Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 09-20-2001, 01:48 AM #1
WarpSpeed
What?

has been a member for 10 years
Low Pressure More Efficient?

to my knowledge, going the route of LP will give you less chances of choping paint. What about gas efficiency? will i get more shots out of my tank?
Advertisement
Old 09-20-2001, 05:03 AM #2
dager
Mega Moderator

dager is a founding member
dager supports Sherwood Forest
it depends on the setup... if setup properly LP can in fact increase shots per tank. however if the setup isnt right you can have a serious gas hog. to give an example.. a properly set up merlin cocker can run at 180psi with very good efficency, a normal shocker will run around the same psi but its the most gas inefficent gun on the market.

-duff

Team ESP
Old 09-20-2001, 06:56 AM #3
WarpSpeed
What?

I have an autococker by the way. And I have heard arguments about it being very effecient, and the other way around too.

so if done correctly LP should yield effecient results?
Old 09-20-2001, 10:05 AM #4
Yochinaman
Gun Gigolo

Yochinaman is a founding member
More like, "If efficiency is done right, LP can be a side effect".

Yochi.
Old 09-20-2001, 10:27 AM #5
Aussie Mike
Sexual!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

It used to be that people tuned their guns (cockers in particular) to be as efficient as possible. They noticed that a side effect was that the preasure was lower than stock.

For some reason (bragging rights probably) the quest stopped being about maximum efficiency and became about minimum operating preasure.

The fact is that if you tune for efficiency you will get a lowered OP. If you go all out to get minimum psi then your efficiency will (with very few exceptions) not be as good as it potentialy could be.

In this, as in life, it is a question of balance - the yin and yang of paintball young grasshopper.

Peace,
Mike.
AALCD #308
"Shiznaz? Bizomb? Bling-bling? Doesn't *anyone* speak English anymore?"
Old 09-22-2001, 02:57 AM #6
WarpSpeed
What?

so what is the right way of going LP to be effecient?
Old 09-22-2001, 03:00 PM #7
Vagabond Soldier
Esh

Vagabond Soldier is a Supporting Member
To make your gun effecient and not to worry about how low you can get the psi. Like stated before a low operating pressure should be looked at as a side effect not a goal. Don't worry about an actual psi number look for a shot count number. On a cocker you would look at springs, valve, 3-way, ram, and bolt. Also your going to want to make sure you use a good barrel/paint match. It is questionable if a LPC does anything to help on newer cocker but on my older ones it does help with shoot down a little.

ESSAYONS

"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said 'Here I am, send me.'" Isaiah 6:8
Old 10-11-2001, 03:14 PM #8
Scott7d
Oooh, Jesuth Christh!!

Annual Supporting Member
Scott7d is a Supporting Member
Scott7d is a founding member
Scott7d donated to help Peyton Trent
Scott7d supports Bob Gurnsey
Scott7d supports our troops

Also using a shorter barrel can lower it slightly since it takes less air to push the ball through. I know this for a fact, but I'm not sure the amount of pressure it does lower and if it's worth it, but I just like using shorter barrels anyways.
"Originally posted by protomatrix101: Scott7d- What you said to A-5 Best will probably help me out to, so thank you for your advice."
Old 10-11-2001, 11:53 PM #9
Smeek
I R pukeboy

Annual Supporting Member
Smeek is a Supporting Member
Smeek is a founding member
Smeek plays in the USPL
Smeek supports Bob Gurnsey
Smeek supports our troops
It's not the length of the barrel but the porting that effects the efficiency/pressure. :p

For example, I can use my 10" freak on my Merlin and it operates at around 215 psi at 285 fps. Or I can put on a fairly low ported, longer barrel like my 12" bigshot or 12" Javelin and my merlin runs much more efficiently and the pressure drops to around 175 psi at 285fps.

Of course a 10" barrel with less porting than the tear drop freak and a longer acceleration zone then the freak would be more efficient as well.
Old 10-12-2001, 12:05 AM #10
Scott7d
Oooh, Jesuth Christh!!

Annual Supporting Member
Scott7d is a Supporting Member
Scott7d is a founding member
Scott7d donated to help Peyton Trent
Scott7d supports Bob Gurnsey
Scott7d supports our troops

I kinda got lost in what you typed smeek......haha but anyways...you gonna be in the winter league at gator Pit ? i wasnt sure if my team (sewer rats) were going to do ISA's or Rod's but one of the players registered us for Gator pit. Anyways ill add you to my aol list seeya
"Originally posted by protomatrix101: Scott7d- What you said to A-5 Best will probably help me out to, so thank you for your advice."
Old 10-12-2001, 12:13 AM #11
Smeek
I R pukeboy

Annual Supporting Member
Smeek is a Supporting Member
Smeek is a founding member
Smeek plays in the USPL
Smeek supports Bob Gurnsey
Smeek supports our troops
Not really sure if we're going to have a team together for winter league or not. If I do play it will be at the pit though. A few of the guys went to college so it's still up in the air on what we're doing. Which rats team did you play on?