PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-31-2014, 10:12 PM #1
grantlissoy

grantlissoy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
JT Impulse Review

Well, so I've finally used my impulse. I'm going to go over what I think is absolutely wonderful about this marker, and then a few (small) concerns. Let me know if I missed anything that you guys want me to talk about.

1. Price point: $600 new right now. WTF. JT I know when you guys first brought the marker out there was problems selling it which merited the price drop, but this is NOT a $600 gun new. This is a full $1000 marker. No doubt in my mind. Now many of you may know... I had a regulator issue when I first received my gun... fortunately I was able to fix the leaking that day, however I did have a damaged part... still usable but not new. This brings me on to the lifetime warranty. Honestly guys, if you want an impulse just buy it new... I used to only buy used guns but the pricing is so wonderful, and getting something that no one has ever used before and everything is perfect was a great feeling. The lifetime warranty is only for the first owner, but I am sure KEE will help you with most things anyway. Let me say that KEE phone service is CRAP. However, there e-mail service was top notch. I have a new regulator in the mail right now, and after I receive that I shall be very pleased, as my gun will be complete. Question: This gun has been out over a year and just had a price drop, is there going to be a new impulse? That would suck for me haha first time in my life I had a marker that is latest and greatest... I honestly don't want JT to change this gun for a few years its great.

2. Trigger: Ok this trigger is definitely the best trigger (for my personal tastes) that I have ever used. It is SOOOOO good. I've never shot so fast on semi in my entire life. Super solid, and I honestly don't think anybody wouldn't like it. (it is extremely hard to adjust however). I loved my ego 07's trigger, but this is just better. Plain and simple.

3. Ergos: Best gun I've ever held. Hard to explain. Just go pick one up it feels like it morphs to your hand. I will say that I had a very difficult time switching from one hand to the other playing speedball because of the way the regulator is far away from the trigger, but a small price to pay. Such a good gun to hold.

4. Looks: Like the trigger, this is subject to personal taste. I loved the way my ego looks, and in a lot of ways this has very similar features. I think it looks great and have no problems with the aesthetic.

Packaging: I like the case and the packaging. It's adequate enough for me. Sure it's not as good as PE packaging, but I really didn't mind too much. Nice little case for it. Sure, it doesn't have a color manual. Would it be nice? Ya! Do I really care? Naa. I have the manual saved to my phone... If I ever really need it I can just pull out my phone. Nothing major really. Nice quality allen key set, with only the keys used for the gun. That is a GOOD thing. No fumbling around with useless keys. They're also like chromed out and feel nice haha. OK. So it didn't come with grease. If you seriously don't have any dow-33, or dow-33 variant in your house just buy some. I have PE gun grease from when I had my ego. I immediately took off the crap that came on the rammer and replaced it. Worked fine with that, and I will just continue using PE grease since it works great.

Barrel: .689 bore. Good. Is there better barrels? Sure. Would Freak inserts be nice? Sure. Is the stock barrel good for any paint you put through it? Definitely. I will not be changing the barrel.

5. Quality: I thought it felt extremely solid. The paint on my ego 07 was probably a grade higher as I was looking into that guns paint, while I'm looking more at this guns paint. If that makes any sense. Still no issues, looks great. Gun feels great and is very solid, no issues IMO.

6. ROF: Fast enough I promise you.

7. Electronic Board: Ok very simple and easy to use. Annoying how you have to turn it on and off and on again to change the mode, but that's a small price to pay. The one button and trigger in conjunction system is awesome, and is soo easy to program. Much better than my ego 07 which got confusing at times. Also used it an entire day and the battery bar indicated full still... If it's accurate that's good for people who don't want to change there batteries often.

8. ASA: Looks great, works great. Super easy. The only thing I don't like about the ASA is it doesn't purge the system like a newer ego. All you have to do is dry fire once and you're good though no big deal. (Can't dry fire with an lv1)

9. Efficiency: It's a poppet. Extremely efficient. Not sure how it compared to my old Ego. Probably around the same honestly I have no idea. It's very efficient. I play with all-day air and just fill up every round. Never even got close to using half a tank lol. If you need an efficient gun for some reason this will be great no problem.

