world country if you want to be like that. Nobody likes taxes but our country would not run without them.
wow take it easy
Old 05-30-2007, 09:53 PM #15
SoMich_Tom
Retired

Easy?

You're talking about breaking federal laws. Yeah, I should take it easy.

You asked for advice, you got it. What more do you want? I gave you a lot of good ideas on how to get the ball rolling. If you want to be an entrepreneur you need some originality of your own.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:56 PM #16
rammstein_5
**** you microphone fish

Just be polite and friendly and ask if they would like their lawn mowed on this hot sunny day.
rammstein_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:00 PM #17
PaintBallerPro
Gangta Sauce AKA Ketchup

man some little tard came put a lawn mowing flyer on the seat of my mower while i was inside gettin some water...So if you see some one with a nice lawn dont bother cause they probably put their time into it like doing it...but if you see some lil ol lady who's lawn guy is screwing her over offer up...or a lawn thats a foot tall
Old 05-31-2007, 04:57 PM #18
i like tictacs
first day of my life

Quote:

Bahahahaha. Only on pbnation.
i like tictacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:33 PM #19
sutcivnI (Banned)

sutcivnI is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Easy?

You're talking about breaking federal laws. Yeah, I should take it easy.

You asked for advice, you got it. What more do you want? I gave you a lot of good ideas on how to get the ball rolling. If you want to be an entrepreneur you need some originality of your own.
Dude...calm down brethren.

I know where you're coming from -- I really do. I have owned two businesses, one of them in the paintball industry that ended up being pretty damned successful (Xtreme Concepts Inc./XCI Paintball).

What you're talking about equates to telling the 12 year old who is putting up a lemonade stand to acquire a business license, FEIN, and S&U tax number before he opens up shop. This guy is going around mowing some lawns for pocket change. The IRS isn't going to be knocking down his door anytime soon.

Now if the kid wants to open a BUSINESS and not just mow lawns around the neighborhood for cash, you're right, and he should take heed of your posts. Otherwise, lighten up a bit...I had countless under-the-table "businesses" when I was between the ages of 8 and 14, lawn-mowing, dog-sitting/walking, etc. They didn't get me arrested, they hardly garnered the attention of any tax investigators, and they helped to give me a good foundation of work ethic and customer service experience for when I actually opened a real business.

Thread starter - careful, do a good job, and pay attention to what you learn from the experience.
sutcivnI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:42 PM #20
paint_sprayer99

why did the thread started get banned?
paint_sprayer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:45 PM #21
paint_sprayer99

opps sorry for double post!

Last edited by paint_sprayer99 : 05-31-2007 at 05:47 PM.
paint_sprayer99 is offline   Reply With Quote