Do religious people stereotypically have a "persecution" complex? - Page 2 - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: Do religious people typically have a "persecution" complex?
Christian and yes many do. 13 30.23%
Christian and no most do not. 8 18.60%
Athiest/Agnostic and yes many do. 17 39.53%
Athiest/Agnostic and no most do not. 0 0%
Other religion and yes many do. 4 9.30%
Other religion and no most do not. 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-22-2007, 02:30 PM #22
PB&S
Gerrard Wielder of Ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic.paintball View Post
Just curious how you felt persecuted PB? Examples?
When I was in Highschool I was a highly motivated young christian. I had organized several christian out reach programs in my school, and helped develop several student lead after school bible study programs. I do have several stories from that time.

Needless to say I was alienated from the mainstream crowd even though I started Varsity sports.

My nickname was "Jesus F***" a play on the once popular "Jesus Freak" song by DC Talk. Amongst other random side comments from students while walking down the hall.

I assume that any persecution that I befell though was probably as much my fault as anyones because of my outspoken nature and condemnation for classmates.

Since then though I have had a great awakening to the realities of the world, and my past experience makes me a good candidate to discuss things with current christians about how things are not always just black-n-white.

Original Feedback
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-22-2007, 02:34 PM #23
Mastermind26
We are moons

Mastermind26 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB&S View Post
When I was in Highschool I was a highly motivated young christian. I had organized several christian out reach programs in my school, and helped develop several student lead after school bible study programs. I do have several stories from that time.

Needless to say I was alienated from the mainstream crowd even though I started Varsity sports.

My nickname was "Jesus F***" a play on the once popular "Jesus Freak" song by DC Talk. Amongst other random side comments from students while walking down the hall.

I assume that any persecution that I befell though was probably as much my fault as anyones because of my outspoken nature and condemnation for classmates.

Since then though I have had a great awakening to the realities of the world, and my past experience makes me a good candidate to discuss things with current christians about how things are not always just black-n-white.
Very interesting. So, would it be safe to say that you equated alienation with perceived persecution? What caused this "great awakening" and what would you consider yourself now (if not a christian any longer)?

CK member #04 (???)
Old 05-22-2007, 02:35 PM #24
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah

cryptic.paintball plays in the APPA D5 division
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
At least you recognize that the unwanted attention you received was probably due to your incessant preaching to others.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:46 PM #25
PB&S
Gerrard Wielder of Ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind26 View Post
Very interesting. So, would it be safe to say that you equated alienation with perceived persecution? What caused this "great awakening" and what would you consider yourself now (if not a christian any longer)?
Yes, my view at the time was that it was persecution. My mind set though was that of what I explained before. I understand though that not all christians are like how I was. I was all about god 24/7 not a poser.

As far as awakening in my personal life there were a few things. Most I chaulk it up to maturity, but a larger part of it was fighting in the current war. It gave me a good perspective on what is really important in the world.

Right now if you asked me what religion I was I would check 'other'. I will gladly worship in any church you throw me into. I believe in the bible, quran, Bhagavad Gita, 10 fold path and lately new age stuff has caught my attention and any other religous text I come across. I simply gleen what I consider truth from it and discard the stuff I think is garbage. Which is all anybody should do. Find out what god means to you, and develop that relationship in your own way. Not what he means to any pastor, priest or theology.

I feel god is to fluid and multi faceted to fit into any mold religion trys to put him in.

Original Feedback

Last edited by PB&S : 05-22-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:49 PM #26
PB&S
Gerrard Wielder of Ego

Quote:
At least you recognize that the unwanted attention you received was probably due to your incessant preaching to others.
I do now, but I did not then. I thought that people hearing about god was good for them. Which is what I fear is where a lot of christians get stuck nowadays.

There are several people that I have met since highschool that when I run into them I buy them a drink and apologize for being an ***.

Original Feedback
Old 05-22-2007, 02:57 PM #27
chodeyg
sprezzatura

I would say yes, I do it myself sometimes.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:12 PM #28
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeyg View Post
I would say yes, I do it myself sometimes.
Examples?

My perspective is you cannot just look at someone and know they are christian, jew, etc. Unless you are spouting about your religion then no one will know. People need to realize there is a time and place for everything. Religion is a personal thing and should be kept that way.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:14 PM #29
Furious_J
bockbock velcrowrapper

Quote:
LOL Furious.

I think the bigger question is do yo believe Christians feel they are persecuted? I think that the world "slipped" from God from the get-go. That is not to say He won't regain it, but it did lose ownership. Maybe you meant America?

Either way, I likes ur spullin'. I had to re-read to find the mistakes.

I think some feel that way but not me in particular I do feel like there is a power struggle so to speak with non-believers vs believers (the 10 Commandments in public places just an example)Your right MM maybe America more so than the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB&S View Post
As long as you do not make glareing mistakes that it interferes with what you are trying to say, it is fine.

