Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-15-2003, 12:47 AM #1
RONIN 23
PBX Paintball

has been a member for 10 years
To those who played the 1st Event.

GPL 2003....new location, 5 prelim fields, 1 finals field, no Philly Eclipse reffing crew and a few other unexplored stuff that the GPL staff has had to deal with as 'virgin' issues on the first Sunday of the new season.

Yes, the Air Line was a problem! BUT it was a problem that every team had to deal with. No one was given any preferential treatment that would have swayed the outcome on any of games that were played.

Did the Air Issue affect the schedule for the day? Absolutely! But some teams were more resourceful than others and searched for solutions on their own. Like going to the Skirmish rec field facility and filling their tanks there. Or had 2 or 3 guys lining up at the fill station while the other members of their team did what was needed to get done to prepare for the next game as quickly as possible.

Was the reffing staff inconsistent? Some would say yes. But then again, these field crews (with the exception of a few) weren't the same crew that reffed last year's events. Eventhough they were wily paintball veterans, it is somewhat unreasonable to expect them to operate like a well-oiled machine on the first event of the season in a new facility and with the number of fields and teams to contend with.

Were there any bad reffing calls made? NAME ME ONE TOURNAMENT THAT ANY OF YOU HAVE PLAYED WHERE THE HUMAN FACTOR DIDN'T AFFECT A POOR CALL MADE ON THE FIELD.

Granted that the first event wasn't free of any problems. But what each player who played should notice is that Cyndi and the GPL staff didn't just sit idlly by and twidled their thumbs while all the problems cropped up. They made the necessary adjustments and paid for whatever was needed to resolve the problems to everyone's content....but sometimes even the best intentions and efforts net negative outcomes. That's life.

Hey players, this is competition paintball. Adversity will exist and challenges must be met. The hurdles there was experienced by everyone and not just your team. Under these conditions your team has but one choice to make.....BE MORE RESOLUTE THAN THE NEXT GUY.

GPL's reputation as a quality tournament series is both hard-earned and well-deserved. But even the best will have bad days every now and then. What we must all do is ask ourselves if we've lived our lives without having any bad days of our own..... and when they happened, have we chosen to rise above it or not.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-15-2003, 05:09 AM #2
sensei

sensei is a founding member
congratulations to the pbx fatal five crew...

for winning first place in the 5-man amateur B division. all that time, money and dedication paid off...
Old 04-15-2003, 02:00 PM #3
freeagent187
F U...Pay Me

can't really win, if you don't play the best teams head to head.
well see who makes it to the finals in the next MERRY go round at this greatly run tournament??
Old 04-15-2003, 08:11 PM #4
RONIN 23
PBX Paintball

Hey Freeagent....

What team do you play for? How was your bracket? And how did your guys fare in the 1st event?
Old 04-15-2003, 08:14 PM #5
Crim's Skilla
$570$

Annual Supporting Member
Crim's Skilla is a Supporting Member
Crim's Skilla is playing at Living Legends VI
Crim's Skilla owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Crim's Skilla supports Team VICIOUS
Crim's Skilla supports DLX Technology
Angry GPL 1ST TOURNY

I REALLY THINK THE AIR LINE SUCKED, I THINK MIN. WAIT FOR SOME PLAYERS WERE ARE 30MINUTES MIN., AND I AM SURE 85% OF YOU WILL AGREE. BUT WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO THESE THINGS CAN HAPPEN, BUT I AM SURE WE ARE ALL PRAYING THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN AT #2. BUT I HAVE TO GIVE LOTS OF PROPS TO CYNDI (GOD LOVE HER) TO DEAL W/ ALL OF THE CHAOS, LIKE TEAMS BEING CALLED TO 2 FIELDS AT ONCE, THE AIR SITUATION, TRYING TO GET ID CARDS DONE ETC...DEFINATE SHOUT OUTS TO THE REFS (BIG PROPS) I THINK YOU GUYS DID A GREAT JOB, I MEAN I GOT THERE AT LIKE 6:00 A.M. AND SOME OF YOU GUYS WERE THERE ALREADY GETTING 4 AIRBALL FIELDS SET UP, REFFING TONS OF GAMES RARELY TAKING A BREAK, UNTIL THE LAST GAME WHICH I THINK ENDED AT LIKE SOMETHING PAST 8:00P.M. AND PROPS GOES OUT TO ALL YOU PLAYERS WHO DEALT W/ THIS ALL DAY, (BUT SOME HOW HAD FUN, ENJOYED AND PLAYED GOOD BALL) WITH THE LONG RIDES HOME FOR MOST OF YOU MY HEAD- BAND GOES OUT TO YOU. AND TO MY TEAM THE SG'S YOU GUYS PLAYED GREAT, AND PLAYED GREAT TEAMS.
XBOX Gamertag: IIIII TK IIIII
Old 04-15-2003, 09:03 PM #6
CYNDI - GPL

I have been reading all your posts and I felt that on behalf of GPL and Skirmish USA, I needed to make a statement.