10. Shot quality/balanced valve: Here is where the impulse shines from my ego 07 and even compared to an ego 11 that I shot. Keep in mind this is what I think when the gun isn't even broken in yet. I found that the best tuning was when the LPR was turned in just a little past flush... just about a turn and a half... with the HPR tuned to 300 fps. That felt super smooth and great to me. Ball on ball the entire time. Didn't chop a ball all day. Seriously this feels miles better than my ego 07. I promise you, it is nearly spool valve smooth. Just astonishing, better than I expected. Whatever Empire/KEE/JT did to this balanced valve system... BRAVO. You succeeded. I preferred the shot to my friends Dangerous Power G5 which is a spool. Seriously, it just shoots better than an ego 11, no ifs ands or buts. (I have not shot an lv1, so nothing I say is used to compare it to an lv1... comparing to an ego 07 and an ego 11). Now the gun is semi loud. Nothing insane or annoying. A lot of people shoot dye/proto products at Camp Pendleton where I play and those were the only guns on the field quieter than my impulse. However I liked the Impulse sound signature better. You can hear it, but it's actually a nice noise, and sounds nothing like an ego IMO.

Concerns and questions: Is there a new impulse coming out? (see above in the first section)
Gun didn't come with replacement eyes, screws, or detents. Anybody know where I can get them if I need them? Also, the filter screen for where the reg screws in? That's new to me but I like it haha. Is that a wear item? Will it need replacing after time?
Warranty: Best warranty ever. Getting a new regulator. Can't complain. KEE e-mail customer service is great. They turned a bad situation into a good example of the fact that they want to help me out. I appreciate that, and it gives me high hopes for when I still have this gun many years from now (which I DEFINITELY WILL) this gun isn't going anywhere anytime soon. However, does the warranty cover big things such as the solenoid and balanced valve? I'm assuming it does but you never know. Also anybody who has one? Do you recommend servicing the balanced valve? I haven't touched it but if its a good thing to do I totally will.

Let me know if I missed anything, or if anybody has any questions for me (also try and answer mine haha)

If anybody from JT/EMPIRE/KEE is reading this... I just want to say thank you... I am very happy with my gun and that you took good care of me for getting a new regulator. It's my favorite gun that I have ever used no doubt in my mind.

Anybody considering buying one of these: Just please buy it. It really is worth it. It's undervalued I promise. Stop screwing around. If you love ego's and think you should never give it up. I thought the same thing... Honestly ego's are fantastic, my second favorite gun out on the market (again have not shot an lv1). The Impulse is now my favorite.

Pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d9ugl8dtc...kzyJPVmwa?dl=0

Last edited by grantlissoy : 09-01-2014 at 05:03 PM.
grantlissoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2014, 10:37 PM #2
naxalite

naxalite owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
naxalite owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
naxalite supports Empire
nice review, I'm with you, this is a great marker
Old 09-01-2014, 03:37 PM #3
SilentBall55

I am pretty sure the JT Impulse is getting dropped from the JT product line since it is so scarce to find at the dealers.

I pretty sure Empire is going to re-release it at WC for $1000, with minor cosmetic exterior changes, a new rubber grip, and EMPIRE startup logo for the software.

The Impulse is terrific as is and no changes will be made. This should be good news to existing JT Impulse owners in regards to warranty.
SilentBall55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:26 PM #4
imped4now
BTFU

has been a member for 10 years
Silent, where did you hear that info? I'd be interested to know if it's from a reliable source. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened, nor would I be against it. The marker is excellent as is--can you imagine if the LPR was relocated so that it was no longer protruding from the front, if the grips were no longer ugly (hate the white bits), and if it was macroless (don't care about this but it would be a big selling point for many others)? They'd sell like hotcakes at $1000.
imped4now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:45 PM #5
grantlissoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
Silent, where did you hear that info? I'd be interested to know if it's from a reliable source. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened, nor would I be against it. The marker is excellent as is--can you imagine if the LPR was relocated so that it was no longer protruding from the front, if the grips were no longer ugly (hate the white bits), and if it was macroless (don't care about this but it would be a big selling point for many others)? They'd sell like hotcakes at $1000.
hey imped just wanna thank you... probably wouldn't have bought the impulse without your recommendation... stay active man. In terms of the LPR I prefer it sticking out like that on the impulse and the older egos... I simply think it looks cool but then again, I don't rap my finger around the top of the barrel like many do. I agree on the grips... not quite up to par... but if they annoy you that much I'm sure you can find replacement grips somewhere... as for the macro less... well sure maybe improve the ergos a tad. I just don't get why everybody wants to get rid of them? It makes the gun sooo much more simple and is an extremely proven technology.
Any thoughts on the rest of those questions?