Please explain why you feel the world is sliping away from god.

Personally I feel the world is as close to god as it has ever been. We are a lot closer now than during the roman times. In fact the christians have their own satellite broadcast tv channels. 1000's of radio channels, everytime I drive thru the midwest all I can pick up are either a sermon or a country song. Our age has seen the birth of Mega Churchs with 5000+ person congregations.

As an answer to you question MM do christians specifically feel they are persecuted. I would have to say that a majority of them do. I know that I felt that way when I was a christian.
I agree with you on some points, but I fell that a lot of people want God taken out of America and most people reject the word of God on a daily basis, which is thier right dont get me wrong but I see a lot more of a Godless attitude now than I did when I was younger( Im 29).
CK I kneel for Jesus
RL#594

Please support the March of Dimes!
http://www.marchforbabies.org/s_team_page.asp?seid=620728
Old 05-22-2007, 03:27 PM #30
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah

People do not want god taken out of America. People want god to stop being forced down everyone's throats. It does not belong in public buildings, it does not belong in schools(public). Religion is supposed to be about a personal relationship with whatever diety you wish to worship, if any. Taking that and displaying it eveywhere does nothing for the religion itself. Those that are most vocal and are so hard pressed to have their particular religion on display everywhere do the most damage to said religion in the public eye.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:31 PM #31
Mastermind26
We are moons

Mastermind26 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious_J View Post
I think some feel that way but not me in particular I do feel like there is a power struggle so to speak with non-believers vs believers (the 10 Commandments in public places just an example)Your right MM maybe America more so than the world.

I agree with you on some points, but I fell that a lot of people want God taken out of America and most people reject the word of God on a daily basis, which is thier right dont get me wrong but I see a lot more of a Godless attitude now than I did when I was younger( Im 29).
To be fair FJ, when I came to the US, it was not to have or seeking freedom of religion. I did not come seeking a religious country. The US was not known as a christian nation. The US has always been known as the land of opportunity (first and then freedom, but religious freedom is a distant thought unless you come from a complete totalitarian country that is void of religious freedoms [China anyone?]).

I did learn that there is much freedom for religion here when I got here tho.

And I agree that America is intolerant of the Bible (in particular) nowadays. More so than when I was younger (and I'm 34, but you're still old..... LOL).

EDIT:
Quote:
Taking that and displaying it eveywhere does nothing for the religion itself. Those that are most vocal and are so hard pressed to have their particular religion on display everywhere do the most damage to said religion in the public eye.
To a degree I agree with you. But taking it down and shut it down does have negative effect (as if "you are not welcomed here anymore" was the message relayed). The shooting yourself in the foot is true, also to a degree. But it's the hypocrites that seal it up pretty tight.

CK member #04 (???)

Last edited by Mastermind26 : 05-22-2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:06 PM #32
Furious_J
bockbock velcrowrapper

Quote:
People do not want god taken out of America. People want god to stop being forced down everyone's throats. It does not belong in public buildings, it does not belong in schools(public). Religion is supposed to be about a personal relationship with whatever diety you wish to worship, if any. Taking that and displaying it eveywhere does nothing for the religion itself. Those that are most vocal and are so hard pressed to have their particular religion on display everywhere do the most damage to said religion in the public eye.
I agree with you on some points CP( Bold) but I do think that some people want to take God out of America so to speak, but not all that oppose things such as the "Big 10" for example.
CK I kneel for Jesus
RL#594

Old 05-22-2007, 06:18 PM #33
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah

If you allow the "big 10" then that opens up for every other religion to have the same display, including pagan, satanist, and muslim religions. That is a complete waste of space and violates the church & state statute.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:33 PM #34
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious_J View Post

Why's it matter?

One of my less intelligent teachers(mind you I'm not saying he isn't smart because of this instance) came into class and said that displaying the ten commandments everywhere would make people better. Some of the more religious people in our class agreed outright.

I sat there and chuckled to myself and said, how would it make people who are trying to get away from them, and tired of hearing them, "better"? By not having them displayed, how are you being "attacked" I don't have my religious laws on the wall because not everyone has the same ideals I do.

By the way what is "Godless" attitude? Are you implying that one who is with god acts differntly in the same situations as one who doesn't? Or just simply wanting the removale of things that are associated with god?
From a great height
From a great height... height...
Rain down, rain down

http://www.bestpanamacitybeachcondo.com

Last edited by mynameisjonathon : 05-22-2007 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:45 PM #35
Furious_J
bockbock velcrowrapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisjonathon View Post
Why's it matter??
The 10 Commandment's ? I was just using that as an example, but It goes beyond that .I don't really care to have the Big 10 displayed b/c of the same reasons many of you have stated not everyone believes in that. It seems to me IMHO that groups such as the ACLU will be the downfall of Free Speech, and Freedom of Religion in the US.