We cannot seem to express how deeply sorry we are for what happened. As many have said, these things happen unexpectedly. I tried EVERYTHING in my power to get the situation resolved. I went as far as even having tanks emergency delivered and I even paid for them, except that the fittings were wrong and I was unable to use them. I know that whatever I say, some people will still stick by their words. I did eveything in my power to help out the teams. I even offered to wait in line and get thier tanks filled so they can freshen up.

As many of you know, this is not a normal GPL event. But these same people know that if something happenes at one event poorly, it is always resloved the next. We have always tried to improve on each event prior. We do have a solution for the next event and take my word, this will not happen again.

The Reffing is always going to be what you the player sees. Everyone's opinion is different. I can only state what I feel as a promoter's point of view. They did a great job. I hope that every single one of my ref's see that. The 16 hr days they put in is not a lie. We showed up Sun morn at 6am and did not leave until 10:30 pm (after picking up trash and taking down fields). They had to deal with disgruntled players angry with the airline and they mostly had to deal with ME *****ing at them for tring to keep on time. I was hard on them and they came thrugh for me. I Thank You from the bottom of my heart.

To the teams: I can't imagine what is going through your minds right now. I can only hope that you give me and the GPL an oppourtunity to redeem itself.

Thank You for all coming out and I hope to see all your faces again soon.

I would also like to thank those out there Toxic SG, Ronin 23 and those many others that have stood up in favor of the GPL. These are those players that have been there before and have seen what we can do.
Yahoo IM - gpl_promoter
AOL IM - gpl357promoter
Old 04-15-2003, 09:20 PM #7
Crim's Skilla
$570$

Annual Supporting Member
Crim's Skilla is a Supporting Member
Crim's Skilla is playing at Living Legends VI
Crim's Skilla owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Crim's Skilla supports Team VICIOUS
Crim's Skilla supports DLX Technology
Wink CYNDI

CYNDI YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE SORRY FOR ANYTHING, IT'S NOT A PERFECT WORLD, SO SOME PEOPLE WILL HAVE TO DEAL W/ IT. I THOUGHT YOU AND YOUR STAFF DID A GREAT JOB, AND I DID SEE YOU RUNNING AROUND LIKE A CHICKEN W/ ITS HEAD CUT OFF TRYING TO RESOLVE THE SITUATION. I AM A VERY HONEST SPEAKING PERSON, AND I THINK EVERY BODY DID A GREAT JOB.

T-BONE
SG'S
XBOX Gamertag: IIIII TK IIIII
Old 04-15-2003, 11:04 PM #8
Dkwak

Dkwak owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Dkwak owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Dkwak owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Team Inflict agrees with Toxic SG,
This is our first time playing the GPL. Of course it would have been much better to be able to play the finals, and not have problems with the air, and in perfect world to have perfect refs (is there ever such a thing?), but I think that the attitude of the Staff (Cyndi) in trying to fix the problems and not just say "oh well", is the reason we will be back in June. Congrats to Fighting Amish, who are not only a great team but nice guys as well. We look forward to seeing you again...this time with no sun/distance handicap...Ha ha. Best of luck to all teams and we'll see you all at the next event.

See You In the Middle,
Doc: Team Inflict
Old 04-15-2003, 11:31 PM #9
Booyahkai

Booyahkai plays in the PSP
Booyahkai plays in the APPA D3 division
Great performance Doc. Hope ya move up to B so that we'll get a chance to bump heads. Much love to all the other 5 man teams for enduring all the stuff that happened on sunday. Too bad there wasn't any finals. Cuz the true winner should have been decided on the field that was clean as a whistle.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:40 AM #10
Delmarva Paintball
Collecting Nickles

Long Air lines... bummer.
No finals... damn.
Long waits... I was sleepy anyway.

Those things didn't really bother me. The only trouble I had was with the reffing. Before you start up the flamers hear me out. Most of the refs that were there were excellent (especially field 3), but even the greatest crew can't do a good job with only 3 or 4 refs on the field. Plus, the lack of bodies forced them to ref mostly from the sidelines. You just can't do a good job from there.

