PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-14-2003, 10:47 AM #1
Kamikaze 302

has been a member for 10 years
1st event

How does everybody feel aout the 1st event.
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2003, 10:57 AM #2
ack
you wanna touch my what?!

ack is a Supporting Member
ack has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I think there's still ppl in the air line...
Old 04-14-2003, 11:28 AM #3
Sturm707
Banned

I think they're still playing semis.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:41 AM #4
barroz
Brownstained Bandits

barroz is a Supporting Member
Still looking for shooters and looters....
Old 04-14-2003, 12:13 PM #5
jkeyser14
Engineer

jkeyser14 is a founding member
Reffing was great, no one I know has any complaints there except for the occassional bad call, competition was great, airlines sucked majorly and threw the schedule way off.

Beginning of the day things ran very smoothly and nice, and by midday, there were almost 2 hour long waits between our games. My team played the VERY last game of the tournament. No suprise, it was in the dark, and the refs couldn't tell who was or wasn't hit, or when they were hit, etc.

The games moving so slow were partially due to the air lines, but my team is going to be debating coming back after such a badly run tournament.

No semi's or finals really made some teams mad too. You can't have a tournament and screw people over by stopping a tournament halfway over. Even if they try to hold semi's or finals another week, most teams can't make the long haul all the way back up to compete, and never should have had to in the first place.

That's just my 2 cents. I had a great time overall.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:22 PM #6
jmd1209

first event

I hated losing to you guys, that's how I feel.
Congrats on second.

Chinese Mike (Shooters & Looters B)

By the way, who is looking for Shooters & Looters, come get some!
Old 04-14-2003, 12:35 PM #7
navigator
Roth

navigator plays in the PSP
navigator owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
navigator plays in the APPA D4 division
Definetly some good competition yesterday..

Congrats to Blue chips for takin 5 man A
and to Zero Defect for a very close second...
Old 04-14-2003, 12:36 PM #8
cpmd

I think that with the exception of the air line and the compressor, I believe that the event was run very well. The GPL staff did as much as they could to try and fix the problem, but there was nothing they could do. The competition was great, and (at least for B division) you got 10 games witch was well worth the money. Plus there were 5 well thought out fields with individual key points to each of them. The only down side that I would recomend would be to put another loud speaker on the other side of the building because it was difficult to hear the teams that were being called if you were all the way at the end of the parking lot. Other wise, I think the event was run very well.

-Chris D.
CR

**** Cobra - ordered gun before Dynasty, came 1/2 way through the season
Old 04-14-2003, 12:53 PM #9
edouble
Photoshop retired

edouble is a Supporting Member
Smile

I think you guys have pretty much summed it up so far. The GPL staff was excellent, the reffing was really good on most fields, they didn't take much BS. Cyndi was awesome with trying to keep everyone happy at 9:30 PM when they were still trying to figure out who had won. Not to mention she is really cute

So after being at the field for 14 hours in the bitter freakin cold wind I still don't know if we placed second or third. What do you guys think?

My team finished first in our Bracket (Am B, division 1) but were third in points, the two top teams in Am B division 2 both had more points then us. If there were a fianls we would have gone in as the second seed, being that we were the first place team in our division, but had fewer points than the first place team in the other division. We would have a higher seed than then the second place team in Am B div. 2 though they had more points than us.

I am going to take a knap, I din't get home until 2:00 am last night!

Eric, team Fiction
Old 04-14-2003, 01:59 PM #10
Squattingdog
STRAIGHT UP OG

Annual Supporting Member
Squattingdog is a founding member
I'm on my dad's screename

Our team (Lost Boys) was the youngest team there. We placed I think second in division F. Airlines sucked, refs were great, fields were awesome, and lots of friendly people..accept for team Ricky Martin Ironmen.

Their a bunch of guys who made fun of my team cause were all 15 or 16 years old saying "oh isnt it past your bedtime" and "why are we wasting our time waiting to play this team". Well funny thing is that was one of our games we maxed. To bad they got first in our divison but we beat them and we beat them bad thats all we wanted to do.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:15 PM #11
ZERO DEFECT
ZD

Congrats to all the teams that played in the event. The A division was VERY tough and we had alot of good games.

Blue Chips- Congrats on 1st place... we had alot of fun ballin with you guys

I agree with Squattingdog... Dont make fun of the young guys... you'd be suprised what they can do!
Old 04-14-2003, 02:40 PM #12
Kappa

my team was all 15-16 year olds and no one was making fun of us, at least as far as i heard. im on team flash by the way, and if any one knows what the final standings were for B and C please post.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:45 PM #13
jmd1209

Lost Boys

Whoever way making fun of the Lost Boys is crazy. They would be lucky to have any of them on their team. Especially little man with the yellow cocker, he ripped shop
Old 04-14-2003, 02:50 PM #14
ZERO DEFECT
ZD

That little dude could ball. I watched him a few times and he tore some people up.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:53 PM #15
jmd1209

Little Man

word, I saw him myself
Old 04-14-2003, 02:53 PM #16
ZERO DEFECT
ZD

jmd1209- Who do you play for?
Old 04-14-2003, 02:56 PM #17
jmd1209

Shooters & Looters B
Old 04-14-2003, 03:03 PM #18
ZERO DEFECT
ZD

Oh alright..

We were talkin to one of the guys on S&L A Division (guy with the leopard headband and red hair I think)... hes cool as ****.

How did S&L B do?
Old 04-14-2003, 04:01 PM #19
Kappa

so no one knows the results for B and C?
Old 04-14-2003, 04:36 PM #20
Sturm707
Banned

Thumbs down

Ummm, did someone say something about outstanding reffing??? Was anyone at the same tournament my teammates and I were at yesterday??? Most of the judges were soo lax, they didn't even get on the field to do their job. Apparently they felt they could make better calls from the other side of the tape line. BTW, you can't make the proper call on a player that's not even on the same side of the field. Field One was a good example. Fields Three and Four were notable exceptions. Those guys were on top of it pretty much all day. If anyone wants to flame me, fine. But don't try to white wash the fact that the ref staff was mostly subpar.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:02 PM #21
NYJets25

Weird *** Scoring

The GPL tournament was extremely fun... however there were many downfalls, first question I have is why did our first game start at 9:30 and not at around 8, and why did we have to wait 3 hours for some games and be on 2 fields at the same time on the other. When making a schedule it is retarted to let a computer do it, they arent as perfect as anyone thinks. We played a team in our division twice and didnt play sick individuals (a team in our division) Just make it a point to look over the schedules and if a team is not at the field, go on to the next one, the refs started taking those matters into their own hands about halfway through the tourny which really sped things up. Whoever ran the tournament did an excellent job with making sure everything was set up right and running smooth and i congratulate all that took part in doing so. But not having a semi really screwed people. We had a bad game that brought our score down but when they started putting the scores up we had a 567 however they took our bye away (80pts) because not all the teams in our division got that bye... i dont kno how that made sense but that put our score down to 487 (7th place) thats just not fair because if there were a semis played that 567 would have stood and we would have got in and who is to say that a team who played in one division with a higher score than us could have beat us, because all divisions are different and that is why the top team from that division moves on to a playoff you can not judge a team from their prelim score u judge them from their finals... other than the scoring and the wait between games we are DEFINITELY coming back for another great GPL event and once again thanks to all the staff trying to squeeze 70 teams onto 5 fields lol
-Angel 04 Speed With Fly LCD MT Conversion

FEEDBACK - http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...readid=1066707