Quote:
One of my less intelligent teachers(mind you I'm not saying he isn't smart because of this instance) came into class and said that displaying the ten commandments everywhere would make people better. Some of the more religious people in our class agreed outright.
I don't see how maybe as a reminder or to make people feel guilt.
Some hold thier faith higher than others

Quote:
I sat there and chuckled to myself and said, how would it make people who are trying to get away from them, and tired of hearing them, "better"? By not having them displayed, how are you being "attacked" I don't have my religious laws on the wall because not everyone has the same ideals I do.
I agree.
I never said that People were being attacked but there is a power struggle as one side says put em up and the other says bring em down(Big 10 example again). If certain groups silence other groups no one wins because who will be the next group to be silenced?.

Quote:
By the way what is "Godless" attitude?
I see a general apathy towards God and the church in general some people just don't care about God anymore.

Quote:
Are you implying that one who is with god acts differntly in the same situations as one who doesn't? Or just simply wanting the removale of things that are associated with god?
Not my implication but I would hope that those that claim to be Christan would act Christ like.
CK I kneel for Jesus
RL#594

Old 05-22-2007, 10:50 PM #36
bunkerbuster68
89 Lincoln Mark VII

lots of people fight over what there "god" tells them but if you ask me aruguing(sp?) over religion is like fighting over who has the better imaginary friend.
Champion Paintball
AKA bunkerbuster007
Old 05-22-2007, 11:01 PM #37
Furious_J
bockbock velcrowrapper

Big Bird has that one down.
CK I kneel for Jesus
RL#594

Old 05-23-2007, 01:06 AM #38
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

Quote:
Aw. I voted wrong. My screen jumped and I selected atheist yes and many do, by mistake.

Can I have a do over?
bhahahahaha megalol.

Sorry. On topic - my belief is that the Abrahamic religions (for the most part) have a written history of persecution built into them. As indoctrinal standard, being a member exposes you to countless hours of *brainwashing* that curbs your mind to this result.

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Old 05-23-2007, 01:09 AM #39
A.C. Basbas
Official VM-68 Guru

Judaism... The only commonly religion in the world who doesn't actively seek new members. Why? Because of a feeling of superiority that is deeply ingrained in the Torah... Chosen people? Maybe... Superiority complex? Hell yea.

:shrug:

Don't get me wrong, I'm no anti-semite, I actually dislike religion (aka blind faith) in general, but what with all the issues in Palestine (Israel..? ) it seems like none of the Abrahamic religions are completely free of this superiority complex...

Last edited by A.C. Basbas : 05-23-2007 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:39 AM #40
PB&S
Gerrard Wielder of Ego

I used to be pro 'Big 10' not anymore though since I sat down and thought about it.

For those of you that are pro 10 commandments in places like school, court houses and federal buildings, then you would have to be ok with going into a court room and having a judge display shar'ia law ingraved in stone behind his bench.

And if you want prayer in schools then you will have to be ok that sometimes when your child prays they will have to do it on a rug facing Mecca before the start of class.

Freedom of religion means ALL religions ALL the time. If you let one religion through the door of schools and courthouses then you have to let them ALL in. If you as a follower of your faith are ok with following the rules and rituals of other religions when you get a speeding ticket or when your children attend school, then why follow your single religion in the first place?

Personally I want to follow my path, not those of everyone else at the same time.

Original Feedback

Last edited by PB&S : 05-23-2007 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:48 AM #41
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.C. Basbas View Post
Judaism... The only commonly religion in the world who doesn't actively seek new members. Why? Because of a feeling of superiority that is deeply ingrained in the Torah... Chosen people? Maybe... Superiority complex? Hell yea.

:shrug:

Don't get me wrong, I'm no anti-semite, I actually dislike religion (aka blind faith) in general, but what with all the issues in Palestine (Israel..? ) it seems like none of the Abrahamic religions are completely free of this superiority complex...
you would actually be incorrect in your assessment of no active proselytization. Of course that also depends on your definition of Judaism as well. which Judaism? Judaism isn't really a monolithic institution. that would be like saying that there is only one Christianity, or only one Islam (thought is sounds good, isn't reality). a Jewish proselyte is considered a "son of Abraham" or a "daughter of Sarah", and in many (all?) Synagogues, is a celebrated event.
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:30 PM #42
JoePsycho
Child molester

Key word here is STEREOTYPICAL. There will always be people who don't fit the stereotype, but I've noticed that most of the adamantly Christian people or those who attend church fairly regularly tend to lecture chastise those who don't agree with them.

Myspace is gay.
Seriously, Myspace is gay.

TexasStorm Hybrid LPR CP Rail WGP On/Off Hybrid Clamping Feedneck Custom Pink-Dyed Bolt Freak HALO B PE 68/45

"Originally posted by WesC: what a waste of money, could of gone towards somethin useful, like a few abortion clinics"