Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-05-2007, 11:43 PM #1
toolbandfan
The dude abides

toolbandfan is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
toolbandfan is playing at Living Legends VII
Want to get into screenwriting.

Well, I've been told I excel in writing, and I've always loved movies, so I figure I'd combine the two and start writing screenplays. One problem is that I never really wrote that much, I guess I lack the concentration, which I'll obviously have to work on.

What would be a ideal method to learn how to write a screenplay? Are there specific textbooks any of you know about? I'm thinking of just signing up for a class at the local community college, but you can't beat free advice.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2007, 12:25 AM #2
[nf]God
ME GRIMLOCK ME AVATAR

There are plenty of books about screenwriting which can be found in your local library...
Old 06-06-2007, 12:40 AM #3
R8s

"How to write a selling screenplay" Christopher Keane
"Making a good script great" Linda Seger

Bad Spellers of the World... Untie!!!

"Political Correctness" is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Killing for Northern BC
Old 06-06-2007, 01:57 AM #4
lop
RAIDER HATE

I wrote a script once. It wasn't very long, but it took me forever. I think when I read through it like I would have wanted to acted it only was like 30 minutes though haha.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:55 AM #5
berniethecat (Banned)
I want my cake everday

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbandfan View Post
I'm thinking of just signing up for a class at the local community college
They can't teach you to tell a story.

There's a million different books written by out of work screenwriters. They all basically say the same thing in different words, some in the same. Just learn to format a script properly. IMDb has a Shop Talk Writers forum, lots of good info.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:13 AM #6
GodOfPaint
ROF Army

I'm just getting into screen writing as well. I'm taking a t.v. production class next year and I've started my own little production group (with me as the director/writer/producer/editor... which I know will be a lot of work) and from what I've seen... the best thing you can possibly do is just start writing short scripts and actually producing them. That way, you can figure out what works best for you and your production. There is one website I would reccomend however... DVXuser.com . Check out the screenwriting sub-forum. It's basically the PBnation of indie filmmaking. One other thing is, if you are just getting into it now, don't waste your money on an expensive screenwriting app. just go download CeltX for free. Its an AWESOME free screenwriting tool. Celtx.com

My Feedback
+14/-0
Originally posted by TheKingMaslowski
"Boy, would I like to cover you in spagetti right now."