PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-12-2007, 09:46 PM #1
•STICKYBEAR•

818 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Hand Built pinhole camera images [56k Go away]

Ive been gone for quite some time because ive been buisy with alot of work but i have had some time for my new passion. i hand built the camera from a truffle box that is a 4 inche tall cylender that tapers from the bottom to the top forming a distored and wrapped image. i cut a 1x1in square out of the side and put coper sheet over and spray painted the inside black. then i poked a hole in the copper with a sewing needle to give it an about F/128 Fstop. then i put a black piece of heavy paper over to protect the shutter from unwanted light. The images come in as a negative, upside down, and mirrored; and you can eaither contact print them onto another sheet or scan them in and invert in PS; which is what i like to do.
the images come out at 10in X 3.75in. most of these images were test images to get the exposure time right so i knew it by heart for when i only had one shot on a trip. i exposed most at 12-20 seconds which is why some have a slight double exposure, which is from me eaither shaking my hands or nudging the cylender. im going to make larger cameras and probably end up buying my own developing chems. so that i can continue over the summer when i wont have a full darkroom at my hands. and now the images, all i have done is scanned the prints, inverted them and that is all. no processing. sorry if the images are a tad large, when i scanned them they were huge. also some are out of focus because of holding the shutter screen and shaking

perm ban empireballer and the problem will be solved"

Last edited by 818 : 04-12-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2007, 09:47 PM #2
Rock Force
lolwut

Rock Force is a Supporting Member
Resize dude then I'll take a look at them.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:48 PM #3
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
make 'em smaller and I'll be able to see 'em

800 on the long side is always safe.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Old 04-12-2007, 09:49 PM #4
Bucketheadpb

put one in the girls toilet and send the pics to me

"Originally posted by paintballer777: My dad is in the room....What if I would have clicked it and some girl is crapping on herself in a bathtub"

"Originally posted by EmpireEmperor: It's not like he hasn't seen your mom's website before."
Old 04-12-2007, 09:50 PM #5
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucketheadpb View Post
put one in the girls toilet and send the pics to me
grow up
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Old 04-12-2007, 09:52 PM #6
sharps990
wdp4life

sharps990 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
extremely cool idea with the curved neg. but so far i dont think you have used it as well as you could. dont interpret that as saying your idea sucks, i think it is actually quite sweet, just the images so far arnt spectacular.

PAINTBALL: Its a drug and we are all addicted.

Angel 90 Empire.
The Angel 90 EMPIRE
Ride. Or Die.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:02 PM #7
•STICKYBEAR•

there resized

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharps990 View Post
extremely cool idea with the curved neg. but so far i dont think you have used it as well as you could. dont interpret that as saying your idea sucks, i think it is actually quite sweet, just the images so far arnt spectacular.
i didnt have much to work with because the camera doesnt lean or tilt well because of its circular bottom and there isnt much intresting things to shoot at my school. ill be taking it out into the world to take more images

Old 04-12-2007, 10:05 PM #8
Army_of_Orr
OG PhotoMob

Army_of_Orr is a Paintball photographer
I have wanted to try this for awhile, just haven't go the chance yet.
these look pretty good for just scanning them in and ps work
Old 04-12-2007, 10:09 PM #9
•STICKYBEAR•

its quite easy, all you need is a any type of box that has the dimensions of a cube, electrical tape to make seels, thin 20 gauge copper sheets, sewing needle and black heavy paper.

the cube dimensions work the best because when you are working too close you get a shallow image plane, too long like a shoe box and you looks middle gray tones. the only hard part is seeling up and getting the exposure right because its one shot unless you have a box to reload it.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:11 PM #10
chinesefood
The Name's Tom Lee

cool, i did this in lclass witih oatmeal containers, the round ones. our teacher made us do contact prints though.

Curved negs, sharps?? With these pinhole cameras you tend to get alot of distortionnn.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:12 PM #11
Army_of_Orr
OG PhotoMob

Army_of_Orr is a Paintball photographer
how do you seel it? pitch black room and put the photo paper(I'm guessing) paper in? could I use illford multigrade work?
Old 04-12-2007, 10:14 PM #12
chinesefood
The Name's Tom Lee

yeah any photo paper will do, just do it in a light safe room, doenst have to be pitch black. And like 818 said, you can do some test prints, take the paper out in ur developing room, develop it and you will have a negative. let it dry and then put it over another piece of paper under an enlarger then the resultant picture should be a positive.

Edit: IMO its a paintstaking process of figuring out correct times for exposure and canotact sheet exposure.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:18 PM #13
JungleLarry (Banned)
Algorithms and bananas

Good experiment, but I've seen and done much better. It's not that hard to get a good image and none of those are really any good.

Kudos to you for trying it though.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:12 PM #14
JakespIMP
Whatchu know about that

i made one of those last month, turned out some nice pics
Old 04-12-2007, 11:22 PM #15
geekyrocketguy

When I did a pinhole camera in photo class, I took a 1/3" thick block of wood and expoxied it to the bottom of my "camera." I then drilled a hole and was able to mount the pinhole camera on a tripod...

This allowed me to get clear photos without having to set the camera on the ground.

My Photo Site
Old 04-12-2007, 11:33 PM #16
•STICKYBEAR•

i have plans to take a film canester and drill the same side diameter drill bit into a cut off 2x4 then cut a box into it for the shutter and mount a hinge with a lock on the bottom and top so that i have a sturdy exoskeleton and semi heavy to reduce shaking

Old 04-13-2007, 12:54 AM #17
N0SEY (Banned)

Or you could just buy a goddamn camera.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:09 AM #18
chinesefood
The Name's Tom Lee

Nosey,Pinhole cameras are an art. You don't even understand art, I dont even think you know what it is, GTFO..
Old 04-13-2007, 07:12 AM #19
Mr.jon
www.JonDuberman.com

Mr.jon plays in the APPA D5 division
pretty cool stuff, pics of the camera?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:37 AM #20
N0SEY (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesefood View Post
Nosey,Pinhole cameras are an art. You don't even understand art, I dont even think you know what it is, GTFO..
You get a dodgy.

I'll talk to Jeff Quittman however I please. He's my *****.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:39 PM #21
Crane
Infotography

Crane supports our troops
First one is