PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-13-2014, 11:06 PM #1
tacobelltomkim

has been a member for 10 years
Can't get Empire Sniper over 210 fps

Okay so I finally decided to give pump a try, and bought a empire sniper off the BST. I've read every sticky, searched every thread, and googled this subject to death. I still can't get this marker to get anywhere close to 285. So I'm turning to my fellow pump gods for some help.

Yes, I've found the sweet spot and have turned in the ivg. I can barely get to 210 with the ivg screwed in all the way. I made really small incremental turns via the ivg trying to see if I could get it over 210 with no success. I've even tried screwing in the ivg 1 1 /2 turns and finding the sweet spot and once again no success.(read this method in a sticky). I finally got so frustrated I even went out and bought the check it upgrade kit for the marker and installed it. Once again no go. I'm about to rebuild the regulator, but decided it's time to ask for some help from others.

*Note I did paint to barrel match the paint with a slight underbore when trying to get it set.
tacobelltomkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2014, 10:44 AM #2
apes4us
MO

You're using a standard output tank, no? 800 psi?

Whats the current output pressure on the HPR?
apes4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:13 AM #3
noclue119
D3 to D4 in.... never

Annual Supporting Member
noclue119 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
noclue119 supports Team VICIOUS
noclue119 plays in the APPA D3 division
noclue119 supports Empire
If you took out the front bolt o-ring put it back.

I know it sounds stupid but I couldn't get over 220 FPS without the front o-ring.
noclue119 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:31 PM #4
Ajohnson677

I had the same problem after removing my front o-ring.

Also what's your HPR set at pressure wise? Should be somewhere in the 225-250 range.
Ajohnson677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:26 PM #5
tacobelltomkim

I'm using a 68/45 ninja tank pushing out 650 psi. From the hpr I started at 220 per the manual then dialed back to 180. I've started from a bunch of different points eventually found the sweet spot. That was using an homemade hpr tester I made back in the day not the cheap guage attached to the marker.

When I first started this process I had the front oring on the bolt. When I swithed out to the check it upgrade the new bolt only has 2 orings. Ill throw the old bolt back on to see if I can get it past 220.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:47 PM #6
Ajohnson677

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobelltomkim View Post
I'm using a 68/45 ninja tank pushing out 650 psi. From the hpr I started at 220 per the manual then dialed back to 180. I've started from a bunch of different points eventually found the sweet spot. That was using an homemade hpr tester I made back in the day not the cheap guage attached to the marker.

When I first started this process I had the front oring on the bolt. When I swithed out to the check it upgrade the new bolt only has 2 orings. Ill throw the old bolt back on to see if I can get it past 220.
180 is way too low for your HPR in my opinion. I run mine at ~250 and with my ivg flush I'm shooting around 285fps. Crank that thing up and see what happens. Plus, you're running a 68/45 tank so sweetspotting isnt really necessary. You'll get a days worth of shots off of a fill as it is.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:20 PM #7
Frank_W

Frank_W has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
If you haven't already, check that the valve retention screw is in place. I've seen these work their way loose, basically falling out when I took off the grip frame. It's the brass screw that holds the valve in place. If you installed the springs from the check-it upgrade kit, I'm sure you've already tightened it.

If you're getting good pressures with a reg tester, there's no reason to rebuild the reg yet.
Frank_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:22 PM #8
Frank_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue119 View Post
If you took out the front bolt o-ring put it back.

I know it sounds stupid but I couldn't get over 220 FPS without the front o-ring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajohnson677 View Post
I had the same problem after removing my front o-ring.

Also what's your HPR set at pressure wise? Should be somewhere in the 225-250 range.
I had the same experience! It's funny to me considering how many times I've read people suggesting to remove it to make the pump stroke smoother!
Old 08-14-2014, 07:30 PM #9
tacobelltomkim

First off thanks to all that have responded. I'm a paintball vet, but a pump newb so please bear with me. I'm in no way trying to shoot any suggestions down, and if I'm wrong please school me and let me know.

@AJohnson - I was under the impression that once you get past a certain point it the law of diminishing returns. Once past that sweet spot your velocity actually goes down. Something having to due with air in two chambers blah blah blah. I don't really know the theory yet, but just what I read. If I'm wrong please let me know. Later this weekend I'll crank it up to see what happens. 180 might have been low, but I had read in a post that 180 was a good starting point with the higher flowing check it valve.

@Frank - yes valve retention screw is screwed in, but it's not flush to the body. The one thing I noticed when I first took of my frame off was that the screw was sitting diagonally partially stripped and was sticking out 1/16 of an inch. I was able to get the screw out and changed out the valve screwed it back in with some blue loctite to prevent air leakage. The only problem I still have is the screw isn't flush and still sitting diagonally. Could this be the problem?

Thanks to all
Old 08-14-2014, 08:05 PM #10
Ajohnson677

I thought sweet spotting had more to do with efficiency than velocity. I know when you crank an HPR too far you do lose velocity but I can promise you it doesn't happen at 220-250psi. You definitely need to crank up the psi, I was having velocity issues at 215 which is why I cranked it up some more. It may not be the root of your problem but I guarantee it's a major contributor.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:34 PM #11
Frank_W

I don't think mine sits flush either, but it sitting diagonal doesn't sound great. It's just speculation, but it could be that the valve isn't lining up correctly with the body and not enough air is getting through. I have no idea how much the valve would have to be off to cause velocity problems. If it were me, I would replace the retention screw just to rule that out.

With the check-it upgrade kit, you should be at a lower than stock pressure. The springs are lighter, so the sweetspot should be lower.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:10 PM #12
TheBicklenator

TheBicklenator supports Empire
What kind of ninja are you using? I'm using a ninja sl and was having issues with air. Have you tried backing your tank out slightly?

With the new ninja sl, on my sniper if I screw the tank in all the way it will actually block airflow. Backing it out slightly will sort of fix it, but when i shoot and look at the pressure I get a real slow recharge. Only when i back it out a certain amount will I finally get the right airflow I need and proper recharge. The reason it's doing this is cause of the asa plug (that brass piece). My tank will actually sit flush on that and will seal itself.

Not sure if this is the issue but I hope it helps.
TheBicklenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:41 PM #13
Pump Lord

Any update?
Pump Lord is offline   Reply With Quote