Last edited by grantlissoy : 09-01-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:55 PM #6
imped4now
BTFU

Grant, as for your questions....

If you want spares, contact KEE. I'm sure they'll be able to get you set up. I wouldn't mind having some spare detents, screws, etc. myself.

The regulator filter is not a wear item. Just make sure it's seated properly before screwing the reg in so that you don't crush it.

I'm not sure what the warranty covers or doesn't cover but usually KEE is pretty fantastic about it. I wouldn't worry too much about the valve--it's simple and sturdy and won't be a worry for quite a while. The same goes for the solenoid.

As for the grips, I love the feel, I just don't care for the white accents. And no, replacement grips wouldn't be that easy since the Impulse grips are properly molded and sized for the Impulse frame.....the stock grips are the only grips that will work, as far as I know. It's not like old .45 frames and standard wraparound grips. It's not a big deal, I just wish they were all black.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:01 PM #7
grantlissoy

Quote:
Grant, as for your questions....

If you want spares, contact KEE. I'm sure they'll be able to get you set up. I wouldn't mind having some spare detents, screws, etc. myself.

The regulator filter is not a wear item. Just make sure it's seated properly before screwing the reg in so that you don't crush it.

I'm not sure what the warranty covers or doesn't cover but usually KEE is pretty fantastic about it. I wouldn't worry too much about the valve--it's simple and sturdy and won't be a worry for quite a while. The same goes for the solenoid.

As for the grips, I love the feel, I just don't care for the white accents. And no, replacement grips wouldn't be that easy since the Impulse grips are properly molded and sized for the Impulse frame.....the stock grips are the only grips that will work, as far as I know. It's not like old .45 frames and standard wraparound grips. It's not a big deal, I just wish they were all black.
Ya you're right about the grips... didn't even think about that. The PE grips definitely look much better (I know I talk about PE a lot it's just what I am used to and accustomed to comparing things to) Ya maybe in a little while I'll ask them to just send me some detents, eyes, screws and what not. Nothing really important right now honestly as it's all new. I never changed the detents on my ego after 2 years, I doubt they will wear out very fast. But then again, I've pretty much decided to keep this gun a pretty long while already... mainly cuz of that warranty. So maybe one day it will need new detents. Hopefully it keeps on working for a while as I plan on playing A LOT this year. Ganna put quite a few cases through this marker... $$$
Old 09-01-2014, 05:04 PM #8
imped4now
BTFU

Good, keep us updated with how it's doing. I'd recommend keeping it all stock aside from the barrel, set the LPR to 2 turns in from flush, dwell 12ms and adjust the HPR for velocity. Keep the ram lightly lubed with good stuff (I like Lurker lube) and the bolt orings clean and dry. As long as the regs are also lightly lubed and the marker is kept clean and well maintained then it should just keep on working and working very well.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:54 PM #9
grantlissoy

