Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-23-2015, 12:58 PM #1
Jester0813

Questions about the DM15

I am looking to replace my current marker with a DM15, however I have a few questions that I haven't really been able to find the answers for before I really decide on buying one.

I have heard that DM15s are very maintenance heavy which isn't really a huge deal, I wouldn't mind having to clean and lube the gun before a day of play. However I have heard that maintaining a DM can be very expensive because the eyes are prone to breaking and other expenses make keeping the marker at it's best very expensive. Is this true though? I haven't found anywhere but word of mouth that says that keeping up with a DM15 is very expensive, instead I find that it is just more work.

Also I was thinking of maybe just getting a DM14 for a few hundred cheaper and just pick up a Billy Wing bolt to put in the DM14 and that should do just as well. The main difference between the 15 and 14 is that the 15 comes with a stock BW and the feedneck doesn't swivel as well as the gun is contoured better (as far as I know). Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

TLDR: How much would it cost me to maintain a DM15? Is it worth getting a DM15, or should I get a DM14 and a BW kit?? And is there anything that I should consider before buying one?

Any help that can be offered will be very appreciated!
Jester0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2015, 01:45 PM #2
TheFinest
The Man

TheFinest owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
TheFinest plays in the APPA D4 division
TheFinest has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
TheFinest has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Well let me first off by saying I've always been an Ego guy and this past January I decided I was sick of macrolines and wanted to try a spoolie. Picked up a Dm14 and it's very different between feel and shot. Anyways I say this to answer your questions. No they are not maintenance heavy, I clean my bolt before every game and clean the HPR and LPR every 3-5 games or so. If you know how to clean a gun you are fine, and it's no big deal.

Secondly, I saw some posts about Pooty and I wanted to try it for the hell of it. Sent my bolt in for $35 and he polished it and noticed he also cleaned some of the scratches that were on the bolt from previous owner (scratches didnt effect performance). But I haven't broken any paint and it's shooting real smooth. So instead of wasting $130 for a new bolt, I would suggest to pay the $35 and let him clean the bolt and put on new o-rings. Other than that, I have been reading this forum here for sometime now and Razgrizz and Jojo have you covered if you ever have maintenance/performance questions. For a suggestion, save the couple hundred bucks and get the DM14 and invest the savings elsewhere.

Sponsors:
Custom Products
HK Army
Hustle Paintball
Paintball Wizard
TheFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:30 PM #3
GooseDaMighty
IM F-ING AGG!!

GooseDaMighty owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
I just bought a dm15 a few weeks ago and have used it the past 2 weekends. (practice and tournament). I came from using an lv1 and geo3.5 last year. the 15 is simple to clean and the only part that is fragile is the eyepipe (which for some reason cost 20 bucks to replace if cracked). only thing you have to do to prevent the eye pipe from cracking is just put 2 orings on your barrel back and you are good to go.

I got bored with eclipse guns and decided to get a dm again because I missed the way the ul frame felt in my hands along with the shot quality. (also nobody shoots them in my area and I like to be different)

the 14 is the same exact gun besides the lower profile feedneck, the bw bolt, slim grips, and milling. if you can live without those things a 14 can be had for dirt cheap now. I went for the 15 because I got a deal and I like the additions they made and the milling more.

dms are great you wont be disappointed
Old 04-23-2015, 04:58 PM #4
jojo750
shocktech DM5

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
jojo750 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
jojo750 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
jojo750 is Boss
jojo750 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
ans has eyepipes for $7+ shipping.
Doesn't have the detents on it. But most of the time you can use the same detents, if it's the eyepipe that's cracked.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:22 PM #5
Vissa

Vissa owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
I never cracked an eyepipe or demolished my eyes. Maintenance costs are the same as every marker. It only cost me a bit of time and once in a while an o-ring. No costs at all.
Vissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:09 PM #6
goon81

goon81 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I would go with a DM14 to save some cash. You can also grab some soft o-rings and make the stock bolt shoot like butter, offsetting the Bwing bolt advantage in the DM15. I actually purchased the Bwing bolt for my DM14 and found that my stock bolt out-performed it with soft o-rings installed. So, in the end, it wasn't really worth it - at least in my case.
goon81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:30 PM #7
Jester0813

Thanks for all the replies! I am pretty set on getting a DM as of right now, I will probably go for a DM14 so I can save some cash and won't have to sell my Bob Long Vice.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:54 AM #8
SubseaSuper
John S

SubseaSuper plays in the APPA beginner division
I bought a new DM 14 early 2014. It was my first gun. I learned basic maintenance, how to make adjustments to the dwell, LPR and HPR regs with it. I probably did things to it that should've never been done and it held up for a solid year before I started having issues. The gun is a workhorse when you get it set up properly (still pretty good even when it's not, lol).

I was so happy with the 14 that I bought a DM 15 a couple months ago. I can't really say its better than the DM 14, except it fits my hands better and is seems slightly less heavy. The feedback height difference is not really noticeable. The grips are easier to take off on the 15 (you don't need to jam a flat edge screwdriver or credit card in to pry them off). Love the way both of them set up when aiming. Really really really nice shot quality when you get everything set up and broken in. If you don't mind, I'll weigh in with my opinion and you can do what you want with it.