With this many quality teams, the high number of games, and the large number of fields the GPL needs to make sure there are at least 5 (hopefully 6) refs per field.

Overall I feel it was a quality event, and I vote with my money. We'll be back.

www.TacticalAdventureGames.com
Old 04-16-2003, 10:37 AM #11
Johann13

Smile Thanks again to Cyndi

Yeah, there were a lot of people *****ing in the air lines, but there were also a lot of teams that have been there before telling the new teams that GPL is a quality organization and this was a freak event.

I just wanted to thank Cyndi again for all the hard work she did and all the crap she put up with. Yeah, it was tough for the players but she was getting screamed at by all of us... and she didn't deserve that.

Thanks,

John "Z"
Alpha Paintball.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:10 PM #12
navigator
Roth

navigator plays in the PSP
navigator owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
navigator plays in the APPA D4 division
It's all good don't worry about a thing girl... Everybody will be there for the next event.. And with the reputation your events have I know you'll have everything taken care of by the next event!!!!!!!!!!

Lainway Sports, NY

GearBag Sale DYE, LV1 F/S/T, ECLIPSE
Old 04-16-2003, 01:45 PM #13
dingo
HSIC

A few questions though,

what about the finals?
what about the prices?
are there going to be finals held for the teams that made it in the top of their bracket?
Old 04-16-2003, 02:07 PM #14
CYNDI - GPL

All the scores are in and officially verified and totaled...here are the Official FINAL Results from the 1st GPL Event.

3-Man A
1st Shooters & Looter's A
2nd Jester's White
3rd Cereal Killers
4th Blue Chips

3-Man B
1st Shooter's & Looter's B
2nd Team Tempest
3rd Mixed Nuts
4th Tragic

3-Man C
1st Wizzards
2nd Striker
3rd Solar Storm
4th Extortion

5-Man A
1st Blue Chips
2nd Zero Defect
3rd Shooter's & Looter's A
4th Minutemen Stars

5-Man B
1st PBX Fatal 5
2nd ECX Kamikazee
3rd Fiction
4th Captn Carls Factory

5-Man C
1st Team Inflict
2nd PBX Deadcell
3rd Fightin Amish
4th Ricky Martin Ironmen

The rest of the placeings will be done this week.....the rest of the standings will be placed on our website shortly....

If anybody has any questions or concerns, please contact me at 610-966-4780.
Yahoo IM - gpl_promoter
AOL IM - gpl357promoter
Old 04-16-2003, 03:28 PM #15
Nor Cal Baller

Who is team Fiction? Do they have awebsite?
Old 04-16-2003, 04:07 PM #16
ZERO DEFECT
ZD

Fiction is from Cambridge, Maryland. They practice alot at RT 40 Paintball. I don't think they have a website, but if you need to contact them let me know. Were pretty good friends with them.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:04 PM #17
jkeyser14
Engineer

jkeyser14 is a founding member
Hey Doc

Doc,

If you and Inflict are interested in playing against the Fightin Amish more, i'm sure I could help you guys arrange it. They are our sister team and practice at Taneytown with us. They are one heck of a team and they are learning fast.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:53 PM #18
Dkwak

Dkwak owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Dkwak owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Dkwak owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Absolutely!
I have to talk to the rest of the guys but we are planning on bringing 3 more teams with us to practice out there at Taneytown on 4/27. See if they can make it. It is always better for us to play against better teams because as with Fightin Amish it brings our game up that much faster. Thanks for the invite and hopefully we will see you there on 4/27.
www.pb-addicts.com
http://xpsutah.com/UXP/
1 of 1 Tsunami Gloss DM '11, Spekta Ego CSL, Pure 2 GSL
Old 04-17-2003, 01:26 AM #19
jkeyser14
Engineer

jkeyser14 is a founding member
I'll talk to them, i'm pretty sure House of Pain and Fightin Amish will be there, i'll keep you guys updated.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:27 PM #20
OTSMADMAN
URJAWBREAKSEASY

Well ADOPTED RAGE out of south jersey had a frigin ball..first real gpl tourney and it was a blast..doin rookie this year ..lookin to go "b" next year....all went well and props to cindi and brian ..next one will i'm sure be better...just work the bugs out guys...big thanks to all the teams we played..job well done!
Old 04-20-2003, 09:24 PM #21
spazspike
Banned

spazspike is a Supporting Member
I'll be there on the 27th, finally trying out my Speed let me know if someone needs a body or target dummy.