Quote:
Good, keep us updated with how it's doing. I'd recommend keeping it all stock aside from the barrel, set the LPR to 2 turns in from flush, dwell 12ms and adjust the HPR for velocity. Keep the ram lightly lubed with good stuff (I like Lurker lube) and the bolt orings clean and dry. As long as the regs are also lightly lubed and the marker is kept clean and well maintained then it should just keep on working and working very well.
Yep sounds great, I'll add some details after I've put about 30 cases of paint from it. I plan on playing in a tournament in a month (nothing official just a recreational tournament with my friends... all of us making teams and staking a case of paint lol... winner takes all the paint to keep it competitive) So that will be when I am just ripping through this gun and will get to REALLY feel how it performs other than first impressions. Regulator is now open so I will have no problem maintaining that *phew*. In terms of lube, for anybody who has an impulse or wants to get one. Whatever they put on for me when I first got it was not very good grease and was not done that well. It sort of looked like they just dropped the internals of the gun in this really weird half dow-33/half air tool oil combo. It was smeared all over the rammer and the internals of both regulators. When I first got it, it made my gun leak. After I cleaned most of it off it still was not shooting right. Took off all there stuff, and replaced with PE grease. Immediately fixed the problem it was like night and day. So anybody who buys a new one of these just do that before you even shoot it. The only reason I used PE grease was because it's what I had after I sold me ego 07. I had used it for about 2 years and it always worked great so I have no reasons to change, especially since its good quality. I'm sure lurker works great too I have no experience with it. Just use whatever your favorite grease is, it's all basically the same.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:27 AM #10
grantlissoy

Just got back from a night game with the Impulse. About the 4th time using it. I think the gun is also starting to get a tad bit smoother and quieter as well. I can tell a difference. Thinks it's starting to get broken in.
Have not had a single issue with the gun other than the reg which is now fixed and the terrible grease that came on the gun when I first got it.

First time playing a night game at Camp Pendleton. Went with a buddy of mine... basically nobody there. So the refs came out and played with us, a few more people showed up later and we had a 3 v 3 game going on for a few hours pretty fun. But to the point, one of the refs had an axe and I asked to switch guns with him for a while. I'm not a big fan of the axe. Don't quite like the way it feels in the hands. It does shoot ropes though. However, I was not playing speedball. Preferred the Impulse.
I also did an efficiency test. About 7 pods at 3100 PSI (that's all that the field tanks would fill up to that day) on 13.8 bps ramping at a speed of 335 fps using old crappy paint. This was at the chrono and I sat there shooting ball after ball. Did not play with the fps set that high, only did it to make sure the gun could handle it.
I did this test more to sort of break the gun in more and make sure it would handle any situation I could throw at it down the road. Efficiency isn't a big deal to me, but if it is to you I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to get even better efficiency out of it (especially by turning down the FPS).
It performed well and seems to be responding well to PE Gun Grease... albeit it a tad bit inconsistent but tonight I was shooting a case of 9 month old paint. Also, the ASA is one of the best non-purging ASA's out there. Very satisfying to use. All the parts seem to be put together very nicely. No play in anything. It's all smooth on the marker, each piece fits very well. Example: ASA lever, trigger... no side to side play... back cap fits nicely. I know those sound like small things, but you can definitely notice it when owning the gun. Feels good.
All-in-all I am so far quite pleased. Much prefer the gun to the axe.
My only gripe is that I find it very difficult to change hands with since the reg is so far away from the trigger frame. A small price to pay for good amount of comfort. More details to come next month as I can't play for the next few weeks.
Can only hope that the gun isn't completely replaced with an all new model at world cup. I took the jump due to the price drop. I'm really enjoying having one of the most modern and best performing guns on the field at a third of the price of higher end markers. That would change with a new impulse :'(
In the end though, it's still a so-far-so good marker.

Last edited by grantlissoy : 09-13-2014 at 03:39 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:58 PM #11
imped4now
BTFU

Awesome man.

I played today and used mine for 75% of the time. Perfection, as always. Several players wanted to handle it and all loved how light and comfortable it is. One of the kids had an Etek 3 that sounded like a cannon and he commented on how quiet and smooth my Impulse is.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:30 PM #12
jamesmcmahon1

jamesmcmahon1 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
The impulse stock trigger is awesome! I haven't tuned the gun at all. Fires great
jamesmcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:10 PM #13
p8ntballer101
YETI

is it consistent over the chronograph?
APPA Player ID#9837 - CURRENT RANK: D3
FIRE IN THE HOLE!~ DP G4 APE RAMPAGE LED BOARD TECHT BOLT SP FULL FREAK W/ AA TIP ROTOR 77cu NINJA TANK DYE HYPER3 REG GO PRO W/ INCEPTION DESIGNS MOUNT(onT e c h P B@:: p8ntballer101 )
p8ntballer101 is offline   Reply With Quote