DM 14

Pros:
1. Cost
Cons:
1. ASA is absolute-complete crap, buy a spare ASA. The pin will bend over time causing the air valve to shut off mid game.
2. Bolt- get the billy wing bolt or pooty the stock bolt. You will notice a big difference.
3. I/O board and wiring in the 14. Nothing to do with functionality, but the 14 looks like a prototype and the 15 looks like Dye finally decided where to have things mounted properly. I'll try and upload photos for comparison.

DM 15

Pros:
1. Cost - $1000 for a freakin Dye DM that's new and has the kinks worked out from the earlier model?
2. ASA - supposedly has the issue with the pin bending sorted. Spoke with a tech at dye (Tat?) who claims that shouldn't be a worry anymore.
3. BW/Bolt, Feedneck shorter, slimmer grip frame.

Cons:
1. Can't really think of any honestly. Nice gun.

Recommendations for either gun you buy.
Go out and spend a little money on a Carbon Fiber or Glass Fiber boomstick. You won't be disappointed. I bought the 14" .689(8?) .684 and .680 CF boomsticks. Accuracy and shot signature are unparalleled by any other marker/barrel set-up on the market IMO. This is a must in my opinion.
Go get a Dye Rotor.
Adjust your dwell and LPR once you've got a few cases through the gun. You won't believe the shot quality you'll be able to achieve. Think mines at Dwell of 20 and LPR 2 3/4 turns out from all the way in. Everyone's different so don't be afraid to fiddle with it.

Apologies for this novel of a reply. Aderral on an empty stomach this morning......
Hope this helps.
SubseaSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:44 AM #9
Jester0813

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubseaSuper View Post
I bought a new DM 14 early 2014. It was my first gun. I learned basic maintenance, how to make adjustments to the dwell, LPR and HPR regs with it. I probably did things to it that should've never been done and it held up for a solid year before I started having issues. The gun is a workhorse when you get it set up properly (still pretty good even when it's not, lol).

I was so happy with the 14 that I bought a DM 15 a couple months ago. I can't really say its better than the DM 14, except it fits my hands better and is seems slightly less heavy. The feedback height difference is not really noticeable. The grips are easier to take off on the 15 (you don't need to jam a flat edge screwdriver or credit card in to pry them off). Love the way both of them set up when aiming. Really really really nice shot quality when you get everything set up and broken in. If you don't mind, I'll weigh in with my opinion and you can do what you want with it.

DM 14

Pros:
1. Cost
Cons:
1. ASA is absolute-complete crap, buy a spare ASA. The pin will bend over time causing the air valve to shut off mid game.
2. Bolt- get the billy wing bolt or pooty the stock bolt. You will notice a big difference.
3. I/O board and wiring in the 14. Nothing to do with functionality, but the 14 looks like a prototype and the 15 looks like Dye finally decided where to have things mounted properly. I'll try and upload photos for comparison.

DM 15

Pros:
1. Cost - $1000 for a freakin Dye DM that's new and has the kinks worked out from the earlier model?
2. ASA - supposedly has the issue with the pin bending sorted. Spoke with a tech at dye (Tat?) who claims that shouldn't be a worry anymore.
3. BW/Bolt, Feedneck shorter, slimmer grip frame.

Cons:
1. Can't really think of any honestly. Nice gun.

Recommendations for either gun you buy.
Go out and spend a little money on a Carbon Fiber or Glass Fiber boomstick. You won't be disappointed. I bought the 14" .689(8?) .684 and .680 CF boomsticks. Accuracy and shot signature are unparalleled by any other marker/barrel set-up on the market IMO. This is a must in my opinion.
Go get a Dye Rotor.
Adjust your dwell and LPR once you've got a few cases through the gun. You won't believe the shot quality you'll be able to achieve. Think mines at Dwell of 20 and LPR 2 3/4 turns out from all the way in. Everyone's different so don't be afraid to fiddle with it.

Apologies for this novel of a reply. Aderral on an empty stomach this morning......
Hope this helps.
I really appreciate the long reply actually! I am actually about to order a CF Boomy for my BL Vice because the bore on my barrel being .691 is a little too big most of the time. I'll pick up a spare ASA if I go with the DM14 for sure and I was looking into BW bolts vs Pooty stock. Most of the DM14s I find on the nation come with a BW bolt so if I buy one used (which I probably will) I will have the BW bolt with the gun. There are also a ton of good deals for DM15s out there so once I save up enough money to buy either I will make my decision from there.
Thank you!
Old 04-25-2015, 04:39 PM #10
Razgriz2006
BG Falcon

Razgriz2006 plays in the APPA D4 division
I just want to comment on the notion of buying a spare ASA. Just get a replacement pin, and lever if that is something you are really worried about. Also using a 850 psi ninja v2 reg for either marker is ill advised.

Performance wise... Google is your friend.
Razgriz2006 is offline   Reply With Quote